Menu

Pick my next vacation destination please

mommyoffive

I really want to start planning our next vacation, but I really can't decide on a place I want to go

We have a lot of miles banked up

Places I have thought of

Iceland

South America (Lima )

Belize looked  kind of neat Or some place else in central america

Europe (we have been there 2 times in the last 6 months.  Of course there are a million places we haven't seen)

Island destination

Africa (although the cost of immunizations would be a factor)

China

Japan (this is where I have wanted to go for 20 plus years.  Although when I think of it China would be better I think because there are so many cool historical things to see. 

Jordan   

Pick a place or convince me please

Lima is on my list - I'd love to see Machu Picchu and the Rainbow Mountains (what I get for pinning almost exclusively travel to my pinterest board. HA!) You can also travel a short distance and take a tour of part of the Amazon.

With China check on if you'll need a visa. I'm part of a travel group on FB (specific to my DH's job) and there are frequently people posting about needing a 10 year visa to enter China (except for HK)

I'd plan Japan for next year around cherry blossom season. That's on my bucket list. I saw the cherry blossoms in DC this year so Japan is next for me!

8 minutes ago, importswim said:

Lima is on my list - I'd love to see Machu Picchu and the Rainbow Mountains (what I get for pinning almost exclusively travel to my pinterest board. HA!) You can also travel a short distance and take a tour of part of the Amazon.

With China check on if you'll need a visa. I'm part of a travel group on FB (specific to my DH's job) and there are frequently people posting about needing a 10 year visa to enter China (except for HK)

I'd plan Japan for next year around cherry blossom season. That's on my bucket list. I saw the cherry blossoms in DC this year so Japan is next for me!

Yeah we would need a visa for China.  I think you only can not have one if you stay a short time and/or go to another country.  Something like that. 

3 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

If you have always wanted to go to Japan, I'd go there. 

Yeah I really need to check this off my list as I am not getting younger.   But I am wondering if it is a good place to go.  Is going to China better?  I can't think of anything that I really want to see in Japan.  But with China we could do the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Terracotta Army, the pandas....

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah I really need to check this off my list as I am not getting younger.   But I am wondering if it is a good place to go.  Is going to China better?  I can't think of anything that I really want to see in Japan.  But with China we could do the Great Wall, Forbidden City, Terracotta Army, the pandas....

I don't know, but everyone I know that has gone has enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

If you have the funds, I'd say China.  I've always wanted to go there, but it's a huge country and the flights to the individual cities could be quite a bit.  If they're domestic carriers, I'm not sure if you can use points for that. 

Otherwise, I'd say Hawaii.  You can't go wrong there.  

Namibia. It's Africa for beginners.

You don't need immunizations. Depending on when you go, you should get malaria meds (no need in the dry season, apparently). For adults, you can just take antibiotics. For kids, you have to take the nasty yellow things. So gross. But it's just a pill you swallow in the morning. Easy peasy.

It's incredible. So beautiful. You'd have to fly in and out of Jo'berg anyway, so you could do a couple days in SA too.

• Like 2

I vote for Africa-- of course that is all I'm thinking of now as I have a trip planned for June to Uganda!

We took a family trip to Kenya a few years ago and the safari (Masai Mara) experience was AMAZING.  We also visited several animal rescue centers and volunteered in a baby orphanage...Both Uganda and Kenya are English speaking countries so that part is convenient.

Yellow Fever is the only vax needed ( they do not have yellow fever there and they want to keep it that way!).  Anti-malaria meds are optional but suggested. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

If you have always wanted to go to Japan, I'd go there. 

I agree. My son did a lot of traveling after he graduated from college, and Japan and Columbia were at the top of his list of favorites. He really wants all of us to travel to Japan together sometime soon. Personally, China is one of the few countries I have absolutely no interest in visiting, based on the experiences of those I’ve known who visited.

Since it looks like you’re willing to go just about anywhere, here are some of my suggestions.

Road trip through the Yucatán peninsula.  Fly into Villahermosa and then drive up and around to Chetumal.  Skip the tourist areas and resorts and stay in little towns along the way in between seeing pyramids.  Merida and Campeche are the best larger cities to visit.  Two weeks would be perfect for this.

