Menu

lighthearted ... decorating question

gardenmom5

I'm finishing dh's office.

what color for the walls? - it has a west facing window.   the "L-shape" cabinetry/counter/desk is dark cherryish, flooring is brazilian cherry. hardware is satin nickle.  white molding.   this is mostly for him, as he only very rarely actually has clients in his office - usually they're in the dining room.

we've settled on a picture he took last summer of the nordkette to be the main - this isn't his, but the same view from patscherkofel. will give you an idea of colors.  I will have it blown up (preferably 3x4)  and hung on the wall to his left so he can see it.   I've thought about doing some shade of blue - but wasn't sure if that's a "productive" color for an office. - and green . . . well, dmil . ..  painted a lot of mahogany furniture avocado green back in the 70's.  every one is conditioned against that color.

and lights - a central ceiling fixture?  or  I've thought about doing those flexible led track lights (can add together) that I don't have to rewire, can have lights aimed at the closet where he has files as well as open shelving - his desk (which also has a bookcase/display shelves) , the counter.. . and then the picture - which is to be somewhat of a centerpiece. - don't have to rewire for spot lights. (they can be dimmed.)

I would be looking at neutrals. I think I would probably look at grays. I think the blue sky in the picture would really pop against the gray but be washed out against a blue wall. I'm having a hard time picturing the cherry with brownish/beige walls, but cool gray would go well with the red tones in the cherry. However, I'd definitely be trying several shades on the wall directly to make sure that the color stays looking good all day, both in the western sun, the morning ambient light, and the evening lights.

I really like the track light idea. I think we put the exact same lighting in our last kitchen. It was relatively easy to install, like you said, no re-wiring! And we really liked how it spotlighted our workstations. It really looks nice and brightened up the whole room.

• Like 1

That all sounds pretty dark.  I have Brazilian cherry floors in a couple of rooms, and I love them but they are on the medium dark side.  And then you have the cherry furniture, so a lot of reddish color already.  Love the picture, great idea to install it.  I would go with cream walls to brighten things up and make them pop.  Then you could put in those newer slinky transparent window covers that let the light and visibility in without the heat, since your window faces the sunset every day.  Over that I would personally consider heavy velvet drapes to or almost to the floor, like an antique library, if your room is not too modern looking (a deep jewel tone is traditional—deep green, red, or deep blue.  I would avoid red given the floors and furniture.). If your room is more modern I’d go with those large slatted shutters in a maple wood.  That would contrast with the other wood in the room but still look warm and inviting, not like gray.  Or I would just skip the second layer window coverings.

We have a lot of dark cherry/mahogany furniture, and our walls are very light.  I'd probably go with a very light cream.  I know there isn't necessarily cream in the photo to tie into it, but I think if you get a frame that matches the furniture, it will still tie it together.

2 hours ago, Tina said:

My office is a sky blue, a color I am very happy living with.  If I can't see out the window, it's the next best thing. 

how does the color affect your mood?   that's one thing I'm really wondering about - as I'm leaning towards a blue spectrum.  (I think it would go very well with the wood - and the millwork will pop too.)

4 hours ago, Tina said:

My office is a sky blue, a color I am very happy living with.  If I can't see out the window, it's the next best thing. 

I painted my home dance studio a sky blue. It’s called Wild Blue Yonder and I love how it feels. It makes me not mind being in the basement. 

771D6485-AC83-4706-B322-E1163B54569A.jpeg

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 1

Another vote for a light neutral, at least for the wall that will have the big mural. You want the photo to "pop" -- not have the wall paint compete for attention or wash out the photo. Check out Maria Killam's color wheel to help figure out a neutral that works best with your other colors. Perhaps choose a (NOT dark or saturated) relaxing sage green or lighter apple green in the office that help pull together the cherry flooring.

3 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

I like greens with wood. I like medium blues too, but they would wash out your artwork. Green would give it contrast. There’s something undeniably masculine about olive greens. It’s a warrior’s color. ? Maybe something like SW acier?

6DCD5BAD-71AC-4645-8D25-F96A4F8D4AA2.jpeg

too close to avocado green  that was popular in the 70's.  mil painted mahogany furniture avocado green.  the automatic reaction is to just cringe.

but I agree with needing a color that will make the painting pop.  (eta: dd is suggestion I have it printed on canvas  . . we'll see how much that will cost . . ..)

Edited by gardenmom5

2 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

That all sounds pretty dark.  I have Brazilian cherry floors in a couple of rooms, and I love them but they are on the medium dark side.  And then you have the cherry furniture, so a lot of reddish color already.  Love the picture, great idea to install it.  I would go with cream walls to brighten things up and make them pop.  Then you could put in those newer slinky transparent window covers that let the light and visibility in without the heat, since your window faces the sunset every day.  Over that I would personally consider heavy velvet drapes to or almost to the floor, like an antique library, if your room is not too modern looking (a deep jewel tone is traditional—deep green, red, or deep blue.  I would avoid red given the floors and furniture.). If your room is more modern I’d go with those large slatted shutters in a maple wood.  That would contrast with the other wood in the room but still look warm and inviting, not like gray.  Or I would just skip the second layer window coverings.

I won't be going dark with the walls as the room is small.   it has heavy white millwork around the window and doors.   White venetian blind.

I prefer color - but a lighter shade, enough to contrast with the white millwork. the public areas of the house are a faux finish that is reminiscent of light travertine. ranges between sandstone and khaki. (I've had it for about 20 years.  I've been in the mood to paint over it for awhile.)

the window has e-glass - that room doesn't heat up at all. besides, I have A/C.  (my living/dining . . . I got southern e-glass, to prevent the heat build up in those rooms.  fainting emoji.  the salesman thought it was overkill.  no, it wasn't.)  

the bookcase cabinet is half of one wall. that's it. the rest is wall, doors, window.   the counter starts the middle of one wall, and turns the corner and goes the length of the wall.  beneath are drawers for the full length that isn't desk (same height.)  

I attached a pic of the base of the desk. (which is basically two set's of drawers with a corner counter on top.)  the bookcase/hutch is currently residing in a wide hallway. . . . .  the window is to the right, to the left is a similar color two-drawer lateral file cabinet).  I'm continuing the counter across it, where he has two more printers . . . . I want to put a picture of Mt. Rainier & avalanche lilies above it.  the bookcase will be at the end of the left hand drawers you see and continues to the right hand wall.

The wall with the  3x4 (crossing fingers it works) nordkette has nothing on it - so it will be a focal point.  and with the track light - I can have two lights directed at it from opposing angles.

13 hours ago, Liz CA said:

Color is very personal so no suggestions there but I am all for track lighting and perhaps a desk lamp with a swivel head. One simply never knows where you need light at any given moment.

like/agree with this a lot.  I appreciate the encouragement for the track lighting - it's a cheap way to get "spots", and it doesn't look like a bedroom.   I'll keep an eye out for a lamp,   I like the smaller ones with an adjustable neck.