Menu

11 year old girl tasered in Ohio - JAWM

goldberry

This is a JAWM, because if anyone actually believes this girl deserved to be tasered because she was running away, you can share your opinion elsewhere.  I will make something very clear:  I appreciate our law enforcement and respect what they do.  The majority are people of integrity, and I am grateful they are on the job.  But because I believe that does not mean that I won't acknowledge that there are problems out there that need to be addressed.  This is heartbreaking.  I guess she's lucky it was just a taser.  ?

https://abc7chicago.com/police-officer-violated-policy-when-he-used-taser-on-child/4156871/

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Use of force proportionate to the situation is an ongoing issue.  I thought in most situations police use force against a fleeing suspect (an adult presumably) if they have reason to believe the suspect will cause harm upon escaping.  (I'm sure I'm not using the right words there, but the gist.) 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CES2005 said:

Quote I won't quote, but holy moly why did he say that??  ?

He said that because that is what he really feels. I doubt he would say he thinks that was racist.  He would likely say he was just "telling it like it is".  I doubt he would think or understand that his way of thinking might have affected his choice to taze an 11 year old girl. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, kiwik said:

I find it astonishing that it is legal for anyone over 7.  I can not imagine any circumstances where tasering a 7 year old would be reasonable.  At a stretch maybe 14 if the were about to attack you with a machete.

Well, a gun would dramatically alter things if a child was actually shooting people but that would be a very obvious threat. Not the same as this circumstance what so ever.

Edited by frogger
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Arctic Mama said:

Okay, it was legal.  It’s still incredibly f-d up.  Unbelievable.

I’m not sure what you’re referring to as far as “legal.” Yes, the law/policy allows the use of a taser on those under the age of seven, but that does not mean he was justified in what he did. Unjustifiable use of force by a police officer is illegal. In what way was an eleven year old shoplifter that was running away from the officer pose a threat to him or anyone else? 

Additionally, “legal” and “correct,” “proper,” or “right” are not synonymous. Slavery was legal, it was never the correct, right, or proper thing to do. 

• Like 6

I think AM was saying is that the "but it was legal" argument is not a decent justification.  That's how I heard it anyway.  I agree with you Tech, that the legality is still subject to circumstances, so hopefully the officer will receive some kind of punishment for his actions.  Even it it is legal under some circumstances (WTH anyway?) does not mean it was legal under THESE circumstances.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goldberry said:

I think AM was saying is that the "but it was legal" argument is not a decent justification.  That's how I heard it anyway.  I agree with you Tech, that the legality is still subject to circumstances, so hopefully the officer will receive some kind of punishment for his actions.  Even it it is legal under some circumstances (WTH anyway?) does not mean it was legal under THESE circumstances.

1 hour ago, Arctic Mama said:

Yes, especially given that shoplifting children are usually doing so because of hunger or a lack of essentials, not a joy ride.  It’s Kroger, not Abercrombie. She could have used a Big Sister, some community service, and probably cps followup.

I agree with him that she shouldn’t have run, but he could have chased and grabbed her, not electrocuted her.

Thank you for clarifying - I appreciate it!

3 hours ago, goldberry said:

I doubt he would think or understand that his way of thinking might have affected his choice to taze an 11 year old girl. 

Or the way saying that would affect an 11 year old girl! You see "sweetheart" people like you are bad so you don't get grocery stores.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danae said:

Both of those quotes are gross.

Calling her "sweetheart" and then blaming her for his hurt heart because she made him hurt her is manipulative, abusive . . . there aren't enough yucky adjectives to describe how sickening that statement is.

Seriously. This guy talks like an abuser.

• Like 5

I couldn't get it to let me type underneath the quote but I did think of that but I suspect if a kid was shooting people the police might shoot back as a taser I think can cause seizure actions which may make the hand keep shooting.  But shooting people would be justifiable if they had done everything else possible first and PEOPLE were still in significant danger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiwik said:

I couldn't get it to let me type underneath the quote but I did think of that but I suspect if a kid was shooting people the police might shoot back as a taser I think can cause seizure actions which may make the hand keep shooting.  But shooting people would be justifiable if they had done everything else possible first and PEOPLE were still in significant danger.

Yes, that was more along the line of responding to ANY circumstances quote. It doesn't apply here though so I don't want to detract from the thread. My 11 and 13 year olds are both more dangerous than me in hand to hand combat and could seriously damage someone. A cornered person or mentally unstable person even when small can do serious damage even biting, crushing testicles etc. 

There was ZERO reason for it here. It seems officers ought to be held to higher standards than civilians but they often get away with more which makes me sick. I hope he doesn't in this case.

Edited by frogger
Missed words
  • Like 1