Menu

NC/SC Boardies check in when you can (Florence)

Lady Florida.

I posted in the prepping thread about my parents, who are riding it out on the coast. The tide/storm surge they've had is already receding; my dad thinks it won't get any worse today, even with the prolonged rains. 

This is the view looking out their back door/covered carport -  about 10" -- and about 10" less than they got in Irene:

IMG_3696.thumb.JPG.f8ccad17c7b8096c2bd9792b7a8e988a.JPG

• Sad 5

20 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Allison, is there water in your parents’ house? I’ve never lived anywhere near the coast so I have no experience. I hope there isn’t ten inches of water in their house! Glad to hear they are safe. 

No, they've never had water in the house. The last big flood touched their under-house insulation but that was the highest ever. They are on a bit of a rise (my grandma's house, just next door has flooded in the past). 

• Like 4

My sister is in New Bern, which is getting lots of coverage on the news.  She is on higher ground and dry (not downtown) at the moment, but it is BAD there.  High tide is at noon today and it will be even worse.

ETA:  My boys and I were just there for a visit in August.  That old downtown area is so sweet.  So many shops and old homes, beautiful churches, etc.  It will not be good after this.

Edited by mlktwins
adding info
  • Like 1
  • Sad 4

We're far inland (Winston-Salem/Greensboro area) and are just starting to get some gusty winds. DS22 is here but trying to log into work. His company is in RTP. He's having lots of difficulty getting and staying logged in, and we're wondering what's causing that. Everything on our end is working fine. The NYT interactive map is showing power outages in the RDU area. And judging by that map I'd guess almost nobody along the coast has power.

(FYI--The NYT and WaPo are allowing unlimited access due to Florence.)

• Like 3

We're windy here (near Charlotte), but rain isn't expected to start until tomorrow. We've prepped for possible prolonged power outage from flooding. Our town declared a state of emergency today and will be limiting access to roads known to flood (including one of the two ways out of our immediate area). Our house is on high ground and should be fine and the other way out is not likely to flood, so we should be good.

We evacuated my daughter from UNC Wilmington (freshman) on Monday, and we're expecting she will likely be home through next week. We're hoping her dorm doesn't flood. We brought a lot of stuff home, but she's on the first floor. At least we did get the NSSI dorm insurance that includes flood coverage!

Edited by KarenNC

Like TechWife and Lavender's Green, we're in the area that has gone from the dead center of the cone to having it swerve to avoid us. Power and internet have flickered but are currently working. DH is able to work from home, and we're having school, hot meals, all the usual stuff except not setting foot outside our yard..

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Donna said:

We live in New Bern. We evacuated but neighbors who stayed sent pictures of our house which is still intact and dry.

Glad you are safe! I just saw a video on twitter about New Bern- someone’s car turned over and they had to be rescued. The story said there were more than 100 people in your city who needed rescue. 

• Like 1

Looks like we were very lucky and made it through with minimal issues in our area near Charlotte. We have kept power so far, but there's a lot of flooding in our area, including one of the two ways out of our immediate area.

It also looks like we will have our daughter home from UNC-Wilmington for a good bit longer. There are literally no passable roads into Wilmington at the moment (supplies are being air-lifted in), the mayor has said it may take two weeks to get power restored to the area, and the school has said they haven't been able to fully assess the damage yet. They are hoping to be able to tell us something by mid-week about plans for re-opening and the impacts it might have on the academic calendar, but I don't anticipate she'll be going back until at least next week. The county just announced today that they are setting up a shelter on the campus for area residents starting hopefully tomorrow to help consolidate some of the pre-storm shelters, which tells me at least part of the campus is still functional.

• Like 2

On 9/14/2018 at 7:07 AM, Annie G said:

Allison, is there water in your parents’ house? I’ve never lived anywhere near the coast so I have no experience. I hope there isn’t ten inches of water in their house! Glad to hear they are safe. 

I was going to ask the same. Hopefully, the house is a little higher. We have experienced some flooding near the coast years ago but nothing inside the house.

IMG_2783.thumb.JPG.1a93361a0d7208286623cd722fb4f1d7.JPG

This is the road leading to the school where I work!  We didn't have school Friday and we have no school tomorrow.  My guess is that we won't go to work for a while.  Several of the neighborhoods in the area have evacuated and are using our school as a shelter.

I am fine.  We had 4 very large trees fall in our yard and our yard is littered with branches and debris, but we didn't lose power and we live on a hill, so no flooding here, but we are on a 7pm-7am curfew.

Edited by DawnM
  • Sad 7

11 hours ago, KarenNC said:

It also looks like we will have our daughter home from UNC-Wilmington for a good bit longer...[snip]...They are hoping to be able to tell us something by mid-week about plans for re-opening and the impacts it might have on the academic calendar, but I don't anticipate she'll be going back until at least next week.

I was a sophomore at ECU in '99 when Floyd flooded downtown Greenville so bad. We were out of school for like 2 weeks. I will say that -- for us -- it didn't disrupt the semester too much. The school/staff was really accommodating to working things out for students. 

• Like 2

30 min. SE of Raleigh

It was no big deal here.  The power was out from 7pm Fri. to 2pm Sat. We still had running water, the roads were clear, and we only had standing puddles here and there. One tree is down in the woods behind our house.  Two branches broke off of our maple trees and landed in the yard.

• Like 1