Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW50: Bookish Birthdays and News

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week Fifty in our reading quest. Greetings to all our readers and everyone following our progress. Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as the central spot to share links to your book reviews.  

It's time for another round of author birthdays and bookish news. We're approaching the end of the year and best of lists are in the news.

Bill Gates narrows it down to the 5 books I loved in 2018

New York Times Critics' Top Books of 2018 

New Yorker's Best Books of 2018

Mental Floss's 56 Best Books of 2018

New York Public Library's 2018 Best Books for Adults 

School Library Journal's The Best of 2018 

Five Books best of for SciencePhilosophy, Politics, and Nature.

Smithsonian.com’s Chief Digital Officer Shares His Favorite Books of the Year.

Indigo's Best Books of 2018.

Literary birthdays this week include

12/09: Poet John Milton and Samuel Washington Allen

12/10: Poet Emily Dickinson, Nobel prize poet Nelly Sachs, and Scottish Fantasy Author George Macdonald 

12/11: Egyptian author Naguib Mahfouz and Russian author Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

12/12: French novelist Gustave Flaubert and English playwright John Osborne

12/13: German poet Heinrich Heine and American Poet Kenneth Patchen

12/14: Short story writer Shirley Jackson and American essayist Stanley Crouch 

12/15: Irish Author Edna O'Brien

Have fun following rabbit trails

Brit Trip

We're traveling on Watling Way to Lancashire.  Lancashire was not recorded in the Domesday Book which makes it one of the younger counties in England. 

Rabbit trails: Birds Whooper Swans Lancaster Castle

The 2019 Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks has been posted which includes a new 52 Books Bingo and Whodunit Bookology.  Brit Trip is turning into a perpetual challenge and the other mini challenges have been updated.   

What are you reading?

Link to Week 49  

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Currently reading Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie - Quite gutwrenching.   Nora Robert's Of Blood and Bone is waiting in the wings.  Also reading Magrey deVegas's Awaiting the Already for Advent which is quite good. 

• Like 7

I finished Murakami’s latest, Killing Commendatore, yesterday.  I didn’t post because I wanted to think about it.  Overall I really liked it but it wasn’t as .......I guess, odd.....as many of his other books have been for me.  I am left wondering if I just have read so many of his books that I am no longer overly puzzled.   It had lots of magical realism,  little people, and wells. 😂 So lots of odd,  but it also had an ending that made sense and was good.  I read several reviews and one said it needed a hundred pages edited out at the end,  I agree but would have taken them out of the middle!

I am getting close to done with my latest Shardlake mystery, Lamentations, on audio.  It is fascinating just because it is set in an unusual period of Tudor history.  Very near Henry’s death when the entire country was waiting to see what happens next.  I have a growing affection for Catherine Parr.  I plan to start listing to The Benedict Option which Texas  recommended last week when I finish.

Currently reading Treacherous is the Night by Anna Lee Huber which is the latest in the Verity Kent series.

Off to make my hubby happy and get the Christmas cards done that need to cross the pond.  Yes, we still do snail mail cards!

• Like 10

Last week I finished Harrison Ainsworth's justly neglected Victorian sensational novel The Lancashire Witches, which has the look of one of those two-volume novels that a procrustean publisher forced into three.

This week I'm reading Mrs. Humphry Ward's Robert Elsmere, also a three-volumer, but vastly better in writing and topic. It's in the tradition of the Victorian "crisis of faith" novel, one of the most famous of which, Cardinal Newman's Loss and Gain, I re-read earlier this year. (In fact Ward's last section is provocatively titled "Gain and Loss," obviously referring to Newman's novel.) Excellent so far. And set substantially in Westmorland, which with the old county of Cumberland was combined into the modern Cumbria, next week's BritTrip county.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah last night. Oh. my. word. Talk about edge of your seat reading. It was incredible. But now I feel like I have a book hangover. Just wow. The tension throughout that novel was amazing. I truly could not put it down. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want another intense Kindle read on the heels of that or not. I'd like to read The Nightingale but I may need to switch to something lighter in between! 

I'm halfway done with The Other Woman by Daniel Silva. It definitely took a backseat to The Great Alone, so trying to catch up today! 

The Nightingale is so good and I remember it left me drained and misty eyed by the end. You may want to read something fluffy between it and Great Alone. Haven't read Great Alone yet. Will add it to my wishlist.  

4 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I finished Murakami’s latest, Killing Commendatore, yesterday.  I didn’t post because I wanted to think about it.  Overall I really liked it but it wasn’t as .......I guess, odd.....as many of his other books have been for me.  I am left wondering if I just have read so many of his books that I am no longer overly puzzled.   It had lots of magical realism,  little people, and wells. 😂 So lots of odd,  but it also had an ending that made sense and was good.  I read several reviews and one said it needed a hundred pages edited out at the end,  I agree but would have taken them out of the middle!

