Menu

Need Help Planning--loss of family member

I rarely post questions, but I find myself in need of more help this year than usual.  My oldest son passed away unexpectedly in June.  He was 20.  We have home schooled all our boys since the beginning.  The oldest two graduated from high school so I just have my youngest, an 8th grader, yet in school.  

I had started planning a bit at the end of last school year, but didn't have anything finalized.  We will begin 8th grade next week.  I have put together our resources and I am just needing a bit of a second or third opinion.  Here is what I have put together so far--

Language Arts: Literary Lessons From Lord of the Rings, Easy Grammar Ultimate 8th, Phonetic Zoo spelling (continue level B from last year--we were 1/2 way), Essentials In Writing (just bought yesterday because I was going to do more of my own with his History and Lord of the Rings, but now know that I need more open and go now) Reading--books that we choose together for him to read.  Also, Typing Instructor

Math: Prentice Hall Algebra I with Math Without Borders home study

Science: Apologia Exploring Physical Creation

Foreign Language: Rosetta Stone Spanish with Easy Spanish Work book  ( we have been doing Second Form Latin, but again it just involves too much effort from me)

History: He is a Science and Math guy so this is his least favorite subject--gasp   My other two loved history :)  I have put together a list of 25 events that shaped World History.  Actually, I didn't make the list, but found it.  It has some great subjects and we are going to spend a week on some and two on those he finds more interesting.  I plan to use library books, videos, and note booking for this.

Art: I have found some fun videos about how to draw characters from Lord of the Rings.  We will also do some art with History.

Music: Guitar lessons from older brother

PE:  He loves soccer and plays year around  He also just naturally likes to stay active so this is not hard.  

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Paula

• Sad 1

This looks like a lot of pieces to juggle. The first year after our daughter died, I really needed open and go materials as the weight of grief really messes with you even when you feel like you are doing ok.

It appears that your son may need some help with spelling. Can I encourage you to have him type and focus on using spell check instead? Some will never be natural spellers, and as an 8th grader, it’s time to consider embracing technology to support weak areas. I would drop spelling and just work on fixing errors in his written work.

Give some thought as to what your backup plan for history might be if you can’t put something together from scratch. One book that he could just read from may be a better fit this year.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This looks like a lot of pieces to juggle. The first year after our daughter died, I really needed open and go materials as the weight of grief really messes with you even when you feel like you are doing ok.

It appears that your son may need some help with spelling. Can I encourage you to have him type and focus on using spell check instead? Some will never be natural spellers, and as an 8th grader, it’s time to consider embracing technology to support weak areas. I would drop spelling and just work on fixing errors in his written work.

Give some thought as to what your backup plan for history might be if you can’t put something together from scratch. One book that he could just read from may be a better fit this year.

I was thinking the same thing as I was typing this all out--thank you for your input.  Good idea about a back up history.  His spelling isn't really an issue, we just started that program after finishing another.  He actually likes it. However, in the grand scheme of things it may make sense to have one less thing.  

If I have to let some things go, I was thinking I would do the Lord of the Rings Literary Lessons as more of a discussion.  I feel like my main focus should be Algebra, the writing program, science, and keeping him reading.  Does that sound right? I don't want to short change him, but I also want to be realistic for us both.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momto3boyz said:

I feel like my main focus should be Algebra, the writing program, science, and keeping him reading.  Does that sound right? I

I am so terribly sorry for your loss.  That is awful.  Hugs to all of you.

With respect to your plan, I also have an 8th grade son and this seems like exactly the right approach to me.  

Oh, momto3boyz -- SO very sad for your loss. (((hugs))) to you and your family. (And to you, prairiewindmomma, on the loss of your DD.) 

...I feel like my main focus should be Algebra, the writing program, science, and keeping him reading.  Does that sound right? I don't want to short change him, but I also want to be realistic for us both.  

Yes, this was my thought, too, and I think it is a very realistic minimal plan that will allow your 8th grader times to deal with the weight of his grief, too. Being flexible will be your friend this year -- so on the harder days, just working on Math and Writing, plus whatever subject/activity that brings joy. And give yourself permission that it is okay if you do not complete all of your subjects this year. Even the Math and Science and Writing, if you don't get all the way done. Truly, it will be okay, however much you get through this year.

Actually, I think your approach to History would be a quite interesting, and I think it will be easy to do as much or little or none at all, depending on how you guys are coping, and could be a gentle relief from a textbook or formal approach, esp. if using a lot of documentaries and feature films set in that time/about that event, and videos and movies are easy to watch/discuss.

