Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW47: 52 Books Bingo - Philosophical and Self Help

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week forty-seven in our Open Roads Reading Adventure. Greetings to all our readers and everyone following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

Philosophy begins in wonder.  And, at the end, when philosophic thought
has done its best, the wonder remains.  ~Alfred North Whitehead

Two of our 52 Books Bingo categories fit in perfectly with our nonfiction November theme - Philosophy and Self help -  which could actually be one and the same, depending on your point of view. 

According to the Book Genre Dictionary:

"Books in the philosophy nonfiction genre are about the fundamental nature of knowledge, reality, and existence as an academic discipline. The books in this genre also explore fundamental truths about one’s self, the world, and their relationships. They also delve into and argue the answers to life’s most basic questions, literally exploring the basic fundamentals of knowledge and existence."

"Books in the self-help nonfiction genre are based on one’s own effort and resources to achieve things and goals without relying on the help of others. The books in this genre can be about self-guided improvement in one’s economic standing, their intellectual state of being, and in their emotionally and self-worth state of being."

Dive into the history of Philosophy and Self help with Guide to the World's Philosophers ,  A Short History of Self Help  and  American and Japanese Self Help Literature and check out Yukichi Fukuzawa's An Outline of a Theory of Civilization

Best Philosophy Books for Beginners

Best Modern Philosophy Books

70 Philosophical Books Everyone Should Read

Popular Nonfiction Philosophical books

The 25 Best Self Improvement Books to Read No Matter How Old You Are

Popular Self Improvement books

110 Of The Best Self-Improvement Books You’ll Ever Read

Have fun following rabbit trails!

Brit Tripping

Our Brit Trip on Watling Way is taking us to Cheshire. Cheshire has a long industrial and transportation background as it was the largest train manufacturer in the 1800’s and also claims the invention of Cheshire Cheese, first stagecoach run, and the first neighborhood watch program in the UK.

Rabbit trails: Chester Rows  Virtual Tour  Roman Amphitheater   Lyme Hall - Pride and Prejudice Capesthorne Hall  

What are you reading?

Link to week 46

• Like 10

Are you ready to discuss Kristin Lavransdatter?  

From Penguin Random House Reading Guide:  " Kristin Lavransdatter explores many issues that resonate today: women’s sexuality; the balance of power between men and women; and the role of religious faith in everyday life. Would you characterize Undset’s approach to these subjects as “liberal” or “conservative”? Is Kristin a feminist heroine, striving to balance her career as the hard-working mistress of Husaby and the Jørundgaard and her family obligations? Are the decisions she makes and the values by which she lives her life relevant to contemporary readers?"

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

I finally finished Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot which was good and different, but convoluted at times. I had a hard time getting into it and sticking with it for long periods of time.

I'm currently reading Rachel Caine's Stillhouse Lake which is wonderful so far.

"Gina Royal is the definition of average—a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor—the ultimate warrior mom.  With her ex now in prison, Gwen has finally found refuge in a new home on remote Stillhouse Lake. Though still the target of stalkers and Internet trolls who think she had something to do with her husband’s crimes, Gwen dares to think her kids can finally grow up in peace. But just when she’s starting to feel at ease in her new identity, a body turns up in the lake—and threatening letters start arriving from an all-too-familiar address. Gwen Proctor must keep friends close and enemies at bay to avoid being exposed—or watch her kids fall victim to a killer who takes pleasure in tormenting her. One thing is certain: she’s learned how to fight evil. And she’ll never stop."

.Next up is Star Wars The Last Jedi which James has requested I read immediately if not sooner.  We watched the movie together and he said the book is better because they left a few things out of the movie that would have explained some things.  

• Like 9

Nothing to report this week. I started and gave up on a few books. I'm getting more selective as I get older, or at least I like to think that I'm getting that way. I finally made an "abandoned" shelf on Good Reads. Took me long enough! One of my pet peeves, and I'm sure that I've done it many a time, is rating a book which I don't actually finish reading. I don't think that's really being fair. I sometimes see others, and again I'm quite sure I've done it, giving 1 or 2 stars or whatever, to a book and then saying that they only read a few pages or whatever. 

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Negin said:

Nothing to report this week. I started and gave up on a few books. I'm getting more selective as I get older, or at least I like to think that I'm getting that way. I finally made an "abandoned" shelf on Good Reads. Took me long enough! One of my pet peeves, and I'm sure that I've done it many a time, is rating a book which I don't actually finish reading. I don't think that's really being fair. I sometimes see others, and again I'm quite sure I've done it, giving 1 or 2 stars or whatever, to a book and then saying that they only read a few pages or whatever. 

