Menu

Correlle dishes

Night Elf

23 minutes ago, Pawz4me said:

I've been using the same set since DH and I got married 28 years ago. Definitely very close to indestructible.

Yep! We just had our 18th anniversary, and our plates are going strong. (Perhaps unfortunately, since the pattern is a bit dated.) ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Great. I can buy plain ones at Walmart. I'll just get her two plates and two bowls. I can't see that she would need more than that. She's got two cups, one is a coffee mug and one is a glass for milk. I'll also need to give her some more of our silverware. I sent her to her dorm last year with one fork, one spoon, and one knife. I'm assuming they're packed in a box. One of the roommates is bringing a pots and pans set and said she'd share them so I don't have to worry about that!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, debinindy said:

I recently got rid of all my chipped (thanks to rough kids), bulky, heavy Pfaltzgraff and replaced it with Corelle.   LOVE IT and should have done it years ago!  I picked a simple but pretty pattern.

https://www.corelle.com/embossed-bella-faenza-16-pc-dinnerware-set/1114995.html#start=45

We use them in the microwave.

I haven't seen Corelle in the stores that pretty.  That's what's put me off buying it. Except for plain white, the designs are cheap looking at Walmart and similar stores.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, happysmileylady said:

Yeah, they don’t “break.”  The EXPLODE! lol. 

However, it takes a LOT.  Just dropping on a linoleum floor, no biggie. Catching the stainless steel sink at just the right angle dropping from the top shelf of the cabinet above....I am sure there are still undiscovered shards in the kitchen somewhere.  Think...throwing a plate against a cinderblock wall as hard as you possibly can.  That’s how corelle shatters. But it literally takes the cinderblock wall to do that.  

I dropped our last one and it hit the edge of the stove.  I swear for 6 months we were still finding tiny shards. I think the best one was when DS was 6ish and dropped a glass on a plate in the sink.  It went everywhere.  Tops of the cabinets, behind the fridge, everywhere you didn’t think it could get too.

• Like 1

They are microwavable, but they can get hot, so be sure she knows to use a mitt or towel to remove it. 

I love Corell. I think it’s brilliant. We have shattered pieces very rarely; maybe three or four times in my whole adult life and our general daily use dishes have always been Corell. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

I haven't seen Corelle in the stores that pretty.  That's what's put me off buying it. Except for plain white, the designs are cheap looking at Walmart and similar stores.

Found ours at Target.

Good to know about what happens when they do break!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Arctic Mama said:

Just be aware that when it breaks it explodes.

We have probably broken 20 pieces, but my kids are super tough on dishes and they did last a long time, given how many drops they sustained.

My kids are 18 and 21 and I think they’ve broken 3 glasses between them. The younger one is clumsy too!  I’m probably jinxing myself by putting this in print. I’m using Corelle on the patio right now! I’ve broken more things than they have, but it’s well documented that I do more than my fair share of dishes. 

I’d do this. If you’re buying new you might as well get something nice in a service for four. Just have it shipped the day after she moves in. For used, you can get tons of Corelle at goodwill. You can get China at goodwill for the price of Corelle.

https://www.amazon.com/Corelle-Livingware-16-Piece-Dinnerware-Service/dp/B00MX19HXA/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1531177908&sr=8-15&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=dishware%2Bset%2Bservice%2Bfor%2B4&th=1&psc=1

12 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

Yeah, they don’t “break.”  The EXPLODE! lol. 

However, it takes a LOT.  Just dropping on a linoleum floor, no biggie. Catching the stainless steel sink at just the right angle dropping from the top shelf of the cabinet above....I am sure there are still undiscovered shards in the kitchen somewhere.  Think...throwing a plate against a cinderblock wall as hard as you possibly can.  That’s how corelle shatters. But it literally takes the cinderblock wall to do that.  

I had a plate explode when it fell on the counter. I was trying to put it into the cabinet and it fell right out of my hands. I don't know what angle it hit that counter but I had a roast beef sitting there too and plate shards went everywhere!!