Menu

Reluctant 6 yo boy curriculum help

Davesgirl

Background: 

My soon to be 6 yo ds is the youngest of 6 children, with the next closest in age being 5 years older and a girl. For Kingergarten this year, I did the basics that I used with all my children: Phonics Pathways/Ordinary Parents, HWOT, MFW K, Explode the Code, Saxon 1. He is a quiet kid, but loves to be interacted with, like with reading about science topics or playing a game (sigh), but he despises coloring pages and writing.

I know there are so many more options out there since I last homeschooled a first grader, and I want to make our time together engaging, short and sweet, while still following a loose classical model. I feel very overwhelmed looking at curriculum websites for this age again!! He is used to flying under the radar as I homeschool the others and manage the household, so he is not super excited about sitting down to learn. :) What are some suggestions for curriculum that do not require much preparation on my part, would be academically on target, and still engaging, short, and fun?

Thank you!

Edited by Davesgirl

32 minutes ago, Davesgirl said:

Background: 

My soon to be 6 yo ds is the youngest of 6 children, with the next closest in age being 5 years older and a girl. For Kingergarten this year, I did the basics that I used with all my children: Phonics Pathways/Ordinary Parents, HWOT, MFW K, Explode the Code, Saxon 1. He is a quiet kid, but loves to be interacted with, like with reading about science topics or playing a game (sigh), but he despises coloring pages and writing.

I know there are so many more options out there since I last homeschooled a first grader, and I want to make our time together engaging, short and sweet, while still following a loose classical model. I feel very overwhelmed looking at curriculum websites for this age again!! He is used to flying under the radar as I homeschool the others and manage the household, so he is not super excited about sitting down to learn. 🙂 What are some suggestions for curriculum that do not require much preparation on my part, would be academically on target, and still engaging, short, and fun?

Thank you!

What is he "reluctant" about? Sitting down and doing Official School Work? Well, that's kind of age appropriate. 🙂

You used quite a mixture of phonics materials. Mightn't it be better to pick one? Both PP and OPGTR are complete phonics courses; ETC used to refer to itself as "supplemental." But in any case, they all teach differently. Just pick one.

Can't you read about science topics and play games? He'll just be six; seems as if that would be enough for a sixyo.

I haven't used MFW, so I don't know what's required as far as prep time.

• Like 4

I think I am more looking for ideas for the extra subjects (grammar, social studies, science). Something a unit study would provide.

The reason I wrote PP and OPG is because OPG came out AFTER I was already used to PP, so I keep PP handy. I don't really use it that much, maybe a page here and there for extra practice. So I shouldn't have even mentioned PP.  I use ETC for completely different skills- he doesn't mind a page or two a day.

I don't want to have to come up with the science topic or game or whatever. I have found that it doesn't work with my life with having so many other people dependent on me right now, and it just doesn't get done. I need and open and go- that isn't too heavy. Something that will be easy to show at a review as well is helpful. Thanks for considering :)

I think it first comes down to budget.  What are you willing to spend?

I like a lot of the products from Lakeshore Learning.  They're pretty sturdy and easy to use.  For example, if I was looking for quick social studies, I would pair up their Social Studies File Folder Games ($35) with the Evan-Moor basic geography workbook if I wanted something to show in a review.

For science, I'd be inclined to do Mystery Science which is mostly open and go (gather small things like tin foil and print the worksheets).  Or I'd slowly get the Can Do sets from Lakeshore and focus on one a month.

If my kid wasn't reading well, grammar wouldn't happen.  That can wait.

• Like 1

For history, can you just read Story of the World aloud and call it a day? Maybe do some of the books or activities from the activity guide sometimes? I mean, it's intended for first graders. My boys enjoyed it well enough. They retained a tiny bit.

For science, how about buying a set of Let's Read and Find Out books? I know you don't want to do a bunch prep work, but really just getting a pile of random science books from the library and reading a couple each week is fine. As long as you're going to the library regularly, it's really very little. I mean, you know yourself and homeschooling though. If you don't think you'll do it, I would buy some  science books like that and watch some science videos like Magic School Bus. Or get a Magic School Bus science kit or two. They're not amazing, but we liked them at that age.

If you wanted to liven up the stuff you usually do, I'd say ditch the Saxon for something else. Saxon is solid, but it's not fun or inspiring to most kids. If it's in your budget, something like Right Start. You said he likes games. It's scripted. It'll have all the bits and bobs and games there for you.

• Like 2

I'd say if you're doing MFW and phonics and math and handwriting, then he's probably set for K. If he doesn't enjoy seatwork then just play a game with him and read him a science book from the library each day.

But I totally get the desire to do a little more - I've got a #6 caboose baby due in April and will have a 7 year gap between him/her and the next oldest and I'm already wondering how I'm going to "spice it up" for them when the get to school age. I'm considering some simple experiment books from Janice Van Cleave like Science Through the Year and Science Around the World and maybe a gentle world geography/cultures like Galloping the Globe.

• Like 1

I also second (or third or whatever) the idea that you're already doing enough, by the way. I mean, adding in some read alouds or changing up your curriculum options may help or improve things, but what you're doing is fine, which you probably know.