I'd just recommend that if you possibly can, spend a day or two now doing your research and making a list of the specific 1-3 items you want to use to cover each of the 25 events, and then as you move into each new week you can gauge how or little to use with how you are both feeling. (In fact, if you would like help in coming up with a list of engaging resources for your 25 events, I love helping people plan, and would be delighted to help you come up with a list!)

If you need a "plan B" for History, what about  Crash Course World History videos? There are 42 videos, and each is short -- between 10-15 min. long.

I would actually suggest that the Spanish might be the thing to put at the top of the list for potential drop at this point. Yes, Rosetta Stone is mostly solo-working, but it would be perfectly fine to wait a year to start a new language. Grammar and Spelling are both solo programs, so they can happen, or not, throughout the year as it works out to do them. I think your Art, Music, and PE will be welcome outlets and not be draining to do, so I would keep those.

4 hours ago, momto3boyz said:

...I was thinking I would do the Lord of the Rings Literary Lessons as more of a discussion...

Yes, that's how we used it. We skipped the fill-in-the-blank "what happened in the chapter" page and vocabulary, and read the chapter notes, discussed the questions at the end of the chapter notes, and enjoyed the 12 units of material. If you want some additional discussion questions here and there, check out the free online teacher guide from Houghton-Mifflin. The questions are usually about 2-4 chapters at a time. You also might find a question that DS would enjoy writing about as an occasional break from the EiW program.

Wishing you strength and peace, and all the BEST this year. Warmest regards, Lori D. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Actually, I think your approach to History would be a quite interesting, and I think it will be easy to do as much or little or none at all, depending on how you guys are coping, and could be a gentle relief from a textbook or formal approach, esp. if using a lot of documentaries and feature films set in that time/about that event, and videos and movies are easy to watch/discuss.

I'd just recommend that if you possibly can, spend a day or two now doing your research and making a list of the specific 1-3 items you want to use to cover each of the 25 events, and then as you move into each new week you can gauge how or little to use with how you are both feeling. (In fact, if you would like help in coming up with a list of engaging resources for your 25 events, I love helping people plan, and would be delighted to help you come up with a list!)

Thanks you so much for the helpful and caring advice. I was thinking along the same lines as you mentioned. His eyes gloss over at History text books.  I found a list on-line about  25  important events in world history.  Obviously this is someone's opinion, but it seemed like a manageable list of things to study this year. I have found resources for about the first seven. It actually looks like it could be a fun way to do History this year. 

Here's the list for anyone interested:

1. 1.  Greco-Persian Wars
  2. Alexander the Great
  3. Pax Romana
  4. The life of Jesus Christ
  5. The life of Muhammad
  6. Genghis Khan's Mongol Empire
  7. The Black Death
  8. The Fall of Constantinople
  9. The Renaissance
  10. The Gutenberg Press
  11. The Protestant Reformation
  12. European Colonialism
  13. The American Revolution
  14. The French Revolution
  15. The American Civil War
  16. The Industrial Revolution
  17. The Medical Revolution
  18. The Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand II
  19. The October Revolution
  20. The Great Depression
  21. WWII
  22. Cold War
  23. Sputnik
  24. JFK Assassination
  25. The Digital Revolution

On 8/29/2018 at 1:29 PM, momto3boyz said:

...His eyes gloss over at History text books.  I found a list on-line about  25  important events in world history... but it seemed like a manageable list... I have found resources for about the first seven... Here's the list for anyone interested:

1. Greco-Persian Wars
  2. Alexander the Great
  3. Pax Romana
  4. The life of Jesus Christ
  5. The life of Muhammad
  6. Genghis Khan's Mongol Empire
  7. The Black Death
  8. The Fall of Constantinople
  9. The Renaissance
  10. The Gutenberg Press
  11. The Protestant Reformation
  12. European Colonialism
  13. The American Revolution
  14. The French Revolution
  15. The American Civil War
  16. The Industrial Revolution
  17. The Medical Revolution
  18. The Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand II
  19. The October Revolution
  20. The Great Depression
  21. WWII
  22. Cold War
  23. Sputnik
  24. JFK Assassination
  25. The Digital Revolution

A few quick thoughts:

Study.com, a for-pay educational site, actually has a lot of very nice videos and online articles on many of your specific topics. You might check it out to see if it would be a good fit for your history goals and meet your need for a simple open-and-go resource. Here are the middle school and high school History courses available.

- Some of the key events are such broad topics that your DS might like to pick one aspect and dig into that on his own, and create a power point and oral presentation to share his solo research findings. Maybe do that with his choice of 2-4 of the 25 key events...?

