Menu

what says the hive?

gardenmom5

is this discrimination - or legitimate caution?

downs teen kicked off flight that hadn't taken off, (or denied boarding as it clearly started in the airport) for vomiting.

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/airplane-mode/down-syndrome-teen-kicked-alaska-airlines-flight-after-vomiting-n863166

they were rebooked on a later flight at no extra cost, and upgraded to first class. (after it was determined to be nerves -and he got clean clothes.)

Didn't read the whole article - just what you described. From that, I would not call it discrimination. If someone is vomiting before boarding, I would think it's wise to wait if he improves. Who would want to be on a plane while you are sick prior to take-off? The fact they upgraded to first class and got them on a later flight seems more caring than discrimination to me.

• Like 8

I think they were correct in being cautious, but it is unfortunate that accommodations weren't provided. Being stranded in an airport is tough, especially for an individual with special needs. I think it is wise when traveling with someone with s/n to always be prepared with a back up plan just in case. I would have found a hotel  myself rather than staying in the airport all night. That would be very difficult with my s/n son. I think it's nice that they were upgraded to first class. Also, if my son was throwing up at the airport, a plastic bag would certainly come in handy! Perhaps there is more to the story, but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Someone is trying to make it into one, though. 

• Like 2

We flew international recently and there was a sign regarding needing to tell the check in person if someone in your party had thrown up recently.  I had never noticed it before and assumed it was due to flu season.  So I asked what the policy was it someone had been throwing up.  Basically it was they don't fly.  So a  travel insurance claim.  No guarantee of anything from the airline(s), we were on a codeshare.  They also said that people throw up at the counter really  frequently! Yuck!

• Like 1

I really doubt this was discrimination.

We recently had a very long delay after someone getting ready to board our flight threw up.  They had to go through all kinds of procedures to clean and sanitize before anyone could go anywhere.  I think they probably have good reason not to board people who seem likely to puke.  Probably lots of experiences I don't even want to know about.

I feel for the family.  But I think it would have been the same if a person without DS threw up on himself around boarding time.  And I don't know that it's the airline's responsibility to get them lodgings.  It's always a travel risk that someone might be sick.

• Like 3

No, they would ask anyone who threw up to get off the plane. It happens regularly. They have no idea how sick the person is or why they are vomiting.  The airplane is not an urgent care center or an ED.  It could easily turn into a situation where they would need to make an emergency landing. Refusing to fly someone who is visibly ill is standard procedure.

• Like 2

They have a responsibility to the other passengers that a person who is visibly sick in this way not be allowed to board.  You do not need to have an entire plane come down with Norovirus or something worse.  Also, they aren't medical personal and people can vomit for a lot of reasons, including heart attacks so for the person who vomits, it is also not good for them to be up in the air without access to medical attention.

• Like 2

Oh good grief.  Another 3L who thinks she knows everything!  Who wants to fly with someone who is covered in vomit???  Vomit STINKS, and it makes other people vomit.  And I know because I just cleaned up an epic quantity of vomit from my 18 yo who has the flu.  Ever have to wash a shower curtain because it's covered in vomit?  No way I would want to do that on a plane, with passengers seated all around me, without massive quantities of running water and laundry facilities.  Good call, Alaska Airlines.

• Like 3