Menu

Dizziness with flu? Is this ok?

PeterPan

I don't mean to be scared/paranoid, but with that girl dying out of the blue from the flu, I am. Is being dizzy with whatever is going around this winter ok? Ds had been acting not himself for a couple days. He has autism, so that's not so unusual and could be anything. But around 5:30 he went to bed complaining of a headache and developed a fever. It has stayed in the 100-102 range, but he's also complaining that he's very DIZZY. That's the part I'm not sure about. Some body aches, slight nausea, but it's the dizziness that seemed unusual. 

He's acting calmer since the fever kicked in (which is common with autism), and he's keeping down light liquids (coconut water and chicken soup broth). Is there anything for me to worry about or is he fine? :blush:

1 hour ago, lovelearnandlive said:

If his inner ears are affected at all that could be causing the dizziness. Do you think the headache could be ear related?

Ok, so now I am thinking here. He went snorkeling this weekend in the pool and said it made his ear hurt. At the time I googled and it said to do a decongestant, so he got Sudafed a couple times over a couple days. (one Sunday, one Monday) It seemed to relieve the fullness in his ear and pain.

I went ahead gave him a Sudafed just now. He said he's snuffy/congested but that his ear is not hurting or full like it was Sunday. Can't hurt at least.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, J-rap said:

I'd probably think nothing of it.  Dizziness goes hand-in-hand with flus and other sicknesses in our household.

I know, I'm pathetic, lol. Actually it's that normally you get NOTHING from him on body stuff, no words at all. We've been working on interoception (knowing what your body is feeling and putting words to it) so now he's giving me these descriptions and it's freaking me out! LOL I don't know whether what he's saying is ER level or nothing, because I'm used to getting nothing. 

Coming off the barotrauma from the snorkeling, I tend to think this flu or whatever is connecting with that and aggravating it. But if it doesn't clear up or some to improve in a day, I'll call the ped. His fever is actually down a bit (101.5 vs. previous 102), so I don't think anything is getting worse or that he'll be calamitous if I go to sleep. The dog is attending to him.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ***** said:

Make sure he is getting plenty of liquids, he could be feeling dehydrated which can cause the dizziness. Hope he is feeling better soon. 

This.

My then 13 yo DD had the flu last year and we ended up in the ER because she woke me up in the middle of the night and said she couldn't catch her breath and felt dizzy. Turns out she was dehydrated, which caused a racing pulse, which caused the shortness of breath and dizziness. After fluids she was much better ... and as a bonus she learned she should listen to her mother when told to drink something even when she doesn't feel like it 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, so now I am thinking here. He went snorkeling this weekend in the pool and said it made his ear hurt. At the time I googled and it said to do a decongestant, so he got Sudafed a couple times over a couple days. (one Sunday, one Monday) It seemed to relieve the fullness in his ear and pain.

I went ahead gave him a Sudafed just now. He said he's snuffy/congested but that his ear is not hurting or full like it was Sunday. Can't hurt at least.

I’d take him in to have his ears checked. When my DS had swimmers ear, he had been swimming (obviously), had a lot of ear pain, dizzy, and fever. I had no idea it could cause all of that, but medicine helped him fairly quickly. So unless you’re sure he’s been exposed to flu, I’d be thinking ear infection with those symptoms and history. 

Hope he feels better soon!

Edited by mmasc
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I’d take him in to have his ears checked. When my DS had swimmers ear, he had been swimming (obviously), had a lot of ear pain, dizzy, and fever. I had no idea it could cause all of that, but medicine helped him fairly quickly. So unless you’re sure he’s been exposed to flu, I’d be thinking ear infection with those symptoms and history. 

Hope he feels better soon!

Yeah, I'm calling the ped right now. He's been sipping coconut juice, water, OJ enough that he shouldn't be dehydrated. The amount of dizziness and the length of the fever concerns me. Like usually with the flu you get a fever for a while and it breaks. This has been like 14 hours straight, all the same, and the dizziness he's saying is significant when he tries to stand. 

4 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Yeah, I'm calling the ped right now. He's been sipping coconut juice, water, OJ enough that he shouldn't be dehydrated. The amount of dizziness and the length of the fever concerns me. Like usually with the flu you get a fever for a while and it breaks. This has been like 14 hours straight, all the same, and the dizziness he's saying is significant when he tries to stand. 

Poor little guy. 😞 I’m glad you’re getting him in. Let us know what the ped says and how he’s feeling later. 

• Like 1

We're back! Well I'm glad we went, because the ped was able to check everything. They seemed concerned too and did something with orthostatic blood pressure, I don't know. They were definitely concerned too. So the conclusion was no trauma from the snorkeling (yay!!) but that he was congested before he went in, the pressure set off the pain, the decongestant helped, and then the full virus kicked in. So it's 7 days of misery but then he's cleared to snorkel again. And since there was no ear damage, it means he's ok to do depths too, anything he wants! And the ped wrote me a scrip for a med that we've sometimes needed that we might need on the cruise. So it was a two-fer and we got a lot done.

So I don't know if he thought I was silly. I mean the progression makes sense after he explained it, but I couldn't see in his ears to be SURE, kwim? And I can't just leave my kid THAT DIZZY and not be sure what's going on. I didn't feel like that would have been responsible. If worse had been going on, I would have felt bad for waiting.

So definitely our best outcome! No ear infection, rest, hydrate, it will all pass, and he'll be good probably to snorkel any depth he wants.

• Like 5