Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

DD has chosen to attend Chautauqua for this summer. They made it easy by offering a generous scholarship. Since it was already the most affordable program we were looking at AND they offer many performance opportunities, it seems like a perfect fit for her needs for this summer. Bring on the UN-air-conditioned dorms and 11-hour days!

Edited by fourisenough
DD, not DS. I don’t event have any sons!
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, fourisenough said:

DS has chosen to attend Chautauqua for this summer. They made it easy by offering a generous scholarship. Since it was already the most affordable program we were looking at AND they offer many performance opportunities, it seems like a perfect fit for her needs for this summer. Bring on the UN-air-conditioned dorms and 11-hour days!

Congrats to your DD!  That is awesome that she got a great scholarship!  11 hour days oh my!   It all worked out and that is great.  I  hope she has a great summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Congrats to your DD!  That is awesome that she got a great scholarship!  11 hour days oh my!   It all worked out and that is great.  I  hope she has a great summer. 

Thanks! How are you and your kids? Still auditioning? Waiting for results? Make any decisions yet?

I do really think it helps to know others are in the same boat! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2020 at 1:26 AM, kiwik said:

Just rereading.  We made it through.  I have found one dance place where you can either enrol in an exam class (who don't do a show)  or a open class (they do a show and practice in class).  They still only have one class a week but dancing for him is PE and discipline not becoming a dancer.  I think two would be better as my experience is that is the minimum to make progress but it is what it is.  The way it is structured all the ballet is one night, all the tap the next etc so doing a lower level class wouldn't help.  Anyway he is going to trial a couple of classes and see what he thinks of the teacher.  He did love the show though but it was so draining.

But it was a dreadful fit for a child with ASD so we will stick with the show and hope it is easier this year.

• Like 1

Our school is still running classes for now. It's a really small school so I think it would be fine to continue with classes even if the schools close (which they haven't yet). Just isn't that many people to be exposed to.

I'm more concerned about our martial arts dojo--lots more people and the owners so far are not taking coronavirus at all seriously. They've got a tournament in a couple of weeks as well. And we do have a handful of coronavirus cases in our area.

Saint Patrick's Day performances coming up!

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

We're still running. They are doing deep cleaning and wiping the barres and doors between absolutely every class. They used to wipe everything daily and deep clean weekly, so that's a change. There is at least one student who was there after possible exposure, but looks like she did not get it.

My dancer is really worried. This is a pretty key age for him. He can't easily afford to be off dance for several months. Did folks see that SAB shut down for more than a month starting this week? PNB is also closed. In some ideal world, we would shut up shop for all the kids below level 4 for sure and maybe below level 6. Let the top level and the trainees keep dancing until they shut down the company. The other kids have a longer frame of time to get back in shape if they end up taking a break. These kids who are 16 and up are on the cusp of companies and so forth. If they stop, they're screwed.

Company performances of Swan Lake will go on until the Kennedy Center says they're shut down. But I think that may happen, honestly. It's very bad for the financial health of the company.

Of course, I say all that but I'm also like, cancel everything. Shut it all down. Flatten the curve. So. I do get it. I just feel for my kid and his professional goals.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Farrar said:

We're still running. They are doing deep cleaning and wiping the barres and doors between absolutely every class. They used to wipe everything daily and deep clean weekly, so that's a change. There is at least one student who was there after possible exposure, but looks like she did not get it.

My dancer is really worried. This is a pretty key age for him. He can't easily afford to be off dance for several months. Did folks see that SAB shut down for more than a month starting this week? PNB is also closed. In some ideal world, we would shut up shop for all the kids below level 4 for sure and maybe below level 6. Let the top level and the trainees keep dancing until they shut down the company. The other kids have a longer frame of time to get back in shape if they end up taking a break. These kids who are 16 and up are on the cusp of companies and so forth. If they stop, they're screwed.

Company performances of Swan Lake will go on until the Kennedy Center says they're shut down. But I think that may happen, honestly. It's very bad for the financial health of the company.