- Also, because some of the topics are so broad and have so many "sub topics" and bunny trails to them, sometimes it is nice to use something like the Eyewitness books or the Kids Discover magazine, which has lots of photos/illustrations and "snippets" of info that touch on a LOT of those sub topics, so you can see just how wide-reaching that key event really is. And, since time (and student interest) is limited, that allows the student to sometimes pick just one aspect of interest to pursue in more depth, while still having a feel for the overall scope of the key event.

- I tried to provide a variety of ways to learn about each topic (documentaries, feature films, online articles, magazines, nonfiction and historical fiction books).

- I included a few late elementary/young middle school resources, as they can be quick and informative ways to get a fast overview of a topic. However, skip those if your student would feel they are too babyish.

Hope something here is of help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

1. Greco-Persian Wars
- video (11:40 min.) Crash Course: The Persians & The Greeks
- video (9:30 min) Khan Academy: Greco-Persian Wars
- documentary (48 min) Top Documentary: Storm Over Persia
- magazine: Kids Discover: Ancient Persia; free teacher guide/lesson plan
- magazine: Kids Discover: Ancient Greece; free teacher guide/lesson plan
[12 hours (24 30-min.) of lectures, Teaching Company: The Great Courses: Greek & Persian Wars]

2. Alexander the Great
- video (11:00 min.) Crash Course: Alexander the Great
- documentary (2 hours) PBS Home Video: In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great, hosted by Michael Wood
- book, nonfiction: Alexander the Great (Gunther) -- gr. 7-9
- book, nonfiction: Alexander the Great (Demi) -- gr. 3-5
- online article: Kids Discover: "Ancient Empires" -- covers overview of Egypt, Persia, Alexander the Great, Chin & Han dynasties of China, Julius Caesar/Rome, the Maya

3. Pax Romana (Roman domination of much of the Western European world, which still affects us today)
(lots of materials readily available from which to pick and choose)
- video (12:30 min) Crash Course: Roman Empire, or Republic: Which was it?
- magazine: Kids Discover: Roman Empire; free teacher guide/lesson plan
- online article: Ancient History Encyclopedia: Pax Romana

4. Life of Jesus (foundation of Christianity, a faith that has had profound world-wide affects)
- book: Bible: gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
- magazine: Kids Discover: Christianity and the Legacy of Rome
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: Christianity from Judaism to Constantine
- article: Wikipedia: "Role of Christianity in Civilization"

5 Life of Muhammad (founder of Islam, a faith that has had profound world-wide affects)
- video (12:50) Crash Course: Islam, the Quran, and the Five Pillars
- documentary (90 min) BBC: An Islamic History of Europe
- documentary (60 min) Top Documentary: What the Ancients Did for US: the Islamic World
- online article: Wikipedia: "Early Social Changes Under Islam"
- book, nonfiction: Muhammad (Demi) -- gr. 3-6

6. Ghengis Khan's Moghul Empire
- video (4:40 min): Khan Academy: Genghis Khan and Mongol Empire
- video (8:40 min): Genghis Khan Explained in 8 minutes
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: The Mongols
- book: Who Was Genghis Khan (Medina) -- gr. 3-7 level, but sometimes children's books are perfect even for middle school

7. Black Death
- video (6:30 min): The Black Death in 6.5 Minutes
- video (1:50 min): BBC: Impact of the Black Death
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: Disease -- Black Death, one of various diseases discussed and how they changed history
- online article: Consequences of the Black Death
- online article: Live Science: How the Black Death Changed the World
- book, historical fiction: A Parcel of Patterns (Walsh) -- 1665 outbreak, rather than Middle Ages, but good for understanding the dynamics of a pandemic and pre-medical help
- online resource: Ducksters: The Black Death -- gr. 4-6 level

8. Fall of Constantinople
- documentary (52 min): The Decline of the Byzantine Empire
- documentary (2 hr. 18 min): Fall of Constantinople 1453 - The Ottoman Wars
- online article: The Fall of Constantinople Had Profound Consequences
- online article: Ancient History Encyclopedia: 1453: The Fall of Constantinople
- online article: Odyssey: Rise of the Western World (due to the fall of Constantinople)
- book, historical fiction: The Emperor's Winding Sheet (Walsh)
- book, nonfiction: The Fall of Constantinople (Pivotal Moments in History) (Feldman)

9. Renaissance
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: Renaissance: Was it a Thing?
- documentary (49:30 min): Just The Facts: The Renaissance
- book: Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines (Prum) -- OOP, but can find used for about $10 + shipping
(the "Rats" of the title refers to the Plague, so sections of this book could also be used above)
- magazine: Kids Discover: Renaissance & Reformation
- online resource: Kids Discover unit: Renaissance
- online article: Classroom: How Did the Renaissance Change European Culture and Society?