I've had a hard time lately settling on books to read. Don't know if it's attention span or the book choices themselves.  Also my reading time had diminished thanks to watching a lot more tv lately.  Joining hubby and James in watching all the old Doctor Who most evenings.  We're currently alternating between Hartnell and Troughton seasons. 

• Like 9

Yesterday I finished Grace Draven's fantasy romance Phoenix Unbound (The Fallen Empire Book 1)  which I quite enjoyed.  Now I'm wondering if the series will continue with more about the two major characters in this book (I think not) or whether secondary characters in this book will get their own books (I think so).

"Every year, each village is required to send a young woman to the Empire's capital--her fate to be burned alive for the entertainment of the masses. For the last five years, one small village's tithe has been the same woman. Gilene's sacrifice protects all the other young women of her village, and her secret to staying alive lies with the magic only she possesses.

But this year is different.

Azarion, the Empire's most famous gladiator, has somehow seen through her illusion--and is set on blackmailing Gilene into using her abilities to help him escape his life of slavery. Unknown to Gilene, he also wants to reclaim the birthright of his clan.

To protect her family and village, she will abandon everything to return to the Empire--and burn once more."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 9

34 minutes ago, Robin M said:

I finally finished Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot which was good and different, but convoluted at times. I had a hard time getting into it and sticking with it for long periods of time.

I'm currently reading Rachel Caine's Stillhouse Lake which is wonderful so far.

"Gina Royal is the definition of average—a shy Midwestern housewife with a happy marriage and two adorable children. But when a car accident reveals her husband’s secret life as a serial killer, she must remake herself as Gwen Proctor—the ultimate warrior mom.  With her ex now in prison, Gwen has finally found refuge in a new home on remote Stillhouse Lake. Though still the target of stalkers and Internet trolls who think she had something to do with her husband’s crimes, Gwen dares to think her kids can finally grow up in peace. But just when she’s starting to feel at ease in her new identity, a body turns up in the lake—and threatening letters start arriving from an all-too-familiar address. Gwen Proctor must keep friends close and enemies at bay to avoid being exposed—or watch her kids fall victim to a killer who takes pleasure in tormenting her. One thing is certain: she’s learned how to fight evil. And she’ll never stop."

.Next up is Star Wars The Last Jedi which James has requested I read immediately if not sooner.  We watched the movie together and he said the book is better because they left a few things out of the movie that would have explained some things.  

I am looking forward to the final review on Stillhouse Lake.  I keep looking at it but never check it out......I probably will now.  ? My son said the same thing about The Last Jedi.  He hasn't seen the movie and actually said no thanks when Dh offered to buy it for a movie night. He read the review somewhere..........

5 minutes ago, Negin said:

I used to only put books on the abandoned shelf of I had read like 20% and recently started putting them on if I had read even a couple of pages.  This way I know that I really have read those first pages before........

Which brings me to Shropshire...........I managed to find an alternative to Cadefel but do not care for it https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1151989.The_Smile_of_a_Ghost.  I just marked it as abandoned.  My Cadefel appeared this morning and I decided to try it before I reached a final decision and it is a good read, as in 10% done before I could make myself put it down!    I may have wanted new but I didn't like it!

For Cheshire I am using the first book in Andrew Wilson's new series about Agatha Christie, A Talent for Murder was a book that visited many counties including Cheshire.  I actually have the second in that series in the stack even though the first was marginal. I decided writing a story about an event that all Christie fans know about (her disappearance/reappearance in Harrogate) was setting the bar a bit high for reader satisfaction so one more try! . A Different Kind of Evil apparently takes place in Tenerife so it won't be great for Brit Tripping.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I am looking forward to the final review on Stillhouse Lake.  I keep looking at it but never check it out......I probably will now.  ? My son said the same thing about The Last Jedi.  He hasn't seen the movie and actually said no thanks when Dh offered to buy it for a movie night. He read the review somewhere..........

