Menu

FDA says Fluoroquinolones cause aneurysms and aortic dissections

kbutton

http://app.info.fda.gov/e/es?s=2027422842&e=173973&elqTrackId=78D8A052C380BCBFF284D754BEBE9730&elq=19db3f7b4ed347e4b6c2bc5bb0647254&elqaid=6375&elqat=1&fbclid=IwAR1NfQWqrO5hFQTC6jZ268ee2hYRBKVGugiG_iNd_u5xYVZCRjFwxaRH_ys

A U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) review found that fluoroquinolone antibiotics can increase the occurrence of rare but serious events of ruptures or tears in the main artery of the body, called the aorta.  These tears, called aortic dissections, or ruptures of an aortic aneurysm can lead to dangerous bleeding or even death.  They can occur with fluoroquinolones for systemic use given by mouth or through an injection.

Fluoroquinolones should not be used in patients at increased risk unless there are no other treatment options available.  People at increased risk include those with a history of blockages or aneurysms (abnormal bulges) of the aorta or other blood vessels, high blood pressure, certain genetic disorders that involve blood vessel changes, and the elderly.  We are requiring that a new warning about this risk be added to the prescribing information and patient Medication Guide for all fluoroquinolones.

Health care professionals should avoid prescribing fluoroquinolone antibiotics to patients who have an aortic aneurysm or are at risk for an aortic aneurysm, such as patients with peripheral atherosclerotic vascular diseases, hypertension, certain genetic conditions such as Marfan syndrome and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, and elderly patients.  Prescribe fluoroquinolones to these patients only when no other treatment options are available.  Advise all patients to seek immediate medical treatment for any symptoms associated with aortic aneurysm.  Stop fluoroquinolone treatment immediately if a patient reports side effects suggestive of aortic aneurysm or dissection.

Most people have no idea if they have an increased risk for an aneurysm (aneurysms are underdiagnosed, and physicians tend to be stuck on outdated information about aneurysms and familial risk), so if you've been on these drugs and there is a family history of sudden death, you might be wary and talk to your doctor about screening (usually starts with an echocardiogram, though a regular echo just measures size--it can't detect a dissection). 

If you have family members who have had aneurysms or other heart conditions, and you've been on these drugs, it might be worth a conversation with your doctor. Aneurysms are largely asymptomatic until they are dissecting. Dissections are frequently deadly. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

I can't believe these are still on the market.

My husband was prescribed these for a UTI last year.  So stupid.  Zithromax would probably have worked just fine.

I have had long lasting tendon damage from Cipro--not sure whether I will ever be fully past it.

Wow.  I wonder if my recurrent tendon problems, including a catastrophic rupture that has never healed properly, is related to taking Cipro.  

• Sad 1

I was given Levaquin about 15 years ago for a particularly tough infection that wasn't going away. Within a few days of starting it my legs were cramping, and when I called my doctor he told me to stop taking it immediately. If they didn't already know it was dangerous back then, I think they at least had suspicions. 

37 minutes ago, StephanieZ said:

Sucks for me. They're pretty much the only class of antibiotics I can safely take due to various drug allergies. And, I have high b.p. Not good. Let's root for no more infections for me. Ever. 

I'm in the same boat. I try very hard not to get sick to the point that I need antibiotics, because I'm allergic to almost everything...except Cipro and Levaquin. This is not good news for me.

• Sad 2

47 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Cipro is one of the few that will usually knock out a bad uti for me.   I’m on daily macrobid so I haven’t been on cipro in a year.  I had an ‘unprovoked’ blood clot 2 yrs ago but it wasn’t dvt.  I’m allergic to sulfa, so....  Anyway, I guess sometimes we have to weigh the risks and rewards.  Uti’s are unbearable to me and quickly go to my kidneys.  Both parents have kidney damage and decreased function.  Grandad died of kidney failure in his 40’s.   Just one more thing to be concerned with... 🙁

This will sound nuts, but it was a miracle cure for me . . .

