Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

On 7/2/2019 at 10:53 AM, kiwik said:

That is what I would like.  Then he could skip the show if he wasn't ready.  I think all the studios in town do it this way though I don't think it is as extensive or for so long.  I am kind of wishing we had done ballet at the other studio who I think do less in class.  The third option has a senior teacher whose style would not work for ds but unless he did the boys class he probably wouldn't have her.  If he can cope with the rest of the year it will probably do him good.  If he can't though he will become erratic and want to quit.

Just rereading.  We made it through.  I have found one dance place where you can either enrol in an exam class (who don't do a show)  or a open class (they do a show and practice in class).  They still only have one class a week but dancing for him is PE and discipline not becoming a dancer.  I think two would be better as my experience is that is the minimum to make progress but it is what it is.  The way it is structured all the ballet is one night, all the tap the next etc so doing a lower level class wouldn't help.  Anyway he is going to trial a couple of classes and see what he thinks of the teacher.  He did love the show though but it was so draining.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, mommyoffive said:

Yep, for sure going to do the YD SAB NYC.   I am on the fence about SAB 5 week.   Do it because it is SAB or look for some more scholarship money some where else.  And just do the 1 week for this year there. 

I was thinking of asking Miami if he could do the first week of the YD SI there.  

Unless funds are unlimited, I would just do the SAB YD and not also the 5-week this year. It might also be fun to do 1 week of the MCB YD if they’ll allow it, but it might be a bit hectic relocating from your temp housing in Miami to NYC and getting settled all in 1 day (assuming both programs dance Monday - Saturday).

Since you have many years of SIs to look forward to, my advice is to pace yourselves and keep it fun. My DD, as I mentioned up thread, was a late-starter at 11. I credit that with her continued joy for dancing and her incredible work ethic. SO many of her friends are burned out on ballet and a few quit each year it seems. It can become a grind and some succumb to the intense pressure. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

Unless funds are unlimited, I would just do the SAB YD and not also the 5-week this year. It might also be fun to do 1 week of the MCB YD if they’ll allow it, but it might be a bit hectic relocating from your temp housing in Miami to NYC and getting settled all in 1 day (assuming both programs dance Monday - Saturday).

Since you have many years of SIs to look forward to, my advice is to pace yourselves and keep it fun. My DD, as I mentioned up thread, was a late-starter at 11. I credit that with her continued joy for dancing and her incredible work ethic. SO many of her friends are burned out on ballet and a few quit each year it seems. It can become a grind and some succumb to the intense pressure. 

That is kind of what I am leaning to, but I am fighting with what if he doesn't get into the 5 week next year?   But if he does it this year he will spend 6 weeks in NYC.   Eeeep.   He hasn't been away from us ever.  That is a big piece of summer.  I thought going and doing the 1 week gives a good taste if you like it or not.   He thinks one week is not long enough.  He does want to do the 5 week too.  

I can't remember if I said this but he got into the SAB YD in Cali, but they only allow the boys to do 1 tech class a week. They can't do pointe or variations, so it seems like it wouldn't be worth to do. 

Funds are not unlimited at all.  We still have to figure out what my oldest is doing and now another dc.   She went to auditions just to get a taste and got into Miami.  Was not expecting that at all.   Was not expecting any of this. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

That is kind of what I am leaning to, but I am fighting with what if he doesn't get into the 5 week next year?   But if he does it this year he will spend 6 weeks in NYC.   Eeeep.   He hasn't been away from us ever.  That is a big piece of summer.  I thought going and doing the 1 week gives a good taste if you like it or not.   He thinks one week is not long enough.  He does want to do the 5 week too.  

I can't remember if I said this but he got into the SAB YD in Cali, but they only allow the boys to do 1 tech class a week. They can't do pointe or variations, so it seems like it wouldn't be worth to do. 

Funds are not unlimited at all.  We still have to figure out what my oldest is doing and now another dc.   She went to auditions just to get a taste and got into Miami.  Was not expecting that at all.   Was not expecting any of this. 

