Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

On 2/4/2021 at 8:41 PM, mom2scouts said:

Dance parents, does this kind of thing happen at your studio and, if so, what do you suppose causes it:

My dd has danced at the same studio since she was 3. It's a fairly large studio for our area, is well respected, and has been around for a long time. It has amazing professional recitals, the teachers are hardworking and respectful, and the dance training is decent. In the past few years we've had several dancers go on to professional careers in NYC and LA and several with full college dance scholarships. Anyway, every few years a large group of the most dedicated dancers, those who were competition team members or danced many hours, leave the studio and show up at other studios. They are often around middle school age. I know that many kids move on to other activities at that age, but I'm talking about those who still dance. It's not like they've outgrown the studio and are going for higher dance training, as many of the studios they move to would not be considered a step up in dance training. I know the reason some of the dancers have left. Our studio doesn't do solos at competitions (only group dances) and some want solos and move to studios that will allow them to do that. One girl left because her group of dance friends dumped her and, while the studio could prevent outright unkindness, they couldn't really stop the more subtle girl bullying, so the girl and her sister went to another studio. Some move because their best friend from the studio is going somewhere else, so they move too. Then there's all these dancers who don't seem to fit into any of these categories who all seem to go to different studios around the same time.

Is this "grass is greener" syndrome? Maybe they want to be the big fish in a smaller pond? Do parents and/or kids just want something new or a new start at that age? Is this the time when they think they'll develop more by dancing under different teachers? Is the honeymoon period at a new studio, when they think it's perfect and everything the old studio isn't, what they need to refresh their love of dance? Any or all of these?

I'm always trying to understand why people do what they do and this is one of those things I've seen happen several times and I just can't figure it out.

Here it's absolutely a dancer hoping that a move will make them a star.  We see it most often with those dancers who aren't quite good enough to make the elite level, and after two years of trying out for a higher level and getting stuck, they move to a studio where their top level teams are on par with our mid-level teams.  Sometimes it works out, sometimes not so much.  

• Like 1

We just got home from our first competition since last March.  It was... not normal.  It was very nice to see my son dance again, but pandemic dance competitions are really just mini dance recitals apparently.  Our studio danced in a block of time from 7:45 am until 11:30, and then we cleared out so the space could be sanitized and readied for the next studio to start at 1:30. Lather, rinse, repeat.   There will be a virtual awards ceremony on Sunday after everyone has danced.    The dancers were allowed to have up to two people present to watch, and of course we were all spread out and socially distanced and wearing our masks.  

The kids were allowed to dance without masks, but they had tables side stage for all the dancers to keep a ziploc baggie that their mask went in-and-out as soon as they were done dancing.  This was a lovely idea except that the kids have been dancing WITH a mask on for months.  They've adjusted their breathing accordingly, and this didn't go so well for anyone.  DS said it was a struggle that none of them expected.  He expects they'll be wearing masks for the next competition in March. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, kiwik said:

Maybe your studio is encouraging those they see as "less serious or less worthy" dancers to leave at that age 

That doesn't make sense though. These are the most serious dancers and the ones who get the most attention. The competition dancers usually get the best spots and the extras in the recital and have opportunities that more recreational dancers in the studio don't get.

5 hours ago, mom2scouts said:

That doesn't make sense though. These are the most serious dancers and the ones who get the most attention. The competition dancers usually get the best spots and the extras in the recital and have opportunities that more recreational dancers in the studio don't get.

I was thinking more what Lady Marmalade said but with some studio encouragement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone ever leave a school (studio) because it wasn't the right fit for your dancer?  What  made you do it?  Was it the right choice looking back? 

This choice is so difficult when you have multiple kids.  But we have had a lot of signs, but stuff keeps happening.  There has been a lot of stuff.  I am not sure when you say enough is enough.  And to make it more difficult, it feels like it is a good place for some of my kids, but not others. 

What has everyone decided for summer programs? Or are you still deciding?

My DD will stay at Miami for the first 4 of the 5 weeks (we had to pay for the full program, naturally), and then will go to Chautauqua. They offered all admitted students full scholarships this year, which makes it financially affordable. Chautauqua is planning for two full performances in their outdoor amphitheater during the 4-week program and my DD is dying to get back on stage, so that’s why we’re willing to double-up this summer. So, she’ll get 8-weeks of training with (fingers-crossed, pandemic conditions allowing) 2 shows. 

This will only leave 2-3 weeks for college application ‘boot camp’ at the end of August, so it will be another full summer for her!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Did anyone ever leave a school (studio) because it wasn't the right fit for your dancer?  What  made you do it?  Was it the right choice looking back? 

This choice is so difficult when you have multiple kids.  But we have had a lot of signs, but stuff keeps happening.  There has been a lot of stuff.  I am not sure when you say enough is enough.  And to make it more difficult, it feels like it is a good place for some of my kids, but not others. 