I am getting close to done with my latest Shardlake mystery, Lamentations, on audio.  It is fascinating just because it is set in an unusual period of Tudor history.  Very near Henry’s death when the entire country was waiting to see what happens next.  I have a growing affection for Catherine Parr.  I plan to start listing to The Benedict Option which Texas  recommended last week when I finish.

Currently reading Treacherous is the Night by Anna Lee Huber which is the latest in the Verity Kent series.

Off to make my hubby happy and get the Christmas cards done that need to cross the pond.  Yes, we still do snail mail cards!

I still have Murakami's Kafka on the Shore in my stacks to read.  Don't know when I'll get to it.  Added the first book in the Verity Kent series to my Kindle stacks.  I need to christmas cards as well. Thanks for the reminder.   Are you guys still on your side of the pond?

• Like 6

@loesje22000  " Irvin Yalom is an author I like to read: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/909675.Irvin_D_Yalom   And in Dutch quite some books are called 'Yemma', as that seems to be the word Maroccan authors use for their (older) mother. How that has been translated, and if Maroccan authors in other countries do the same I don't know."

@Violet Crown  "You can't go wrong with W. B. Yeats. He was recently the cause of a spirited discussion at our dinner table regarding the number of syllables in "Byzantium." If you don't care for his poetry 😧 he also wrote plays and (with Lady Augusta Gregory) wrote/anthologized Irish folklore.    Also French writer Marguerite Yourcenar is worth attention.   How pleasant that Xenophon wrote so many things, and that such good translations are now available.  And now I'm reminded that I have Arthur Quiller-Couch's Cambridge Lectures buried in my tbr shelf"

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions!

• Like 7

Finished two books this week:

125. The Book of Chameleons by José Eduardo Agualusa - loved this book, loved the characters, loved the gecko (even if he was Borges' reincarnation).  But how could he be if his dreams made more sense than Borges' actual writing?  Being a gecko vastly improved him.  lol.  5 stars.

126. The Crab-Flower Club by Cao Xueqin - I read this in bits, about 100 pp  a week, but those pages were mostly all at a go, and I looked forward all week to visiting these characters.  I had been planning originally on only reading one volume of this a year (there are five total, each 500+ pp), but I've already read two this year, and I just went and ordered the next two.  I had no idea I would enjoy this so much.  I do not remember the abridged version I read in college being this good - I'm so happy I decided to revisit it.  5 stars.

Currently reading: 

- Twain's Feast: Searching for America's Lost Foods in the Footsteps of Samuel Clemens by Andrew Beahrs - Reading this for the Foodie square, and enjoying it quite a bit.  

- El diario de Frida Kahlo - Got through the two introductions and am now reading the diary itself with commentaries.  This is for the Art square.

- La fiesta del chivo / The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa (ebook) - I think I may have been nuts to pick a 600 page book just when I'm trying to finish up my reading for the year.  But I'm liking it quite a bit.  

- Dark Matter by Blake Crouch (audiobook) - I keep feeling like this is a very 'guy' book.  Don't know exactly why.  I also feel like it must have been written for people who don't read or watch and SciFi.  Dude, of course that's your double from another reality in the multiverse!  That's been the plot in like every single SciFi series written ever, often multiple times!  Don't know why this got so much attention - seems quite derivative, if you ask me...  good thing I'm listening to it.

• Like 9

Hello Book-a-weekers! Just popping in to check on everyone. I've been busy, busy this year so we won't discuss my book numbers but I did finish two this month: Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty and The Reckoning by John Grisham. I don't know if these are on anyone's radar but I enjoyed them. It's been soooo looong since I last read any of your posts...it would take me a month to catch up. Maybe I'll be up for some serious reading time again in 2019. Til then...happy reading.

Edited by Shawneinfl
  • Like 8

I have done my bi-annual shop for Audible audiobooks (mostly via Amazon, discussed here) so nicely topped up.  (I’ve squirrelled away quite a few titles mentioned on this thread.  My thanks )

Completed:

• 149:  Artists in Crime: Roderick Alleyn Bk6 ~ Ngaio Marsh  Buckinghamshire / London    Repeat listen.  4.5* audiobook, read by Philip Franks.   Adding this review, belatedly.   Though I’ve rated this as a 4.5, it’s not a book that I would actually recommend to many of my IRL reading associates. There is quite a lot of bohemian artist /free love/ lifestyle talk in this book, no salacious details though.... and of course there is the 'standard' nude artist’s model.    The young woman murdered was pregnant  😞    Marsh refers to one of her characters as “unmoral” – he is!  Adult themes.     Despite those issues, I think this showcases the best of Marsh’s writing acumen: a well told murder mystery, the right amount of tension and suspense (for me); and,  the attraction Roderick feels for one of the artists weaves its way through the whole story.
  • 208:  Why Shoot The Butler?  ~ Georgette Heyer, narrated by Ullie Birve  (3.5)  (Repeat listen)  Faux Places = Upper Nettlefold / Pittingly Rd / Carchester / Hillingdeen   (Real  = Little Haven, Pembrokeshire)          Goodreads review          Extra for others that like to know: some cursing, alcoholism, drownings.
  • 209:   L =  The Mission Walker ~ Edie Littlefield Sundby,  narrated by Jaimee Paul  (3.5) N/F   blog review      My rating is for the audiobook, not Edie.

