Menu

Question for blog readers

My4arrows

When I'm interested in a blog it is usually because of one of these things:
-Clear pictures and pros/cons of a curriculum I'm interested in.  I want to know how it's used, how they tailor it to their own style, etc.
-A cumulative year progressing with a clear focus and a perspective I may not have (for example, I love seeing how someone implements biology studies and nature studies in elementary, but I don't want it to be hodge-podge.  I want a nice index on the side with posts tagged/labeled "cell structure" "the human body: muscles")
-A very different approach, but willing to share resources and links.

I'm not interested in the day to day much unless that is done well and not a Christmas-letter style recap of the week.  If it is mundane, then I'd like a daily or near daily post, lol, to show the good and bad.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, StellaM said:

I only read two regular blogs any more.

Neither are homeschool - well, one is a homeschooling family, but it's not a major part of her blog.

What brings me ? Probably the mix of photography and text, the aesthetic, the craft (more for one than the other) and a glimpse into the lives of two thoughtful others.

Take a look at them if you like:

https://www.posiegetscozy.com/

https://www.gsheller.com/

Other blogs I visit, I tend to come from Pinterest, and I'm in search of resources for tutoring or homeschooling or classes. I don't read any regularly.

I read Posie too!

I follow several quilting related blogs, most via Bloglovin.  I tend to skim the topics and the main photo.  I only really read the few that catch my eye.  Along the way I have started following a couple of travel, book, and cooking blogs.......once again it’s the photo and main header that pull me in.  I like clear descriptions and useful information in general,  because I am using most blogs to become better at quilting photographs are very helpful.  

My favorites are Bonnie Hunter’s Quiltville and talltalesfromchiconia.  Those I have delivered to my email and read all of them.

• Like 1

Not homeschooling but I read manybtravel blogs when I was planning a big trip about a year ago now. The very honest reviews are rare, I think a good amount of blogs are taking $ from advertisers or whatever and it’s all these instagram perfect trips. For example the pictures people post from the Great Wall, they are all from ONE section which is absolutely mobbed with people but this doesn’t show in the pictures. We went to a different area and it was the only place we ever went to in China when for a good amount of the time we were totally alone. The blog MOST useful to me was a very bare bones (no fancy graphics) from a single mom traveling with her girl. I actually wish I had read even closer because she previewed what my Beijing experience would be 😉

and some of my most memorable experiences were things no one had blogged about (I feel similarly about curriculum sometimes 🙂 like why is no one else here?!?! This is amazing!

Edited by madteaparty

I follow a ton of blogs on feedly.  I usually find new ones on Pinterest. Attractive vertical photos with clear labels of a topic I am interested in (from decorating trends to solving home school problems) is most likely to make me click through to a blog.  If I see three or more things I am interested in (projects, major how-to information that is new to me, etc) makes me trust someone enough to add them to my feedly.  Three or more posts in a row I have no interest in are often enough to unsubscribe.

The biggest difference between professional bloggers and crap is investment.  Did they learn enough about web design to make an attractive site without annoying pop ups?  Did they take the time to learn photography and editing (photoshop or lightroom)? Do they have a decent grasp of grammar?  Are they both themselves with a likeable personality and also have something new to share?  Are they simply so disciplined about whatever makes them unique that it's fun to visit their site even if I NEVER plan on living like them? Do they show the screw ups too or are they pretending to be Martha Stewart, who judging by her recipes is a terrible cook but thinks she's Julia Child? Pretending to be perfect turns me off.  Being genuine but adding value by sharing stuff that she's figured out recently is endearing.

I like mild controversy to discuss - nothing super polarizing though.  Stuff that people will actually enjoy debating or whining about, and still remain friends afterwards.

I used to participate on a blog, and my job was to come up with "question of the day" ideas.  Each day there would be an open-ended question where people would share about themselves in a way that helped us know each other better.  For example - what was your favorite hobby as a child?  What is a talent you always wanted to develop?

The comments section was obviously important.  There needs to be an ability to comment without people being able to trace your actual identity.  (But the blog owner can block / delete people who are jerks.)