I've had kids at two different dance schools at times because of different needs (i.e. some children with one school, some with another.)

Edited by maize
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

We’ve definitely left a dance studio (and, similarly, a barn for my equestrian), but I only had one dancer (and rider) to consider.  I guess it comes down to meeting the needs of your neediest child. If current studio is a bad fit (not just a not ideal fit) for at least one child, I’d consider moving them all. I suppose you could split them, but that becomes logistically complicated. 

• Like 1

I had two dancers at one point and one was very serious (the now 13-year old) and one danced only for fun and exercise (the now 20-year old who is studying to become a physicist). They danced at different studios and they needed different things. My younger dancer was at the "best" local ballet studio with a "pre-professional" program (though in the time we were there no one made it straight from the studio to a contract). My older dancer was at a much less serious, less ballet focused studio and enjoyed taking lots of styles of dance and getting to perform and compete.

This school year, we left the studio my 13-year old had been at since she was six or seven. There were a number of reasons we left, and so far it feels like the right decision. I'm sure there are people who think we were crazy to leave as she was definitely the studio darling getting all the solo roles for her level for the whole time she was there, which made relationships with some of her classmates a challenge. Not to get into too many details, but the studio was harder (in a not always healthy way) on the kids who they felt had real potential, and it ended up messing with her head. She is now so much happier and rediscovering her love of dancing. I think we know where she will land in the fall, but even if the place we think she will go doesn't work out, she has no desire to go back to where she was. 

As for summer, she is trying the intensive at the local studio where we think we want to send her in the fall. On the surface, it's not as "good" of a studio as her old studio, but their virtual classes have been doing wonders for her self confidence and love of dance, so we are hoping she likes it enough to want to go there in the fall. We are in an area where she is likely going to have to go away for training at some point if she wants a chance to make it professionally, so being at a "less prestigious" studio isn't as much of an issue as it would be if we had a local studio that was training professional dancers.

Good luck finding the best fit for each of your dancers!

• Like 1

We left a studio that, in hindsight, was downright abusive to BalletBoy. I still get angry when I think about it. The studio has since changed directors and I hear better things, but they were so bad. The culture was so toxic. I kept chocking it up to "but ballet is like that." I have been floored over the last couple of years at how much more kind, supportive, and growth-mindset oriented the more professional studio has been. Zero regrets other than having not left sooner. This studio believes in my kid. The old studio's whole goal was to tear my kid down.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

My daughter has been at two studios and they have been wonderful.   It is not always clear who the directors think the best dancers are -- the kids all know, but they are all pushed equally.  They try their best to make corrections for everyone, they cycle students in and out of roles pretty fairly, and most importantly they just foster the sense that everyone is there to support each other.  

It's nice being able to listen in on the classes -- right now my daughter has two main ballet teachers (husband and wife) and the husband is ALWAYS encouraging, while the wife is much stricter.  BUT all the corrections are followed with enthusiasm  when the student gets it right and there is always chit chat before and after just to see how the kids are doing.  You can tell how much they care.

This summer we weren't really going to do much, with all the housing that seemed to be disappearing.  So my daughter applied to ABT virtual (and got in) and at the last minute applied to Richmond Ballet.  Her best East Coast friend is going and her mother crazily and generously offered to put my dd up for the whole time and transport her.  So fingers crossed for that one -- the girls would be in HEAVEN.  5 weeks with their best friend!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Update, my daughter got accepted to Richmond, so she will be heading there for five weeks this summer.  She is beyond excited -- not only will she get to do something in person, but she will be with her best friend for five weeks.  I am so excited for her! 

Edited by SanDiegoMom
edited months to weeks!
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, SanDiegoMom said:

Update, my daughter got accepted to Richmond, so she will be heading there for five weeks this summer.  She is beyond excited -- not only will she get to do something in person, but she will be with her best friend for five months.  I am so excited for her! 

Awww that is such great news.  Congrats to her.  I hope she has a great summer. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/31/2020 at 10:49 PM, Farrar said:

Three weeks in San Francisco. Two weeks in NC for BBSI. BBSI is weird because it's not prestigious but the training is really good and it's this boy ballet secret. We'll see what we think. Families who have done it are really into it.

Did your son end up going to BBSI last year?

• 6 months later...

Long time no see.  What has everyone been up to since July?

Is your kid (s) still dancing?   What did they do over summer?  Have they had any shows or competitions since summer?  How did they go? 

How is your school or studio handling the surge of covid cases right now? 

Anyone auditioning for summer programs? 

Any exciting updates for your dancer (s) in the last few months?

• Like 1

Hello! Indeed it has been a long time! My dancer is wrapping up her senior year and final year of dance training at Miami City Ballet. For the first time since 2017, she is not auditioning for SIs; it feels so weird! She has college applications submitted (with 6 admits and 8 decisions still pending) as a non-dance major. She may continue dancing at a few of the schools as a dance minor, but for the most part, she is ready to move on and focus on other things. It’s been an amazing journey and she certainly had some great stories to tell in her essays and interviews, so hopefully her ballet training will serve her well even though she is choosing not to pursue dance professionally. 