10. Gutenberg Press
- video (6:45 min): Crandall Historical Printing Museum: How a Gutenberg Printing Press Works
- video (1:20 min): The Gutenberg Press: Invention That Changed the World
- video (13:40 min): Johannes Gutenberg and the Printing Press
- video (5:10 min): Events That Changed the World: The Printing Press
- online resource (requires registering): Kids Discover unit subtopic: Gutenberg and the Printing Press
- book, nonfiction: Johannes Gutenberg and the Printing Press (Pivotal Moments in History) (Childress) -- gr. 7-9
- book, nonfiction: From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World (Rumford) -- gr. 5-8
- book, fiction: Ink on His Fingers (Vernon) -- gr. 4-6

11. Protestant Reformation
- video (15 min): Crash Course: Luther and The Protestant Reformation
- videos: Khan Academy: Protestant Reformation (scroll down the list to get to this topic)
- documentary (55:30): Rick Steves: Luther and the Reformation
- documentary (34 min): Protestant Reformation Documentary
- book, historical fiction: Thunderstorm in the Church (Vernon) -- gr. 4-6; son of Martin Luther

12. European Colonialism [Imperialism] 
- video (13:45 min): Crash Course: Imperialism
- videos: Khan Academy: Industrialization and Imperialism  (scroll down the list to get to this topic)

13. American Revolution
- videos: Khan Academy: American Revolution
- magazine: Kids Discover: American Revolution

14. French Revolution
- videos: Khan Academy: French Revolution   (scroll down the list to get to this topic)
- feature film: The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934 or 1982 version)
- feature film: Tale of Two Cities (1935 or 1958 or 1980 or 1989 version)

15. American Civil War
- videos: Khan Academy: American Civil War
- magazine: Kids Discover: Civil War
- book, nonfiction: Civil War for Kids with 21 Activities (Herbert)
- book, historical fiction: Bull Run (Fleischman) -- gr. 5-8; short fast read, but from 16 perspectives, and how they change from before/after the first major battle of the Civil War
- feature film: Gone with the Wind (1938) -- shows the War and after effects of Reconstruction

16. Industrial Revolution
- video (11 min) Crash Course: Coal, Steam, and the Industrial Revolution
- videos: Khan Academy: Industrialization and Imperialism  (scroll down the list to get to this topic)
- website: Modern World History text online; chapter on The Industrial Revolution
- magazine: Kids Discover: Industrial Revolution
- feature film: Oliver Twist (1948) or musical Oliver! (1968)

17. Medical Revolution
- book: Exploring the History of Medicine (Tiner)
- magazine: Kids Discover: Medicine
- video (22:00 min): Medicine in the Industrial Revolution
- timeline: Info Please: Medical Advances Timeline -- note the big increase of discoveries starting in the 1800s (could pick some key discoveries to research and discuss how these advancements changed the world)

18. Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand II (which triggered WWI, which ultimately resulted in WWII)
- video (11:45 min): Crash Course: Archdukes, Cynicism, and World War 1
- book, memoir: Stories of World War 1 (Bradman) -- could read selections of choice
- book, nonfiction: Eyewitness: World War I (Adams)
- book, nonfiction: World War I for Kids with 21 Activities (Rasmussen)
- book, historical fiction: War Horse (Morpurgo)
- 2014 TV mini series (3 episodes): 37 Days (from Archduke Ferdinand's assassination to declaring war)
- feature film: War Horse
- feature film: All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
- feature film: Paths of Glory (1957)
- feature film: Sergeant York (1941)

19. The October Revolution (Russia's change to communism & 70 years of policies that had international effects)
- video (13:40 min): The Russian Revolution 1917 -- events from 1884 leading up to it + Russian Civil War
- video (8:40 min): 20th Century Almanac: The Russian October Revolution
- online article: Upfront: How the Russian Revolution Changed the World
- book: The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia (Fleming)
- documentary (47 min): The Russian Revolution (2017) -- on Netflix
- book, historical fiction: Angel on the Square (Whelan)
- book, classic: Animal Farm (Orwell) -- fable-sized version of events from the Russian Revolution in to the 1930s
- feature film: Fiddler on the Roof (1971) -- focus on Jewish/peasant life in Russia at the time of the revolution; one daughter falls in love with a revolutionary

