Menu

Vision issue - has this happened to you / should I be a little concerned?

SKL

This only happened once, this morning, and it seems to have passed.

I went to church and had a super hard time following along with the readings.  I tried to read the "announcements" handout and could only read very slowly, like maybe 3 letters at a time.  This went on throughout the service, though it got gradually better.  Even toward the end, I could not follow and when I tried to read ahead, I left off some words like they were not there.  It also seemed like the pastor left off words that were there - i.e., I did not hear the words I expected to hear.  Like he skipped a whole phrase, but maybe that was just my brain missing it ....

I have been jetlagging a lot, missing a lot of sleep.  It was especially hard for me to wake up this morning and get going.  Last night I was up well into the wee hours reading stuff on the internet.  And I really should be using reading glasses, which I usually don't.  So maybe I was just tired, but it was so weird.

Any thoughts I should think about?

Honestly, I would go to my Dr with this. Perhaps microsleep (that's so interesting!), perhaps something else, but whatever the reason, anything neurological deserves a look by a professional.  I don't quite understand avoiding the Dr at all costs, when a simple appt can help either put fears to rest or start the healing. So go!

• Like 1

I think it's safe to wait a bit and see if it resolves on its own.  If it doesn't, I'd start out with my eye doctor.  Maybe it's something simple with that. If that doesn't solve it, you can see your doctor.

One thought... Have you ever had migraines?  Vision can get really bizarre during a migraine, even a very mild one.

• Like 3

I had googled a little last night, and the migraine angle did come up.  So did stroke, but I have pretty low blood pressure etc. so I don't think it's that.

I believe I get migraines sometimes, though I have not been diagnosed.  It does make me feel weird when I get one.  But yesterday I don't recall having a headache during the symptoms.

8 minutes ago, SKL said:

I had googled a little last night, and the migraine angle did come up.  So did stroke, but I have pretty low blood pressure etc. so I don't think it's that.

I believe I get migraines sometimes, though I have not been diagnosed.  It does make me feel weird when I get one.  But yesterday I don't recall having a headache during the symptoms.

You can actually have a "migraine" without the headache.  My dh would often get those.  Language can be affected with a migraine as well.

(On the other hand, my dh also had very low blood pressure, and he had a stroke...  Not to scare you and I'm quite sure it wasn't that for you!)

• Like 3

I've had several migraines that I first noticed while reading. (I read a lot.) In those words had "lost" letters or whole words were missing. Clearly this was involving more than my eyes as I kept struggling to read the words instead of thinking, oh dear, something is wrong here. This missing letter/word thing soon resolved into the more typical zigzag or halo pattern of my regular aura migraines and I figured out what it in time to avert the painful headache with medication, soda (works for me), and sleep in a dark room. 

Now, I have a friend who also had an episode or two with "missing" words on the page, turns out she was having numerous tiny seizures.

I would definitely get checked by a neurologist for all three mentioned in this thread migraine, seizure, and stroke especially with both the visual and auditory "skips"..

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Kalmia said:

I've had several migraines that I first noticed while reading. (I read a lot.) In those words had "lost" letters or whole words were missing. Clearly this was involving more than my eyes as I kept struggling to read the words instead of thinking, oh dear, something is wrong here. This missing letter/word thing soon resolved into the more typical zigzag or halo pattern of my regular aura migraines and I figured out what it in time to avert the painful headache with medication, soda (works for me), and sleep in a dark room. 

I get this when my blood sugar is low (hypoglycemia).  I drink juice and lay down to rest and it’s usually resolved within 20 minutes.

Since soda works for you I wonder if you have the same thing.

• Like 1

This doesn't seem like a vision problem to me, especially since it happened with listening as well as reading.  It seems neurological, like your brain just wasn't processing input for a time.  Get some rest!  Lack of sleep has profound effects on your brain's ability to process information.  If it happens again, see your doctor.  It might take awhile to see a neurologist, but ask for that.  

• Like 1