Still reading (including sip reads, and books for ‘Holly’):

• The Courts of the Morning ~ John Buchan  (chipping away at this)
  • The Illustrated Guide to Cows ~ Celia Lewis  N/F (sipping this one slowly – beautiful!)
  • Y =  Year at Thrush Green: Thrush Green Bk12 ~ Miss Read  (my kind of book!!)
  • O=   The Invisible Child: On Reading and Writing Books for Children ~ Katherine Paterson  (this book is gaining underlings by the score.  Good reading!)
  • How the Heather Looks ~ Joan Bodger   memoir   (lovely, gentle read!)          These Brit Trip locations were kindly posted by another BaW poster  (21 counties)   Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Cumbria, Devon, Durham, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Kent, Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Scotland (Dunbar, Edinburgh), Shropshire, Somerset, Surrey, Sussex, Wales (Monmouthshire), Yorkshire (N), Yorkshire (W)
Edited by tuesdayschild
include link
  • Like 8

Hey Robin, I have a question about the 10-challenges!  

If I tried to do some kind of 10x10 challenge, is overlap allowed?  Like if I had the following categories: 

1.        10 or more books over 500 pages
2.        10 books in Spanish
3.        10 books in German
4.        10 science fiction
5.        10 fantasy
6.        10 translated
7.        10 non-fiction (not biography or memoir)
8.        10 Biography-or-memoir
9.        10 books from Read-the-World Challenge

What if I read a 500+ page book in Spanish, or in non-fiction, could it count for both categories? Or if it was translated from Icelandic into German, could I count it for translated and German?  I did make the non-fiction and biography ones exclusive just because I think I can do that with no overlap (but I might do a non-fiction or biography that was translated, or in German or Spanish, or over 500pp, then it would overlap with that).  

And I have no 10th category yet... Maaaybe mysteries - I know many of you read tons, but 10 is actually a lot for me.  Maybe if I made it mystery or thriller type?  That may also be a stretch... especially since as I look at my TR list, most of the things in that category of my TR list are translated or in German or both (translated into German from another language), so that might be a bit much... or if I could figure out that linked title thing Robin suggested, could that be a 10th category?  Or anyone have any other good suggestions?

This sounds fun, but I don't think I could manage with zero overlap (at least and still keep it fun :wink:) - but I'd try to minimize it.  

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I finished The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah last night. Oh. my. word. Talk about edge of your seat reading. It was incredible. But now I feel like I have a book hangover. Just wow. The tension throughout that novel was amazing. I truly could not put it down. Now I'm trying to figure out if I want another intense Kindle read on the heels of that or not. I'd like to read The Nightingale but I may need to switch to something lighter in between! 

I read The Great Alone earlier this year and liked it very much. I think I read somewhere that the author grew up in Alaska? The Nightingale is a great read, too!

2 hours ago, Shawneinfl said:

Hello Book-a-weekers! Just popping in to check on everyone. I've been busy, busy this year so we won't discuss my book numbers but I did finish two this month: Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty and The Reckoning by John Grisham. I don't know if these are on anyone's radar but I enjoyed them. It's been soooo looong since I last read any of your posts...it would take me a month to catch up. Maybe I'll be up for some serious reading time again in 2019. Til then...happy reading.

I have Nine Perfect Strangers on hold at my library - I think I'm number 35 out of 120 - and have been waiting for over a month now. I like Moriarty's writing and am really looking forward to this one!

• Like 6

This past week I finished The Diary of Anne Frank. Very glad to have finally read it, it's heartbreaking to know that Holland was liberated only a week or two after they were discovered and sent to their deaths. 😞

I've also been re-reading a Regency -Indiscretion by Jude Morgan. Well-written with interesting characters - no one is ALL good or ALL bad - and an enjoyable storyline. It's been a while since I first read this and I find that I don't remember much of the plot - yay!

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

If I tried to do some kind of 10x10 challenge, is overlap allowed?  Like if I had the following categories: 

5.        10 fantasy
6.        10 translated

What if I read a 500+ page book in Spanish, or in non-fiction, could it count for both categories? Or if it was translated from Icelandic into German, could I count it for translated and German?  I did make the non-fiction and biography ones exclusive just because I think I can do that with no overlap (but I might do a non-fiction or biography that was translated, or in German or Spanish, or over 500pp, then it would overlap with that).  

And I have no 10th category yet... Maaaybe mysteries - I know many of you read tons, but 10 is actually a lot for me.  Maybe if I made it mystery or thriller type?  That may also be a stretch... especially since as I look at my TR list, most of the things in that category of my TR list are translated or in German or both (translated into German from another language), so that might be a bit much... or if I could figure out that linked title thing Robin suggested, could that be a 10th category?  Or anyone have any other good suggestions?