20. The Great Depression
- magazine: Kids Discover: Great Depression
- book, nonfiction: Children of the Great Depression (Freedman)
- book, nonfiction: The Great Depression for Kids with 21 Activities (Mullenbach) -- gr. 4-6
- book, historical fiction: Bud Not Buddy (Curtis); A Year Down Yonder (Peck); Out of the Dust (Hesse); Jim the Boy (Early), or other title

21. World War II
- magazine: Kids Discover: World War II
- online article: Wikipedia: Aftermath of World War II
- book, memoir: Remember WWII: Kids Who Survived Tell Their Stories (Nicholson)
- book, nonfiction: World War II Visual Encyclopedia (DK) or Eyewitness: World War I (Adams)
- book, nonfiction: World War II for Kids with 21 Activities (Panchyk)
- book, biography: The Hiding Place (tenBoom)
- book, real people/events written as historical fiction rather than as memoir: Winged Watchman (van Stockum); Escape from Warsaw (Serraillier); Maus (Spiegelman)
- book, historical fiction: When My Name was Keoko (Park)

22. Cold War
- video (12:15): Crash Course: USA vs USSR Fight! The Cold War
- video: Media Rich Learning: From World War to Cold War part 1 (9 min), and part 2 (13 min)
- documentary TV series (24 episodes, each 45 min.): Cold War -- perhaps watch one per day at lunch, or watch selected episodes (perhaps the first 10, and then selected?) -- there is one episode on Sputnik
- book: The Cold War: The 20th Century (Primary Source Readers) (Teacher Created Materials) -- gr. 5-8 level
- book, memoir: The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain (Sis)
- book, historical fiction
- feature film: The Manchurian candidate (1962)
- feature film: Thirteen Days (2000)
- feature film: The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming (1966) -- humorous
- feature film: The Mouse That Roared (1959) -- humorous 
- webpage: American Historama: The Cold War: US History for Kids -- "FAQ" that lists key people, terms, events; also lists feature films set during the Cold War

23. Sputnik
- documentary (13:30 min): Sputnik The First Satellite
- documentary (52:45 min): NOVA episode: Sputnik Declassified
- video (8:30 min): Legends in Space: 60 Years Since Sputnik
- video (5:40 min): Sputnik's Legacy 50 Years Later
- web article: PBS NOVA: "Sputnik's Impact on America"
- book: Sputnik/Explorer 1: The Race to Conquer Space (Crompton)
- magazine: Kids Discover: Space Race

24. JFK Assassination
- short web article: CNN: How Did Kennedy's Assassination Change the World?
- documentary: PBS American Experience episode: Who is JFK -- part 1
- book, nonfiction: John F. Kennedy, Voice of Hope (Hodge) -- gr. 4-6 level, but gives you a sense of the policies, idealism, and youth culture cut short by his death (kicked off space race, nat'l Civil Rights policies, Cold War stand, etc.)
- video (15:00 min): Crash Course: The 1960s in America -- briefly touches on JFK, but mostly about Civil Rights, Feminism, Vietnam/anti-war protests

25. Digital Revolution
- timeline/infographic
- shortish article: Huffington Post (or possibly the Wikipedia article)
- documentary (2 hours, in 10-min segments): BBC series: Virtual Revolution
- video (11 min): Agricultural, Industrial, and Digital Revolutions and the Information Age

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I think you plans for next year sound good.  Just because I found it adding a free program from Stanford called Reading Like a Historian occasionally for history that I enjoyed to the growing list.  https://sheg.stanford.edu/list-reading-historian-lessons several of your topics appear here also.

• Like 2

I am so sorry for your loss. This past May was the one year date for when we lost our oldest and only boy. It was very unexpected. And we had homeschooled all of them so all 4 were very close. It was so hard. At the time my youngest had just finished her junior year. Let your son lead as to what he can handle each day. Let him grieve his way. I found my daughter would immerse herself in school work some days and do more than I thought was needed for that day. And on others would just do her art and voice, which brought her comfort. She was enrolled in a dual credit class so that was the only thing that was actually required to do for a deadline. In a year things will be much more manageable, I promise.

• Sad 1

On 8/30/2018 at 3:52 PM, Lori D. said:

A few quick thoughts:

Study.com, a for-pay educational site, actually has a lot of very nice videos and online articles on many of your specific topics. You might check it out to see if it would be a good fit for your history goals and meet your need for a simple open-and-go resource. Here are the middle school and high school History courses available.

- Some of the key events are such broad topics that your DS might like to pick one aspect and dig into that on his own, and create a power point and oral presentation to share his solo research findings. Maybe do that with his choice of 2-4 of the 25 key events...?

