Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I just went back today and read pages and pages back and remembered that he got the free ride to PBT.   Now I am trying to add that to the list of auditions for DS.

I am sorry your dh is out of work.  Following the scholarship money is important to us for DS too, so that his we can pay for his sisters.  🙂   DS got a lot of scholarship offers from the NSIA audition last year.  Definitely saved us so much money.

How did he like SFB?

PBT is infamous for how much $$$ they give to boys. Definitely put it on your son's list. It's also just a great intensive. And the boy culture is cool - they have nearly as many boys as girls most years.

He loved SFB. He had an excellent experience and thought about staying - he felt like he'd likely be offered a year round spot if he wanted. But in the end decided he still wanted to be living at home so I got him back. There's a lot of freedom at SFB, so just be aware. The dorms are swanked out too and the location is insane. Like, so central, right in SF.

Where did you ds go last year?

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Farrar said:

PBT is infamous for how much $$$ they give to boys. Definitely put it on your son's list. It's also just a great intensive. And the boy culture is cool - they have nearly as many boys as girls most years.

He loved SFB. He had an excellent experience and thought about staying - he felt like he'd likely be offered a year round spot if he wanted. But in the end decided he still wanted to be living at home so I got him back. There's a lot of freedom at SFB, so just be aware. The dorms are swanked out too and the location is insane. Like, so central, right in SF.

Where did you ds go last year?

DS went to Nashville and Sarasota last year.  He did 7 weeks last year and wanted to do more.  So hopefully things can work out for him. Odd did the same places last summer.  2dd did Sarasota and Miami City Ballet and 3dd did Miami City Ballet.  He got lots of scholarship offers we just couldn't logistically work out last year.

I wish I would have gone back and read what you said about PBT last year.  I remembered Nashville but not PBT.  Ugh.   And I just looked PBT is the same day as Boston audition in our location and overlapping times.  We already signed up for Boston.

Hmm.  Maybe I need to put SFB back on the list. The reviews that I have read from last year kind of said the area was dicey very close to the Tenderloin district.  I have heard that they do have tons of freedom there.  How old was your ds when he went there?

Edited by mommyoffive

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

DS went to Nashville and Sarasota last year.  He did 7 weeks last year and wanted to do more.  So hopefully things can work out for him. Odd did the same places last summer.  2dd did Sarasota and Miami City Ballet and 3dd did Miami City Ballet.  He got lots of scholarship offers we just couldn't logistically work out last year.

I wish I would have gone back and read what you said about PBT last year.  I remembered Nashville but not PBT.  Ugh.   And I just looked PBT is the same day as Boston audition in our location and overlapping times.  We already signed up for Boston.

Hmm.  Maybe I need to put SFB back on the list. The reviews that I have read from last year kind of said the area was dicey very close to the Tenderloin district.  I have heard that they do have tons of freedom there.  How old was your ds when he went there?

The neighborhood right around SFB is totally fine. It's city, but it's safe. It is, however, just blocks away from some really dicey areas, including the Tenderloin. My understanding is that SF is one of those cities where everything's okay on one block and not on the next one. Ds was there just before he turned 17. He's a city kid - used to navigating our city and public transit alone. 

If you're after money, I'd do the PBT audition unless he's really really good. But Boston does give money too. And they're a superior program in many ways. So it just depends. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

The neighborhood right around SFB is totally fine. It's city, but it's safe. It is, however, just blocks away from some really dicey areas, including the Tenderloin. My understanding is that SF is one of those cities where everything's okay on one block and not on the next one. Ds was there just before he turned 17. He's a city kid - used to navigating our city and public transit alone. 

If you're after money, I'd do the PBT audition unless he's really really good. But Boston does give money too. And they're a superior program in many ways. So it just depends. 

Yeah my kids are not city kids.  Small town USA.  I am thinking he might need a bit more time to get more experience under his belt on his own.  And possibly my ydd.  If that was an option for them at all.

