Menu

FB oddity - have you ever noticed...

PrincessMommy

that the people who call you "cuz" on FB are your least favorite cousin and the one you're barely closest to?  

I imagine there's other little things like that..but this one stands out to me because two family members on opposite sides of the family use this "endearment" when I happen to know that neither person is close to that "cuz".  

Does anyone else have that happening in their family that or is it just me and my weird family. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I am the youngest granddaughter on both sides so I get the nickname of younger sister. Even my maternal aunts used that nickname. None of my cousins would use “cuz” though because they are unlikely to use endearments of any kind. 

My husband’s brother and his wife used it though as well as some of my husband’s cousins. My husband’s relatives are more polite and more formal than mine when talking or writing. 

• Like 1

Ha, yes! I see this a bunch, and it cracks me up. The ones who do it in my family seem to be the ones that like to let everyone know *their* relationship to that person is special, because they are a relative, not just a friend or something. At least, that's how it comes across to me....I just giggle (&/or roll my eyes....) and go on about my business. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, happi duck said:

In my family cuz=❤❤❤

I wondered if perhaps that was the case for some families - that it's the normal way you guys relate to each other.   I've personally only seen it the way I described it though (within my own family - I haven't even noticed it with my other FB friends).  

I kind of suspect it is the way J-Rap has said... it's kind of like subconscience wishful thinking on their part.  It's just odd, because I think you know when you're actually close to a relative or whether they're a bit more removed from you (like wide age gaps and/or distance).    Oh, and it's men... maybe it has something to do with the way men think about such things.   I dunno.  I usually just roll my eyes and move on too.

I have a male cousin who calls me "cuz" on FB. I think it's because he is familiar with me, so he uses the word to indicate to those who do not know that he is (just) my cousin.

Likewise, I have another male cousin over whom I often gush on FB. When I start putting ❤️ ❤️ in my comments, I will also usually add, "You've always been my favorite cousin," for the same reason. I just am not the person who uses the word "cuz." lol

• Like 1