Menu

What are you eating if...

medawyn

This is our comfort food recipe: Loaded Potato Soup.  It's thick and hearty and makes enough to have it the next day, too.

Other than that our winter staples are:
-chipotle chicken chili
-baked potatoes
-sesame beef over rice
-French onion soup (Julia Child's recipe) with grilled ham and cheese on rye
-beef stew with homemade bread
-curries

When the weather gets wicked, all the heavy foods come out.  We eat grains mixed with our vegetables: barley, risotto, farro..just to give them an extra oomph.

• Like 1

Well, I'm NOT in the cold zone at all, but we just had this cozy recipe that went over well -- and I'm not a squash fan!

Acorn Squash with Sausage & Apple Stuffing
serves 4 -- makes 8 stuffed squash halves

- 2 small acorn squash, cut in half, with a sliver cut off the bottom of each 
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning (I used 1 tsp each: dried basil, oregano, and thyme)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lb. Italian sweet sausage
- 1 small onion, finely copped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1-2 small apples, cored and finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 Tbsp. bread crumbs (or coconut flour for gluten-free -- I used coconut flour)
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese (divided into 2 halves)

* Preheat oven to 425˚. Cover a baking sheet with foil and lightly oil it.
* Prepare acorn squash -- cut in half, scoop out seeds and attached "gook/fibers" with a spoon and discard; cut each squash in half around the "circumference", and slice a sliver cut off the bottom of each. Brush cut surfaces with olive oil; season with salt & pepper, Italian seasoning, and cayenne. Place on foiled baking sheet.
* Bake till easily pierced with a fork, but still holding shape -- about 40 minutes.
* Meanwhile, brown sausage in a pan over medium heat; add onion and celery after a few minutes. Sautés till sausage is completely browned. Add apples and sauce another 2 minutes or so. Stir is sage and bread crumbs (or coconut flour), and 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese. Remove from heat.
* Spoon meat mixture into acorn squash halves; sprinkle with remaining parmesan; cook an additional 15-20 minutes, until parmesan is golden and getting crispy.
• Eat with a spoon, scooping out a mix of squash and filling in every bite, and leaving the rind.

Note: I think next time I might add a little finely chopped kale to the sausage mix as it is cooking. If your acorn squash are large, then be generous with the sausage and other ingredients -- you can always cook additional sausage filling separately in an oiled baking dish. JMO, but you want a ratio of filling to squash that heavily favors the favorable filling rather than the bland squash. 😉

• Like 2

We had chili over the weekend with grilled cheeses and salad.

Tonight will be chicken tacos

Tomorrow I am planning lasagna and salad

Wednesday beef vegetable stew and biscuits

Thursday - loaded baked potatoes with steamed veggies and tomato soup

Friday - dh is cooking steaks in the wood boiler and I'm making a hashbrown casserole along with stuffed peppers (cream cheese and portabellas)

And I told dh that I'm taking a break on Saturday so he better plan on ordering pizza. (I have a gluten free one in the freezer I can pull out for myself.)

Sunday my mother and mother in law are cooking the noon meal, and we'll eat light snacks in the evening.

• Like 1

Okay -- this one doesn't warm up the house like using the oven all day to slow cook something, BUT, it's a super fast/easy comfort food favorite here: Chicken Taco Soup, from Cooking With Trader Joe's. (45 minutes, start to finish!)

The only thing I do differently from the recipe is to cut the meat off the thighs and cut into bite-size pieces *before* putting into the pot -- it cooks faster, and I don't burn my fingers trying to to fish the bones out and shred the meat off the bones on the counter. I do throw the bones in for added flavor, and scoop them out just before serving. 😉

• Like 2

This is a family favorite and I just got the stuff to make it this week.  We serve with warm french bread and butter and sometimes a salad.  YUM....

https://www.mantitlement.com/recipes/beefy-tomato-soup/

I use 1 pound of beef and a whole 8 oz package of cream cheese in ours.  I also let it sit in the pan (no heat) with the lid off for about 15 minutes after the recipe calls for it to be done.  We like our noodles more cooked and tender.

• Like 1

Coconut curry chicken. I use this recipe, but I add more red curry paste and I usually just do it in my Dutch oven. 

https://www.lecremedelacrumb.com/slow-cooker-curry-cashew-chicken

I’m also planning

Spiced salmon served with ravioli in garlic cream sauce and vegetable medley

Homemade pizza with sourdough crust

cheddar brats, sour kraut, beets, and roasted veggies.

DS has to make pasta for a cooking class, so we’ll make a meal of that.  

That’ll take us into the weekend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BarbecueMom said:

I didn’t really take the weather into account for my menu, but I do have ham and potato soup on the menu for Wednesday, when it’ll be 0F outside.

And then grilled chicken this weekend when it’ll be back up into the 60’s.  Bring on the Rice Krispies in my sinuses.

This made me laugh so hard!! I assume this is an autocorrect error? Or is there a meaning here that I'm not getting?

4 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

This is our comfort food recipe: Loaded Potato Soup.  It's thick and hearty and makes enough to have it the next day, too.

Other than that our winter staples are:
-chipotle chicken chili
-baked potatoes
-sesame beef over rice
-French onion soup (Julia Child's recipe) with grilled ham and cheese on rye
-beef stew with homemade bread
-curries

When the weather gets wicked, all the heavy foods come out.  We eat grains mixed with our vegetables: barley, risotto, farro..just to give them an extra oomph.

So funny you wrote this.  We had a chipotle chicken casserole for dinner tonight and loaded baked potatoes for lunch!  We had beef stew for dinner last night though I made it with sweet potato, turmeric and cumin.  We often eat French onion soup and risotto too!

Tomorrow we will probably have potatoes and cauliflower au gratin.  I have been making quiches lately.  Also, last summer I froze a bunch of tomatoes and so tomato soup has been a go-to soup for me and it tastes so fresh.

• Like 1