I think if you feel something is lacking, it's probably not the academics, it's probably the magic. You know? The special moments. And sometimes when we have curricula that have lots of projects and games and so forth, that's a way to get that special homeschool magic. But also, sometimes the magic is that you do school for barely an hour and then send a kid out to play and he does for hours. Or maybe the homeschool magic is that you take walks in the woods or bake together. Or maybe it's that you hand off the making magic piece to a class where the kids do science experiments and make slime and look at bugs under magnifying glasses or whatever. I think all kids need special moments... but they can come with siblings, with outside activities, with you doing things that aren't homeschooling per se. Some families have those moments with homeschooling... and others have them other times.

• Like 2

I would do something like Mystery Science, Generation Genius, and Brain Pop videos, along with science books from the library.

I would also just carschool history by listening to Story of the World on audio.

For math, I prefer Singapore or Beast Academy to Saxon. Prodigy Math is free and a very fun math supplement.

I agree that there is a whole lot of phonics. My kid hated OPGTR, but loved Reading Eggs and buddy reading with Progressive Phonics (free). A lot of people also like Learn with Homer and Teach Your Monster to Read.

My Kindergartner DD6 loves science.  It's her favorite subject. We get science related books from the library, watches Magic School Bus, Scishow Kids and Dr. Binocs on YouTube, science experiments with Daddy. We also try to do science related field trips, when we can.

She is an only child though. DH is also home during most of our school days to help.

He does the hands on science. I read the books. She picks her science shows.

Honestly, for science, I would watch Magic School Bus and check out a bunch of Let's Read and Find Out books from the library and then get extra books on any topics he likes from there.  I honestly think that's probably the best curriculum for a first grader.  For history, I'd do Story of the World 1, but you could also do geography or American history, if he'd like those better.  But math, phonics, and handwriting are pretty solid foundation wise.  I do love First Language Lessons 1/2 (the old one), but I certainly don't think it's in any way mandatory to do grammar in first grade.  

I think Farrar is right with it being the magic that's what seems to be missing.

I have a little guy that's almost two, with his next oldest sibling being 8.  So I totally see where you're coming from, even though I'm not quite there yet age-wise.  I've used MP's Grade 1 Enrichment this year with my 8yo, and I feel pretty certain I will use that with my little guy as well when he gets to the K stage.  It adds just enough without making me get lost in planning, papers, etc.  The book ties in science, history, a craft (totally optional), art study and music study on a K-2 level.  Very FIAR-ish without all of the mom planning and piecing together.

It's a beautiful thing.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much- it's just been a long time and my time is already stretched with just grading math with the olders! 

What is MP Enrichment? I feel so old, I don't even know the acronyms anymore! LOL!! I used to know IT ALL, then my kids became teens. .  .  .   . 😄

• Like 2

The enrichment is from Memoria Press.  They're listed at the top of this page :https://www.memoriapress.com/curriculum/art-and-music/ 

You don't have to get the art cards, but they add SO much! This was a total splurge for me and I am incredibly thrilled we got it for this year. It's been so perfect for us - my daughter loves it, you can make it as heavy or as light as you'd like, there is very minimal prep, and I don't have to search all over Creation looking for supplements.

I've always enjoyed making my own enrichment/unit studies, but I am waaay past having the time (and energy) to do things like that now that I have bigger kids where the educational demands are more extensive.

I totally understand your time commitments that you already have with olders!  The MP enrichment would be a great fit for you.  There's free shipping right for the month of February!  Woo hoo!

Mathematical Reasoning is a nice colorful math curriculum. Explode the Code or Jolly Phonics is nice for phonics.

Abeka Science is nice for science. Great Science Adventures is another great idea for science. The student makes a mini book and does an activity.

For Bible study there is Memory Press, which uses the Bible story book called The Story Bible. A Bible Promise book is great, or products from https://scripturememory.com/ or http://www.thywordcreations.com/ for Bible memory.

Edited by acresoft

You mentioned he likes games?   When you get to addition (not like the general concept/number sense type stuff...but down to memorizing the math facts), I suggest Addition Facts that Stick.   It's a short scripted visual/tactile lesson followed by a week of playing a game for practice.   So simple, I love it.

Someone suggested story of the World.  Some people just listen to the audio and love it (and then maybe do a craft or something for each culture...not necessarily each lesson).  If you have a child who struggles with listening (since it doesn't have many pictures), I've started to blog about this and have suggestions for short attention span and other suggestions for making it more visual (pictures to go with, videos, ect), and ideas for the first 11 chapters (so far).   I put way more work into it than necessary at first but the things like videos and links to pictures and such are easy and pretty open and go.  

http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2016/09/story-of-world-our-lessons-plans.html

If you are looking for a good easy unit study type of thing for science, I love the Small Square books by Donald Silver on different habitats (backyard, woods, cactus desert, cave, savanna, artic, etc.) .   The writing and illustrations are beautiful, and there are little activity suggestions (usually with pretty common household objects) suggested every few pages.   I've done unit studies with these just reading a section a day, doing the activity if there was one, and then sometimes looking up a related you-tube video or doing something from pinterest (but just the book and the activities in it are usually enough).   Some of the activities are meant for doing in the environment (not so much artic and so forth, but backyard, cave, woods, etc.) 

Edited by goldenecho