- Also, because some of the topics are so broad and have so many "sub topics" and bunny trails to them, sometimes it is nice to use something like the Eyewitness books or the Kids Discover magazine, which has lots of photos/illustrations and "snippets" of info that touch on a LOT of those sub topics, so you can see just how wide-reaching that key event really is. And, since time (and student interest) is limited, that allows the student to sometimes pick just one aspect of interest to pursue in more depth, while still having a feel for the overall scope of the key event.

- I tried to provide a variety of ways to learn about each topic (documentaries, feature films, online articles, magazines, nonfiction and historical fiction books).

- I included a few late elementary/young middle school resources, as they can be quick and informative ways to get a fast overview of a topic. However, skip those if your student would feel they are too babyish.

Hope something here is of help! Warmest regards, Lori D.

1. Greco-Persian Wars
- video (11:40 min.) Crash Course: The Persians & The Greeks
- video (9:30 min) Khan Academy: Greco-Persian Wars
- documentary (48 min) Top Documentary: Storm Over Persia
- magazine: Kids Discover: Ancient Persia; free teacher guide/lesson plan
- magazine: Kids Discover: Ancient Greece; free teacher guide/lesson plan
[12 hours (24 30-min.) of lectures, Teaching Company: The Great Courses: Greek & Persian Wars]

2. Alexander the Great
- video (11:00 min.) Crash Course: Alexander the Great
- documentary (2 hours) PBS Home Video: In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great, hosted by Michael Wood
- book, nonfiction: Alexander the Great (Gunther) -- gr. 7-9
- book, nonfiction: Alexander the Great (Demi) -- gr. 3-5
- online article: Kids Discover: "Ancient Empires" -- covers overview of Egypt, Persia, Alexander the Great, Chin & Han dynasties of China, Julius Caesar/Rome, the Maya

3. Pax Romana (Roman domination of much of the Western European world, which still affects us today)
- video (12:30 min) Crash Course: Roman Empire, or Republic: Which was it?
- magazine: Kids Discover: Roman Empire; free teacher guide/lesson plan
- online article: Ancient History Encyclopedia: Pax Romana

4. Life of Jesus (foundation of Christianity, a faith that has had profound world-wide affects)
- book: Bible: gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, John
- magazine: Kids Discover: Christianity and the Legacy of Rome
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: Christianity from Judaism to Constantine
- article: Wikipedia: "Role of Christianity in Civilization"

5 Life of Muhammad (founder of Islam, a faith that has had profound world-wide affects)
- video (12:50) Crash Course: Islam, the Quran, and the Five Pillars
- documentary (90 min) BBC: An Islamic History of Europe
- documentary (60 min) Top Documentary: What the Ancients Did for US: the Islamic World
- online article: Wikipedia: "Early Social Changes Under Islam"
- book, nonfiction: Muhammad (Demi) -- gr. 3-6

6. Ghengis Khan's Moghul Empire
- video (4:40 min): Khan Academy: Genghis Khan and Mongol Empire
- video (8:40 min): Genghis Khan Explained in 8 minutes
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: The Mongols
- book: Who Was Genghis Khan (Medina) -- gr. 3-7 level, but sometimes children's books are perfect even for middle school

7. Black Death
- video (6:30 min): The Black Death in 6.5 Minutes
- video (1:50 min): BBC: Impact of the Black Death
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: Disease -- Black Death, one of various diseases discussed and how they changed history
- online article: Consequences of the Black Death
- online article: Live Science: How the Black Death Changed the World
- book, historical fiction: A Parcel of Patterns (Walsh) -- 1665 outbreak, rather than Middle Ages, but good for understanding the dynamics of a pandemic and pre-medical help
- online resource: Ducksters: The Black Death -- gr. 4-6 level

8. Fall of Constantinople
- documentary (52 min): The Decline of the Byzantine Empire
- documentary (2 hr. 18 min): Fall of Constantinople 1453 - The Ottoman Wars
- online article: The Fall of Constantinople Had Profound Consequences
- online article: Ancient History Encyclopedia: 1453: The Fall of Constantinople
- online article: Odyssey: Rise of the Western World (due to the fall of Constantinople)
- book, historical fiction: The Emperor's Winding Sheet (Walsh)
- book, nonfiction: The Fall of Constantinople (Pivotal Moments in History) (Feldman)

9. Renaissance
- video (11:30 min): Crash Course: Renaissance: Was it a Thing?
- documentary (49:30 min): Just The Facts: The Renaissance
- book: Rats, Bulls, and Flying Machines (Prum) -- OOP, but can find used for about $10 + shipping
(the "Rats" of the title refers to the Plague, so sections of this book could also be used above)
- magazine: Kids Discover: Renaissance & Reformation
- online resource: Kids Discover unit: Renaissance
- online article: Classroom: How Did the Renaissance Change European Culture and Society?