Of course, I say all that but I'm also like, cancel everything. Shut it all down. Flatten the curve. So. I do get it. I just feel for my kid and his professional goals.

Did SAB and PNB shut down their shows or their schools? 

We have had about a dozen Irish dance performances cancelled. Not too surprising under the circumstances. The nursing homes were the first to cancel. 

My dancer (15) is really hoping that classes continue despite this round of performances not happening, but we haven't heard anything from the school about. There is a class scheduled for tonight. We will see. The kid and I both have asthma, which makes it more worrisome. I have been brainstorming about how to make/find an acceptable training area if classes are cancelled. As I write this, I think I want the school to announce a break so I don't have to be the bad guy, being the one to keep my kid home.

The world championship competition is scheduled for early next month, in Dublin, but is very likely to be cancelled or postponed. So far they just announced that they will make an announcement by this weekend. We would not be going, my dancer is not at that level, but more than a dozen kids at the school had been planning to go.  

• Like 2

Starting to worry about DS's competition season. We have two regionals and nationals in June that we're wondering if we'll be going. So far the studio is business as normal, but we started hearing rumors this week of different competition companies making adjustments.  AFAIK, no one has actually cancelled any yet, but I feel like we're just getting going with Covid closures and cancellations.

DD comes home for spring break on Friday indefinitely.  They extended spring break through to a second week and after that they can expect online classes.  No clue what that means for all the performing arts.  In one e-mail they're discussing the next few weeks and then we see an add for a performance coming up in two weeks.  Not sure those performances can happen if no one is on campus...

• Like 1

Farrar~ do you have a link for SAB closing?  I couldn't find anything on that.   DS is heading there this summer.  I have reached out to them and not heard anything on how they will handle it.  I am concerned on making final payments with this going on.   Will our money be refunded? 

4 hours ago, slackermom said:

We have had about a dozen Irish dance performances cancelled. Not too surprising under the circumstances. The nursing homes were the first to cancel. 

My dancer (15) is really hoping that classes continue despite this round of performances not happening, but we haven't heard anything from the school about. There is a class scheduled for tonight. We will see. The kid and I both have asthma, which makes it more worrisome. I have been brainstorming about how to make/find an acceptable training area if classes are cancelled. As I write this, I think I want the school to announce a break so I don't have to be the bad guy, being the one to keep my kid home.

The world championship competition is scheduled for early next month, in Dublin, but is very likely to be cancelled or postponed. So far they just announced that they will make an announcement by this weekend. We would not be going, my dancer is not at that level, but more than a dozen kids at the school had been planning to go.  

I hadn't thought about World's  coming up! We're also not at that level but my dd has friends from our old school who were planning to go. Cancelling seems like the only reasonable choice.

Our St. Patrick's day performances are just at local elementary schools, I don't expect them to be cancelled unless the schools close.

• Like 1

The organizers for the CLRG Irish worlds event have posted an update that basically says they are waiting on an official govt action that requires them to cancel, in order to ensure people have a better case for refunds on flights and hotels, etc, and so the organization can avoid having to voluntarily renege on its contracts.

The emails about local St Patrick's Day cancellations keep coming in. The latest is a church event. After all the nursing homes cancelled, next came parades, union halls, a senior social center, and libraries. I think the only ones left on the schedule are bars and the Ancient Order of Hibernians dinner.

Last year my kid ended up with an ankle fracture during the first regular dance class right after all the St Patrick's Day events, so maybe not doing 15+ performances on random crappy floors over the course of 2 weeks is a good thing. 

• Like 1

Posted on  SAB website ,

Spring Break
Extension Announcement

The School of American Ballet will be implementing an extended Spring Break beginning the week of March 15 for all Winter Term students. Classes are scheduled to resume at the end of the previously scheduled Spring Break on April 20. During this time frame, the school’s onsite residence hall will close with all resident students returning home.

There are no pending or confirmed cases of Coronavirus in the SAB community at this time. SAB is taking this step out of an abundance of caution given the continued spread of the virus in the New York metropolitan area.

