Menu

Best Age for American Girl

4Kiddos

My oldest daughter will be turning 5 soon and I was thinking about getting a historical American Girl doll for her birthday. I was thinking I would find something on eBay- maybe Kirsten or Samantha. Anyway, I was wondering what age you all bought your American Girl dolls for your daughters and if you think 5 is too small. She is very careful and I think she would love it but I really want her to enjoy it. I had Samantha growing up and I loved her so much. Anyway, what do you all think?

We didn't buy dd any American Girl dolls until after she had read the books and then we bought her favorite character (Felicity at the time).  I can't remember how old she was but I'm guessing around 8?  Most of her friends already had them by then, though.  

• Like 1

I think if she'll care for it while playing with it, go for it.  We waited to get DD her first AG doll.  All told, she had three of them before she stopped playing with them, but that window of doll play is actually very small.  In retrospect, I regret that we waited until she was 9 for that first one.  She took such good care of her Kit Kittredge, but by the time she was 12 the dolls weren't really getting played with anymore. 

I don't think you'll find any cost savings by shopping secondhand for an AG doll either.  Not that you asked for opinions on that, but if you can get to an actual AG store or even get the catalog and go through it with your daughter, you'll be able to hone in on the one she really truly wants.  The beauty of buying from AG directly is that if something happens with the doll, they have ways to help fix- things like hair cutting, permanent marker face, broken arms, etc.   If you buy secondhand and the doll needs surgery or tattoo removal, you're on the hook for paying for it yourself. 

My dd was just over 6 when she got Molly. I knew Molly would be well taken care of, and there were no younger siblings or dogs in our house. She was able to read the books on her own, but I was selective in the order. I found Kirsten’s and Addy’s books to be more emotionally advanced. Molly has a teacher whose fiancé dies, but he wasn’t really an active character. 

I have bought and rehabbed several used dolls, lots of good YouTube videos and websites. The little things to rehab add up though. My last Mercari project doll was $40+$8 shipping, $8 oxy acne cream, $10 emery sanding pads, $10 string and clamps to tightening the legs. Then, I bought the doll’s original “meet dress” for around $15. 

I will use those supplies on other dolls and actually oxy DS13’s nose.

American Girl also makes the Wellie Wishers series of dolls now - they're more durable, less expensive,  and a little smaller and intended for younger kids.  My 9yo has 1 wellie wisher and 1 'looks like me' American Girl.  She wasn't into them as much when she was younger, but has plalyed with them a lot lately.  I know htat I played with similar dolls when I was 6-7, though.  

Edited by ClemsonDana

My just turned 11 year old dd loves American Girl dolls! Today, she likes to write scripts for movies starring her dolls, and then she makes the movies using her iPad.  She has gone in and out of playing with them since she got her first doll at age 6. I think that was a good age, but at age 5 you really might want to check out the Wellie Wishers that someone else posted about up thread. My dd was a bit too old for them when they came out, but boy are they cute. 

My dd just  bought her first doll off of eBay. It was Mia, the 2008 doll of the year. We had been planning a trip to visit family in MN and had the chance to visit a store. Dd has planned to buy a new doll and had been saving her money. She got the idea to save a bit and shop on eBay instead and it worked out perfectly! She got the doll for about $70, including shipping, so she saved over $40 on the price of a new doll. Her Mia doll was in excellent condition and other than a run in her tights, she looked brand new. Dd spent the money she saved on shopping at the AG store for a new outfit for her doll. 

My daughter didn't like the dolls much after age 10, but she had friends who loved them that she passed them on to.  She played with the tent with stuffed animals for a few years after that, the tent is super cute, we still have it and bring it out with a few stuffed animals when young nieces come over.

https://www.americangirl.com/shop/ag/adventure-tent-for-dolls-dnx71?utm_source=googlePLA&utm_medium=online_shopping&scid=scplpDNX71&sc_intid=DNX71&utm_campaign=SC_Shopping-Brand

We have an older tent that my mom found at a garage sale, it's  even cuter than the one pictured above.  The tent got a lot of play and was a big hit with friends.  This is the tent we have:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FreeShipping-Our-Generation-Blue-Camping-Set-Doll-Tent-and-Accessories-for-Girls-Fit-for-American-Girl/32247434911.html

13 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

I think if she'll care for it while playing with it, go for it.  We waited to get DD her first AG doll.  All told, she had three of them before she stopped playing with them, but that window of doll play is actually very small.  In retrospect, I regret that we waited until she was 9 for that first one.  She took such good care of her Kit Kittredge, but by the time she was 12 the dolls weren't really getting played with anymore. 

I don't think you'll find any cost savings by shopping secondhand for an AG doll either.  Not that you asked for opinions on that, but if you can get to an actual AG store or even get the catalog and go through it with your daughter, you'll be able to hone in on the one she really truly wants.  The beauty of buying from AG directly is that if something happens with the doll, they have ways to help fix- things like hair cutting, permanent marker face, broken arms, etc.   If you buy secondhand and the doll needs surgery or tattoo removal, you're on the hook for paying for it yourself. 

What you might get for buying AG secondhand is better quality.  Their quality of even the DOLLS has gone WAY downhill in the last year to year and a half. Basically since they decided to do permapanties -- they "Undid" the permapanties decision, but kept the new cloth for the dolls (That is thinner and pilly) and the new eyes for the dolls. (Much more white and no longer has clear rods. Plus when you lie the dolls down to "sleep" the eyes no longer shut so fully and you see more white around them because the eyes are SO white.  Oh and decal eyes are now just stickers, not depth of eye.)

My 7 year old has a Mary Ellen doll, but she also has a Wellies Wisher.  She plays with the WW doll more, and she's reading a WW book right now.  We are reading AG books for history this year, so are very much into it.  I think 8 is a better age for the historical dolls, wuth the exception if Kit, who is perfect for younger kids.  

I would suggest getting the first WW book and see if she likes it.  The dolls can be bought with Kohls Kash sometimes, or with sales at Barnes and Noble.  If she's asking for s historical doll, then try to get to a store.

My older girls played with them from 6 to 12ish.  Then it just turned off one day.  It was very sad.  I gave tons of stuff saved for my 7 year old, but she really isn't quite ready for them yet.  Ww are a better fir right now.