10. Gutenberg Press
- video (6:45 min): Crandall Historical Printing Museum: How a Gutenberg Printing Press Works
- video (1:20 min): The Gutenberg Press: Invention That Changed the World
- video (13:40 min): Johannes Gutenberg and the Printing Press
- video (5:10 min): Events That Changed the World: The Printing Press
- online resource (requires registering): Kids Discover unit subtopic: Gutenberg and the Printing Press
- book, nonfiction: Johannes Gutenberg and the Printing Press (Pivotal Moments in History) (Childress) -- gr. 7-9
- book, nonfiction: From the Good Mountain: How Gutenberg Changed the World (Rumford) -- gr. 5-8
- book, fiction: Ink on His Fingers (Vernon) -- gr. 4-6

11. Protestant Reformation
- video (15 min): Crash Course: Luther and The Protestant Reformation
- videos: Khan Academy: Protestant Reformation (scroll down the list to get to this topic)
- documentary (55:30): Rick Steves: Luther and the Reformation
- documentary (34 min): Protestant Reformation Documentary
- book, historical fiction: Thunderstorm in the Church (Vernon) -- gr. 4-6; son of Martin Luther

12. European Colonialism [Imperialism] 
- video (13:45 min): Crash Course: Imperialism

13. American Revolution
- videos: Khan Academy: American Revolution
- magazine: Kids Discover: American Revolution

14. French Revolution
- videos: Khan Academy: French Revolution   (scroll down the list to get to this topic)
- feature film: The Scarlet Pimpernel (1934 or 1982 version)
- feature film: Tale of Two Cities (1935 or 1958 or 1980 or 1989 version)

15. American Civil War
- videos: Khan Academy: American Civil War
- magazine: Kids Discover: Civil War
- book, nonfiction: Civil War for Kids with 21 Activities (Herbert)
- book, historical fiction: Bull Run (Fleischman) -- gr. 5-8; short fast read, but from 16 perspectives, and how they change from before/after the first major battle of the Civil War
- feature film: Gone with the Wind (1938) -- shows the War and after effects of Reconstruction

16. Industrial Revolution
- video (11 min) Crash Course: Coal, Steam, and the Industrial Revolution
- website: Modern World History text online; chapter on The Industrial Revolution
- magazine: Kids Discover: Industrial Revolution
- feature film: Oliver Twist (1948) or musical Oliver! (1968)

17. Medical Revolution
- book: Exploring the History of Medicine (Tiner)
- magazine: Kids Discover: Medicine
- video (22:00 min): Medicine in the Industrial Revolution
- timeline: Info Please: Medical Advances Timeline -- note the big increase of discoveries starting in the 1800s (could pick some key discoveries to research and discuss how these advancements changed the world)

18. Assassination of Archduke Ferdinand II (which triggered WWI, which ultimately resulted in WWII)
- video (11:45 min): Crash Course: Archdukes, Cynicism, and World War 1
- book, memoir: Stories of World War 1 (Bradman) -- could read selections of choice
- book, nonfiction: Eyewitness: World War I (Adams)
- book, nonfiction: World War I for Kids with 21 Activities (Rasmussen)
- book, historical fiction: War Horse (Morpurgo)
- 2014 TV mini series (3 episodes): 37 Days (from Archduke Ferdinand's assassination to declaring war)
- feature film: War Horse
- feature film: All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
- feature film: Paths of Glory (1957)
- feature film: Sergeant York (1941)

19. The October Revolution (Russia's change to communism & 70 years of policies that had international effects)
- video (13:40 min): The Russian Revolution 1917 -- events from 1884 leading up to it + Russian Civil War
- video (8:40 min): 20th Century Almanac: The Russian October Revolution
- online article: Upfront: How the Russian Revolution Changed the World
- book: The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia (Fleming)
- documentary (47 min): The Russian Revolution (2017) -- on Netflix
- book, historical fiction: Angel on the Square (Whelan)
- book, classic: Animal Farm (Orwell) -- fable-sized version of events from the Russian Revolution in to the 1930s
- feature film: Fiddler on the Roof (1971) -- focus on Jewish/peasant life in Russia at the time of the revolution; one daughter falls in love with a revolutionary

