Menu

Anyone use Stitch Fix? If so, what do you think?

StaceyinLA

To answer, I just got my first box.  The top is something I didn't like, too revealing for my taste, not long enough.  The dress I'm keeping because I absolutely love it.  I wasn't sure putting it on, but fits perfectly, met all my requirements I suggested.  The pants I received are a "maybe" because they are a tad too tight for my comfort level, but I could wear them in a week or two.  I'm sure I could send them back and not be heartbroken.  My concern is that 10 people at my work have signed up, have that nightmare dream where we all show up wearing the same thing.  Don't know how that works, in terms of region.  

• Like 1

I’ve been doing it for almost a year, I get boxes quarterly. I really like it. I have kept most of what they send and I have been very happy. I am a terrible shopper. Left to my own devices and abilities, my clothes normally come from Walmart or Costco, maybe Target if I can get there. But I just got sick of looking like carp and decided to do Stitch Fix. They are nice clothes, colors I wear, they do fit most of the time and I feel reasonable stylish for a 50 year old mom, who’s never been a fashion plate to begin with.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, AngieW in Texas said:

I had boxes sent quarterly and did it for three boxes and then canceled. I just wasn't getting what I had hoped out of it. The first box was really the only successful box. Each of the other boxes had one thing that I really liked, but that cost way more than I wanted to spend.

The items do cost more than I would normally spend. But, I justify it as a) it’s only quarterly, and I try to not buy clothes in between; and b) I do wear the clothes more and they are better quality than what I normally buy.

• Like 1

I keep looking at it and not doing it.

Their price points are on the high side for me.

Plus I live near a Nordstrom with a fantastic Encore department, the second best one I have ever seen after Chicago, and they offer personal stylist appointments on demand, no pressure, lots of good stuff.  I'm fairly picky about my clothes and I don't shop all that often, so getting 5 things even only every quarter would be rather a lot for me and it's hard for me to imagine liking more than one or two enough to pay those prices for them.

YMMV.

• Like 1

Yes, as Tech Wife linked, I was sort of “steering” a long thread about Stitch Fixes before the board changed. I still use SF sometimes and just got a box last Friday. I kept a skirt that is absolutely perfect for me and a top that is not perfect but is pretty good. (There was also a pair of Bermuda-length shorts that I would have kept, but I already have some just like it.) 

Overall, I like getting the SF boxes because I truly despise shopping for clothes for myself. I cannot find the store that is likely to have what is in my head; stuff is the wrong size or wrong price or wrong material; I get decision fatique and waste the whole day. 

Sometimes the designers are not a good fit for me. There is one designer named Maggie who consistently puts together a very good box for me. I have a little conspiracy theory that if you build up credits for referrals like I did, they will give you some craptastic boxes that will waste your credits down. Or that could have been a coincidence, but it seemed that way to me. 

Sometimes their pricing does not make sense. The item out of this last box that missed by far was a caftan dress for $78. The fabric and the chintzy fabric string belt reminded me of a hospital gown! This dress was a complete failure for me. 

Trunk Club is the Nordstrom service that is similar and it has a few advantages over SF, however, it will be more expensive overall. I have only used TC once so far. 

• Like 1

I liked my first Stitch Fix box but the next one wasn't so great. Then I tried Trunk Club which is Nordstrom's and I like them better. I think any type of service like that is good for me because I hate shopping. I haven't had a box in months because I was all set for spring and summer. I've still got great things for winter too so I don't see a need for another box but I'll admit it's addicting! I love getting the new clothes and trying them on and finding fits I wouldn't have purchased for myself at a store. And returns are so very easy. The whole process is painless, except for the money but even that was worth it for me.

• Like 1

I am in the midst of trying Trunk Club (awaiting selections from my stylist). I thought I read on that other thread that their items were less expensive, so that's why I went with that vs SF. If this is incorrect, please enlighten me. I like the idea of the boxes but with a kid heading off to college I'm looking for something inexpensive.

Can someone enlighten me about Encore at Nordstrom? We have a Nordstrom within 20 minutes. How do I know if they provide this service? Or do they all?

8 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

I am in the midst of trying Trunk Club (awaiting selections from my stylist). I thought I read on that other thread that their items were less expensive, so that's why I went with that vs SF. If this is incorrect, please enlighten me. I like the idea of the boxes but with a kid heading off to college I'm looking for something inexpensive.

Can someone enlighten me about Encore at Nordstrom? We have a Nordstrom within 20 minutes. How do I know if they provide this service? Or do they all?

I did not find Trunk Club to be less expensive than Stitch Fix, but IMO, the quality of the TC was far superior to the SF things. Also SF has a discount if you buy all five and I have done this often enough that it makes SF items cheaper overall. 

The distinction to me is this:

If I am looking for some quality items for the upcoming season, but that will likely last for years and years (this is how I view clothes normally), getting a TC makes sense, but it may be a good few hundred dollars. TC also sends ten items, so there is likely more things you will buy.

If I just want a fun surprise and some new things to feel like I have some cute, fresh choices, SF is fine for that. Sometimes SF things are expensive for what they are. 

I cannot speak to Encore as I am not familiar with it. 

53 minutes ago, whitestavern said:

Encore is the Nordstrom women's sizes department.  

Most of the stores have one, but often they are extremely sparse.  Not mine though!

I want to love SF, but have only liked two things they've sent. I've gotten 6 boxes and sent three back completely. I've kept three shirts out of the three other boxes. One of the shirts completely fell apart. The other two I like and wear.  I've never found pants or shorts from them that fit me. 

16 hours ago, whitestavern said:

I found the prices comparable. What I like about TC is you work directly one on one with a stylist so you can tell her you need inexpensive things. I've done that and she did well in choosing inexpensive items for me. With SF, you can only write a note to your stylist who may or may not follow through. My second SF box was nothing I asked for. It was like it was designed for someone else.