Did you read her Great LIbrary series? They were really good.    James also read and watched a bunch of star wars youtubers who didn't like the movie. I watched a few with him, then when I saw the movie, which was excellent by the way, I realized they missed quite a bit because there was a lot going on below the surface.  John and I watched it and loved it.  When James was ready to watch it, I told him he had to put away all his preconceptions and really watch the film because the reviews got it all wrong.  Same goes with Solo. It was just as good.  Have you guys seen Last Jedi or Solo yet?  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

Did you read her Great LIbrary series? They were really good.    James also read and watched a bunch of star wars youtubers who didn't like the movie. I watched a few with him, then when I saw the movie, which was excellent by the way, I realized they missed quite a bit because there was a lot going on below the surface.  John and I watched it and loved it.  When James was ready to watch it, I told him he had to put away all his preconceptions and really watch the film because the reviews got it all wrong.  Same goes with Solo. It was just as good.  Have you guys seen Last Jedi or Solo yet?  

I really enjoyed the Great Library series and didn’t connect the dots to Stillhouse Lake.  

? Wouldn’t be surprised if my ds didn’t watch the same YouTube’s!  Since I read reviews I assume he reads reviews.....I learn a whole lot from my kids on “how to” these days!   I won’t even start on my new Instagram knowledge.......?

I am glad to have a recommendation for both Last Jedi and Solo because Dd wasn’t pleased with DS going thumbs down on two movies she wanted to see!  I think they ended up getting one of the new Marvel’s that night.  It’s hard to believe that it’s possible to buy a pretty current movie for less than the cost of the 4 of us going out to one,  even the cheap times cost about the same as the dvd.

@Kareni  I have both Phoenix Unbound and Josh & Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating on hold.  Glad to know you enjoyed them!

• Like 8

This week finished The Old Wives' Tale, Henry IV Part I, and St. Anselm of Canterbury's Proslogion, which featured dh explaining the Ontological Argument to Middle Girl and me (again). One of those things where it all makes sense while it's being explained, but then you can't explain it yourself.

Currently reading for Cheshire Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford, which I like better than North and South (which is getting a lot of love in the thread about Books Everyone Should Read, so I feel guilty not liking it that much). Cranford is a series of sixteen sketches set in the eponymous Cheshire town, based on Gaskell's home town of Knutsford, portraying the lives of mostly older English village women. A much subtler touch than in North and South, I thought.

Much of Cranford consists of the elderly women reminiscing, and there were enough anecdotes from the Napoleonic Wars that I think I'm going to count Cranford for the Georgette Heyer rank ("Must include one book set during Regency era").

• Like 11

I notice that nobody has jumped in to discuss Kristin Lavransdatter.?  I abandoned it somewhere in the second book, fully intending to pick it back up, but haven't been too motivated to finish. It was her stupid, insipid and feckless husband that made me put it down, though Kristin didn't inspire me much, either. 

I'm in need of audio fluff to amuse me while I hand quilt a Christmas wall hanging, so am listening to the new Brandon Sanderson YA, Skyward. It's just fine, nothing special, but good escapist sci-fi.

Speaking of sci-fi, we recently rewatched Last Jedi and I liked it much less than I did in the theater. I liked Luke Skywalker and finish to his story arc, and Laura Dern's character. And while I'm a huge fan of Kelly Marie Tran because she grew up in my church and sang in the choir with my ds, I thought her story line was the weakest of the movie. The family consensus is the Hans Solo movie isn't even worth a rewatch! The new Star Wars land at Disneyland opens up in May or June next year. I'm hoping there will be special preview days for family of cast members, otherwise I won't go near the place for another year or so due to the crowds! 

I enjoyed both North and South and Cranford, though it's been a few years since I read them and I now have the tv adaptations mixed in my mind with the books. My guess is that most of us hopeless romantics here at WTM love North and South because they live happily ever after and because of Richard Armitage in the tv version. 

• Like 11

8 hours ago, Robin M said:

From Penguin Random House Reading Guide:  " Kristin Lavransdatter explores many issues that resonate today: women’s sexuality; the balance of power between men and women; and the role of religious faith in everyday life. Would you characterize Undset’s approach to these subjects as “liberal” or “conservative”? Is Kristin a feminist heroine, striving to balance her career as the hard-working mistress of Husaby and the Jørundgaard and her family obligations? Are the decisions she makes and the values by which she lives her life relevant to contemporary readers?"

For such a meticulously researched and narratively old-fashioned work, KL seems wonderfully “fresh.” And how familiar, perhaps how universal, her core experiences are: the heart wants what it wants, regardless of what family, friends, and faith may prescribe; the head may regret, even before the bed cools; motherhood reshapes a woman’s body and mind; not men, nor children, nor work can change a woman’s essential and secret self; remaining on nodding terms with that self is a source of strength in old age.

I need a clearer head to offer more, but, golly, I’m glad to have read the trilogy. Thanks again, Robin.