During the March 15-April 19 Spring Break, SAB’s administrative offices will remain open, with staff working both remotely and onsite. Additional programming, such as Spring Auditions for 6-10 year olds, will remain on our schedule during this period, although we will continuously review our plans in light of current events. Company Auditions for Ballet West, Ballet Austin, State Street Ballet, and Los Angeles Ballet remain on our rental schedule, and no changes are planned for SAB’s summer programs taking place in late June, July and August.

My response from SAB about their summer programs that I was emailed today.

I appreciate your question about the schools measures around the coronavirus and understand your concern. We’ve been monitoring the news closely and while we do not anticipate cancellation of any of our summer programs, if such an unlikely event were to occur we would of course refund the fees you have paid. 

• Like 2

My 11 yo dd is just a recreational dancer but somehow, this spring, she has ended up involved with three studios/ productions. Only one of the three has canceled. 

One is a weekend company that brings together students from studios all around to put on two shows a year. They are working on this year’s show which is still scheduled for April 4. They have not cancelled but I really think they will end up having to cancel the whole thing. I feel like our risk is small. Dd is only there one hour a week and she should be able to wash up well and we wouldn’t hang around. I’d stay in the car. But I do wish they would just cancel. Our area is not hard hit but of course I think it is everywhere. We are not high risk but I am very aware of our ability to spread it. But- if she skips out she will likely not be able to be cast again in this company. So while the activity doesn’t seem worth it, it is hard to just quit.

Another studio she is involved with is a tiny start up studio. Maybe less than 20 kids total and my dd takes a private lesson. Just her and the teacher. The teacher is assuring all kinds of sanitation between classes and it is very possible to stay six feet apart. We don’t even see any other people going in and out. I feel comfortable continuing this and I’m pretty sure the studio would go under if she had to close for awhile. So we’ll continue this as long as we are well and her teacher is. 

The other studio is huge. They have cancelled for a week (even though schools are cancelled for the next two) and they say they will re-evaluate every week. I expect them just to stay shut down. No idea what that means for all the recital /costume fees already paid and ordered. I’m glad this one closed. Hundreds of people in and out and a large percentage of kids are brought by their grandparents. But, poor dd was supposed to test for pointe shoes this week and has been counting down the days. So that probably won’t happen this year now. In the scheme of what our family has lost in all these closures the pointe shoes is the least of it but of course it is sad for dd. 

Dance is about the only thing we are involved in that hasn’t completely shut down. 

We got an email reminder that dance class was still happening this weekend, despite all the St Patrick's Day show cancellations, and then a couple hours later we got another email telling us that we would not have class after all, this week or next, and stay tuned for updates.

The school has class in about a dozen locations throughout the week, but none are owned by the school, and most of the locations are being closed down (church halls, school gyms, etc).

• Like 2

DS is at class today for the last time for a while.  The studio will be closed at the end of business today for two weeks.  Right now the tentative back-to-class date is the 30th.  We had a spring break coming up, so they just decided to add to it and start it a week early. Though, usually over spring break they have open pilates/technique drop in classes, and this time there will be none.  Over the next few days we're cleaning up the basement so the kids have a place to dance and keep limber.  It needs to warm up outside though because DS cannot work on his leaps and turns in the house.  We don't have ceilings high enough for that!

Our competition scheduled for the first weekend in April is still on the schedule, however, the company has cancelled their events for the month of March and has said they are waiting to make a determination about April until some time has passes.  

• Like 1

Just now, mommyoffive said:

Me too. 

OMG. Glad I'm not alone.

Our house is not configured for any of this stuff. Basement is industrial carpeting. Upstairs is tight and all very old wooden floors. I can't afford to buy like an actual marley floor, but I was thinking of putting some soft laminate downstairs on top of the basement carpet.

My dancer is dueling his twin for that space too. Like, his brother has it permanently set up for VR. He's like a top rated Beat Saber player or something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farrar said:

OMG. Glad I'm not alone.