If he doesn't get in then, he doesn't get in. It's really not the end of the world. There are other paths to being a good dancer, even to being a professional. My professional hopeful ds will likely never do SAB specifically. He's got time.

Unless I lived near that Cali SAB YD, there's no way I'd consider it. That was being talked about on a boy dance forum I'm on and everyone was like, um, not worth it unless you live there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

If he doesn't get in then, he doesn't get in. It's really not the end of the world. There are other paths to being a good dancer, even to being a professional. My professional hopeful ds will likely never do SAB specifically. He's got time.

Unless I lived near that Cali SAB YD, there's no way I'd consider it. That was being talked about on a boy dance forum I'm on and everyone was like, um, not worth it unless you live there.

Yes the Cali YD is out for him.  I had no idea that it ran like that.  Bummer. 

No of course I know it isn't the end of the world.  And I know there are other paths for sure.  Tons.  It just seems like such a cool experience that if you get the chance it would be awesome to take.  Some of my kids most likely are on other paths and it is fine with me.  I am proud of them all.   Why will your ds never do SAB?  Have you not heard good things? 

I can't find any reviews of the Miami YD program.  I would really like to know more about it. 

Waiting to hear from some auditions this weekend.  I am kicking myself for not going to some other auditions, but man I just think it complicates things for us. 

• Like 1

How is everyone doing in SI season?  

My kids did one more audition this weekend.  Waiting to hear back.  Do you have a harder time getting into a school that doesn't teach the same style as your home school?   This one is a different style, so I am wondering how that will effect their chances of getting in.   I was thinking of them going to the ABT audition, but didn't know if this is something that isn't good to do.  Go to an audition that isn't in your style. 

Edited by mommyoffive

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How is everyone doing in SI season?  

My kids did one more audition this weekend.  Waiting to hear back.  Do you have a harder time getting into a school that doesn't teach the same style as your home school?   This one is a different style, so I am wondering how that will effect their chances of getting in.   I was thinking of them going to the ABT audition, but didn't know if this is something that isn't good to do.  Go to an audition that isn't in your style. 

I take it your kids do Balanchine? Most studios will tell you not to go do training in another style before a certain age or level that I suspect your kids aren't quite at yet. BalletBoy has only ever really done Vaganova. ABT has a lot of programs of varying quality. I wouldn't do it since you already have acceptances other places and it's a different style.

We're hoping the SFB results come back before the Ballet West deadline on Saturday. They may, but no guarantee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

I take it your kids do Balanchine? Most studios will tell you not to go do training in another style before a certain age or level that I suspect your kids aren't quite at yet. BalletBoy has only ever really done Vaganova. ABT has a lot of programs of varying quality. I wouldn't do it since you already have acceptances other places and it's a different style.

We're hoping the SFB results come back before the Ballet West deadline on Saturday. They may, but no guarantee.

I am not really sure if they do Balanchine or not.  The AD left our school 6 months after we got there, I think it was when the old AD was there.  It has been in flux since then.   I know that people have gone away to Jilliana and come back confused because what they were taught there and during the year were not the same.    Hmm good to know.  Like I said there is just no help with this stuff at our school.   Has every intensive your ds gone to been in Vaganova? 

Just wondering, what level is it that you try to get to?  Is it something you reach before becoming a trainee or in your late teens?   

My oldest kid doesn't have an acceptance anywhere yet.  Maybe I need to look at only Balanchine places then.   Do you know of any others besides Ballet Chicago, Jilliana, PNB, Miami, and SAB?

Thanks for all the help and advice.  I really appreciate it.  I wish I would have thought of all these questions before SI season started. 

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I am not really sure if they do Balanchine or not.  The AD left our school 6 months after we got there, I think it was when the old AD was there.  It has been in flux since then.   I know that people have gone away to Jilliana and come back confused because what they were taught there and during the year were not the same.    Hmm good to know.  Like I said there is just no help with this stuff at our school.   Has every intensive your ds gone to been in Vaganova? 