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 7

Today I reached 121 books read this year. Twenty-six of those are non-fiction works, which means I am only four books from my goal of thirty. 

Speaking of non-fiction… from Walden on Wheels: On the Open Road from Debt to Freedom (Ken Ilgunas):

p. 74
It never failed: When I’d gaze at the stars and the aurora, I’d see my problems for what they were. I always told myself that I’d been under the control of other forces: parents, school, work. And I’d convinced myself that my debt was to blame for everything as if I had nothing to do with contracting the debt in the first place). I hated my job even though I worked for a wonderful company. And I told myself that, because of the debt, I couldn’t travel, couldn’t go back to school, and now couldn’t even leave my room. 

Part of me liked being in debt. Part of me even wanted to stay in debt, to keep going on random and expensive three-week trips to places like Ecuador so I could spend my hard-earned dollars on halfhearted adventures, instead of staying focused on what should have remained my true goal: busting out of the great American debtors’ prison, steadily chipping away at its walls with each paycheck. 

Part of me like being in that position of submission, tied up in leather, willfully cowering beneath a ruthless whip-wielding Sallie Mae. Life is simpler when we feel controlled. When we tell ourselves that we are controlled, we can shift the responsibility of freeing ourselves onto that which controls us. When we do that, we don’t have to bear the responsibility for our own unhappiness or shoulder the burden of self-ownership. We don’t have to do anything. And nothing will ever change. 

Also on the subject of non-fiction… I loved Krimstein’s The Three Escapes of Hannah Arendt. What a fabulous introduction to the philosopher’s life and work! Good customer service story: My copy of Hannah Arendt: For Love of the World (Elisabeth Young-Bruehl), ordered not long after I finished The Three Escapes, arrived with a bent cover and chipped pages. Hoping for a modest discount, I wrote to customer service, and Amazon refunded the entire cost of the book.

Edited by Melissa M
  • Like 8

22 minutes ago, Melissa M said:

For such a meticulously researched and narratively old-fashioned work, KL seems wonderfully “fresh.” And how familiar, perhaps how universal, her core experiences are: the heart wants what it wants, regardless of what family, friends, and faith may prescribe; the head may regret, even before the bed cools; motherhood reshapes a woman’s body and mind; not men, nor children, nor work can change a woman’s essential and secret self; remaining on nodding terms with that self is a source of strength in old age.

I need a clearer head to offer more, but, golly, I’m glad to have read the trilogy. Thanks again, Robin.

I also want to thank Robin for this read along. I am still plugging away with a few pages a week so I don’t forget the storyline.  At this point KL has been set aside somewhere in the middle of book two while I complete Bingo and tweak Brit Tripping a bit.  Also the Flower challenge...........I will finish in 2018.

But I just have to say  that the thing that has surprised me the most is KL was written almost a century ago in a foreign language and I am down right furious at times with those over privileged characters doing unthinkable things.  I could be watching a modern day soap opera.....These characters are readable,  I just really dislike Erland and frequently have an urge to shake Kristin!  

9 hours ago, Robin M said:

I think I consider her approach to many of the religious topics to be quite conservative even if on the surface her storyline is not.  She writes a book that lets the reader be appalled by Kristin’s and Erland’s behavior over and over again.  They know they did wrong but find asking for forgiveness very hard.  I think their need to confess is growing in the section I am reading.  I still have quite a bit to read but that’s my view for now!

• Like 6

@JennW in SoCal I have to ask about that Christmas wall hanging because I can’t help but wonder because I recently purchased the pattern for Welcome to North Pole https://pieceocakeblog.com/welcome-to-the-north-pole/ .  Silly me I actually thought I could start it in October and finish for this holiday season but learned after my purchase it’s all hand appliqué.   I now own the fabric .........maybe next year.

Off to look at Kareni’s links.......

• Like 6

@mumto2 I've adapted a Pacific Rim Quilt company stocking pattern using tropical florals in honor of all the holidays spent in Hawaii with family. My runner only has 6 stockings, too. I used the machine to appliqué after sticking the stockings on with good ol' "wonder under". I'm just echo quilting the top half, will use the machine to make the bottom half look more like bricks. 

Your wall hanging pattern is adorable!!!