20. The Great Depression
- magazine: Kids Discover: Great Depression
- book, nonfiction: Children of the Great Depression (Freedman)
- book, nonfiction: The Great Depression for Kids with 21 Activities (Mullenbach) -- gr. 4-6
- book, historical fiction: Bud Not Buddy (Curtis); A Year Down Yonder (Peck); Out of the Dust (Hesse); Jim the Boy (Early), or other title

21. World War II
- magazine: Kids Discover: World War II
- online article: Wikipedia: Aftermath of World War II
- book, memoir: Remember WWII: Kids Who Survived Tell Their Stories (Nicholson)
- book, nonfiction: World War II Visual Encyclopedia (DK) or Eyewitness: World War I (Adams)
- book, nonfiction: World War II for Kids with 21 Activities (Panchyk)
- book, biography: The Hiding Place (tenBoom)
- book, real people/events written as historical fiction rather than as memoir: Winged Watchman (van Stockum); Escape from Warsaw (Serraillier); Maus (Spiegelman)
- book, historical fiction: When My Name was Keoko (Park)

22. Cold War
- video (12:15): Crash Course: USA vs USSR Fight! The Cold War
- video: Media Rich Learning: From World War to Cold War part 1 (9 min), and part 2 (13 min)
- documentary TV series (24 episodes, each 45 min.): Cold War -- perhaps watch one per day at lunch, or watch selected episodes (perhaps the first 10, and then selected?) -- there is one episode on Sputnik
- book: The Cold War: The 20th Century (Primary Source Readers) (Teacher Created Materials) -- gr. 5-8 level
- book, memoir: The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain (Sis)
- book, historical fiction
- feature film: The Manchurian candidate (1962)
- feature film: Thirteen Days (2000)
- feature film: The Russians Are Coming The Russians Are Coming (1966) -- humorous
- feature film: The Mouse That Roared (1959) -- humorous 
- webpage: American Historama: The Cold War: US History for Kids -- "FAQ" that lists key people, terms, events; also lists feature films set during the Cold War

23. Sputnik
- documentary (13:30 min): Sputnik The First Satellite
- documentary (52:45 min): NOVA episode: Sputnik Declassified
- video (8:30 min): Legends in Space: 60 Years Since Sputnik
- video (5:40 min): Sputnik's Legacy 50 Years Later
- web article: PBS NOVA: "Sputnik's Impact on America"
- book: Sputnik/Explorer 1: The Race to Conquer Space (Crompton)
- magazine: Kids Discover: Space Race

24. JFK Assassination
- short web article: CNN: How Did Kennedy's Assassination Change the World?
- documentary: PBS American Experience episode: Who is JFK -- part 1
- book, nonfiction: John F. Kennedy, Voice of Hope (Hodge) -- gr. 4-6 level, but gives you a sense of the policies, idealism, and youth culture cut short by his death (kicked off space race, nat'l Civil Rights policies, Cold War stand, etc.)
- video (15:00 min): Crash Course: The 1960s in America -- briefly touches on JFK, but mostly about Civil Rights, Feminism, Vietnam/anti-war protests

25. Digital Revolution
- timeline/infographic
- shortish article: Huffington Post (or possibly the Wikipedia article)
- documentary (2 hours, in 10-min segments): BBC series: Virtual Revolution
- video (11 min): Agricultural, Industrial, and Digital Revolutions and the Information Age

I don't even know how to thank you for this.  I am overwhelmed by your kindness to take so much time and energy looking up these resources.  I am really just stunned--thank you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Linda in TX said:

I am so sorry for your loss. This past May was the one year date for when we lost our oldest and only boy. It was very unexpected. And we had homeschooled all of them so all 4 were very close. It was so hard. At the time my youngest had just finished her junior year. Let your son lead as to what he can handle each day. Let him grieve his way. I found my daughter would immerse herself in school work some days and do more than I thought was needed for that day. And on others would just do her art and voice, which brought her comfort. She was enrolled in a dual credit class so that was the only thing that was actually required to do for a deadline. In a year things will be much more manageable, I promise.

I am so sorry for your loss too.  I am finding out each day that so many people have suffered losses of various kinds.  The kindness shown to our family even by people we have never met before is just amazing.  Thank you.

On 9/1/2018 at 10:26 AM, momto3boyz said:

I don't even know how to thank you for this.  I am overwhelmed by your kindness to take so much time and energy looking up these resources.  I am really just stunned--thank you.

It was a pleasure to be of help.  I know not everything will be a fit or will work, but I do so hope that a few of the things will be a match and help lighten your load of planning for this year. Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

4 hours ago, Linda in TX said:

I just wanted to say I am sorry for your loss.  Hugs!