Menu

Finally getting rid of it all

I held on to homeschooling materials even after both DD and DS had used them. Maybe I thought that perhaps they want to revisit something? Now DD has graduated from college, and DS is a sophomore, so I am finally feeling it is time to let go of things. I have already given away textbooks locally. But it's the Great Courses lectures I have a hard time parting with - so many fond memories of listening in the car. Anyway, I have taken the plunge and offered them locally. But I also put them in the Classifieds on this board, because I would love for them to go to WTM boardies. 

It is ridiculous how much sentimental attachment I have to these things. Sigh. I can't be the only one, right? The AoPS books have a permanent place of honor on our shelves.

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I can't be the only one, right? The AoPS books have a permanent place of honor on our shelves.

Ds is moving to CA  in his car (think very limited space for everything he wants in his life as an adult) and he very reluctantly handed me his AoPS books and said, "You'll hold on to these for me, right?" 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, MerryAtHope said:

For me it's literature. So many wonderful books I can't yet bear to part with...

This is me. I don't start writing daily lesson plans for my kids until 3rd grade. My youngest has hit that milestone. As I wrote out her plans, I was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that I would never be teaching a book after book again.  It was truly heartbreaking for me bc some of them are like old friends that I have enjoyed sharing with my kids. 

We have already started back for the yr and right now it is the Holling C Holling books. I have gone through them with all of my kids.

One advantage I do have is the my oldest's family homeschools, so I have been consoling myself by giving my favorite picture books and young readers to them.

When my youngest is too old for Landmark books and all of the other precious OOP books that I have collected over the yrs, I don't know if I will be able to just pass them on. I might turn my library into a lending library for my grandkids. I want them to be read and enjoyed by all of them as much as my kids enjoyed them. The books weren't just "school," these books were a huge part of their parents' childhoods.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

As I wrote out her plans, I was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that I would never be teaching a book after book again.  It was truly heartbreaking for me bc some of them are like old friends that I have enjoyed sharing with my kids. 

After you "retire", would you ever go on to help friends homeschool their kids?  You would be so fantastic at it! You'd touch the kids' lives!!  I know it's not the same as homeschooling your own kids, but it is so rewarding!

19 hours ago, 8FillTheHeart said:

some of them are like old friends that I have enjoyed sharing with my kids. 

YES! And some that I have are even my "old friends" from childhood that I read and re-read. I don't know if I'll have the lending library or pass them on if one of my kids homeschools.

15 hours ago, Kinsa said:

If it makes you feel better, I took the very first homeschooling curriculum I ever purchased (which I used with all my kids - Phonics Pathways) and put it in a shadow box. It's now hanging on the wall above my desk.  Sentimental? Yes.

I'm sentimental too! I have year-date charms for my kids' high school graduation years on my key chain! It's surreal to be done. 

With my oldest midway through college, the oldest about to be a senior, and the youngest now a sophomore...I was just sitting in my homeschool room looking at the shelves that are overflowing with books, textbooks, workbooks, binders, etc from all these years. I've let go of quite a bit, but couldn't release the stuff they'd written in. I'm about to take the leap, though.  We are downsizing our "material goods" inside our house and if I let all that go, the ROOM we'd have available!!

It's always harder than I expect, though. The KIDS have ZERO attachment to any of it. They've been encouraging me to let it go for years - especially since, as of last year, almost all of dd and ds's classes are outsourced!

Easiest would be to load it up in the van and donate it - but I cringe at the possibility that things would be just tossed about and maybe never even make it out to a shelf. But, in my past experience, selling (or even giving away) things to local homeschooling moms is always a gigantic hassle. So, I leave stuff on the shelves while I contemplate.  ?

18 hours ago, yvonne said:

After you "retire", would you ever go on to help friends homeschool their kids?  You would be so fantastic at it! You'd touch the kids' lives!!  I know it's not the same as homeschooling your own kids, but it is so rewarding!

I have homeschooled my granddaughter in the past. This yr I am skyping her and her brother once a week. So, my grandkids, yes.

But in general, no. By the time my youngest graduates from our homeschool it will be 2028. I started homeschooling my oldest in 1994. It won't be "retirement" but real retirement! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, easypeasy said:

... But, in my past experience, selling (or even giving away) things to local homeschooling moms is always a gigantic hassle. So, I leave stuff on the shelves while I contemplate.  

Why is that?   Just curious.  
Mine is still young, 3rd grade.  So, being gifted someone's entire homeschool collection sounds dreamy.   Of course, I have a book-addiction problem.   Don't suppose you live in the Metroplex?   

3 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

I can't speak for shawthorne44, but speaking for myself, I find selling to other homeschoolers a hassle because people are inconsiderate.  They email with many, many questions and then don't even thank me for my time after they get my answers.  They say they definitely, definitely want to buy x, y, and z, and please, please hold them; if I set them aside for them and tell others interested that the sale is pending, then, when they come over to purchase, they may look them over and decide they don't want them after all, but the other interested people will have already gone on to purchase on Amazon.  Sometimes they want them, but don't have enough cash, even though I made my already very low prices clear up front.  Some don't even show up because something more fun came up, but they don't let me know their plans have changed; a week later, they contact again and ask to come over with no apology.  Then there are the people who want the stuff, but don't want it enough to drive over here to pick it up and expect me to meet them at a time and place more convenient to them, even though they say it's actually not convenient because they are in such financial straits and the gas is so expensive....  ("hint, hint, please lower your prices even more or just give me this stuff free").   It gets old. 

