Menu

Florida folks help me out- parents want to be snowbirds!

Quick back story: I was born in FL. We moved to VA when I was 3. For as long as I can remember, my mother has talked about wanting to move back to Florida. As she ages, the cold (to her) winters in VA are becoming less and less bearable. So! She called me tonight saying that she and my father have found a house in realtor.com, and they want to take a look at it, but she wants to know if it is in a safe neighborhood. All of their contacts in Florida have passed away or moved away, so there is really no one they can call or check in with to get this information. (I am advising extreme caution, and have insisted that they get their own realtor if they are determined to do this, but they are adults, and can make up their own minds.)

So tell me what you know about the area surrounding north 24th street in Ft. Pierce, please! Crazy request, I know, but the hive knows all, right? 😉

ETA: They are looking for a second home to spend the winter in, not a home to move to. Not sure I made that clear.

Edited by I talk to the trees

I don't know that area, but you can usually get police reports online and see how much crime is in an area by googling. When I want to check out an area, I use google maps. You can punch in the address and then switch to street view to virtually drive up/down the streets. 

My mother just moved to FL, and our concerns were more things like insurance, sense of community and connectedness, who would handle repairs, and whether they could drive in the traffic. Depending on your parents' age, they might like to be in something with community and activities. If *I* were buying down there, I'd get a condo in a gated community and use a property manager to rent it out on VRBO when I wasn't there.

• Like 4

Sorry idk that area. All snowbirds who are retired should consider logistics as if it were a permanent home: are good hospitals close by, is there transportation available in case they can’t drive (or delivery services for groceries, etc), where will they live if they are unable to live independently, etc.

A lot of people who live here as retirees and who age away from family, are now 1,000 miles away from family to help. A lot of medical concerns do not lend well to travel during that time so careful plans should be in place. I do understand a body’s intolerance to cold, and appreciate it. A lot of people feel the same way.

• Like 5

Dd lives in Port St. Lucie and says Ft. Pierce near Avenue D is bad. Like don’t go out at night bad. It kind of depends on where on N 24th street probably- it runs quite a distance.

Overall there is more crime in Ft. Pierce than the surrounding towns, but I’m sure there are still good/bad pockets there just like every other place.

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

Dd lives in Port St. Lucie and says Ft. Pierce near Avenue D is bad. Like don’t go out at night bad. It kind of depends on where on N 24th street probably- it runs quite a distance.

Overall there is more crime in Ft. Pierce than the surrounding towns, but I’m sure there are still good/bad pockets there just like every other place.

I used to live in PSL and would agree...basically you don't want to be near those streets that don't have a real "name".  Vero is nearish and nicer for retirees I think. 

• Like 2

I don't know anything about that area. But MIL and FIL are snowbirds who have a place near The Villages.

MIL just had a major health problem that put her in the hospital for almost two weeks. They had some trouble with their insurance, because it would cover emergency hospitalization in FL, but it would only cover rehab in their home state. MIL was too ill to return to her home in FL and definitely too ill to return to the Midwest, although she was not sick enough to still need hospitalization. It was a quandary. Everyone kept trying to work it out, and in the end, the hospital just kept her there until she had improved enough to go to her house.

In the meantime DH and his brother and sister each took a week or more of time to go help down there during this crisis, so that the in laws would not be alone. DH was there for 10 days, and BIL was there for a week.

It was a big ordeal. So my advice is not about the neighborhood but about knowing in detail how their insurance works if they are living in two different states.

MIL and FIL have enjoyed their years as snow birds, but I'm not sure they will go back again after this year, because it has been traumatic.

I don't mean to be discouraging in any way, but just to advise knowing all the legal and health things in detail.

• Like 6

They had some trouble with their insurance, because it would cover emergency hospitalization in FL, but it would only cover rehab in their home state.

I assume they are Medicare age.  Are they on traditional Medicare (to which most doctors belong) or a Medicare Advantage plan (which has a particular network)?  Sounds like the latter.  This is good information for the potential snowbird.

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

I assume they are Medicare age.  Are they on traditional Medicare (to which most doctors belong) or a Medicare Advantage plan (which has a particular network)?  Sounds like the latter.  This is good information for the potential snowbird.

They are in their 80s, but the insurance isn't through Medicare. I'm not sure why, but MIL was a teacher, so they may have something linked to those retirement benefits (not sure, just guessing -- DH is the one who was there when they were discussing the insurance troubles).

My grandparents retired to Florida about 20 years ago. They bought a trailer (much better quality than anything I've seen in TN) in a community that maintains the grounds and provides activities. Initially they spent most of the year traveling in their RV. They then retired full time to their Florida house. Their community owned park is a great fit as they age. A fair number of their neighbors are snowbirds, but the snowbirds tend to stay full time in Florida eventually. I would look for something in a similar community with the long term plan of staying in Florida full time when their health or energy level requires it.

• Like 2

My grandparents retired to Florida about 20 years ago. They bought a trailer (much better quality than anything I've seen in TN) in a community that maintains the grounds and provides activities. Initially they spent most of the year traveling in their RV. They then retired full time to their Florida house. Their community owned park is a great fit as they age. A fair number of their neighbors are snowbirds, but the snowbirds tend to stay full time in Florida eventually. I would look for something in a similar community with the long term plan of staying in Florida full time when their health or energy level requires it.