This sounds fun, but I don't think I could manage with zero overlap (at least and still keep it fun :wink:) - but I'd try to minimize it.  

If you read a 500+ page non-fiction book translated from Icelandic to Spanish, I would count that as 4 and wear a crown inscribed with "Queen of Reading".

Just thinking about your 10 X 10 blows my mind.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

If you read a 500+ page non-fiction book translated from Icelandic to Spanish, I would count that as 4 and wear a crown inscribed with "Queen of Reading".

Just thinking about your 10 X 10 blows my mind.

LOL, last year I read a 500+ page book translated from Icelandic to German, but it was fiction... and I did read a non-fiction book translated from Norwegian to German, but it was only 350 pages.  I like to read in German but have trouble finding actual German authors I like (they're mostly pompous, depressing, or both...), so I figure things in other Germanic languages I'd have to read in translation anyway are good enough.  Many of the mysteries I read are Icelandic to German, as I'm working my way through the Erlendur series...

Fortunately in Spanish there's lots to choose from. :smile:

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Shawneinfl said:

Waving....glad you popped in.  Both of those books are on my want to read lists, just waiting for the holds line to go down a bit!

8 hours ago, Robin M said:

I still have Murakami's Kafka on the Shore in my stacks to read.  Don't know when I'll get to it.  Added the first book in the Verity Kent series to my Kindle stacks.  

Kafka on the Shore was definitely one of Murakami’s best books.  I like 1Q84 the best, but it was my first one so......

I hope you enjoy Verity Kent!  🙂

5 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

I have done my bi-annual shop for Audible audiobooks (mostly via Amazon, discussed here) so nicely topped up.  (I’ve squirrelled away quite a few titles mentioned on this thread.  My thanks )

Completed:

• 149:  Artists in Crime: Roderick Alleyn Bk6 ~ Ngaio Marsh  Buckinghamshire / London    Repeat listen.  4.5* audiobook, read by Philip Franks.   Adding this review, belatedly.   Though I’ve rated this as a 4.5, it’s not a book that I would actually recommend to many of my IRL reading associates. There is quite a lot of bohemian artist /free love/ lifestyle talk in this book, no salacious details though.... and of course there is the 'standard' nude artist’s model.    The young woman murdered was pregnant  😞    Marsh refers to one of her characters as “unmoral” – he is!  Adult themes.     Despite those issues, I think this showcases the best of Marsh’s writing acumen: a well told murder mystery, the right amount of tension and suspense (for me); and,  the attraction Roderick feels for one of the artists weaves its way through the whole story.
  • 208:  Why Shoot The Butler?  ~ Georgette Heyer, narrated by Ullie Birve  (3.5)  (Repeat listen)  Faux Places = Upper Nettlefold / Pittingly Rd / Carchester / Hillingdeen   (Real  = Little Haven, Pembrokeshire)          Goodreads review          Extra for others that like to know: some cursing, alcoholism, drownings.
  • 209:   L =  The Mission Walker ~ Edie Littlefield Sundby,  narrated by Jaimee Paul  (3.5) N/F   blog review      My rating is for the audiobook, not Edie.

Still reading (including sip reads, and books for ‘Holly’):

• The Courts of the Morning ~ John Buchan  (chipping away at this)
  • The Illustrated Guide to Cows ~ Celia Lewis  N/F (sipping this one slowly – beautiful!)
  • Y =  Year at Thrush Green: Thrush Green Bk12 ~ Miss Read  (my kind of book!!)
  • O=   The Invisible Child: On Reading and Writing Books for Children ~ Katherine Paterson  (this book is gaining underlings by the score.  Good reading!)
  • How the Heather Looks ~ Joan Bodger   memoir   (lovely, gentle read!)          These Brit Trip locations were kindly posted by another BaW poster  (21 counties)   Bedfordshire, Berkshire, Buckinghamshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Cumbria, Devon, Durham, Gloucestershire, Hampshire, Kent, Northamptonshire, Northumberland, Nottinghamshire, Oxfordshire, Scotland (Dunbar, Edinburgh), Shropshire, Somerset, Surrey, Sussex, Wales (Monmouthshire), Yorkshire (N), Yorkshire (W)

Ngaio Marsh is one of the greats that I don’t seem to enjoy.  I will mark Artists in Crime and try and read it soon......probably when I need an A.  😂. I have only read the first couple......

5 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

5.        10 fantasy
6.        10 translated

I have been planning for those challenges too.  I love your categories.....mine are a bit more mystery oriented, ummm, really mystery oriented😉  This is what I have been playing with......

1. Agatha Christie

2.  Scandinavian Detectives

3.  Science Fiction

4.  Alternate Worlds....Fantasy including time travel

5.  Steampunk

6.  Asian Detectives

7.  New to me Cozy mystery series

8. Books set in Scotland

9.  Alfred Hitchcock ...... the books that the movies are based upon

10.  Either a category for rereads (several planned) or the detectives from Robin’s challenge or paranormal romances

26 minutes ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I finished Animal Farm by George Orwell today. Yes, it's short but it counts as a book. I selected it because it was short. 

