Menu

Can we discuss Renaissance Festivals for a minute?

Mama Geek

I bought a knight costume for dd before realizing the weekends are all themed.  We may not be able to make it to the weekend that would be reasonable for that costume.  Especially for kids, would she be better off to go in street clothes or do people wear whatever costumes they have?  By the way her knight costume is also going to be used for Halloween so it will still get used.

I’ve seen people dressed as hobbits, wizards, Doctors, (from Doctor Who), at these things.  As long as it’s somewhat medieval/renaissance (or a Doctor costume) it’s all good.

My son is wearing a viking costume this coming Saturday on “Pirate Day.”  I’ll be wearing a pirate costume next week when it’s not pirate day.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3

Oh gosh yes, wear the costumes you have!  There will be all sort of costumes, and people in regular clothes.  Theme doesn't matter at all.

I love Renaissance Faires though I was spoiled by my first one and all others pale in comparison. Couple years ago I took my kids; they dressed in pirate-ish clothing and loved it. I don't even remember the theme... didn't matter.  

Edited by marbel

Even on the theme weekends there are always jousts, so a knight costume is always appropriate.

Personally I don’t costume up anymore because it’s too hot.  Last year I finally gave my Renaissance peasant woman costume away because I have not used it in so long.  At our local one, I would say that only about 1/3 of the visitors or less are in costume.  Lots of people wear one costume thing, like a drinking horn or a flower garland, just to give the nod to the festivities.  So it’s really an ‘anything goes’ space.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

Since you haven't been- I just wanted to give you a heads up in case it matters to you. Some of the women's costumes are extremely skimpy and suggestive. Some weekends are worse than others. We have seen chainmail thongs/gstrings/gchains (not sure what you would call them)  and with chain bikini tops, and other costumes that leave absolutely nothing to the imagination. It's not always like that, but it is on some weekends. I saw your dd is 7, so just thought I'd mention so you might be prepared to be on the look out and redirect if it is something that matters. 

Um, yeah, our local Ren fest has a lot of this kind of thing too, though I have heard there is a weekend that is supposed to be family friendly. I have a friend who works at our local festival, and it's just loads of crazy people and lots and lots of inexcusable (and often drunk) behavior. 

I sincerely hope yours is fun! I was so excited to go the first time and so under- and negatively impressed after I actually did.

5 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

It’s a cosplay free-for-all. I’d let her wear what she wants. Comfortable shoes are very important. I’d bring extra clothes in case her costume bugs her after a while. 

I put shoe inserts in our shoes. Our festival is unpaved with a ton of trees.  Walking on all those tree roots will leave your feet SORE at the end of the day without inserts.  

7 hours ago, Mama Geek said:

https://www.texrenfest.com/themedweekends/ is the one we are talking about going to, so like this weekend it is Octoberfest, next weekend is more magical fairy type stuff.  I am still not sure what weekend we are actually going.

I've been to that RenFest with kids in knight costumes and it was fine even though the theme was Christmas. If you're in costume, many people will greet you. The kids loved that.

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

Just so you know- they don't limit themselves to a specific area, if that makes sense. People walk around everywhere. There really isn't an "off-limit" area for it unless something changed in the last year. I'm not trying to scare you off- I'm just saying as far as family friendly there isn't any guarantee anything is quarantined to an area at Ren-Fest. We've taken our kids and I know a lot of people who take theirs, but I also know people who never would because of the bawdy jokes, and the corseted boobs hiked up to chins, not to mention the chain-mail so I just wanted you to be fully prepared. Things tend to descend as the day progresses..... They do have a homeschool day that I've heard is clean, but I haven't been to it. 

I've been to home school days. I vastly prefer them to the weekends because they're much less crowded and it's easier to get into the shows. I'd keep it in mind for next year.