Just wondering, what level is it that you try to get to?  Is it something you reach before becoming a trainee or in your late teens?   

My oldest kid doesn't have an acceptance anywhere yet.  Maybe I need to look at only Balanchine places then.   Do you know of any others besides Ballet Chicago, Jilliana, PNB, Miami, and SAB?

Thanks for all the help and advice.  I really appreciate it.  I wish I would have thought of all these questions before SI season started. 

You should definitely take anything I say with a grain of salt. At least for ballet. All I know is our own limited experience. BalletBoy is 15, but he's only been at Washington Ballet for two years. He only did one summer away and that was PBT. The others, he did the SI at his old studio. At both the old studio and at Washington Ballet, they strongly encourage kids not to go away at all until they're 12ish to 14ish and not to do a program that's not Vaganova until they're 14ish or 15ish - depending on the level, of course. We all got strongly cautioned last year not to have kids below level 6 even consider going to a Balanchine program - there was a lot of moaning about level 4 girls (basically beginner pointe) going away and coming back with habits that were all "wrong" when they hadn't yet learned the basics well enough to be able to switch between styles easily enough. Of course, some do anyway and they know that and they don't stop you. And they're - of course - trying to sell their own Si to some extent... though honestly not to the kids in level 6 or 7 it seems. We were encouraged to go away this year.

But I think maybe this all matters a lot less at some other studios.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Farrar said:

You should definitely take anything I say with a grain of salt. At least for ballet. All I know is our own limited experience. BalletBoy is 15, but he's only been at Washington Ballet for two years. He only did one summer away and that was PBT. The others, he did the SI at his old studio. At both the old studio and at Washington Ballet, they strongly encourage kids not to go away at all until they're 12ish to 14ish and not to do a program that's not Vaganova until they're 14ish or 15ish - depending on the level, of course. We all got strongly cautioned last year not to have kids below level 6 even consider going to a Balanchine program - there was a lot of moaning about level 4 girls (basically beginner pointe) going away and coming back with habits that were all "wrong" when they hadn't yet learned the basics well enough to be able to switch between styles easily enough. Of course, some do anyway and they know that and they don't stop you. And they're - of course - trying to sell their own Si to some extent... though honestly not to the kids in level 6 or 7 it seems. We were encouraged to go away this year.

But I think maybe this all matters a lot less at some other studios.

Thanks for the input Farrar.   So much to think about.  Heard from the audition this weekend and they both got a yes.   I feel like everyone tells you to go to lots of auditions, but then it makes everything so much more complicated. 

• Like 1

Any idea about 'wait-listed', at Chicago Ballet summer intensive???  It is where I personally really wanted her to go this summer because we can stay with family friends.  She has been accepted elsewhere, but any idea about her chances of getting off the waitlist??  The e-mail says not to expect anything until after March 15th, which is of course after the deadline for the other SI's . . .  

4 minutes ago, HSMWB said:

Any idea about 'wait-listed', at Chicago Ballet summer intensive???  It is where I personally really wanted her to go this summer because we can stay with family friends.  She has been accepted elsewhere, but any idea about her chances of getting off the waitlist??  The e-mail says not to expect anything until after March 15th, which is of course after the deadline for the other SI's . . .  

No idea about their wait list.  My 2 kids got in there last year.  I wouldn't let the other places she got in go by if you have to wait until March.  It may work out, but you also could end up empty handed.   

4 hours ago, Janeway said:

Son got a great scholarship to one and a partial to another and none to another. Ironically..his first choice was Ballet West, where he got no scholarship. I will not be springing on that. So it will be between the two others.

Wow congrats to your son!!!!  I didn't know you had a son that danced.   Has he done other intensives before?  How old is he? 

On 1/14/2020 at 8:41 PM, lulubelle said:

My dd just had Houston audition Friday.  Last year she was wait listed and she’s hoping to get in.  Also CHQ this weekend and Boston the following.  She hasn’t gone away for SI before, just local stuff so she really is hoping for it.  Good luck to everyone.