I have been thinking about my reading for the new year and what my reading challenges should be. I know what my dusty and chunky book will be.

My first book for 2018 was Animal Farm on Audio, it counts!

• Like 9

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I have been planning for those challenges too.  I love your categories.....mine are a bit more mystery oriented, ummm, really mystery oriented😉  This is what I have been playing with......

1. Agatha Christie
3.  Science Fiction
5.  Steampunk
6.  Asian Detectives
8. Books set in Scotland
10.  Either a category for rereads (several planned) or the detectives from Robin’s challenge or paranormal romances

LOL, I love your categories too!  I like all those myself, except most I wouldn't want to have to commit to reading more than a couple of titles in a year - 10's too many!  I'd like to read two more Erlendurs next year and I think another Inspector Chen Cao or maybe two, but then I'm done. :tongue:  Whereas the categories I picked for myself, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem reaching them, even if they seem odd to others. :wink:  Especially with a bit of double-dipping. (Thanks, Robin!)

You've given me a bit of an idea with your #4, though - I'm wondering if I could split my SciFi category in two, and do Science Fiction in Outer Space and Science Fiction... other?  Meaning on Earth or an Alternate World or with Time Travel, but no space ships or planets.  Like with biographies and non-fiction, I'd try for little to no overlap - otherwise no point in splitting them.  My SciFi book club usually reads two books a month, plus I have some sequels in series I read last year I want to get to, so with some planning I think I could manage that...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

LOL, I love your categories too!  I like all those myself, except most I wouldn't want to have to commit to reading more than a couple of titles in a year - 10's too many!  I'd like to read two more Erlendurs next year and I think another Inspector Chen Cao or maybe two, but then I'm done. :tongue:  Whereas the categories I picked for myself, I don't think I'll have too much of a problem reaching them, even if they seem odd to others. :wink:  Especially with a bit of double-dipping. (Thanks, Robin!)

You've given me a bit of an idea with your #4, though - I'm wondering if I could split my SciFi category in two, and do Science Fiction in Outer Space and Science Fiction... other?  Meaning on Earth or an Alternate World or with Time Travel, but no space ships or planets.  Like with biographies and non-fiction, I'd try for little to no overlap - otherwise no point in splitting them.  My SciFi book club usually reads two books a month, plus I have some sequels in series I read last year I want to get to, so with some planning I think I could manage that...

First confession time..... I went through my wish lists and actually have lists with close to ten books for each category just to make sure they can be done!  Also I have checked on Ten Chain potential and actually created a couple!  🤣 Overplanning!  

Sci Fi is the reading area I want to grow in next year.  I really like the James Corey series I have been reading https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8855321-leviathan-wakes and expect to finish it.  I will probably have 6 left for 2019 by the time I wade through the hold’s lists.......  I have several other series marked that all seem to involve space travel so this category is achievable.  So my thought is this category will be defined as people originally from Earth exploring outer space, spaceship or living on planets.

Other Worlds......My track record with Fantasy Worlds is not great unless they are populated with paranormal creatures. I decided to add time travel to my definition just in case I get stuck, plus my wish lists had some intriguing ones.  My intention is LotR and Narnia could exist in this category......no rereads planned but those are books I love, as I said I don’t seem to stick to books in this area.  I really want to.......

Because of Brit Tripping I have been setting aside books set in Scotland all year.  This is going to be a real mismatch of genres but will allow me to go back to several series that I enjoyed.  Honestly that is pretty much what all my categories are about, series I have started and liked.  Cozies I just want to give some of the huge variety a try and see if any stick.

The Alfred Hitchcock category has me a bit worried because I would prefer not to have to do rereads.  It might get a new name like rereads if I abandon the first couple I try.  

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Shawneinfl said:

Glad to see you! One of the things I love about the BaW threads is you can come and go as often as you like. Stay and chat every day, every week, or just pop in now and then. It's all good. 

I tend to avoid authors who get a lot of hype because it's often overblown and unwarranted. A few years ago I finally broke down and read Big Little Lies (I've never seen the show) and was pleasantly surprised. Ever since I've been trying to decide if I want to read more of Liane Moriarty, and if so which novel to read. 

14 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I have been thinking about my reading for the new year and what my reading challenges should be. I know what my dusty and chunky book will be.

I've been thinking about mine too and it's still in the very early stages. I didn't have much of a plan this year, and while I read a lot of enjoyable books there are some I wanted to read and either forgot about them or didn't get to them. I do better with at least a general outline. I always make it flexible and leave room for rabbit trails or new suggestions, but when I don't know what to read next I can always look to my plan. Although I'm thinking about books and challenges now I'll probably wait until the week between Christmas and New Year's Day to solidify it.

• Like 11

I took a break from the Mahabharata to read a couple of my kid's books set during World War II.

