Menu

Very organized and documented Ap English Lit class?

My daughter really needs to take an AP English Lit class for her college of choice.  They aren't super competitive but they (and I) would like to see at least one or two AP classes on her transcript, especially since she is homeschooled.

What I am looking for in an Ap English Lit class is:

1. Excellent documentation

2. Extremely detailed and clear syllabus 

3. Asynchronous if possible

Due to her learning needs as well as personality, the number one most important factor for her in an online class is predictability, clear documentation, consistency and not relying on the teacher's words as much as the documentation, to learn.  A class that is more info -based and less research-based is also best although I don't think that's a problem with English.  

Thanks for any suggestions!

Look at Pennsylvania Homeschoolers to see if that fits your needs.   My DS is taking AP Language & Comp this year and it has been very well documented and organized.   There are no mandatory live lessons, but there are due dates for assignments, so it might not meet your needs for being asynchronous.   At least one of the AP Lang teachers also teaches AP Literature & Comp.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

Integritas Academy with Lange, but it's live with recordings, so possibly it could be asynchronous. What I like about her class is that it's small, so she's flexible with the schedule. 

I believe she got AP approval for English and composition, not AP Lit but I could be wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

I believe she got AP approval for English and composition, not AP Lit but I could be wrong.

Lange's school has been approved to provide AP courses, and she's offering the AP Lit class (she emailed us recently so may not have put it up yet on her site?). We're not going to add the AP prep part of Lit 3 since we're not ready for AP yet. It was bad enough going through AP Latin, I need a break lol.

Edited by crazyforlatin
Grammar
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, crazyforlatin said:

Lange's school has been approved to provide AP courses, and she's offering the AP Lit class (she emailed us recently so may not have put it up yet on her site?). We're not going to add the AP prep part of Lit 3 since we're not ready for AP yet. It was bad enough going through AP Latin, I need a break lol.

Good to know! I had outdated info it seems.

yeah one easy APin 8th was enough. I don’t know when and if we will crack that can open again...

Edited by madteaparty
  • Like 1

My daughter is in Ms. Serbicki's AP Lit class with PA Homeschoolers and it has been very, very good! There are weekly live classes, but you are not required to attend them live (just listen to them). The assignments have been well thought out, her expectations clear, and her comments very helpful. I can recommend her class without reservation.

• Like 1

I know you have talked with her, but I just want to give another plug for Maya Inspektor at PA Homeschoolers. Sbe is an amazing teacher, and so organized. My ds took her AP Lit class during the 2015/2016 school year and scored a 5 on the exam. My dd took AP Lang last year with her and scored a 4 on the exam (100% of th class scored a 4 or a 5). Dd is taking her AP Lit class this year, and once again loves it!  She really is gifted in teaching the students and improving their writing and analysis. I can not recommend her class highly enough!

• Like 1

I also highly recommend Blue Tent & Brigid Thompson! Super organized, very clear expectations, asynchronous, encouraging and helpful feedback! Also, the kids in the class are super! DD is currently in AP Lit now and took AP Lang last year with Blue tent and prior to that took Honors English 2--we are BIG fans. If I am remembering correctly, everyone in Blue Tent's AP Lit class scored a 4 or a 5 on the exam last year. 😃

I HIGHLY recommend Liliana Serbicki!!

She teaches at both AIM Academy and PA Homeschoolers. She is extraordinarly organized, detailed, and clear. There are clear, concise handouts for every assignment as well as web links.

She eases students into big projects (mid-term) and timed essays in a gradual, methodical way.

• Like 1