Menu

Is it worth it to sell china to Replacements?

G5052

I've finally got it all organized and will be taking it in person if I go that way, but is it worth it?

I'm seeing online that if you have something they really don't want, they may offer only a few dollars for a plate. I guess I can put together the list and see.

Experiences?

You can look up your pattern on their website. That will give you some idea of what it's selling for. The less it's selling for the less they're going to give you for it (obviously). How much they offer mostly depends on how popular the pattern is and how much of it they have in stock at the time.

From looking at their website, my wedding pattern seems to sell, but they seem to be phasing out my grandmother's pattern. My grandmother's pattern is deeply discounted with only a few pieces left.

I guess I'll see what they say for my wedding pattern. My guess is that this isn't going to be worth it. Some of the ladies in my quilting guild suggested this, but their experience may have been back a few years.  

2 hours ago, G5052 said:

I'm seeing online that if you have something they really don't want, they may offer only a few dollars for a plate.  

Is it a pain to put together the list? If it is, can you look up your pattern first to get an idea? 

A few dollars per plate for a set of china I don't use sounds pretty good to me! That's assuming it's not a lengthy ordeal to list it and bring it. 

13 minutes ago, katilac said:

Is it a pain to put together the list? If it is, can you look up your pattern first to get an idea? 

A few dollars per plate for a set of china I don't use sounds pretty good to me! That's assuming it's not a lengthy ordeal to list it and bring it. 

I have more time than money right now, but it would require a full day's trip to get there and back. We'll see.

So...I just contacted them about buying my Lenox wedding china.  I am heading to NC and was going to detour an hour out of my way to drop it off.  Not doing it though.  Their quote for 1 dinner plate (mint condition) is $2.00, but they are selling them (on sale) for $34.99 A PLATE.  What a rip off!!!

I am now going to just use my china and enjoy it.  If a piece breaks, oh well!  If I were getting married now and know what I know, I would not buy any fine china.  But...back then, had to have it.

• Like 2

You might not get a bunch of money, but you might make someone else super duper happy. I found things for my grandma that has not been made in decades. It has made her so happy and she was so impressed that I found this and how ever did I do it. So, yeah, if you don't want it anymore, take it to replacements. I see that as a clearing house for this stuff. It is so hard to find replacements for no longer made patterns and that place made my grandma so happy.

You could try to sell it online yourself if you like. Just take a portion off the price from what Replacements sells for. I find it a pain to sell online though.

Edited by Janeway

They sent me an offer a few weeks ago for a somewhat rare pattern.  It's $540 for the pieces they do want, which is less than half of the full set of 12. Which is much better than sitting in the china cabinet collecting dust because we never use it.  When we do have big parties we use a plain set that is microwave and dishwasher safe, because no one has time for handwashing china.

3 hours ago, gardenmom5 said:

you'd get more money breaking up the set and selling it on ebay.  or try your local craigslist.

I put a few of the pieces out on Craigslist to see before I had it all inventoried, and no bites after four weeks. I wanted to see if I could move it locally first. I live in an affluent area, but most people don't use China anymore. All of my pieces are discontinued patterns.

I'm guessing that I'm headed for eBay. I had hoped to get it all done in a day, but this may stretch out if Replacements doesn't offer me enough to make the drive worthwhile. 

20 minutes ago, G5052 said:

I put a few of the pieces out on Craigslist to see before I had it all inventoried, and no bites after four weeks. I wanted to see if I could move it locally first. I live in an affluent area, but most people don't use China anymore. All of my pieces are discontinued patterns.

I'm guessing that I'm headed for eBay. I had hoped to get it all done in a day, but this may stretch out if Replacements doesn't offer me enough to make the drive worthwhile. 

unless it was a pattern I was using and looking for pieces - I wouldn't purchase just a few pieces from craigslist.   I'd want to know the entire set was available, and for how much.

it also greatly depends upon  the pattern.