• Thanks to My Mother, about a girl who survived concentration camps etc.  It is a sad book but well written (true story).  I'm not really sure why it's a kid's book though.  I mean it is easy to read and it's about a kid, but it's so sad and there is no overarching moral or happy ending.
  • The War I Finally Won - this is a sequel to The War that Saved My Life which I enjoyed with my kids a couple years ago.  I'm about halfway through.  It's not the best book, but I am curious enough to keep reading.

We are still listening to Pride and Prejudice in the car - we're up to the part where Elizabeth unexpectedly meets Darcy at Pemberly.

Haven't done much on the read-aloud lately.  I think it's been at least 2 weeks since I read a chapter.  Hopefully we'll finish it this month.

• Like 9

19 hours ago, The Accidental Coach said:

I know what my dusty and chunky book will be.

Flicking through following posts for the title reveal 😉

19 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Ngaio Marsh is one of the greats that I don’t seem to enjoy.  I will mark Artists in Crime and try and read it soon......probably when I need an A.  😂.

Read Ngaio Marsh? (faints!)  I've only ever 'read' one, audiobooks are a must, for me.  Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton (ETA) Lesser (for abridged versions) and Philip Franks (unabridged) are a much more palatable way to read Marsh; and some titles should just be skipped altogether.   (Marsh was ex.pat NZer and one author my younger/mid years' highschoolers were to read - trying to find a title that would engage their interest and didn't have too much adult content meant I ended up listening to a lot of Ngaio Marsh.)

19 hours ago, mumto2 said:

1. Agatha Christie

3.  Science Fiction

5.  Steampunk

6.  Asian Detectives

8. Books set in Scotland

So.... would you read 10 books in each category like Matryoshka?  

On 12/10/2018 at 11:47 AM, Matryoshka said:

5.        10 fantasy
6.        10 translated

(NICE!  Line up.....     The first three.   Wow! Amazing challenge.   Wonder if, really simple,  picture books in French and Maori could count for me 😅 )

9 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

I finished The Other Woman by Daniel Silva last night. I wish Goodreads let you give half stars. I gave it four there, but honestly it’s more a 3.5. Not one of his greater books- just sort of eh. Maybe the book hangover dampened it for me.

Taking that on board.  I'm currently on the long wait list ... perhaps it might improve by the time it reaches me.  😋 

@Lady Florida.   LOVE!!!!!  Your new avatar.

4 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Likewise. Want to share a Scottish challenge? 10 books set in Scotland, and/or by a Scottish writer?

Sneaks in with.... Yes mumto2 .  Say yes! 

4 hours ago, SKL said:

Thanks to My Mother, about a girl who survived concentration camps etc.  It is a sad book but well written (true story).  I'm not really sure why it's a kid's book though.  I mean it is easy to read and it's about a kid, but it's so sad and there is no overarching moral or happy ending.

Hoping you get to pop in more often!!  Is this by Schoschana Rabinovici?    (Sounds like one I'd appreciate.)

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 8

45 minutes ago, Shawneinfl said:

I keep seeing posts about "10 book Challenges". When did that begin??? Are there any normal challenges for less prolific readers? Y'all are leaving me in the dust.

It's a 2019's reading challenge being discussed.    Here might help to find easier challenges, or just make up your own and share as you go along.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Shawneinfl said:

I keep seeing posts about "10 book Challenges". When did that begin??? Are there any normal challenges for less prolific readers? Y'all are leaving me in the dust.

Robin put up this year's challenges a couple of weeks ago.  I went and hunted down the post  with the 10's for you.  The 10x10 is the biggest of those; you could just do one 10-challenge. She also had another post with spelling challenges if you're into those.  And there are lots of other less-daunting challenges on the 52 Books website Tuesday's Child linked in the PP.

On 11/29/2018 at 3:06 PM, Robin M said:

More ideas for the new year which leans towards reading through our already teetering tbr piles.  Since celebrating 10th anniversary, lots of 10 themes.

Ten Chain Book Train - Each book must connect to the other either by a word in the title or author name.  For example An Artificial Night by Seanan McGuire leads to The Night Train to Lisbon by Pascal Mercier which leads to The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins and so on.  Have to be read chronologically, no skipping around and linking them up later and can only read the same author in succession twice.

Scavenger Hunt - Take the last book you read and go to page ten. Highlight every tenth word for a total of ten words.  Then find 10 books of which each has one of those words in the title. 

And of course, 10 x 10 which could be 10 books in 10 different genre or subgenres; 10 books from 10 countries, cities, states, provinces; 10 new authors, etc, etc, etc. 

2019 52 Books Bingo.pdf

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 9

57 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Robin put up this year's challenges a couple of weeks ago.  I went and hunted down the post  with the 10's for you.  The 10x10 is the biggest of those; you could just do one 10-challenge. She also had another post with spelling challenges if you're into those.  And there are lots of other less-daunting challenges on the 52 Books website Tuesday's Child linked in the PP.

Thank you! These sound great! It's always fun to start the year with a new challenge!

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Likewise. Want to share a Scottish challenge? 10 books set in Scotland, and/or by a Scottish writer?

