Menu

How to make 16th Birthday special?

RkyMtnMom

How have you made milestone birthdays extra special?

My dd is turning 16 soon and I would really like to make this day special for her. She isn't getting a car, she doesn't ever ask for much (even though she'd like to), and there have been previous birthdays where money has been very tight. So this year I would really like to go all out-within reason. ?  

I like to set the tone for special birthdays with our kitchen island transformed into celebration central with, for young men: extra special wrapped present (s), balloons, and a special cake (something different like cheesecake or favorite).  For the girls: roses (the number of birthday), lace cloth, beautifully wrapped present(s), and a formally decorated cake.  

I agree with Jean in Newcastle for planning something with the 16 year old.  One thing we try to do (to transition into no presents as for adult children) is to have the child choose a family outing, perhaps an arcade, a fancy restaurant. or a movie out with lots of popcorn/candy, even bowling...something we wouldn't normally do together. 

Happy bday DD!

• Like 1

We had a Princess Bride party for my dd, with movie-themed food, a ROUS pinata (a giant rat, yes you can actually buy this!), games I made to fit the theme (twister on a shower curtain with characters, trivia quizzes I made into slideshows to put on the tv, etc.), and crafts (decorating flip flops, doing facials and foot soaks, etc.). 

If you want something quieter, you could do a father/daughter trip somewhere. For my dd's 18th and graduation (well more graduation, but whatever), they drove to Chicago and spent a couple nights at a hotel and did the architectural tour, several shows, etc. 

• Like 1

We haven't been really big on birthday parties, but have tried to do a 16th birthday party for the girls. 

For one of my daughters, I planned a surprise British type tea party with games for her and several of her friends.  They knew to dress up in period dresses (which they loved, but we had a history of dressing up such for English country dances, so it wasn't a huge stretch). We held it at the lovely home of a dear friend. While the girls went off to do a photo shoot (one was a photographer and they have a TON of great photos), we set up inside.  We used some nice China, made some traditional tea foods and drink, and set up the simple paper type games.  She really loved it and everyone had a great time. 

Take her for a makeover day? Manis and Pedis and then a department store makeup counter for some lessons and purchasing a few new item (check who has free gifts right now ) and then shopping for a few new outfits, with lunch in between? 

Or just manis/pedis with a few friends, then hit starbucks for drinks for everyone?

New, expensive purse if she is into such things. A "grown up" brand. 

Room makeover, with new art for the walls, paint the walls if she wants, and new bedspread and such.

Real, nice jewelry..maybe a ring?

Take her to a play or opera at a fancy theater? Rent a limo?

23 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

My 16 year old would want to be involved in the planning. 

I definitely would ask my daughter for her ideas, plus if she had something in mind or if she wanted me to surprise her. I say this because what they really would like might surprise you. For my dd's 18th I offered the sorts of (reasonable, affordable) things I thought she would enjoy most--trip to the city for shopping with a friend, overnight at a hotel, a show, etc. How she really wanted to spend the day was a trip with me to our local zoo, complete with a homemade picnic lunch eaten inside our van beside the lake. It was an outing the two of us did frequently during her childhood, and now it's also a happy memory of her 18th birthday.

• Like 3

Oldest DD threw herself a Sweet Sixteen party - she did all the planning, decorating and cleaning up afterwards.  We just provided the cash for the grocery store.

Youngest DD opted to not do much on her 16th (I think we went out for ice cream?), but this year for her 17th, I suggested she do an Escape Room with her friends.  I bought the tickets and DS22 and I were the chaparones.  The girls had a BLAST figuring out all the puzzles.  We all had frozen yogurt after while they rehashed how they escaped.  That was lots of fun.

• Like 1

For my dd's 16th birthday, I used an idea that was suggested here. She had 16 different, numbered gifts to unwrap. It went something like this:

#16 - pkg of 16 powdered sugar donuts,
#15 -  $15 gift card
#14 -  pack of 14 hairbands
etc., down to
#6 - six pairs of socks
#5 - five packs of gum
#4 - four t-shirts
#3 - three notebooks
#2 - two earrings
#1 - one $50 bill

And my son got her a $16 gift card. It was fun shopping for everything and pulling it all together. The gifts were a complete surprise to her, so it was extra fun to bring the 16 gifts out and watch her open them, as she realized how the gifts would go. We don't usually do much for birthdays, but I wanted to make 16 a bit special just because of the hype that you sometimes hear about it.

• Like 2