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

For Violet Crown:  'Born To Be Posthumous' Brings Edward Gorey's Name To His Work  by Michael Schaub

Thanks for that article! It notes that Gorey got his start doing covers for Doubleday's imprint, Anchor Books. Less known are his cover drawings for Doubleday imprint Image Books, many of which have recognizable Gorey art but usually without crediting Gorey. For Merseyside I'm reading Melville's Redburn, with a fabulous Gorey cover:

image.png.bb6fe6c160e9732c802a928337b84b6a.png

11 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

II enjoyed both North and South and Cranford, though it's been a few years since I read them and I now have the tv adaptations mixed in my mind with the books. My guess is that most of us hopeless romantics here at WTM love North and South because they live happily ever after and because of Richard Armitage in the tv version. 

I'm all for happy endings! But Bel-Ami had a happy ending, and yet Some People disagreed, so who am I to judge. Richard who?

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just popping in to say hello!  I haven't been here in a while - well, reading but not posting. I may have missed a week or two.

I'm still filling in blanks on the Brit Trip, mostly via fluff audio books in the Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes. I just filled in my Tyne and Wear square with Jerusalem Inn. That was exciting though the book was not great. None of them are, really, but they are entertaining and I enjoy the recurring characters.  

I will end with a lot of empty spaces but still enjoying the challenge. I'm hoping to find something other than A Christmas Carol for Christmas in London but at least I know I have that one taken care of if necessary.  I am hoping to come across something different (though I will read it as I do every year).

• Like 10

May I jump in here? I read this thread, but have only posted in it once before.

Just wanted to say thanks! I have gotten lots of good reading ideas from y'all. Books I would not have known of or read otherwise.

I have finished the first volume of KL, but will wait to decide what I think until I've seen how the story develops in the next two books. 

Reading Katherine Wentworth and enjoying it.

I often read along with CiRCE's Close Reads podcast and sometimes with The Play's the Thing, so I will jump into The Great Gatsby and Henry V this week. 

• Like 13

51 minutes ago, marbel said:

Just popping in to say hello!  I haven't been here in a while - well, reading but not posting. I may have missed a week or two.

I'm still filling in blanks on the Brit Trip, mostly via fluff audio books in the Richard Jury series by Martha Grimes. I just filled in my Tyne and Wear square with Jerusalem Inn. That was exciting though the book was not great. None of them are, really, but they are entertaining and I enjoy the recurring characters.  

I will end with a lot of empty spaces but still enjoying the challenge. I'm hoping to find something other than A Christmas Carol for Christmas in London but at least I know I have that one taken care of if necessary.  I am hoping to come across something different (though I will read it as I do every year).

Tyne and Wear is very exciting!  I finally found and Anne Cleeves that was set there.  I will update the Goodreads Brit Trip with your find since Robin has decided to leave Brit Trip up on 52 Books.

Just in case you didn’t see the Christmas in London update:

On 11/12/2018 at 5:28 PM, aggieamy said:

I think the original thought was that while it was Christmas for us (the reader) we would spend it in London. Which would be the book would be set in London but at any time period. But since Sandy and I are not cruel ruthless Brit Trip leaders we will happily allow any book set in England at Christmas OR set in London at any time period. Or you could just listen to one of the many incredible audiobooks of A Christmas Carol. Might I recommend this one? It's my favorite.

Thank you for going through the effort of listing all the Wentworth books with rating and your notes. I haven't read as many as you have so I enjoyed reading through the list and making notes of which ones to add to my audible account. Have there been any set at Christmas

On 11/16/2018 at 2:46 AM, tuesdayschild said:

Run out of time to post, too busy reading the new posts.  Tossing this reply up ?

Thank you Brit Trip Moderators - you've gifted me with a really interesting reading British based reading year -  your edict ?  opens up that last option hugely.

Welcome back Kareni - hoping you got to have a wonderful visit with your sister, and time at the wedding!

ETA: Amy.... The Clock Strikes 12: Miss Silver Bk7 ~ Patricia Wentworth (technically the new year, but close enough to Christmas ? )

@JennW in SoCal  Those Christmas socks are too cute!  Please post a picture somewhere when you are done.......I actually attempted to start a holiday craft thread last week but it hasn’t seen a whole lot of action. ?? I tried!  I think the flower prints will be adorable on all the odd socks.....I am considering trying good old wonder under on one of the small wall hanging and seeing how it goes.  I have started a few other projects in it’s place because I can’t decide.

• Like 7

Only finished two books this week - seem to be slowing down just when I'm having to wrap up the year!  

116. Space Opera by Catherynne Valente (ebook) - A manic book; a bit too manic and certain of its own hypercleverness for my tastes. I was so happy when it was over.  For my SciFi book club. 2 stars.  

