Menu

how many books do you assign for 6th or 7th grade?

caedmyn

This would be for literature, assigned free reading books, and any history go-alongs. 6th grade DD isn't getting through her list for this year like I thought she would, and I'm trying to plan next year's realistically. She reads a lot of her own so idk if I need to find an outside-of-school time for her to read more from her booklist or if I should cut back on the number of books.

My sixth grader is going through one for history/literature once every 2-3 weeks depending on length. I think we are going to end up around 10-12 books for the school year. This is just the assigned reading during school, not the free reading at night.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 1

Assigned independent reading is about one book every 3 weeks. We have a read aloud going all the time, sometimes related to history, sometimes literature, sometimes just for fun. So, listening to a book every 3-4 weeks. She also does a kids' book club and a Mother-Daughter book club monthly. She also attends a Harry Potter book club.

All that to say about 8 books as assigned reading, 8 books as a read aloud, 18 books for book clubs, and 7 Harry Potter books. 

One or two books per week, on average for my kid who will be 6th grade next year. That is about what I assigned for his older brother. My oldest read much more 4-5 per week at least. My 4th doesn't seem to care for reading much yet. If she doesn't get faster and enjoy it more, I will probably have to be more selective. Really, how much is reasonable depends a lot on the kid.

• Like 1

I assign 10 literature books, about 1 every 4 weeks. These are not easy reads usually.

I assign about 2 more books each 12ish weeks, science/biography related usually.

Free reading is not structured, though she can go through a book a day sometimes...

She's in 7th. The books are getting more difficult and more complex, I'd rather she savours them than rush.

• Like 1

This depends so much on the books and the kid.  Much to my dismay, my kids don't ever (ever) choose to read on their own time.  I will tell them to read for half an hour and they set a timer and the second that timer dings, they stop reading.  They don't care if they're at the good part or if they're loving the story or not.  They just want to check the task off their to-do list and snap the book closed as soon as the time is up.

So, for my 7th grader this year, my goal has to been to foster a love of reading: to show him that a large swath of people consider reading to be one of the greatest forms of entertainment available.  (I know I do.)  I've been keeping the books light and below grade level so that he will associate reading with pure enjoyment and not work.  He'll have this year and next year to read as much fun stuff as I can toss at him, because it all changes for us in high school and he will move to books written for adults --To Kill a Mockingbird and books like that.

The only books he reads on his own for school this year are literature books.  No extra history or anything like that.  And he reads one book every 2-3 weeks, but they're somewhat easy books and I only have him read for half an hour a day.  

So, divide the 36 week school year by 2 or by 3 and he's reading between 12-18 books.  But they're not hard books this year.  

If I had been a homeschooled student, I'd be reading 1-2 hard books a week because that's what I did as a kid.  I devoured books. So I'd have read probably 50 books in a school year.  It was in 7th and 8th grade that I started reading adult classics.  I distinctly remember reading Dickens all through 7th and Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights in 8th and kept going from there.  My son is just now reading Hatchet, so he's a completely different animal from what I was.

But, my plan is working.  While my son still watches the timer and stops when it dings, he is actually enjoying the books he's been reading.  This is a step forward for us. He now says that he likes reading, when last year, he was still saying he hated reading.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

About 15, between history and literature. This year (7th), she will have read 9 novels and 1 play, plus a three-week unit on short stories. We alternate years focusing on short stories and poetry. I try to find a nice mix of "challenge" lit, which can stretch over 4-6 weeks, and easier but high-quality reads that might take 2 weeks or less.

She has an additional 4 full-length non-fiction books in history (aside from her spines), along with numerous articles and excerpts from primary sources.

She also will have read 9 or 10 books in science. I do not assign independent reading time. She reads on her own at least a couple of additional hours per day. I let her choose whatever she wants. Currently, that's Tui Sutherland's Wings of Fire series.

FWIW, it's kind of early to tell, but right now I expect ds will have a lighter reading load at this stage. He could certainly take off, but so far his pattern has been much slower and steadier than dd's. So much really depends on the kid and how they learn. And what your goals are. DD is beginning to learn and practice real literary analysis, and she is loving it. I credit that to our years of focus on enjoying good literature. We did discuss things we were reading, but that's about it. Above all, I wanted her to develop a love of good writing, and I either succeeded, or just got lucky. :)

• Like 1

Totally depends on the kid. I've assigned 30+ books and I've assigned less than 10. Each kid is SOOOO different.

My dd#3 (6th-ish grade) is just working her way through our home bookcases. She records the books as she finishes them. Nothing is tied into history, science, or her writing (except for the 2-3 books she read for her outsourced writing class).

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Wow. We are on the low end of the spectrum— I assigned only 5 books in depth for literature in 6th, plus one biography related to history.  But the books I assigned were definitely stretch books, and DD reads widely and deeply on her own, so I didn’t feel she was missing out or lacking “rigor.” 

• Like 1

My kids are gobble-readers so I tend to assign books to my middle schoolers to be slow read. In a school year they will read 1-2 geography books, 1-2 science books, 1-2 history books, and 1-2 literature books this way, depending on their length. I assign 1-2 chapters a week from each category, so they can either spread it out over the week or get it all over with in one day.  What they aren't allowed to do is read the whole book at once, though.

Other than that I let them free read.  I'm careful to make sure they have a booklist with lots of suggestions from me, but I tend not to force it unless I notice they've started a series over for the 400th time. 

• Like 1