Our house is not configured for any of this stuff. Basement is industrial carpeting. Upstairs is tight and all very old wooden floors. I can't afford to buy like an actual marley floor, but I was thinking of putting some soft laminate downstairs on top of the basement carpet.

My dancer is dueling his twin for that space too. Like, his brother has it permanently set up for VR. He's like a top rated Beat Saber player or something.

I was just going to ask what your dancers are going to do while this is going on.   We do have some marley from when our studio moved.  I guess we could put it on top of the carpet in the basement?  Or do something better than that? 

Are there good places for online classes?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Farrar said:

OMG. Glad I'm not alone.

I have short pile carpet which should of been OK but with 7 mm laminate I ended up laying 12 mm ply underneath to stop the laminate bending.  If you can transport a full sheet it shouldn't need nailing down. Mine had to be cut so I had to nail it to my floor.

• Thanks 1

Maybe your school is doing some training some how.   But if not

https://www.pointemagazine.com/online-dance-classes-2645469130.html

After the success of yesterday's class, New York City Ballet star Tiler Peck is back. She recently wrote on Instagram that she'll be teaching class everyday. Stay tuned for updates.

Where: @tilerpeck Live

When: Tuesday, March 17 at 10 am PST/1 pm EST

Alison Stroming has just added her voice to the conversation. The former Dance Theatre of Harlem member and model is teaching an all-levels class, including barre and center, today.

Where: @alisonstroming Live

When: Tuesday, March 17 at 2 pm PST/5 pm EST

Leotard brand Dancewear Royale is hosting a series of teachers on its Instagram account. And better yet, they're posting the classes to IGTV, so you can check them out anytime. Yesterday, Cervilio Amador taught a Cuban style class, and earlier today Joseph Gatti taught using the Gatti Method. Stay tuned to see who they'll bring on board for tomorrow.

Where: @dancewearroyal IGTV

When: Available anytime!

Ashley Bouder is giving us an extra treat: live-streamed classes every day this week. Plus, the NYCB principal is saving the classes to her YouTube channel, so you can come back to them later.

Where: Ashley Bouder on YouTube

When: Monday, March 16-Friday, March 20 at 11 am EST

Cary Ballet Conservatory professional training program director Mariaelena Ruiz is live-streaming a class from North Carolina on Tuesday. To add a dash of Saint Patrick's Day spirit, she's asking participants to wear green, and post a photo of themselves on Instagram with the tag @caryballet.

Where: @caryballet Live

When: Tuesday, March 17 at 11 am EST

NYC Community Ballet opened up its advanced ballet classes, taught by a rotating list of pros, to the public via Zoom. This week's schedule includes Bethany Mitchell, Michelle Thompson Ulerich and Tyler Schnese. You can check out the full month's listing here.

Where: Zoom. Email nycommunityballet@gmail for details.

When: Tuesday, March 17 and Friday, March 30 from 10:30 am-12 pm EST, and Saturday, March 21 from 2-4 pm

Los Angeles–based dancer Patricia Zhou taught her first class via Instagram Live today, and just announced that she'll be continuing daily for the foreseeable future.

Where: @patricia_zhou Live or on IGTV

When: Daily at 10 am PST/1 pm EST

"Trust me," wrote Houston Ballet principal Chun Wai Chan on Instagram. "I am an expert at taking ballet class at home." Chan will be offering class this Wednesday.

Where: @chunner Live

When: Wednesday, March 18, 11am-12:30 pm CST/12-1:30 pm EST

Want to take this time to work one-on-one with a ballet star? American Ballet Theatre principal Sarah Lane is offering virtual private lessons or group classes for students and young professionals.

Where: Direct message @saralaneofficial

When: Anytime!

Ever wondered what it's like to take class at The Juilliard School? Now you can find out. Juilliard dance director (and former Dance Theatre of Harlem and Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater star) Alicia Graf Mack is giving barre online on Juilliard's Instagram.