• Like 1

I actually cried last night when I walked by 2 of my bookshelves.  Oldest dd leaves for her 4 year college (did 2 years living at home going to CC) in less than a month.  After walking back to say goodnight to dds, I had to walk by 2 of my crammed full bookshelves.  I was struck that before long, I wouldn't be telling dd goodnight in person.  Then I saw all my literature books, history books, chemistry books, geography books, etc. Also, I have  "homeschool cabinet" in our family room.  Originally this was the place for all our homeschool materials.  Back when dds were in 3rd grade and K5 I could get all our books and art supplies nicely organized in that one cabinet.  Then it became our game cabinet.  It was full of puzzles and games we played for fun and for school. Now it has pleasure reading, a few games, notebooks, mostly "stuff" I use occasionally.  I was crying by the time I made it to my bedroom. 

Did anyone see the Toys R Us giraffe waving goodbye?  Or the poster on the closed store door about all the kids have grown up......

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

Mine is still young, 3rd grade.  So, being gifted someone's entire homeschool collection sounds dreamy.   Of course, I have a book-addiction problem.   Don't suppose you live in the Metroplex?   

9 minutes ago, klmama said:

I can't speak for shawthorne44, but speaking for myself, I find selling to other homeschoolers a hassle because people are inconsiderate.  They email with many, many questions and then don't even thank me for my time after they get my answers.  They say they definitely, definitely want to buy x, y, and z, and please, please hold them; if I set them aside for them and tell others interested that the sale is pending, then, when they come over to purchase, they may look them over and decide they don't want them after all, but the other interested people will have already gone on to purchase on Amazon.  Sometimes they want them, but don't have enough cash, even though I made my already very low prices clear up front.  Some don't even show up because something more fun came up, but they don't let me know their plans have changed; a week later, they contact again and ask to come over with no apology.  Then there are the people who want the stuff, but don't want it enough to drive over here to pick it up and expect me to meet them at a time and place more convenient to them, even though they say it's actually not convenient because they are in such financial straits and the gas is so expensive....  ("hint, hint, please lower your prices even more or just give me this stuff free").   It gets old. 

Much of it is exactly what klmama said. In my own personal experience, homeschoolers are the WORST for this type of wishy-washy behavior.

I. Could. Not. Even. Give. Away. For. Free. A. Nearly. New. Printer. With. Several. Brand. New. Ink. Cartridges. I had decided to just do something nice and give away a printer/ink that we weren't using (a computer had died and we weren't planning to replace it). I posted on a local homeschooling board and omigosh - the questions/special requests/some demands for special assistance that I got!! I had some other things for sale at the time, so people were asking me, "If I pick up the printer, can you throw in this-or-that curriculum you have for sale too?" Whaaaaat? It was like they were doing me a favor by taking the printer off my hands!  I was just shocked! Ugh! Wound up selling it all for $100 on craigslist the next week. The books I had for sale, I ebay'ed.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

I would love to give it all away. Expensive curriculum, most of it never used. But even giving it away involves me posting it, emailing with someone and (kicker) going to the post office. I can’t. So my recycling bin is so full. 

Eta anyone  wants the Usborne beginner reader box set? That wants to come to my house? ?

2 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

I wonder why the Classifieds are dead?    I know I only look about once a year. Maybe you experienced people can figure out some suggestions for our fearless leader?    I suspect that she/they would listen closely.  

I noticed that, too, but figured it was bec it doesn't seem to be working. I can't see the ads. Everything says 'expired.' etc.

Just came across a FB Well Trained Mind Curriculum Buy/Sell page that seems to be pretty active. I've already found a few things I need for next year there. I hate FB, but... so it goes.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yvonne said:

I noticed that, too, but figured it was bec it doesn't seem to be working. I can't see the ads. Everything says 'expired.' etc.

I think that might be because the new rules allow all listings to only live for THREE DAYS. After that, it "expires", and reposting is not allowed.

• Thanks 2

I've been going through shelves and shelves. With the youngest in high school there are tons of middle grade books that we have moved past.

We used literature heavy curriculum.  I bought lots of books i thought were goid lit because we were often overseas in areas with limited library access and poor shipping times. But no one is going to back and read most of them.  It's nice to not have shelves double stacked and have a place on shelves for Legos. 

I put some out a while ago on my front porch and posted in a neighborhood page.  The remaining several boxes are going to a library sale. They are more likely to be found by someone who will appreciate them there. They will be out of my house in a couple trips. And they pay for library programming.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, regentrude said:

I think that might be because the new rules allow all listings to only live for THREE DAYS. After that, it "expires", and reposting is not allowed.

I didn't know that. A three day limit & no reposting might make it more trouble than it's worth to bother posting. Thanks for the heads-up.

18 hours ago, regentrude said:

That seems the opposite of how it should be.  Wouldn't you experienced people rather post something for sale when you know that you are done with it, then put it on your shelf waiting for someone to contact you?   Even if the contact didn't come for months?   I used to sell books on half.com that way before ebay bought it.   I had a shelf that was For Sale books, and in there was bubblewrap envelopes.   It would sometimes be many months later.   

As someone on the other end, i.e. buyer, I'd rather have a bunch of listings to choose from to buy even if occasionally the response to "Is this still for sale?" is, "No, Sorry, I forgot I listed it and gave it away."  

Library sales are totally awesome!  I often have books in my trunk that I just slip onto the For Sale shelf the next time I go.  Of course, I get most of our non-curriculum books there.  

When I lived in a biggish city I used to be active in Free-cycle.  People were the same way, super-flaky.   Not everyone.   But those that were, were memorable.  

• Like 1