Menu

Easiest, Lightest Algebra Experience Possible

Is there something along the lines of "algebra concepts" that covers the basics in a simple way?  I thought about just having her work through Hands On Equations.  Are there other options? 

This child has significant learning disabilities, and traditional high school math isn't happening for her.  She is dual-enrolled at the CC and will get her AA in Art without needing a math course (yes!!!).  But I still want to check the algebra box, mostly for her own confidence.  If she had her way, we'd be working on Consumer Math next and skipping algebra altogether.

Hands on Equations is so easy that elementary school students use it. Dragonbox is similar. They would definitely check the box of having covered some basic algebra concepts. Obviously I don't know her, but I'd think that even the most math challenged kids I taught in my school days would have been able to do them, so she likely can. They're not at all the same as an algebra I program because there's a TON of algebra I topics that they don't cover. But it sounds like you're not looking to cover algebra I per se - just introduce some algebra concepts.

I think Key to Algebra is the most pared down program that you could reasonably call Algebra I on a transcript. But I think you could do the above and some other materials for practice or some projects thrown in and call it something like "Algebra Concepts" or "Introduction to Algebra."

• Like 4

4 hours ago, kand said:

Hands on Equations might be your best bet, but another idea is Zacarro’s Real World Algebra. My dd used that after MM6, when she wasn’t quite ready to do a more in depth algebra. 

I can't imagine RWA would work well for a really math challenged student, honestly. Lighter than a real algebra, yes and with some really easy problems... but also a lot of more challenging ones - at least for a pre-algebra student.

• Like 1

Another option is Keys to Algebra (and Keys to Geometry if you want). Geezle has used their Fractions, Percents and Decimals books and wasn't overly frustrated. He didn't master the concepts completely but he did get an exposure. He's got basically no number sense at all so just not frustrating him was a big deal.

• Like 2

Power Basics is a series meant for struggling students. From their Algebra 1 description: Student text focuses on one concept at a time, illustrates lessons with concrete models and examples, and provides sample practice to achieve proficiency and mastery. The Teacher's Guide provides an overview of each unit; extension activities; a glossary; record-keeping forms; and graphic organizers for instruction. 

http://walch.com/power-basics-text-books/