Central Mexico road trip.  Fly in and out of Mexico City.  Spend some time exploring in and around the city, then drive to Morelia and up to Guanajuato and back down to Mexico City.  Two weeks would definitely not be too much time, but you could do one week and still get a lot of out this trip.  Either of these Mexico options are nice because you’re not dealing with jet lag but you’re in a place very different from the US, even if you live in an area with lots of Mexicans or Latinos.

Bike the Karakoram Highway in western China. I’d probably skip the Pakistani section for now, but there’s plenty to see in China.

Western China road trip.  This one is challenging because renting a car in China isn’t easy, but it is doable.  I’d fly into Urumqi and go from there, but I’d also probably take come camping gear in case things didn’t go according to plan.  Or fly into Xi’an and explore around there. Or Kunming. I’ve only ever flown into a few cities in China, but biking, driving, or taking the train around the country are all things I hope to do someday.

Uzbekistan.  Fly into Tashkent and spend a couple of days there (there’s really not much to do in Tashkent, although it’s a pleasant city).  Then take the high-speed trains to Samarqand and Bukhara.  Right now there’s only a slow train up to Urgench to see Khiva, but they’re working on a high-speed line.  All three cities (Samarqand, Bukhara, and Khiva) and definitely worth visiting.  Khiva needs a day or two, Samarqand needs two or three days, and Bukhara has a lot to see and I could easily spend a week or more there.  There are plenty of places to stay in all three cities.  We went here last summer and it was a highlight of our lives.

Egypt.  A lot of my friends rave about doing a Nile cruise in southern Egypt, which would be fun, but you can spend a long time in Cairo and never run out of things to do.  

If Saudi really does start allowing tourist visas soon, I’d add Madain Saleh on to a trip to Jordan.  It’s another Nabatean site that’s smaller than Petra, but much less touristy.  The site is currently closed unless you can talk your way in, but you still can’t get a visa anyway.  I’d also love to fly into Jordan and drive all over the country.  We’ve been to most of the major sites at different times but I’d love to just wander there.

Turkey.  Some parts may not be safe to visit, but there is still plenty to see and do all over the country.

• Like 2

Its a really long flight from the US, but South Africa has a lot to offer, particularly if you love nature.  My overseas family just did a fantastic month long road trip in March, the end of our summer.

They rented a car and started in Cape Town, hugged the coastline and went all the way up the Garden Route, visited Addo Elephant park, and continued up the coast to Durban, St Lucia and Hluhluwe game reserve.  From there they drove around Swaziland and up to the Mpumalanga area where they visited the Sudwala caves, Bourke's Luck potholes, God's Window and the other attractions.  This time they only did a day trip into the Kruger National Park as they had been there before, but the Kruger Park and wonderful surrounding private lodges are a destination on their own.

Except for the nature reserves, they stayed in very nice airbnb places everywhere else. 

if you come in the South African winter (the best time to see game as the bush is not as dense), you do not need to take prophylactics against malaria as it is out of season.  You only need yellow fever vaccinations if you are coming from an area determined by the WHO to be a risk for yellow fever, which the US is not.   

• Like 1

I’m going to Jordan next month, so looking forward.

China, for me, was not a relaxing vacation but an intense cultural experience. You can read my blog about it if you want details. I will go back to do points south but it will be a little while.

of the handful of places I’ve been to recently, I’m in love and can not wait to go back to Vietnam and parts of Indonesia. My kid can’t wait for Japan (bc we are doing that with a friend of his). 

ETA that for a relaxing time and amazing nature and beauty I also recomend ST John USVI and Costa Rica. For combining beach time with cultural experiences I second Croatia/Montenegro 

1 hour ago, madteaparty said:

I’m going to Jordan next month, so looking forward.

China, for me, was not a relaxing vacation but an intense cultural experience. You can read my blog about it if you want details. I will go back to do points south but it will be a little while.

of the handful of places I’ve been to recently, I’m in love and can not wait to go back to Vietnam and parts of Indonesia. My kid can’t wait for Japan (bc we are doing that with a friend of his). 

Oh, I also hear amazing things about Vietnam. Not my speed but people seem to love it. 

12 hours ago, Farrar said:

Namibia. It's Africa for beginners.