Hi! Has your DD received a result from CHQ audition? How many days did it take, if so?

My DD’s CHQ audition is really late (2/1) and she already has two deadlines looming (SAB & PNB). I’m hoping they will grant our requests for extensions and CHQ will expedite results at the end if the audition season. It would be nice to have all the options on the table before deciding. Otherwise, we’ll be playing roulette!

Edited by fourisenough

5 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Hi! Has your DD received a result from CHQ audition? How many days did it take, if so?

My DD’s CHQ audition is really late (2/1) and she already has two deadlines looming (SAB & PNB). I’m hoping they will grant our requests for extensions and CHQ will expedite results at the end if the audition season. It would be nice to have all the options on the table before deciding. Otherwise, we’ll be playing roulette!

Oh that is so stressful.  My oldest got into a program that only accepts 20 per level, I didn't know that going in.  I wanted her to do ABT audition but it isn't until 2-16.  She was going to do Jilliana today too, before we found out about that.  

Congrats on SAB and PNB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh that is so stressful.  My oldest got into a program that only accepts 20 per level, I didn't know that going in.  I wanted her to do ABT audition but it isn't until 2-16.  She was going to do Jilliana today too, before we found out about that.  

Congrats on SAB and PNB.  

Thank you! I can’t imagine trying to navigate this for more than one dancer; You have my respect! Have you made decisions for any of your kids?

I was thinking about you/DS re: SAB YD vs. 5-week. Can’t remember if I spelled this out up thread, but when DD was newly 12 she auditioned for the first time for SIs (had only been dancing about a year at that point). Upon teacher’s advice, she auditioned for SAB and PNB. She was turned down for SAB 5-week, but invited to CA Workshop for YD. she was also invited to PNB 5-week on scholarship AND we had free family housing. Obviously, we declined SAB and accepted PNB. I worried just a bit that she would be not be invited again by SAB, but she has been every year since. So, all that to say that I don’t think you should worry about DS not being invited to 5-week again. If he has “it” (whatever elusive qualities they’re looking for), they will invite him back in the future.

Anyway, merde with remaining auditions and especially with decisions!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow congrats to your son!!!!  I didn't know you had a son that danced.   Has he done other intensives before?  How old is he? 

He got in to intensives the last two summers, but we did not send him because of cost. This year he is going. Deciding between the two with scholarships...but..I think I know which one he should go to. He is 15 yrs old.

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Congrats on SAB and PNB.  

My son would love to do ABT New York some day.

So many decisions. Full tuition to SFB... but it's a shorter program, so he's disappointed. He is doing the SAB audition, but he never shows well for Balanchine schools. We'll see. I wish he'd done some more second tier programs, but... his career. Since the main instructor at BBSI is Ballet West, that may be the compromise there. Both SFB and BBSI.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Farrar said:

So many decisions. Full tuition to SFB... but it's a shorter program, so he's disappointed. He is doing the SAB audition, but he never shows well for Balanchine schools. We'll see. I wish he'd done some more second tier programs, but... his career. Since the main instructor at BBSI is Ballet West, that may be the compromise there. Both SFB and BBSI.

Wow, amazing for him!!!!  Congrats. That is really really awesome.   How long is SFB?   How many places did he audition for this year?  Why didn't he audition for more second tier programs?   I was thinking that DS should do that too.  Would it be easier to get scholarship from them? 

Sounds like you have a good plan doing SFB and BBSI.  

Edited by mommyoffive

On 1/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, fourisenough said:

Thank you! I can’t imagine trying to navigate this for more than one dancer; You have my respect! Have you made decisions for any of your kids?

I was thinking about you/DS re: SAB YD vs. 5-week. Can’t remember if I spelled this out up thread, but when DD was newly 12 she auditioned for the first time for SIs (had only been dancing about a year at that point). Upon teacher’s advice, she auditioned for SAB and PNB. She was turned down for SAB 5-week, but invited to CA Workshop for YD. she was also invited to PNB 5-week on scholarship AND we had free family housing. Obviously, we declined SAB and accepted PNB. I worried just a bit that she would be not be invited again by SAB, but she has been every year since. So, all that to say that I don’t think you should worry about DS not being invited to 5-week again. If he has “it” (whatever elusive qualities they’re looking for), they will invite him back in the future.

