Menu

Review of all basic elementary math

mom31257

8 hours ago, CaliforniaDreamin said:

Lial's Basic College Math textbook.  It has a summary of the key points of each chapter and a chapter review and test that you could work through instead of doing all the work in each chapter.  

I have that one, but I was wondering if there was something geared toward younger students. 

8 hours ago, arliemaria said:

Do you really need to review all elementary maths? Could you give placement tests to pinpoint gaps or areas that need review/remediation?

Yes, but it sounds as if the student has struggled for years and could benefit from reviewing a lot of topics. The question was more to find elementary resources than anything. My tutoring has focused on high school, so most of my resources here at home are for Algebra 1 and higher. 

My 4th trader is using book 1 this summer to make sure he’s solid in basic arithmetic. https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/040619

My daughter used Book 2 last year after 5th grade to make sure she was comfortable with fractions, decimals, and percents. This summer she’s using the prealgebra book since she’ll be doing prealgebra this fall. 

Those are the 3 I’ve used so far. They have simple and straightforward instructions and then problem sets. The problem sets are not terribly difficult but they did help my children feel more confident with the various concepts and they were able to tackle more challenging problems when we reached them in our math books because they were confident with the basics. 

• Like 1

Learn Math Fast Volume 1 will do a review of basic elementary math. I had my dd (who was 12-13 and behind in math/LA from undiagnosed LD's long story) go through the first book in about 6 weeks (I did supplement with some additional things like Kahn & MM & a couple subscriptions sites for reinforcement/review). She liked it so much she moved through volumes 2-4 within 3 months.

I bought copies on eBay & the big homeschool buy/sell/swap group on FB

• Like 1

We used this and liked it (as well as the earlier book designed for grades 4-5).  Not sure which would fit best.

https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Essential-Math-Skills-Minutes/dp/0966621123/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1528373909&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=mastering+essential+math+skills+book+2&psc=1  

One caveat would be that there is no self-teaching involved as far as I remember.  You need to review concepts/how tos. 

• Like 1

Each summer, I delete my kids' Khan Academy accounts and have them start fresh with a new account and work from the very beginning up.  It took my kids 1.5 to 2.5 hours (spread over a week) to get it done from Early Math through about 3rd grade.  It's a good review, and points out to me anything they are struggling with.  They keep working 20-30 minutes a day through the summer, and just get as far as they get.  I quietly hope that they finish next year's grade before the school year starts, just because that exposure makes the next year easier, but I don't say that out loud.  I just want them to keep plugging away each day with no pressure.  It's a change of pace from the school year that keeps it fresh.

• Like 3

On 6/1/2018 at 4:18 AM, lexi said:

My 4th trader is using book 1 this summer to make sure he’s solid in basic arithmetic. https://www.rainbowresource.com/product/sku/040619

My daughter used Book 2 last year after 5th grade to make sure she was comfortable with fractions, decimals, and percents. This summer she’s using the prealgebra book since she’ll be doing prealgebra this fall. 

Those are the 3 I’ve used so far. They have simple and straightforward instructions and then problem sets. The problem sets are not terribly difficult but they did help my children feel more confident with the various concepts and they were able to tackle more challenging problems when we reached them in our math books because they were confident with the basics. 

One of the reviews of book 2 on rainbow resource says that the answer key is "filled with errors".   Have you also found this to be the case?

2 hours ago, MeganW said:

Each summer, I delete my kids' Khan Academy accounts and have them start fresh with a new account and work from the very beginning up.  It took my kids 1.5 to 2.5 hours (spread over a week) to get it done from Early Math through about 3rd grade.  It's a good review, and points out to me anything they are struggling with.  They keep working 20-30 minutes a day through the summer, and just get as far as they get.  I quietly hope that they finish next year's grade before the school year starts, just because that exposure makes the next year easier, but I don't say that out loud.  I just want them to keep plugging away each day with no pressure.  It's a change of pace from the school year that keeps it fresh.

Wow, that's a great idea!  And a great way to hack Khan Academy as a review tool before school starts.  

18 hours ago, TheAttachedMama said:

One of the reviews of book 2 on rainbow resource says that the answer key is "filled with errors".   Have you also found this to be the case?

I wouldn't say 'filled' but more than I experience in other programmes and enough that I warned my kids that it might happen so when it does we check the missed problem together. 

I also use Math Essentials and really like it as a way review basic maths before moving onto Secondary MEP. There is a lot overlap between book 1 and 2 so for a once review, I put the two books together with the parts in Book 1 that aren't in Book 2 and the end section from both books together. I got the PDFs for both books from http://mathessentials.net and we use the videos from there when they want. 

I think MeganW's Khan Academy idea is really good though as well. 

On 6/7/2018 at 12:47 PM, TheAttachedMama said:

I wouldn't say "filled with errors" either. But when DD gets a problem wrong, we work through it together, just to check. (But we probably would have done that anyway.)