I did like Radiance quite a bit more, but I still think I need to take her in small doses spread out and nothing more that's like Space Opera.  I had heard good things about Deathless, but if it's all hyper-frenetic psuedo-cleverness, I'm not sure if I want to...

117. Chronicle in Stone by Ismail Kadare -   A child's eye view of WWII in Gjirokaster, a stone city set on a steep hill that was invaded and re-invaded over and over during the course of the war.  4 stars.

Currently reading: 

- Uncle Tungsten: Memory of a Chemical Boyhood by Oliver Sacks - Somehow I'd never read anything by Oliver Sacks. Another memoir of a boyhood during WWII, but quite different than the one in Albania, as I guess would be expected. 

- The Mere Wife by Maria Dahvana Headley (ebook) - After some rave reviews I decided to try to squeeze it in this year when it showed up on Overdrive.  I think I will be very happy I did.

Also still working on Everything Here is Beautiful (audio), Der Prozess/The Trial, and The Crab-Flower Club.

• Like 10

17 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I notice that nobody has jumped in to discuss Kristin Lavransdatter.?  I abandoned it somewhere in the second book, fully intending to pick it back up, but haven't been too motivated to finish. It was her stupid, insipid and feckless husband that made me put it down, though Kristin didn't inspire me much, either. 

I

I enjoyed this book, read it around the beginning of the year for the first time in decades.

But I wondered whether it was anachronistic or not.  It seemed like it might be, particularly with regards to the dominance of Catholic views in the era when it was written--I would like to know whether those were really as extant in Kristin's country in her era as the book assumed.  I'm thinking not, since it was still transitioning from the old religion at that point.

I was interested in the alcoves in which people slept--that increases the functionality of a great room quite a bit which was a point that I had never really understood.  I have seen older mountain cabins with that kind of design and thought it was really weird, but now that I understand the roots of it I will appreciate them more.

In general I thought Kristin's husband was a jerk.  He had heroic tendencies but he was like every other weak here, strong there guy I've known of, and her devotion to him was understandable at first but came to seem kind of stupid to me as time went on.  Also his determination to live elsewhere for the last years of their marriage was cruel and immoral IMO, and kind of unrealistic as well.  The manner of his death reminded me of a Christopher Plummer movie I saw once in which the MC got through all kinds of hardship only to die stupidly because he caught his foot in something that was sinking under the water.  Ironic and unsatisfying.

Still the book was well written and enjoyable.  The picture it painted of their lifestyle was the most interesting part, to me.  I think that when I first read it I was probably more interested in the love story--triumph and tragedy--and skimmed over the other parts that I enjoyed on this reading.  I'm glad to have slogged through it again after all these years, but I probably won't read it again in the future.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 11

I read Kristen Lavransdatter a few years ago. The thing I remember made me the most angry was when she was pregnant for like the sixth time and her husband said something like, “You must try to have a little maiden.” Jerk!

I finished Radium Girls. Man, that was one helluva book. There was just so much everything in there. The expendibility with which young women were viewed. The “possession” of medical records by company officials the subjects were not allowed to see; the outright lies told of their “perfect health.” In the interest of total honesty, I did not complete reading the Epilogue. That book just went on interminably and by the time I was reading the Epilogue, I found it unbearable to hear one more, “...but the company denied knowledge...” So, having absorbed more than the gist, I called it done. 

I have begun reading In The Shadow of Statues by Mitch Landrieu. I am very intrigued. 

I am also listening to Anne Lamott’s Almost Everything. I love her word craft and the way she uses language and hearing her narrate just makes that all the better. 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Quill said:

I am also listening to Anne Lamott’s Almost Everything. I love her word craft and the way she uses language and hearing her narrate just makes that all the better. 

Oh, nice to know--I just saw yesterday that she has this new book out and I have not seen it yet.  I am vacationing in a city with literally no book stores, and it's driving me nuts.

Another new book that I want to see and will probably buy is the latest from Barbara Kingsolver.

• Like 9

Posting first and coming back to read later...

New to my current listen /reading pile:

• The Mill On the Floss ~ George Elliot  my Classic read for this month.
  • The Raphael Affair ~ Iain Pears(epukapuka)  thanks for this reading suggestion mumto2
  • Dealing with People You Can’t Stand ~ Rick Brinkman  N/F (epukapuka)  This is not holding my attention, and may end up being another abandoned read.