Anyway, merde with remaining auditions and especially with decisions!

That really does help.  I know the rumor is that if you turn down a place they will never ask you back again.  I am glad it isn't true.  

Yes, I am not enjoying this at all.  A lot to decide and it isn't fun.  We haven't come to a full decision yet.   Have to in a few days.   I feel like all my kids are different, they all are on different roads, and they all need different things.  People were like just send them all to the same place and I am sure that would be ok to send them all the same place if they all got in.  But I think they are going to get a feel for what places, styles, paths, and programs are good for them.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Janeway said:

He got in to intensives the last two summers, but we did not send him because of cost. This year he is going. Deciding between the two with scholarships...but..I think I know which one he should go to. He is 15 yrs old.

Congrats to him!  Let us know when you decide and then after he goes.  I really helps to hear from people who have gone and what they think.

4 hours ago, lulubelle said:

My dd13 got into Houston, which we are thinking she will go.  CHQ was last Sunday.  They say 2-3 weeks till you find out, which is really too long.  Houston needs an answer before that.  Today, she is doing Boston.  

Congrats to her!  Ugh this deadline thing is so hard.  

Is anyone auditioning for ABT or have done it?   Just curious.  Most of their programs are 3 weeks, is that an issue?  Is longer always better? 

Can we talk about something else that I hope you guys understand.  How do you get through your kids being gone for 3-6 weeks?  How hard was it the first year you did this?  

BalletBoy has never auditioned for ABT's SI. He has auditioned for ABT for supers roles. He got to be in garland waltz when he was tiny. He says when Washington was doing it, Kevin Mackenzie was there at his studio and remembered him, about which he was over the moon. I've always heard their SI's vary a lot in quality from location to location, but I don't know the ins and outs.

Today was SAB auditions, though I doubt he'll go.

As for the being away... for the first week, we had WAY too much food in the house. Then for the first week he was back, we had WAY too little. Lol. It was nice. I missed him but... he was having fun and I knew he'd be back. It was just a warm up for later.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

That really does help.  I know the rumor is that if you turn down a place they will never ask you back again.  I am glad it isn't true.  

Yes, I am not enjoying this at all.  A lot to decide and it isn't fun.  We haven't come to a full decision yet.   Have to in a few days.   I feel like all my kids are different, they all are on different roads, and they all need different things.  People were like just send them all to the same place and I am sure that would be ok to send them all the same place if they all got in.  But I think they are going to get a feel for what places, styles, paths, and programs are good for them.  

Stuff is complicated with lots of kids; even when they are in the same activities they don't necessarily want or need the same thing out of those activities.

I mentioned the upcoming feis (Irish dance competition) today and dd12 said she didn't want to compete. She's already registered because last time I asked she did want to compete.

Turns out she doesn't actually care to compete but is afraid she won't be able to move up in levels if she doesn't. I don't think that is how things work at this dance school and she will probably be just fine moving up without competing.

My sixteen and fourteen year olds are motivated by competition, but not every kid is.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Farrar said:

BalletBoy has never auditioned for ABT's SI. He has auditioned for ABT for supers roles. He got to be in garland waltz when he was tiny. He says when Washington was doing it, Kevin Mackenzie was there at his studio and remembered him, about which he was over the moon. I've always heard their SI's vary a lot in quality from location to location, but I don't know the ins and outs.

Today was SAB auditions, though I doubt he'll go.

As for the being away... for the first week, we had WAY too much food in the house. Then for the first week he was back, we had WAY too little. Lol. It was nice. I missed him but... he was having fun and I knew he'd be back. It was just a warm up for later.

Thanks for the scoop on ABT.  

