Menu

Weighted blankets: brand? price? upcoming deals?

Angie in VA

I read about a deal on one on Amazon Prime day, but I wasn't interested in one then. Now I am for someone else, but I admit, when we pile on blankets on our bed, it is like being in a cocoon! I* think* I understand what weight to buy (according to the size of the person using it), but do but what the person's body weight is on the border of the cut off? Should I go lighter or heavier? Or is it a personal choice?

Also, do you recommend one size v. another? For ex, is the size of a typical throw good, or should it match the bed? 

Please help me know good brands, what to look for, how to wash and dry these, and companies that might have sales on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. 

All advice welcome. Thanks!

Edited by Angie in VA
To add questions about the weight

18 minutes ago, Gobblygook said:

I bought one for my son and liked it so much I bought one for myself!

I buy from a local small business. 

I wouldn't know where to look for these locally. PM me?

ETA: Wait! Did you find a choice of sizes (not just weights)? How do you wash this? Did you put a cover on it to wash? Thanks!

Edited by Angie in VA

We bought this one for dd a couple of months ago (it was only $70 then though). She absolutely loves it. It's not warm at all (she uses another warm blanket with it), so she thinks it will be fine for summer as well. We will probably end up buying a cover for it since there's no way I'm washing the thing. In the meantime she just puts the blanket on top of her sheet so that it doesn't get dirty.

Edited by Lostinabook
  • Like 1

We love https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073429DV2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fCF5BbKDF1JBX

First, we bought the one linked above and I am sorry to report that we had beads leaking all over the bed. We couldn’t find a tear but somehow those little buggers were getting out.  Probably an anomaly but just wanted to tell you of our experience. We have not had any trouble with the one I linked. 

Edited by Jean in Newcastle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We have a Magic Weighted Blanket and like it a lot!   https://magicweightedblanket.com

For a while we did not use it much because the weight made it sort of unruly to move/fold.  I solved that by dedicating a canvas bag to the blanket.  Instead of folding it up we just sort of "pour" the blanket into the bag.  The bag makes it easy to carry.  If i did not have the bag already i might have done a box with handles or a laundry basket.

Like others, we make a point of using it in a way that doesn't require frequent washing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might the blanket be shared?  If so I'd go up or down based on who might share.

If no one is sharing I'd go up. 

The Magic Blanket site I linked above suggests paying attention to length as well.  They have pretty good info on their site.

I also noticed the offer of a coupon code for signing up for emails.

• Thanks 1

On Prime day my older son got this + the cover:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BW9BZQT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The cover was kind of a waste.  The blanket has been great though.  

In the past we have had several different ones from Etsy sellers but none could hold the pellets in well.  

The boys both have one and I just ordered one for myself.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Oh my gosh it has rocked my world.  I sleep SO much better.  Both the weight and the warmth.  I'm only sorry I didn't do it 20 years earlier.

My husband OTOH loathes it; I wrap myself up like an extremely heavy burrito and he calls it "the chastity blanket" LOL.   

Pam, which one did you get? 

I just read that Target will be carrying 12 lb blankets for $70, and they will be $50 on black friday! 

I have/use a weighted blanket, but my mom made it for me, so I have no advice on buying one. I do love it. I would choose heavier- some of the weight of the blanket is not directly on you, so that's what I would prefer. I would love to have a much heavier, but larger blanket. Mine is skinny and I put it over the comforter only on my side because dh doesn't want to be under it.

• Thanks 1