Completed:     

• (November’s Blossom Challenge last week with the tie-up read being    Y =  The Yellow Face ~  Arthur Conan Doyle(3)  I didn’t see the solution twist at the end coming, which could be a sensitive issue for some. )
  • The Fallen Angel: Gabriel Allon Bk12 ~ Daniel da Silva, narration by George Guidall (3) I don’t usually read thrillers, this is my 2nd one this month 😉 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2591307200    Extra for others that like to know stuff like this in advance too: some swearing, incs one f-bomb.  Miscarriage and infertility, death of child, a few bedroom scenes which added nothing to the story (no adult rated details).
  • The January Man: A Year of Walking Britain ~  Christopher Somerville  N/F Abandoned.  I think my rocky recovery is lowering my willingness to want to stick with books that I may have given a longer opportunity to, hopefully,  improve –  or perhaps I’m just indulging in a ‘cranky old lady’ moment earlier than I should be 😋
  • Year of No Sugar ~ Eve. O Schaub   N/F (2 https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/2588308096   Extra:  some cursing, no f-bombs.
  • Legacy of the Dead: Ian Rutledge Bk4 ~ Charles Todd(epukapuka) (3.5)  London, Hampshire, Tyne & Wear? (right on the boarder of Durham).   Ended in a rush, with too many loose tangled threads.  I did skip all the throwback references to how Hamish came to live inside Ian’s head. 
  • Prayers for Sale ~ Sandra Dallas   (no rating/abandoned) Tennessee / Colorado  USA Civil war, Depression era.     I’m over a quarter of the way through this book and it’s not holding my interest so I’m abandoning it. Tall Grass by the same author was a much more engaging read.(Possible trigger content in this book:  a stillborn baby, death of two other babies one by accidental drowning the other is murdered by its father.  Extreme domestic violence.) 
  • The Elephant Whisperer: My Life with the Herd in the African Wild ~ Lawrence Anthony,  Graham Spence, narrated by Simon Vance    N/F (4.5)  Simon Vance does a superb job narrating this book, he made a story that interested me from the go-get that much more enjoyable.  (A few curse words, no f-bombs.  Tragic, sad, losses of some of the animals, and not just via the senseless poaching for tusks, and, trophy shootings.)
  •  

Edited by tuesdayschild
tidy up wonky copy n paste
  • Like 9

I've continued on in the Honor Harrington military science fiction series that @Nan in Mass mentioned at one time.  I've now finished books The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington Book 3)  and Field of Dishonor (Honor Harrington Book 4) both by David Weber.  The latter had me crying.  This is a series that should be read in order.  The first book On Basilisk Station (Honor Harrington Book 1)  is currently free to Kindle readers.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone!

I read my scary book! A Head Full of Ghosts by Paul Tremblay and it wasn't as frightening as I was afraid it would be. It's mostly told through the eyes of the 8yo daughter and also goes back and forth in flashbacks. I gave it 4 stars on GR. The ending was somewhat ambiguous and I really liked how the author did that. 

The Stranger from the Sea (Poldark #8) - Oh dear this one was mostly a snooze. It seemed that more than half of the story was exposition and I just. didn't. care. Anyone watch the season finale on Sunday? 

I've been reading Kristin Lavransdatter and am about one third of the way into The Cross. Erlend is such a flake, Kristin needs to get over herself (yes, we know - you sinned! - move forward with your spiritual life - it will be ok!), and I'm missing Lavrans. Simon has become the upstanding, go-to-guy that everyone depends on.  I believe if he had actually married Kristin that he wouldn't be as wonderful as he ends up being - what do you think? 

I agree with Melissa M about the story being so fresh and relatable - Kristin and Erlend's relationship has all the ups and downs that any modern marriage has. Undset's writing and Tina Nunnally's translation is beautifully done. Oh! One thing that surprised me the first time I read it was how women in that place and time were able to inherit property and money AND keep it after marriage. Very cool!

I love the quilt patterns, Jenn and mum!

• Like 8

I read The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson and I am more than halfway through The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I had read the first book in the spring. These are real page turners!

We are also listening to Enchantress from the Stars  by Sylvia Engdahl.  I love this!  Makes you think!

Edited by Teaching3bears
addition
  • Like 7

I went to Barnes and Noble yesterday and bought myself an early birthday present.  Jayne Ann Krentz Promise Not To Tell and Dean Koontz Watchers.

The clerk was a comedian - Hey, do you want a free bag - I 'Promise not to tell" wink wink.  But you know I'd probably get in trouble, because you know, and he points at the camera in the corner. "Watchers."  Wink wink! 