I have no clue if he is really really good.  He has been on a rocky road in  this ballet journey.  We are almost a year in on a good studio, for the first time.  So that and Covid, I don't know.  This year is kind of to gather where he is right now.  The first year he did auditions other than a local place and Ballet Chicago he got into SAB (scholarship), Miami, and ABT, the only auditions he did.  With Covid he has only done a few virtual auditions in 2021 and 2022, and then NSIA last year.  We have no clue or idea where he falls right now.   Thank you for all the advice.  Why do you think Boston is a superior program?

Edited by mommyoffive

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Yeah my kids are not city kids.  Small town USA.  I am thinking he might need a bit more time to get more experience under his belt on his own.  And possibly my ydd.  If that was an option for them at all.

I have no clue if he is really really good.  He has been on a rocky road in  this ballet journey.  We are almost a year in on a good studio, for the first time.  So that and Covid, I don't know.  This year is kind of to gather where he is right now.  The first year he did auditions other than a local place and Ballet Chicago he got into SAB (scholarship), Miami, and ABT.  With Covid he has only done a few virtual auditions and then NSIA last year.  We have no clue or idea where he falls right now.   Thank you for all the advice.  Why do you think Boston is a superior program?

It's just a superior ballet on paper. Could be better or worse for any individual student, of course.

Adding that I have no clue about how to assess these things either. I never would have predicted that BalletBoy would get this far.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Farrar said:

It's just a superior ballet on paper. Could be better or worse for any individual student, of course.

Adding that I have no clue about how to assess these things either. I never would have predicted that BalletBoy would get this far.

Gotcha.  

Yeah I have no idea what I am doing or what the path will be going forward.  Thank you for sharing your son's path because it is helpful to a dance mom that has zero experience in the dance world.  Good luck to him this audition season. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What auditions is your dd doing this year?

She decided to stick with local auditions in the first couple of weeks in January and see what happens. If she those don’t work out, she can try more auditions later. 

No NSIA audition—it is too far away.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

She decided to stick with local auditions in the first couple of weeks in January and see what happens. If she those don’t work out, she can try more auditions later. 

No NSIA audition—it is too far away.

Good luck to your dd. I hope she has a great audition season.  Has she gone away before?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What change are you referring to? My dancing daughter says there are lots of changes in people at lots of ballet programs in the US, at the company, second company, and school level. I don’t know enough to tell if it is normal reshuffling of people and we are just noticing it because of myDD’s stage in life, or if it really is an extreme amount of reshuffling.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

What change are you referring to? My dancing daughter says there are lots of changes in people at lots of ballet programs in the US, at the company, second company, and school level. I don’t know enough to tell if it is normal reshuffling of people and we are just noticing it because of myDD’s stage in life, or if it really is an extreme amount of reshuffling.

Balancing Hope With Departures at the Washington Ballet - WCP (washingtoncitypaper.com)

I know that changes happen often at big companies.  Not sure if this is bigger than normal.  

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Balancing Hope With Departures at the Washington Ballet - WCP (washingtoncitypaper.com)

I know that changes happen often at big companies.  Not sure if this is bigger than normal.  

It's big news here, yes. Washington has only ever had three AD's, believe it or not. There's been a lot of politicking. It's also just huge ballet news nationally. She's an enormous name. It has also meant a pretty big reshuffle for Houston, obviously.

I don't even know. I could write an essay on how frustrated I am with my kid's management of his own career. But... whatever. Every time I think he's going to leave it, he comes home and just absolutely gushes over something. He's doing Diana and Actaeon this summer and he's psyched. Here's a fun kooky fact about my kid... he knows every single male variation in the entire classical ballet canon now. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

I’m still a dance parent. Nutcracker feels like ancient history now. Audition season is underway, but DD is mostly handling that on her own again.

My main involvement now is helping out with costumes. Our studio has required volunteer hours for being in performances. I have a dozen years of helping out with costumes behind me, and four more months ahead of me. 

@Kuovonne Good luck to your dd this audition season.  And yes Nutcracker seems like a million years ago.  I feel like once that is over the Christmas season is too.  Which was fine when we were at a place that still did shows the day after Christmas, but the last few years they are at a place that gets done with Nutcracker a week before.  

Are you working on costumes for a spring show already?

Audition season is in full swing for my dancers.  Exciting and stressful. Just got one great offer today so that eases things.