Menu

Hand soap safe for marble counter?

klmama

6 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

And also, seriously?  Marble is that sensitive?  Dumbest thing ever.

Yes, it is! Luckily, I discovered this before I put it in another bathroom😳 My contractor, who remodeled my bathrooms, says he’s always surprised the number of people who will put it on kitchen counters.

8 hours ago, klmama said:

Aren't these household cleaners?  They might be good for cleaning the counter.  Do you use them as hand soap, too?

Absolutely. I haven't used anything except LOC since 1975. Used it to bathe the babies, too. 🙂  I used Basic H before then, and it's similar.

7 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

And also, seriously?  Marble is that sensitive?  Dumbest thing ever.

I have marble countertops in my rental. It's terrible! Anything you put on them gets sucked in and stains... once I left a stick of butter (wrapped) on the countertop to soften for cookies, and when I picked it up, there was a perfect rectangle stain on the counter. 😫 Luckily I got that stain out.

I'd much rather have something I can't ruin!

1 minute ago, ZiMom said:

Am I the only one that didn't know this???

Nope.  If I'd known, I wouldn't have bought the pretty counter that complemented our bathroom so well.  And I wouldn't have trusted the box instructions that said it was sealed and should be resealed in a year.  It did say to clean with a neutral cleaner, but it didn't say not to get hand soap on it.  So stupid.  They knew it was for a bathroom.  

Rats.  I just looked up the ingredients for Ellie's Amway cleaner, and it has citric acid, too.  Does anyone have an ingredient list for Shaklee's Basic H?  I can't find it on the website.  It claims to be okay for sealed marble, but I'd like to know ingredients, just to be sure.  No acids!!!

Any other safe product recommendations for caring for/cleaning this marble or for washing hands would be very much appreciated!

1 hour ago, klmama said:

Nope.  If I'd known, I wouldn't have bought the pretty counter that complemented our bathroom so well.  And I wouldn't have trusted the box instructions that said it was sealed and should be resealed in a year.  It did say to clean with a neutral cleaner, but it didn't say not to get hand soap on it.  So stupid.  They knew it was for a bathroom.  

Rats.  I just looked up the ingredients for Ellie's Amway cleaner, and it has citric acid, too.  Does anyone have an ingredient list for Shaklee's Basic H?  I can't find it on the website.  It claims to be okay for sealed marble, but I'd like to know ingredients, just to be sure.  No acids!!!

Any other safe product recommendations for caring for/cleaning this marble or for washing hands would be very much appreciated!

I use a baby wipe to wipe down the counter. 

5 hours ago, klmama said:

What do you use to get the stains out?  Have you found any kind of sealer that helps prevent stains?

Nothing that I know of😔 You can have it polished and supposedly that will take out the etching. I don’t have a car buffer but I’d be willing to try that.

It's hard to imagine that the little bit of LOC (or Basic H, if it has citric acid) that might splash on a marble counter top when someone washes his hands would be strong enough to etch the marble. We wash babies with LOC, KWIM? Besides, is the sink itself marble? Or is it the counter that's marble?

47 minutes ago, Ellie said:

It's hard to imagine that the little bit of LOC (or Basic H, if it has citric acid) that might splash on a marble counter top when someone washes his hands would be strong enough to etch the marble. We wash babies with LOC, KWIM? Besides, is the sink itself marble? Or is it the counter that's marble?

Well, actually human skin and hair work best in a slightly acidic materials group—that’s why the shampoo commercial says ‘Low pH’ as a feature.

• 4 years later...