Yes,. I would love to!  Tuesday, I hope your comment means you plan to join us!  😋

2 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Read Ngaio Marsh? (faints!)  I've only ever 'read' one, audiobooks are a must, for me.  Benedict Cumberbatch, Anton (ETA) Lesser (for abridged versions) and Philip Franks (unabridged) are a much more palatable way to read Marsh; and some titles should just be skipped altogether.   (Marsh was ex.pat NZer and one author my younger/mid years' highschoolers were to read - trying to find a title that would engage their interest and didn't have too much adult content meant I ended up listening to a lot of Ngaio Marsh.)

So.... would you read 10 books in each category like Matryoshka?  

Ngaio Marsh.....really happy you don’t love those.......I made it through the first two, I believe, when Dd was maybe 12.  This was the height of her passion for AC and the girl can read read really fast.   I was miserable and trying to preread before her.  She was allowed to read them but partly because it was Christmas and our library closed for two weeks so nothing new available through the library.  She was also determined and I had read them.......fortunately she never asked for more!

My current intention is 10 of each category.  I am reserving the right to switch some categories out if I need to. 😉 I have no intention of suffering through several books that I hate or ignoring a new reading passion in the coming year!  That being said I do want to give it a go and think those categories have the most potential.  

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Shawneinfl said:

Thank you! These sound great! It's always fun to start the year with a new challenge!

Hi Shawn, great to see you.  There are any number of ways to play with the ten theme.   1 X 10 = 1 book  in 10 different categories.  2 x 5 = two books in five different categories or 5 books in two categories.  Find the word in the title of a book. Words that contain ten -- Kitten, tent, tension, intense, etc,   Something to play with. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

On 12/9/2018 at 4:17 PM, Shawneinfl said:

Very good to see you popping in!

Looking through my endless tbr shelf, some thoughts on categories I might/could/should read 10 of in a year:
- Scottish
- nonfiction (travel, biography, history)
- old Penguins
- Gorey-illustrated covers
- Bad Catholic
- drama
- Truly Random
- poetry
- translated from French
- Texas/cowboys
- noir
- NYRB
- Henry James
- nautical

"Scottish" definitely makes the cut.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Yes,. I would love to!  Tuesday, I hope your comment means you plan to join us!  😋

ooo,  yes, please, count me in!

2 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

Looking through my endless tbr shelf, some thoughts on categories I might/could/should read 10 of in a year:
- Scottish
- nonfiction (travel, biography, history)
- old Penguins
- Gorey-illustrated covers
- Bad Catholic
- drama
- Truly Random
- poetry
- translated from French
- Texas/cowboys
- noir
- NYRB
- Henry James
- nautical

"Scottish" definitely makes the cut.

Nice categories.  Especially like the "truly random".   😋    Is NYRB the classics publisher?

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Ngaio Marsh.....really happy you don’t love those.......I made it through the first two, I believe, when Dd was maybe 12.  This was the height of her passion for AC and the girl can read read really fast.   I was miserable and trying to preread before her.  She was allowed to read them but partly because it was Christmas and our library closed for two weeks so nothing new available through the library.  She was also determined and I had read them.......fortunately she never asked for more!

My current intention is 10 of each category.  I am reserving the right to switch some categories out if I need to. 😉 I have no intention of suffering through several books that I hate or ignoring a new reading passion in the coming year!  That being said I do want to give it a go and think those categories have the most potential.

Love? No, however, I do like a few of the audiobooks.  Needs must for your DD, especially when the library is shut  - you poor thing😉 - we've had similar torture with other authors.  My 2 dc thought Surfeit of Lamprey's was wonderful  - complete with the murder involving a skewer through the eye 🤔

53 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

Aw, thanks. That was from Thanksgiving so it's one of the more recent photos of Emma. 

It's lovely!  (The picture you shared of Emma a while back is adorable.)  Good news that her pre-appoint went well.  We'll be thinking of you all on Thursday!

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

Especially like the "truly random".   😋    Is NYRB the classics publisher?

True Randomness, courtesy of random.org, uses atmospheric noise to generate an integer for you. If you happen to have all your books numbered on a spreadsheet (ahem), you can use it to pick your reading. If you have a teenager given to random mood swings click on "generate" for you, all the better.

NYRB is indeed New York Review of Books. Which information a hypothetical master book index might include.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tuesdayschild said:

Love? No, however, I do like a few of the audiobooks.  Needs must for your DD, especially when the library is shut  - you poor thing😉 - we've had similar torture with other authors.  My 2 dc thought Surfeit of Lamprey's was wonderful  - complete with the murder involving a skewer through the eye 🤔

Oh my, she would have loved that death!  I just took a look and there are a few Ngiao Marsh's available on my Overdrive in audio so will give one a try......

@Lady Florida.  Beautiful picture!