D-Mannose supplements. I take one capsule daily, or two (before and after) if I'm getting lucky that night. (1/2 tsp in liquid also works great, but the capsules are handy for convenience. I keep both on hand.)

If I get the least little worry that a UTI might be brewing, I take a dose every 2-3 hours or so for at least 24 hours, or until the symptoms are well gone or explode such that I do have to seek medical attention and get an ABX. I'll even get up during the night to take it. 

I went from having a UTI about every 4-6 weeks for over a year (and the lovely yeast infections post-antibiotics each time) to none at all for a couple years, then one when I slacked off on the D-Mannose about a year ago. 

It's changed my life. 

I use the NOW brand on Amazon. I would guess many brands are perfectly good, but that's a brand I trust, so that's what I use. 

From what I understand, it's incredibly safe. It's a simple sugar with such a low dose that it's even safe for diabetics. Apparently the sugar molecules selectively bind with bacteria in your bladder and wash those critters right out of you. 

If you mix the powder in liquid, be sure to consume it within a few minutes, or it can taste bitter. If you drink/eat it within a few minutes, it just tastes mildly sweet. 

I sure wish I'd discovered it during my grandma's or mother's lifetimes. They battled UTIs for decades, even being single and not sexually active. I hope/expect to be taking it for the rest of my life and sure hope it continues to be the miracle cure it has been thus far!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StephanieZ said:

D-Mannose supplements. I take one capsule daily, or two (before and after) if I'm getting lucky that night. (1/2 tsp in liquid also works great, but the capsules are handy for convenience. I keep both on hand.)

If I get the least little worry that a UTI might be brewing, I take a dose every 2-3 hours or so for at least 24 hours, or until the symptoms are well gone or explode such that I do have to seek medical attention and get an ABX. I'll even get up during the night to take it. 

I went from having a UTI about every 4-6 weeks for over a year (and the lovely yeast infections post-antibiotics each time) to none at all for a couple years, then one when I slacked off on the D-Mannose about a year ago. 

It's changed my life. 

I use the NOW brand on Amazon. I would guess many brands are perfectly good, but that's a brand I trust, so that's what I use. 

From what I understand, it's incredibly safe. It's a simple sugar with such a low dose that it's even safe for diabetics. Apparently the sugar molecules selectively bind with bacteria in your bladder and wash those critters right out of you. 

If you mix the powder in liquid, be sure to consume it within a few minutes, or it can taste bitter. If you drink/eat it within a few minutes, it just tastes mildly sweet. 

I sure wish I'd discovered it during my grandma's or mother's lifetimes. They battled UTIs for decades, even being single and not sexually active. I hope/expect to be taking it for the rest of my life and sure hope it continues to be the miracle cure it has been thus far!

D-Mannose has been a lifesaver for me, too!   I first heard about it on here.   Maybe it was you who told me!

• Like 1

Those who are knowledgeable in these things...do you believe / know if oil of oregano has truly antibiotic properties? I am not sure but can say, anecdotally of course, that last year it seems to have knocked out a persistent sinus infection. I kept thinking I had a recurring cold until I realized it was a full-blown sinus infection. One weekend of oil of oregano (just a couple of drops in tea) every 4-6 hours knocked it out. I never saw a doc. I  absolutely want to avoid antibiotics if I can due to having been on heavy hitters for 1.5 years after an illness.

• Like 1

Hi Liz,
Their have been numerous studies into the effectiveness of Oregano Oil on bacteria.  Over the past 10 years.
With bacteria, they exist in 2 states: 'Planktonic and Biofilm'?
With Planktonic, bacteria are individually free roaming. As individual cells.
But what is more important, are Biofilms?
With Biofilms, bacteria come together.  Then using 'polysaccharides'.  They build a structure called a Biofilm. Which they house themselves within.

Though these Biofilms, present a major problem.  As Anti-biotics can only penetrate and kill the bacteria, in the outer layer of a Biofilm.
Which has been a major obstacle, to treating Bacterial Infections with anti-biotics..  Where a Biofilm has formed.