My dad calls this morning at 7:00 and wakes me out of a deep sleep.  Happy birthday honey.  Wait, what? Is today Wednesday?  I was totally confused and thought I'd lost a day in my grogginess.  He was on the way to church and wanted to let me know he was having a mass said for me.  Okay, that's worth a wake up call.  ❤️

My sweetheart of a FIL has bailed us out and provided a short term loan for the overages for our building project so we don't have to dip into our IRA's early.  Of course we could have put everything on hold and waited six months until we're 59 1/2.  That would have been a disaster. Happy dance and a lot of stress relieved.  

So I'm a happy camper today! 

My internet finds for today:  

Which Edward Gorey Archtype are you? I'm mostly Cat.  No big surprise there! 😎

15 Bookish Things that Millennials have ruined.  😋

B&N Podcast - Lee Child on Jack Reacher's Quirks

Hi @ScoutTN Welcome and jump in any time you want. 

@Kareni- Love the links.  I've read 14 of the 50 Greatest Science Fiction debut novels.  See a few more on the list I'd like to read.  

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 8

Happy Birthday (on the right day) Robin.  Nice to get books and your Dad to bless you early!    So good to read the good news about your building project.    With challenges (loved the Brit Trip, especially the fact it had rebel wriggle room) I'm too new to participating online, bar the 52 in 52 challenge,  to be much help -  though I've appreciated the monthly themes to expand my reading choices.

I really appreciate all the links and book titles each of you here shares.  Thanks!!

@ScoutTN hope you keep on jumping in.

• Like 8

I just read a book that I never would have read if I had known what it was about but I kept going and read it all this morning......  So I had the author confused with someone who writes romances about young adults, I thought I was getting fluffy angst and instead found myself reading a book about infertility.  That is a topic I avoid because too many bad memories.  All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover is a painful read if you have been through infertility but I am actually glad I read it, I think.  It was a good reminder of what it felt like to be part of that couple.  Someone I care about is suffering and I know she has a hard time relating to me because 20 years later I am a retired home ed mom with not one but two dc.  I actually got my babies and she has no idea if she will.......Anyway I think I needed to read that book.......maybe it will help me say something wise and helpful.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover is a painful read if you have been through infertility but I am actually glad I read it, I think. ...

I've read a number of books by Colleen Hoover and several covered difficult subjects. 

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

...maybe it will help me say something wise and helpful.

I hope it will.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

These are currently free for Kindle readers ~

for children: The Happy Hollisters at Snowflake Camp: (Volume 6)   by Jerry West

'charming fantasy': Truth Teller (Truth Teller Series Book 1)  by Kurt Chambers

time travel western romance:  Yellowstone Heart Song by Peggy L Henderson 

Retribution: A Psychic Detective Kate Pierce thriller  by C.M. Sutter

LGBT:  Playing for Keeps (Glasgow Lads Book 1)  by Avery Cockburn

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Happy book challenge moment: Georgette Heyer gifted me unexpectedly with Shropshire in Royal Escape  (so many localities visited in that book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_of_Charles_II).  

I wasn't going to read Royal Escape until next year but was so peeved at the ending in The Mill on the Floss - it should be titled Drowned in the Floss 😠 - It was time to reach for a trusted author and comfort read.  

• Like 5

🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃Happy Thanksgiving🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃

Now to see if the turkeys work!  I do realize that it isn’t Thanksgiving everywhere but since our friend who is traveling for work in Pakistan just ate an unusual Thanksgiving banquet I decided it was appropriate to post!

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃Happy Thanksgiving🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃🦃

This, to all who celebrate Thanksgiving!!!    (And now I'm left wondering what that unusual banquet was 😋 No pressure to elaborate.)  Enjoy your turkey mumto2.

Amazingly, we have Black Friday sales here in NZ, a newish commercial push,  but none of the US pause, gather, and, reflect side of Thanksgiving.

Books  .....    I've just started listening to  A Picture of Murder ~ T.E Kinsey which could count as a (very gentle!) Halloween season read, centred around spooky, early, cinematography.  The narrator is a bit too breathy in this audio, but nothing I can't put up with.  Overdrive has gifted me with a gush of items that I'd had on hold - time to weed out the want to reads/listens.

I'm waiting for Audible's 50% off sale to stock up on some hoped for summertime listens, D.E Stevenson books count in there.  I'd like to try a few Margery Allingham books narrated by Philip Franks.

• Like 6