You don't need immunizations. Depending on when you go, you should get malaria meds (no need in the dry season, apparently). For adults, you can just take antibiotics. For kids, you have to take the nasty yellow things. So gross. But it's just a pill you swallow in the morning. Easy peasy.

It's incredible. So beautiful. You'd have to fly in and out of Jo'berg anyway, so you could do a couple days in SA too.

OH my godness, thank you so much.  Namibia was top on my list.  I didn't know you didn't need immunizations for it.  A friend scared me off of Africa because she said it was $700 per person for shots. 

• Like 2

DH and DD spent several days in Osaka, Japan, and really enjoyed it; they want to go back and spend more time there. 

I have friends who recently went to Maldives and it looks wonderful--but it is a long combination of flights to get there from the US.

I would go to Greece and spend time exploring various Greek Isles.  Each one has its unique atmosphere.  You can enjoy relaxing beaches, wonderful food, visit historical sites

2 minutes ago, jdahlquist said:

DH and DD spent several days in Osaka, Japan, and really enjoyed it; they want to go back and spend more time there. 

I have friends who recently went to Maldives and it looks wonderful--but it is a long combination of flights to get there from the US.

I would go to Greece and spend time exploring various Greek Isles.  Each one has its unique atmosphere.  You can enjoy relaxing beaches, wonderful food, visit historical sites

We just got back from there a month ago. 

I like Iceland and saw some really good deals on tickets recently. Very tempted.

I would pick Japan over China hands down. I find Japan to be friendlier and much easier to navigate independently. 

Also, crowds in Japan and crowds in China are two very different things. The Forbidden City and Great Wall will be swarming with people and you will have to run a gauntlet of pushy hawkers. The pandas were sad. See pandas somewhere where they have a better habitat. 

Possibly I still haven’t recovered from being pushef up against a barrier when the crowd surged forward at the Forbidden City the first time we were there. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

OH my godness, thank you so much.  Namibia was top on my list.  I didn't know you didn't need immunizations for it.  A friend scared me off of Africa because she said it was $700 per person for shots. 

Yeah, we spent maybe $200 on seeing a travel doctor who gives you insurance and agrees to treat you if something happens when you get back, as well as for the prescriptions. And that was for all four of us. But you don't even have to do that. If you know what you want then you can just get your primary care to prescribe it. Or if you're going in the dry season, you don't even need it. I have to say... we were there during the rainy season and it was fine. Like, totally fine. We did experience some interesting washed out roads, but there were only a couple of major storms while we were there and the mosquitos weren't bad at all. I mean, I'm coming from a southern US mentality. My backyard in DC is insane with mosquitos every summer. My legs get bitten up like crazy. In Namibia, I think I got two mosquito bites tops. And we were camping! I mean, seriously nothing.

When we went, the kids were about 8 yo. We had a blast. We also went to Victoria Falls on the Zimbabwe side. And we spent time in South Africa. But those were sort of side excursions to spending almost three weeks in Namibia driving around. It was so good. So beautiful. So empty. People were really nice. Parks were well maintained. We didn't have any issue with using English. We ate a lot of great food (be prepared to eat a lot of meat).

I do second the driving around the Yucatan vacation that Amira suggested above too though. We did a mini-version of that based in Tulum a little more than a year ago and it was definitely high on my list to do again. I'd love to have spent more time and gone farther afield as well. We only went as far as Vallaloidid and to see the ruins at Ek Balam. I'd love to have really gone much farther and done more, though we only spent a week and with the kids, we liked the whole hanging at the beach thing.

4 hours ago, flyingaway said:

I like Iceland and saw some really good deals on tickets recently. Very tempted.

I would pick Japan over China hands down. I find Japan to be friendlier and much easier to navigate independently. 

Also, crowds in Japan and crowds in China are two very different things. The Forbidden City and Great Wall will be swarming with people and you will have to run a gauntlet of pushy hawkers. The pandas were sad. See pandas somewhere where they have a better habitat. 

Possibly I still haven’t recovered from being pushef up against a barrier when the crowd surged forward at the Forbidden City the first time we were there. 

I would like to experience both, but I think your thoughts are probably what dh would end up saying if we went to Japan.  He has gone to China for work and wasn't coming home with glowing reviews of it. 

Keep writing stuff ladies, it really helps to hear first hand knowledge.