I hope he liked the SAB audition.  Why do you think you doubt he will go?  

3 hours ago, maize said:

Stuff is complicated with lots of kids; even when they are in the same activities they don't necessarily want or need the same thing out of those activities.

I mentioned the upcoming feis (Irish dance competition) today and dd12 said she didn't want to compete. She's already registered because last time I asked she did want to compete.

Turns out she doesn't actually care to compete but is afraid she won't be able to move up in levels if she doesn't. I don't think that is how things work at this dance school and she will probably be just fine moving up without competing.

My sixteen and fourteen year olds are motivated by competition, but not every kid is.

Thanks.  I am glad I found someone who gets it.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the scoop on ABT.  

I hope he liked the SAB audition.  Why do you think you doubt he will go?  

I doubt he’ll get a scholarship. I’ve just never thought it would be right for him. Just a gut feeling. But I’m infamously bad at calling it with auditions. I thought he’d do well for Houston and bomb SFB. Total opposite.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Farrar said:

I doubt he’ll get a scholarship. I’ve just never thought it would be right for him. Just a gut feeling. But I’m infamously bad at calling it with auditions. I thought he’d do well for Houston and bomb SFB. Total opposite.

Fingers crossed for him.   Do you have deadlines soon?  

On 1/26/2020 at 5:31 PM, mommyoffive said:

Can we talk about something else that I hope you guys understand.  How do you get through your kids being gone for 3-6 weeks?  How hard was it the first year you did this?  

My kids had always attended a one-week summer camp (from ages 7 onward). That was initially really hard, but then we acclimated. I missed them like crazy, and I was always dying to see them on pick-up day!

We went straight from that to, at age 12, sending our dancer across the country for an SI for five weeks. That first summer was difficult, but FaceTime and texting helped (although the three hour time difference made communicating tricky). It seemed to drag on and on, but greeting her in the lobby of the ballet school when I arrived for the last few days of observation was a powerful, emotional moment. I’ll never forget it!

Now, she’s done three summers away and is in her second academic year away. We’ve managed to visit every 6-8 weeks (either she comes home for birthday/holiday/break or I fly to her). Thank goodness for cheap flights on Southwest, Spirit, and Frontier! It is still hard, but I see such growth in her and it makes our time together so precious.

So, YES! It’s hard and it isn’t weird for you to miss them like crazy. But, it will likely change them in ways you never expected (for the good!) and will make you appreciate them even more when they get home.

• Like 2

Some minor updates for us:

DD declined SAB yesterday after our email requesting an extension went unanswered. 

PNB granted a one week extension, although they wouldn’t guarantee there would be space available in her level (but I know there must be because their audition tour is still going at that point). Since we don’t need housing, I think we’ll be okay. 

Chautauqua audition is this weekend and they are aware DD is under a deadline and have agreed to “do their best to expedite the process.” I’m very intrigued by CHQ and think it would be a terrific opportunity. DD is worried it won’t be enough dancing if she isn’t cast well. It’s unique in that they perform frequently throughout the summer, thus they spend a lot of time in rehearsals. That’s great if you’re in all the casts/shows, but if not, there could be too much down time. 

The back-up is to remain at MCB this summer. DD is becoming convinced this is the best option. I think a break/variety in training and surroundings would be good for her; she thinks it will disrupt the progress she’s making and even cause her to fall behind. 

Anyone else starting to narrow down your options? What factors are you considering in your decisions?

Edited by fourisenough
Grammar 😊
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2020 at 6:21 AM, fourisenough said:

Some minor updates for us:

Anyone else starting to narrow down your options? What factors are you considering in your decisions?

On 1/27/2020 at 8:20 AM, mommyoffive said:

Fingers crossed for him.   Do you have deadlines soon?  

On 1/26/2020 at 10:12 PM, Farrar said:

On 1/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, maize said:

On 1/26/2020 at 4:57 PM, Farrar said:

BalletBoy has never auditioned for ABT's SI. He has auditioned for ABT for supers roles. He got to be in garland waltz when he was tiny. He says when Washington was

I only quoted you all to make sure you saw this and could help me. Sorry if I forgot anyone!!!

edited to remove:identifying information

Edited to add: he is turning 16 this spring so he only has two summers of SI to do. He has never done any before. 