• Like 4

I'm really liking the idea of a 10 X 10 challenge, but mine will overlap for sure. I don't read 100 books per year. I guess that means I am making up my own variant of the challenge.(?) Bingo for the last two years has been great for getting me to read broadly, but this year I yearn to go deep rather than wide. But if I can do it within a framework that is somewhat common with my fellow readers, than that sounds like fun 🙂

I will wait to see what categories y'all come up with before making my final 10, but I am currently considering these:

(1) the 1960s (2) fantasy (3) in Danish (4) my ongoing 50 states challenge (5) my ongoing round-the-word challenge (6) political theory (7) Scotland (!)

--

I finished two books this week, and I recommend both of them.

Doghead by Morten Ramsland is translated from Danish by Tiina Nunnally (K. Lavransdatter translator). I read this as a parallel text - no qualms about the translation. It is a family novel that spans multiple generations. The first half takes place in Norway, and the second half takes place in Denmark. I gave it four stars on Goodreads, but I thought about going with five. I'd call it a tragicomic story. Very character driven, and while the plot is subtle important parts are slowly revealed, which gives it a  wee bit of suspense. 

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot had been on my TBR list for a very long time. I'm so glad that I finally made time for this book. It really gave me plenty to think about with respect to medical ethics and medical research. Much of the book takes place in my hometown of Baltimore, which gave it a boost for me. 4 stars.

I just started my 25th Bingo book (18th c. square) this morning: Letters Written in Sweden, Norway, and Denmark by Mary Wollstonecraft. This will be my first reading of her work, and I hope it will give me a good intro into her mind before I read her  nonfiction.

ETA the crucial adjective political to nonfiction!

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 7

Since there's interest in Scottish books, I'm going to put in a plug for Canongate Books, an Edinburgh publishing house specializing in Scottish writers. Lately they've branched out into books by other writers, so you have to look carefully at their catalog, but it's  great guide to what's old and what's recent in Scottish literature. A search for "Canongate classics" retrieves lots of classic titles.

Now their shipping is from the UK and so expensive; but I find a search for a title on Amazon or bookfinder.com generally gets good results.

Hm ... maybe we should throw together a list of Scottish writers/titles.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Penguin said:

I

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot had been on my TBR list for a very long time. I'm so glad that I finally made time for this book. It really gave me plenty to think about with respect to medical ethics and medical research. Much of the book takes place in my hometown of Baltimore, which gave it a boost for me. 4 stars.

I read that one about six months before the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that genes can't be patented, so it was really timely for me. It's fascinating and horrifying at the same time. It's amazing when you think of all of the medical advances that came from her but I was so outraged for both her and her family. I always recommend that book when anyone asks about it or asks about "must read" non-fiction. 

I finished another non-fiction that brings up the same kind of feelings in me -

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI - The author did a decent job of balancing both of the title topics, the murders and the early days of Hoover and the FBI. This is a part of U.S. history that isn't taught but that everyone should know about imo. It's not for lack of trying. The author isn't the first one to write about these killings - even some of the original people involved tried as have others have over the years - but his seems to be the first book getting attention. I gave the book 5 stars more for the subject matter than for the writing, though the writing was well done.

Also finished -

All's Well That Ends Well - My plan for Shakespeare in a Year fell apart early in the year but I kept going back to it. Though I didn't succeed I read more of his work than I would have if I wasn't trying this. I'm hoping the guy who does this schedule will update for 2019 soon because I plan to continue next year and fill in what I didn't get to this year.

Florida - a short story collection. For those who don't feel like clicking through to Goodreads, here's my very short review. 

"Not a bad collection of stories. It gets three stars from me because I'm just not a big fan of short stories. This was better than many I've read but they're still not my style.
I also think the author, a transplanted northerner like many of her characters, hasn't fully embraced Florida. She seems to have tried or is trying but it still seems foreign to her. To love Florida you have to let it love you. She doesn't. She seems aware however, that her children are true Floridians."

The rest of my currently reading list hasn't changed except for the addition of one new audio book - The House of Mirth. 

• Like 8

I spoke too soon about Emma yesterday. Last I talked to ddil she was taking Emma to her pre-op appointment and expected her to pass, so that's what I told you all. 

She's showing cold symptoms and the doctors don't want to risk any complications, so her surgery has been rescheduled for Jan. 17th. While we want her in tip-top shape it's still a blow for everyone since we were all expecting it to happen this week. Now she has another month of the feeding tube, meds, and carefully supervising her contact (which obviously didn't help and anyway she has a brother in school and one in preschool). 

The one positive is that we won't have to balance a baby either in the hospital or recovering at home with the Christmas excitement of 6 and 4 yo boys. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Some bookish posts ~

Herman Melville Novella 'Benito Cereno' Being Adapted as Sci-Fi Series

Take a look at what was big the year you were born and when your child/ren were born ~  Here are the Biggest Nonfiction Bestsellers of the Last 100 Years (And the Books We Remember Instead) by Emily Temple

15 Of The Best Dragon Book Series  by Silvana Reyes Lopez

Fresh Nativity Story Picture Books  by Katherine Willoughby

The Best Queer Books of 2018 by Casey Stepaniuk

In Defense of Ugly Bullet Journaling  by Rebecca Renner

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1