Menu

cooking with jackfruit???

prairiewindmomma

I'm really interested in jackfruit.  I don't see them here like I did all of the time in Texas, but I have a lead on where I can track one down.  I've also found an asian market where I can probably find some in brine.

What do I need to know about working with it fresh? Canned? 

Do you have good jackfruit recipes?

Do you enjoy jackfruit?

My family enjoys eating all kinds of vegan recipes, but none of us were crazy about jackfruit the few times that I've made it. I think I made tacos once and barbecue sandwiches another time. The Minimalist Baker has some jackfruit recipes and I've seen them on a lot of other vegan sites, too.

If you're looking for jackfruit that isn't in brine, Amazon has 4.4 lb. packages of it. The company that sells it is called Edward and Sons.

• Like 1

We prefer jackfruit fresh to canned. Here it is available at chinese, korean and asian Indian supermarkets. We just eat them as a fruit. 

If we are using them as part of a recipe, it is for dessert. 

This one is simple and fast to make Jackfruit & Palm Seed Dessert Recipe https://westernasiangoodies.wordpress.com/2013/10/13/jackfruit-palm-seed-dessert-recipe/

This one is a lot more work and I rather order it at a restaurant or food festival than make it myself. https://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2007/10/che-thai-sweet.html

Jackfruit is also used in cakes in parts of Asia.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

If I remember correctly, you can’t do coconut, right?  I was going to share some Filipino recipes but they all use coconut milk with the jackfruit. 

Tell me please!

This is a fortuitous thread. I have a can of jackfruit waiting in my pantry for something to happen.

3 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Tell me please!

This is a fortuitous thread. I have a can of jackfruit waiting in my pantry for something to happen.

This is the dish I come across most often. While this recipe calls for pork, you can use shrimp instead or just leave it out for a vegetarian version. 

https://panlasangpinoy.com/2014/06/24/ginataang-langka-with-pork-recipe/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Selkie said:

My family enjoys eating all kinds of vegan recipes, but none of us were crazy about jackfruit the few times that I've made it. I think I made tacos once and barbecue sandwiches another time. The Minimalist Baker has some jackfruit recipes and I've seen them on a lot of other vegan sites, too.

If you're looking for jackfruit that isn't in brine, Amazon has 4.4 lb. packages of it. The company that sells it is called Edward and Sons.

Bummer. Those were two recipes that looked intriguing.

12 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I once had barbequed jackfruit that was shredded and doused fairly heavily with barbeque sauce.

It was pretty good. Somewhat approximated pulled pork.

Bill

This.  I had some at a potluck and it was quite good.  The people who brought it though are professional vegan chefs so I assume they know what they are doing.  I’m not sure I could duplicate their results.