Please ...anyone at all..please give me advice!

Oh, and complicate it..I had a horrible bad dream last night about the Corona Virus. I get worried about him going to highly populated areas on an airplane. The airplane part is what worries me actually. Is this a concern? I will make a separate post about the Corona Virus. 

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

Please ...anyone at all..please give me advice!

Congratulations to DS! It’s great to have options, even if it does complicate the decision-making! He’s obviously getting good training at home since he’s being admitted to very solid programs.

I am not as familiar with Burklyn, but know most of the other programs at least by reputation. In addition to cost (and we like to look at total cost including transportation to/from home, hotel costs if you need to stay overnight at drop-off/pick-up, food/entertainment costs beyond meal plan, etc), here are some of the things we take into consideration:

1) Exposure to ‘stuff’ your DS doesn’t get at his home studio, things like more partnering, mens’ class, different styles of dance, guest teachers from big companies, career guidance, opportunity to meet new ADs, etc.

2) Number of training hours and styles of dance offered.

3) Whether or not there is a performance at the end of program. This can be a good or bad thing depending on DS’s goals/needs. Some prefer to use all available hours to get great training, viewing time spent in rehearsals as precious time wasted. Others, don’t get to perform as much as they want/need in home studio, so a summer program can be a place to really dance!

4) Fun! 

But, the best advice I’ve received is to follow the money. The fact that someone is willing to dedicate some of their precious scholarship budget to you means they value you and are willing to invest in you. This can go far toward creating a great learning environment. 

Best of luck with your decision!

Edited by fourisenough
Looked at Burklyn— wow! Looks very appealing!
  • Like 2

I need the old willy-nilly emoji!

Feis is tomorrow, but I have been sick all week and didn't get around to feis prep until this afternoon.

At which point we discovered that dd16 has outgrown her solo dress, ds14 has outgrown his black pants, and dd12 can't find her skirt.

I asked dd about the dress weeks ago and she said it still for. But apparently she didn't actually try it on to see.

So.

Dd16 will wear black-out, the other acceptable option--black long-sleeved leotard, black skirt, black tights.

Ds14 has new pants courtesy of WalMart.

Dd12 found she can wear one of dd16's skirts.

Sigh.

We are more or less ready. Wigs for the girls are ready to go. I need to make sure dd12 knows where her shoes are because she is always losing them.

Did I mention it has been a long time since my kids competed?

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, maize said:

I need the old willy-nilly emoji!

Feis is tomorrow, but I have been sick all week and didn't get around to feis prep until this afternoon.

At which point we discovered that dd16 has outgrown her solo dress, ds14 has outgrown his black pants, and dd12 can't find her skirt.

I asked dd about the dress weeks ago and she said it still for. But apparently she didn't actually try it on to see.

So.

Dd16 will wear black-out, the other acceptable option--black long-sleeved leotard, black skirt, black tights.

Ds14 has new pants courtesy of WalMart.

Dd12 find she can wear one of dd17's skirts.

Sigh.

We are more or less ready. Wigs for the girls are ready to go. I need to make sure dd12 knows where her shoes are because she is always losing them.

Did I mention it has been a long time since my kids competed?

OH my.  I could totally see that happening to us!  🙂

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

Congrats!!! Awesome that he got such a great scholarship again this year.   So proud of him.   How long will he be gone for all of that? 

Three weeks in San Francisco. Two weeks in NC for BBSI. BBSI is weird because it's not prestigious but the training is really good and it's this boy ballet secret. We'll see what we think. Families who have done it are really into it.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh.  I thought we had everything figured out, but just found out that the one the oldest was thinking about going to doesn't work well for us.  I wanted to be done with auditions and waiting.  This is so hard.

How else is everyone doing?  Do you have everything figured out? 