Where: @juilliardschool

When: Available now!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We built a full ballet studio in our house (marley over sprung flooring, barres, mirrors, etc.) a few years ago when our DD was seriously planning to pursue a professional career (she has since changed her mind). Now that her studio has closed, she is really wishing that she could invite her classmates over to do class, but I won’t allow it because we are following strict isolation rules. 🙁  I feel badly about it, but it doesn’t seem advisable to allow it. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, edelweiss said:

We built a full ballet studio in our house (marley over sprung flooring, barres, mirrors, etc.) a few years ago when our DD was seriously planning to pursue a professional career (she has since changed her mind). Now that her studio has closed, she is really wishing that she could invite her classmates over to do class, but I won’t allow it because we are following strict isolation rules. 🙁  I feel badly about it, but it doesn’t seem advisable to allow it. 

How cool.   That is nice of your dd, but I think you are right.  A dance teacher reached out to set up privates, but right now I just don't think it is a good idea. 

• Like 1

Cincinnati Ballet: We know this is a stressful time for us all. Cincinnati Ballet will be offering online/remote classes and tutorials for our Otto M. Budig Academy students, professional dancers, and patrons. Stay tuned for more on schedule and access options. We will have more info shortly! We will also be sharing performance and rehearsal archive videos to enjoy during these challenging times. In the meantime, enjoy a "living room" ballet class taught by Principal Dancer Cervilio Miguel Amador this morning from our studios. He is one of several professional dancers providing free remote classes through @dancewearroyale on instagram. 

• Like 1

There were lots of virtual St Patrick's Day shows posted online today. At least one kid from our school danced in the driveway of a nursing home, for the benefit of a grandparent inside.

Our Irish dance school urged us not to get the kids together outside of dance class. Instead, they are putting together an online video library of the school's senior dancers performing various steps for everyone to use at home. Earlier this year they developed a pretty comprehensive fitness routine for the kids to do in and out of class (jump-roping, etc), and they provided handouts that they can use.  Also, the teacher is requesting that we send her 2-3 short videos from at-home practice and she will provide feedback. 

We don't have a proper dance area really, but my 15yo is dancing wherever. Like today, outside the laundry room in our condo complex. We also retrieved a piece of shower pan liner from storage. It is not quite as good as marley, but is not bad as a top layer to roll out on top of a wood floor and cost about $30 for a 5-8 piece. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Great idea.  Let us know how it works out. 

The mid-level Studio by our house is doing zoom lessons and they started immediately after closing.  DS was in the first class to have an online class and it turned out awesome - even with the class being full of 3/4-year olds.  They said in an email that for older students it will be a ton of basic technique and conditioning and stretching.

the teacher could see all of the students, they students could see the teacher, there was two-way talking available and I think it would be a good way for regular classes to keep in shape -  especially if the teacher already knows the kids and knows how to correct them   Idk, my opinion   

Interesting to me that the “big, fancy” studio where ds takes ballet is just straight letting everybody under level 3 take three weeks off before they decide.  I’m not complaining as it fits in with their general mentality and style, just interesting to me.  

• Like 1

Some more people teaching classes

Everyone's favorite ballet duo just announced they'll be teaching a joint class today. Tune in for barre with American Ballet Theatre principals James Whiteside and Isabella Boylston.

Where: @jamesbwhiteside LIVE or @isabellaboylston LIVE

When: Wednesday, March 18 at 1:30 pm EST/10:30 am PST

You might know ballet teacher Mary Carpenter from her popular YouTube channel, Dancewithmary NYC. Carpenter has just announced that she'll be teaching a live class later this week on Facebook LIVE.

Where: @dancewithmarynyc LIVE

When: Friday, March 20 at 1 pm EST/10 am PST

Italian dancer Camilla Mancuso, formerly a member of Hungarian National Ballet, is now posting her daily classes on Instagram. Join in with Mancuso live from Rome, where she's currently quarantined.

Where: @_camillamancuso Live

When: Daily at 4 pm CET/11 am EST

My daughter did the ballet duo class today and enjoyed it.  We have no space for her to do off the bar stuff, unfortunately.  We are really worried the summer intensives will be cancelled!  She found a Sprinkles Cupcake in Houston to visit if it happens.

• 2 weeks later...