Menu

Our heater is broken!

JustEm

As of last night cold air is the only thing coming out of the vents.  I'm so sad and so cold.  I tried to get the panel open to see if the pilot light was out but I'm to weak.  Dh is going to look at it when he gets home around noon.  But neither of us have ever dealt with a gas furnace before so we don't know what to do if the pilot light is out. I guess I gotta find someone to come out  and look at it

• Sad 2

Just now, hjffkj said:

As of last night cold air is the only thing coming out of the vents.  I'm so sad and so cold.  I tried to get the panel open to see if the pilot light was out but I'm to weak.  Dh is going to look at it when he gets home around noon.  But neither of us have ever dealt with a gas furnace before so we don't know what to do if the pilot light is out. I guess I gotta find someone to come out  and look at it

Oh no!  That is the worst feeling.  If you have the previous owners phone number I would call them and see if there is a simple fix while I wait on the repairman.  Do you have any electric heaters?  Wall mart has them for around $15 and they can at least keep one small room warm. 

• Like 2

Oh, no! Sending you warm thoughts and hopes that it gets fixed quickly.  That happened to us last year. 😞  It turned out a part was going bad in our heater.  On the upside, we got a good idea of most immediate repairs when we bought the house this year.  On the downside, I really wish our savings weren't being set aside for the price of a new heater.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Oh no!  That is the worst feeling.  If you have the previous owners phone number I would call them and see if there is a simple fix while I wait on the repairman.  Do you have any electric heaters?  Wall mart has them for around $15 and they can at least keep one small room warm. 

This is actually at my parents house, which we've been living at since April.  We don't close on the new house until the end of Feb.  Sadly, my parents are on a cruise and unreachable.  I imagine my dad could walk me through a few things over the phone if he was available.  We have one small electric heater, which I have set up in the living room with doors closed, I may run out and get more but I may just decide to stay somewhere else until the heat is fixed.  

Do you know any of your parents' neighbors?  A lot of times homes in the same neighborhood have the same heating set-up.  Maybe someone on your street could help you?

I remember my dad having to re-light a pilot light and it was sometimes tricky, but I don't think it ever required hiring anyone.  I think it was just a matter of patience.

If you are uncomfortable with trying to re-light the pilot, I would definitely not mess with it.  (I personally don't even know how to light a gas stove, so this would be way beyond my comfort level.)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Junie said:

Do you know any of your parents' neighbors?  A lot of times homes in the same neighborhood have the same heating set-up.  Maybe someone on your street could help you?

I remember my dad having to re-light a pilot light and it was sometimes tricky, but I don't think it ever required hiring anyone.  I think it was just a matter of patience.

If you are uncomfortable with trying to re-light the pilot, I would definitely not mess with it.  (I personally don't even know how to light a gas stove, so this would be way beyond my comfort level.)

They converted to gas when they moved in and I believe most of the houses in this neighborhood are still electric.  I know the neighbors directly next door are still on electric.  

I can light a gas stove and youtube videos I've watched doesn't make re-lighting a pilot light too difficult.  I'd give it a try if I could get the darn panel off the furnace!  Only a few hours until dh's home!  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

They converted to gas when they moved in and I believe most of the houses in this neighborhood are still electric.  I know the neighbors directly next door are still on electric.  

I can light a gas stove and youtube videos I've watched doesn't make re-lighting a pilot light too difficult.  I'd give it a try if I could get the darn panel off the furnace!  Only a few hours until dh's home!  

What kind of panel is it? Is the status light (amber or red) flashing?

Youtube can be your friend.  type in the type of furnace and pilot light or something along those lines.  Also, look for the owner's manual.. They usually have some type of troubleshooting guide in the back.   Good luck!!  It's SO cold... Do you have space heaters?   

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

oh, one more thing.  I the pilot is actually out you should turn off the gas!! This is very dangerous and considered an emergency situation.  You should call the gas company.  Is it natural or LP?   LP delivers... are you sure there's enough gas in the tanks?   both will have a strong smell. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would definitely google the furnace name and make.  My furnace panel has a trick to get it off..(You have to kind of go up and out at the same time)  I would google that too. 

Good point!  Shouldn't be a strength thing.

Op, has the filter been changed recently?  That can effect things.

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I would definitely google the furnace name and make.  My furnace panel has a trick to get it off..(You have to kind of go up and out at the same time)  I would google that too. 

It is an up and out kind of open but I have carpel tunnel and can't get a strong enough grip to do it.

Dh got it opened no problem.

• Like 2