Menu

Lanyard ID holders for swipe cards??

Hilltopmom

College uses swipe card for meals and dorm access. 

Do your kids keep ID card in wallet and pull it out every time or use some kind of lanyard ID holder for easier access? The only ones we have seen you’d still have to remove card from to swipe- it’s a swipe card not one you can “wave” at a reader.

thanks- for a guy if it matters 

• Like 1

There are lanyard card holders for swipe cards e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Frosted-Rigid-Plastic-Horizontal-Holder/dp/B004CNKBNW

However if he carries a smartphone everywhere, I think a cellphone credit card holder would be more convenient e.g https://www.amazon.com/Phone-Credit-Holder-Wallet-Blocking/dp/B016ZGIDY2

If he prefers his card on a lanyard but doesn’t want the the half card holder style, he might just want to punch a hole and put a lanyard through.  That’s what many people did when I was working in the mid 90s and the office doors needed a swipe card to unlock since the magnetic stripe is off centered.

• Like 5

See what is the norm at the college.

My oldest is at a swipe card school, and NO ONE wears a lanyard. I suggested that, and he said no way.

Funny, because I wore a lanyard for years at work with a badge that could be swiped. It's no big deal to me.

• Like 1

DD had a lanyard which was designed for swipe cards that she used.  Sometimes it would be stuck in her backpack rather than around her neck. 

DS puts his in his wallet and pulls It out as needed.

I have seen females tend to use the lanyards more (probably because they are not always wearing pants with pockets for a wallet).

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I’m totally the type to deal with my own anxiety by obsessing over the last minute small details ?

he liked the look of the cellphone kind but not sure they’ll work with his case. He assured me he’ll figure it out once he gets there & handle it himself ?

• Like 2

DD uses a Vera Bradley lanyard with a tiny zippered-wallet on the end of it with a clear plastic window (obviously, not something that's likely going to work for most ds's out there... but it's a pretty great contraption). She keeps all her ID stuff in the little case, with her school ID facing out so she can scan it easily. It's either around her neck, or attached to her backpack somewhere.

They have to scan that card for everything at her school! She snapped it once in her dorm room door, which weighed approximately 50,000 pounds, and had a lock on it that required that you INSERT the stupid card and pull it out quickly. It was placed so close to the door frame she had to use a sort of odd angle with her wrist to get it to work right, so after a million times being swiped/bent, it snapped. Right in the middle of finals week. She had to go halfway across campus to get a new card made, and then wait over THREE HOURS for the card to activate!! All her $, all her door-opening-capabilities, computer-printing, everrrrything was on that card! That was not a good day for her, lol.

Edited by easypeasy

At my previous school, no one wore a lanyard. They were more likely to use the credit card holder on the phone. 

At my new school, I just won a cool lanyard with a USB drive in the clip. I was just trying to figure out how best to carry it since I don't want to wear it. I'll probably stow it in my backpack. I have no idea what other students here do.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:28 PM, easypeasy said:

DD uses a Vera Bradley lanyard with a tiny zippered-wallet on the end of it with a clear plastic window (obviously, not something that's likely going to work for most ds's out there... but it's a pretty great contraption). She keeps all her ID stuff in the little case, with her school ID facing out so she can scan it easily. It's either around her neck, or attached to her backpack somewhere.

This looks like something my daughters would like. It has just enough space for an ID, credit card, cash, and key.