If they consider this type of community though, they need to keep in mind that people in mobile and manufactured homes are among the first to be evacuated (along with people on barrier islands) when a hurricane is expected, and sometimes even for a strong tropical storm. If they aren't willing to go to a shelter they should have someone in a sturdy house they can go to or be able to afford a hotel room.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

my ex inlaws live in a similar community, in Vero. Very nice manufactured home (not an RV) and a pool, community room with activities, etc. 

• Like 2

Other things to consider when moving to FL:   

Cost of homeowner's insurance

Cost of hurricane deductible (because regular homeowner's ins. doesn't cover hurricanes)

Is flood insurance required?

Are there sinkholes in the area?  (No idea about Ft. Pierce, but in the Tampa area there are pockets with a LOT of sinkholes.)   Check on cost of sinkhole insurance (again, not covered by homeowner's insurance)

Is the potential home in an evacuation zone?   (Mobile/manufactured homes in ANY evacuation zone are typically required to evacuate first.)

Is transportation available should they become unable to drive?  This would be more likely in a planned retirement community rather than a standalone home.   FL has very little to no public transportation.

We had similar issues mentioned upthread with my ILs when their health declined to the point where they were unable to live independently anymore.   DH, who lived 4 hours away from them, or SIL, who lived 5 hours away from them, had to start accompanying them to doctor appointments, then ultimately decided that they needed to move to assisted living in the same city as one of their kids, so they'd have help nearby.   I would definitely have a conversation with parents who are in their 80's about the inevitability of declining health, and have a plan in place for how that might play out down the road.  They will need to build a support system locally.

• Like 2

I vacation in Fort Pierce several times a year, and this is the same advice as I would give. Don’t be near Avenue D by the McDonalds on Route 1. I mean, we go there during the day, but at night we stay on the other side of route 1.

My parents live in an over 55 community in PSL, and they love it. We have a condo on North Hutchinson Island where we stay when we visit. I love Fort Pierce and am missing it right now. 4 weeks and I get to visit!

• Like 2

Some people who I know do this rented during the first winter to see if they liked it.

It can be a bit of a logistical challenge, but some thrive on it. I know that Comcast even offers a "snowbird" discount where you keep your service but pay a much lower fee if you don't use it in the off season.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I will pass all of your suggestions and info. along. After looking at realtor.com's crime map, and reading some of your replies, I am going to suggest that they at least move their search north to Vero Beach. To be honest, I am concerned about the logistics of doctors, driving, potential emergencies, and a half dozen other things should they decide to spend the winters that far away. OTOH, if that's what they *really* want to do, why should I discourage them? We'll see...I think my mother has got a bee in her bonnet because she saw their old house on realtor.com and started feeling nostalgic. (That, and the meteorologists' predictions for a wintery mix this week and next weekend!)

Other things to consider when moving to FL:   

Cost of homeowner's insurance

Cost of hurricane deductible (because regular homeowner's ins. doesn't cover hurricanes)

Is flood insurance required?

Are there sinkholes in the area?  (No idea about Ft. Pierce, but in the Tampa area there are pockets with a LOT of sinkholes.)   Check on cost of sinkhole insurance (again, not covered by homeowner's insurance)

Is the potential home in an evacuation zone?   (Mobile/manufactured homes in ANY evacuation zone are typically required to evacuate first.)

Is transportation available should they become unable to drive?  This would be more likely in a planned retirement community rather than a standalone home.   FL has very little to no public transportation.

We had similar issues mentioned upthread with my ILs when their health declined to the point where they were unable to live independently anymore.   DH, who lived 4 hours away from them, or SIL, who lived 5 hours away from them, had to start accompanying them to doctor appointments, then ultimately decided that they needed to move to assisted living in the same city as one of their kids, so they'd have help nearby.   I would definitely have a conversation with parents who are in their 80's about the inevitability of declining health, and have a plan in place for how that might play out down the road.  They will need to build a support system locally.

The law in Florida now requires homeowner's insurance to cover sinkholes.

• Like 1

If they consider this type of community though, they need to keep in mind that people in mobile and manufactured homes are among the first to be evacuated (along with people on barrier islands) when a hurricane is expected, and sometimes even for a strong tropical storm. If they aren't willing to go to a shelter they should have someone in a sturdy house they can go to or be able to afford a hotel room.

This is true, however, it is mitigated by being farther inland. My grandparents aren't at risk of being evacuated for a minor hurricane.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the responses, everyone. I will pass all of your suggestions and info. along. After looking at realtor.com's crime map, and reading some of your replies, I am going to suggest that they at least move their search north to Vero Beach. To be honest, I am concerned about the logistics of doctors, driving, potential emergencies, and a half dozen other things should they decide to spend the winters that far away. OTOH, if that's what they *really* want to do, why should I discourage them? We'll see...I think my mother has got a bee in her bonnet because she saw their old house on realtor.com and started feeling nostalgic. (That, and the meteorologists' predictions for a wintery mix this week and next weekend!)

Lyft and Uber are plentiful in most Florida towns, so that should help with driving I'd think. 

My mother bought a mobile home in a senior community, so that's what I was referring to by community. She really likes it. I agree the hurricaine stuff is an issue, sigh. It would have been about the same money to buy a house, but she wouldn't have had the community. They really wanted that, so that's what they went for. But if you want no maintenance, condo is great.

Have they thought about just doing a longer VRBO? Like actually rent out a place for 3 months or something? 

The thing with hurricanes is that you have days of warning. And if they are coming for just the winter, they may not be here then anyway. Hurricane season ends December 1st. Most storms happen well before then, in august-september in my recollection.  They would need to make some friends locally here that could check on their place after a storm though.