It is going poorly here. Burklyn offered him full tuition scholarship, making it very affordable. He says no way to Burklyn. He was happy about it until he got in to the others. I do not think any of his friends have done Burklyn. He audition for them before and did not even get in. That brought the choices down to the 2...CA and CO..CA would be for 3 weeks and CO would be for 2 weeks. I have no clue which way it will go. I wish someone had a magic ball and could tell me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

It is going poorly here. Burklyn offered him full tuition scholarship, making it very affordable. He says no way to Burklyn. He was happy about it until he got in to the others. I do not think any of his friends have done Burklyn. He audition for them before and did not even get in. That brought the choices down to the 2...CA and CO..CA would be for 3 weeks and CO would be for 2 weeks. I have no clue which way it will go. I wish someone had a magic ball and could tell me.

I don't know your options (is that something in Cali and something in Colorado?), but I generally think longer is better if all else is equal. I mean, when we picked SFB, finding a second intensive that was affordable was key because three weeks is not long enough for my dancer - not even close. Does he have a reason for rejecting Burklyn other than social stuff? Like, my dancer rejected a very prestigious offer this year (no scholarship, but one of the biggest prestige programs) because he did not like the audition class instruction or lack of corrections. To me, that was a pretty legit reason to reject an offer.

2 hours ago, Janeway said:

Ugh that is so hard.   Fourisenough gave some really great advice. 

I have never heard of Burklyn before, but I looked at it when you mentioned it.  It sounds great.  Why does he not want to do it?  Just the friends aspect?  Are his friends going to CA or CO? Do his teachers recommend Burklyn?  

Are you leaving it up to him to decide?  Or will it be you and your dh saying this is the option we will pay for?    

These choices are hard, but I am sure he will enjoy and grow at all of them.  Congrats to him for landing scholarships to all of them. 

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

I don't know your options (is that something in Cali and something in Colorado?), but I generally think longer is better if all else is equal. I mean, when we picked SFB, finding a second intensive that was affordable was key because three weeks is not long enough for my dancer - not even close. Does he have a reason for rejecting Burklyn other than social stuff? Like, my dancer rejected a very prestigious offer this year (no scholarship, but one of the biggest prestige programs) because he did not like the audition class instruction or lack of corrections. To me, that was a pretty legit reason to reject an offer.

I think she had said before it was Colorado Ballet and ABT in Cali.

What place did your ds reject?  I do ask them all the time after they audition if they liked the instructor, the class, would want to go there.  Some they love, some are ok, and some are a big no.  I think it is really hard to only judge it on that, but I think that sometimes is the only you can go on once you have researched the programs.

On 1/31/2020 at 2:35 PM, mommyoffive said:

How else is everyone doing?  Do you have everything figured out? 

Well, DD had her Chautauqua audition this afternoon. She LOVED it! Knowing she needed a quick answer, the teacher/director of the program pulled her aside at the end and offered her a spot. She was thrilled and will now need to make a quick decision. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

Well, DD had her Chautauqua audition this afternoon. She LOVED it! Knowing she needed a quick answer, the teacher/director of the program pulled her aside at the end and offered her a spot. She was thrilled and will now need to make a quick decision. 

Wow, that is so cool.  Good luck with the decision. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fourisenough said:

How did the feis go for your dancers? Did everyone have fun?

Dd12 was competing for only the second time, she had been nervous this week but was actually very chill during the feis; she didn't place in most of her dances but took one third and an honerable mention (first time I have seen those at a feis, seemed to be something one of the judges was doing). She is quite content.

Ds14 did great; he's such a quirky kid. There is a new TC at the school who has never seen him compete before; she was worried he wouldn't be focused because he is never, ever focused in class. He is completely different on the competition stage though. Took two firsts, a second, and a third.

Dd16 did not get the placement she wanted and is beating herself up over it; she is a perfectionist and everything is emotionally fraught. I talked with her teachers about getting her into a figure dance for next time, she has always preferred teams to solos.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3