Menu

Beach trip to TX

lgliser

We're wanting to take a little beach vacation. TX is the closest from where we are so I'm trying to research beaches. Anyone have any suggestions? It will be me, my mom, a friend, and 4 girls. Ideally we'd love to find a VRBO so close to a beach so we could just walk. I've been trying to research but it's hard to tell which homes are that close to the beach....

• Like 1

Any particular part of Texas?  South Padre Island and Galveston are a fair distance apart on the Texas coast.  Is there a particular time of year you are considering?

We enjoy Galveston--staying in a beach house just west of the the seawall so that you have easy access to the town (grocery store, restaurants, etc.) but are right on the beach.  The area we stayed most recently is "Sunny Beach"--the particular rental we were in would not be large enough for your needs, but there were a number of larger homes in the neighborhood that are rentals.

• Like 1

We're wanting to take a little beach vacation. TX is the closest from where we are so I'm trying to research beaches. Anyone have any suggestions? It will be me, my mom, a friend, and 4 girls. Ideally we'd love to find a VRBO so close to a beach so we could just walk. I've been trying to research but it's hard to tell which homes are that close to the beach....

We loved Mustang Beach on North Padre Island -- but I'm not sure there are VRBOs there. a lot of people rave about south Padre Beach.  And we loved Rockport two summers ago.

Though come to think about it after the hurricane I don't know how these beaches are doing for this summer.  Our church is still sending work parties to Rockport to help.

Edited by vonfirmath

At the top of the page of search results in VRBO you'll see "More Filters". Click on that and select beachfront. That will pull up only those properties claiming to be beachfront. Sometimes owners are a bit over optimistic about their location so check the map feature too, that doesn't lie.

Surfside and High Island are where I grew up going.

A couple years ago we went to South Padre, the sand is so much cleaner than SE TX! We were at Corpus Christie a couple weeks ago, not all the beaches were open but many were. I can’t speak to rentals, we just drove down for the day.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way, have a fun trip!

Edited by Rach
  • Like 1

Surfside and High Island are where I grew up going.

A couple years ago we went to South Padre, the sand is so much cleaner than SE TX! We were at Corpus Christie a couple weeks ago, not all the beaches were open but many were. I can’t speak to rentals, we just drove down for the day.

I don’t think you can go wrong either way, have a fun trip!

Mustang Island is just about 10 minutes north of South PAdre -- closer than Rockport. So I expect South Padre is very similar to both of the others. An adult can walk a LONG way out into the surf because the bottom slopes so gently.  Even the kids got pretty far (though my youngest started floating faster than the rest of us).  Far enough to be able to play in the waves while keeping your feet on the ground.  I did get stung by a jellyfish -- so far enough out that jellyfish are a minor hazard.

• Like 1

Mustang Island is just about 10 minutes north of South PAdre -- closer than Rockport. So I expect South Padre is very similar to both of the others. An adult can walk a LONG way out into the surf because the bottom slopes so gently.  Even the kids got pretty far (though my youngest started floating faster than the rest of us).  Far enough to be able to play in the waves while keeping your feet on the ground.  I did get stung by a jellyfish -- so far enough out that jellyfish are a minor hazard.

Mustang Island and Padre Island are in the same area (Corpus Christi and Rockport is nearby)--South Padre Island is a different area near Brownsville.  

• Like 1

Oh man, I wasn't even thinking about the hurricane :( 

We are coming from Missouri, so while Alabama is a tad farther, I wonder if it may be a better option?

To answer some questions - our main purpose is just chilling on a beach, but other activities would be fun too. We are going April 5-8, so just a short trip. 

Thanks for all of the advice so far! Anyone know much about Gulf Shore Alabama? Or if any beaches would still be ok for sure from hurricane damages?

DH just spent the last two months in Galveston; he did not experience any lingering hurricane issues there.  The beach was nice as far as Texas beaches go (it is not the clear Caribbean waters if that is what you are looking for).  Most Texas schools have spring break next week, so you won't have Texas spring break crowds if you go the first part of April (there may be spring breakers from other parts of the country)

Mustang Island and Padre Island are in the same area (Corpus Christi and Rockport is nearby)--South Padre Island is a different area near Brownsville.  

Oh! I thought South Padre Island was just the South Part of that island.

ETA: I found the problem. The N-S road on the island is S Padre Island Drive starting about 10 miles south of Mustang Island State Park BEach. In fact you turn OFF of "S Padre Island Drive" onto State Highway 361 to head up there.

South Padre Island, Texas, OTOH, while on the same set of barrier islands, is way down near Brownsville.

Edited by vonfirmath

Oh! I thought South Padre Island was just the South Part of that island.

Yes, it is very confusing Padre Island and South Padre Island are a good distance apart and are very different types of areas.  South Padre has more and denser high rise condos.  It is considered a "nicer beach" but can be higher traffic.  Padre Island is not as densely populated and has more of the fishing/beach community feel.

• Like 1

Yes, it is very confusing Padre Island and South Padre Island are a good distance apart and are very different types of areas.  South Padre has more and denser high rise condos.  It is considered a "nicer beach" but can be higher traffic.  Padre Island is not as densely populated and has more of the fishing/beach community feel.

I am SO glad I decided to go with a hotel and not the "SOuth PAdre Island" rental I found -- it was pretty expensive so I decided not to do that splurge and we just did a hotel instead. But I'd have ended up renting in a totally different part of texas than I expected!

• Like 1

We lived in Houston for years. Whenever we went to Galveston or Seaside, the beach was dirty -seaweed, oily stuff (so much so that you had to take baby oil to clean the bottoms of your feet before getting back in the car). But, we also lived in Guam and Hawaii - so those are the beaches I'm used to. I'd head definitely to South Padre or lower to get away from the outflow from the Mississippi. Beaches are cleaner there. 

Another article very similar to the one myblessings4 just posted.

Personally, I'd select my beach very carefully.

There are usually a few each summer who end up in the hospital for several weeks/months or lose part of a leg due to flesh-eating bacteria that theoretically was found in the gulf. 

I hope it is still there, after the Hurricane in 2017.  In Port Aransas, Texas A&M University has a Marine museum that I remember touring years ago. Pretty interesting. Possibly better to go there  *after* you have gone to the beach.  Also, Port Aransas is where the ships come in to go into Corpus Christi.

Enjoy your vacation!

• Like 1

Our favorite so far has been Port Aransas.

I have a friend whose inlaws live there. It was badly hit by the hurricane last summer.....so bear that in mind.

Edited, Oops I should have read the entire thread....seems like they are fine.

Edited by Scarlett

if you go further south, like South Padre you'll most likely fine. They didn't get hammered by the Hurricane or the flood afterward from what I understand.

Galveston is okay too as far as damage. I just stand by my assertation that it's gross. We live within easy driving distance and I'd rather go just about anywhere than Galveston. Not a fan of The Island. :) If you had to choose between Galveston and Alabama there's no contest. Go to Alabama. :)

Yes, AL is definitely worth a little more driving.

Fort Morgan is awesome if  you just want beach and relaxation.  I love it.