Menu

Tried and true potato soup recipe?

Peaceseeker

I think I have everything I need on hand, I just need some measurements or proportions.  There are SO many recipes online and the ones we have tried just turn out ok.

I am craving a cheesy version but we can add that in to any base recipe you know is good.  I have celery, onion, potatoes, chicken broth, milk or cream, cheddar cheese and bacon.

I don't really have mine written down, which is not like me...I prefer to follow a recipe....but basically I sauté a cup of onions, a cup of celery with a little garlic and half a stick or more of butter.  Then I add about 6 cups of potatoes chopped into bite size pieces.  Cover with water, cook until tender, then add a cup or two of half and half or whole milk and a cup of grated cheese and heat slowly until melted. Bacon crumbles are always a good addition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I don't really have mine written down, which is not like me...I prefer to follow a recipe....but basically I sauté a cup of onions, a cup of celery with a little garlic and half a stick or more of butter.  Then I add about 6 cups of potatoes chopped into bite size pieces.  Cover with water, cook until tender, then add a cup or two of half and half or whole milk and a cup of grated cheese and heat slowly until melted. Bacon crumbles are always a good addition. 

Mine is similar but I use vegetable broth or chicken broth to boil potatoes,  I mash the potatoes a little after 25-30 min.and we like shredded swiss cheese(about a cup). If I can't find shredded i cut up slices and stir e that in.  I always serve it with a good crusty bread.

Edited by lynn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I will have to remember bacon next time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Ok this was really helpful.  I pretty much followed your recipe except I used chicken broth instead of water.  Came out great and everyone loves it so I am writing it down in my recipe book.  It is an easy one to commit to memory which is nice also! Thanks every one!

Edited by CaliforniaDreamin

I like to sauté all of my potatoes and veggies in bacon fat (butter works too) until they’re nearly soft. Then I sprinkle a few tablespoons of flour over them and mix until it’s smooth and the oils are absorbed. Next I add the milk (often I donhalf milk half chicken broth). After that’s heated til bubbly, I remove some liquid and combine it with sour cream; whisk til smooth and return to the broth (if you want your soup thicker, add some flour to the sour cream/broth mix before whisking.) 

I add toppings when serving. We do bacon, cheese, and scallions. 

I know this doesn’t give you amounts, but you have to keep tasting potato soup along the way and adding little bits of salt and pepper until it’s right.  I think onions matter a lot and if your family is onion-adverse, it’s ok to purée them so they don’t see them. ?