But numerous studies of Oregano Oil, have shown that firstly it can 'inhibit the growth of Biofilm'.  Then secondly, to cause the Biofilm to break down.
This is particularly relevant to 'Sinus Infections', as the bacteria form Biofilms in the sinuses.  Which can then become Chronic.
So that Oregano Oil, provides an important way to overcome this issue of Bacteria and Biofilm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, J-rap said:

D-Mannose has been a lifesaver for me, too!   I first heard about it on here.   Maybe it was you who told me!

I was giving my MIL supplements of d-mannose while she stayed with me because the battle of UTI and then candida absolutely plague her. I don’t think subsequent hosts have continued the d-mannose, though; maybe they feel badly because she already takes some nine pills for other health problems. But IMO, the constant infections and candida overgrowth will be her undoing. 

14 hours ago, StephanieZ said:

It's changed my life. 

Not nuts at all. My mom had my grandma taking this and it was a game changer. Before the D-Mannose, my grandma constantly got UTI's and was therefore frequently on antibiotics. With the D-Mannose, she had no more UTI's.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 1:53 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

I can't believe these are still on the market.

My husband was prescribed these for a UTI last year.  So stupid.  Zithromax would probably have worked just fine.

I have had long lasting tendon damage from Cipro--not sure whether I will ever be fully past it.

Pulsed electromagnetic therapy can increase tenocyte proliferation which make up tendon (same with chondrocytes in cartilage). A device like the SOTA might be helpful if used regularly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27138553

On 12/22/2018 at 3:27 PM, StephanieZ said:

Sucks for me. They're pretty much the only class of antibiotics I can safely take due to various drug allergies. And, I have high b.p. Not good. Let's root for no more infections for me. Ever. 

On 12/22/2018 at 4:05 PM, MrsMommy said:

I'm in the same boat. I try very hard not to get sick to the point that I need antibiotics, because I'm allergic to almost everything...except Cipro and Levaquin. This is not good news for me.

You might want to consider taking serrapeptase and trying a safer antibiotic. Serrapeptase has been used in Japan and Europe for about 25 years for different conditions but it also appears to help break down the biofilm that protects the bacteria making them more vulnerable to the antibiotic. My youngest (21), who rarely takes antibiotics, was having difficulty clearing an infection and was showing some adverse reactions to the antibiotics. At the start of the third round of antibiotics (!!), I had him take 40,000 IU of serrapeptase each morning on an empty stomach, waiting at least 1-2 hours before eating. Worked well. Cleared right up. Read up on it first if you’re curious. There are a few cons such as do not take with blood thinners.

https://www.selfhacked.com/blog/health-benefits-serrapeptase/#Health_Benefits_of_Serrapeptase

For those with recurring UTIs, more L. crispatus beneficial bacteria could be helpful. IIRC, in some studies they used a vaginal suppository to deliver the beneficial bacteria. Might be worth checking out. (Urine is not sterile, btw.)

I am allergic to almost every oral antibiotic, and I had a full body tendonitis reaction to cipro, so I really want to avoid all oral antibiotics to prevent developing an allergy to the last one that I can take.  When I get any kind of infection starting, respiratory, ear, throat, uti...  I use vitamin D3 and raw garlic.  I smash the garlic and put it on top of any food and eat enough each day to make me stink. For uti, I also drink a tbsp of Bragg apple cider vinegar in hot water several times a day and make the Traditional Medicinals Cran Aid tea.  I also have a concentrated supplement called Clear Tract, and Schiff probiotics.  White vinegar and water 50-50 in a peri bottle also helps. 

11 hours ago, laundrycrisis said:

White vinegar and water 50-50 in a peri bottle also helps.

Interesting! Outer ear infections are sometimes treated by straight white vinegar (it's even Rx'd and dispensed at pharmacies). I am prone to them due to problems making ear wax. I tried vinegar when I felt one coming on--it worked very well as long as I used it several times per day. I filled up the ear canal, pushed on the tragus to make sure the vinegar went all the way down my ear canal, and then tipped my head into a washcloth. You need to wash your skin around your ear afterwards--the vinegar will make sores on your facial skin when you're using it that much.