MCBS has been open for in-person dance training since June of 2020. They’ve just recently had an outbreak of Covid cases, but never closed the doors. Students have just had additional testing requirements. It seems like it has been handled well, for the most part.

Hope everyone is hanging in there right now. How are your dancing kids? Plans for summer?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Our dancer has been doing in-person auditions for Summer Intensives.  She now has several acceptance notifications and we need to figure out which one she is going to attend.  I am kind of annoyed because I feel like the websites are not giving real information about living situation, vax status requirement/recommendation, testing requirement/recommendation, masking requirement/recommendation and are basically pretending like it does not exist.  However, I know for a fact that they do know it exists as some are located in cities that are in the news about local/state requirements. So, yeah.  Several are not saying anything about even the cost of housing - am I to take that to mean there is NO housing provided, or just what?? It is frustrating because I feel like if they would give out the info, we could then make decisions and move forward.  But without the info, I’m not sure how to move forward.

• Like 3

No auditions for SI. Kid is staying local for the first time. He continues to do pretty well at Washington. Had his first "company" level role in Nut. And - his words - in the final performance where I saw him, he was really popping off. He was in a giant mask, so I had no idea which one was him except by counting. Okay, one rat, two, three, fourth rat. And then he did this leap that was like... holy crap. That one. That one! That is my kid!? In a few weeks, he also has a tiny company role in Swan Lake at the Kennedy Center.

Lots of transition angst here though. Will he want to stay with ballet long term? Plans have changed several times. He's graduating, taking a gap year where he'll continue to train but also apply to colleges, just not for dance. And then he'll decide. Eeek. What he says and what he will actually do are a bit at odds. So we'll see.

As for Covid... Don't even ask about the ******** that was backstage at Nutcracker. I don't want to make the company look bad. And suffice it to say... they would. But the show went on. Somehow they kept enough cast up there to pull it off. And miracle of miracles, my dancer never got Covid. And I feel pretty sure of that because at the height of Nut, he was getting 2x PCR's a week and a rapid test every day. Cases have plummeted here. Dance never shut down.

If any of our dance families consider Washington Ballet for summer, send me a pm. We have a basement Airbnb and I've thought about renting it for SI specifically for young folks who don't want to do their housing. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

DD is preparing for Cecchetti ballet exams, so she's doing lots of extra ballet classes. She started on pointe this year and LOVES it. We've never done summer intensives, so no auditions for us. The dance department at the university near us is doing a master class as a recruiting tool next weekend and she signed up. She probably won't be a dance major, but would consider it as a minor. She's taking tap, jazz, and acro classes too and considering whether she wants to audition for next year's competition team.

• Like 1

My DS has retired. 

After years of being bullied by the very girls who count on him as a partner, he decided he wasn't spending his senior year in a toxic situation.  So he quit. He decided he didn't want to dance for a career after all, so there was no point in spending all the $$$ for a final season of dance.

Nutcracker was harder for me to watch than it should have been, maybe.  He would have been the Cavalier this year.  His solo would have won awards at competition season.  And he legit could have made it as a pro in no time at all.

But he is happy now and he's not just putting on a happy face to please his teachers and his mom.  He misses the teachers more than anything.  A few of them he's been with for most of his life and not having that regular interaction with them has been different.  

Interestingly, after he quit one of the male teachers at his studio commended him for deciding to be happy instead of muddling through, and then promptly turned in his own two week notice!  

I always wondered how those moms of seniors could let their kids make a different choice for their senior year and then it happened to me.  If I had known the last time I saw him dance was going to be the last time I saw him dance, I might have soaked in the moment a bit more.  Now I'm just super proud of him for recognizing just how much those girls affected his happiness and making a better choice for himself.  

• Like 10

10 minutes ago, Lady Marmalade said:

My DS has retired. 

After years of being bullied by the very girls who count on him as a partner, he decided he wasn't spending his senior year in a toxic situation.  So he quit. He decided he didn't want to dance for a career after all, so there was no point in spending all the $$$ for a final season of dance.

Nutcracker was harder for me to watch than it should have been, maybe.  He would have been the Cavalier this year.  His solo would have won awards at competition season.  And he legit could have made it as a pro in no time at all.

But he is happy now and he's not just putting on a happy face to please his teachers and his mom.  He misses the teachers more than anything.  A few of them he's been with for most of his life and not having that regular interaction with them has been different.  

Interestingly, after he quit one of the male teachers at his studio commended him for deciding to be happy instead of muddling through, and then promptly turned in his own two week notice!  

I always wondered how those moms of seniors could let their kids make a different choice for their senior year and then it happened to me.  If I had known the last time I saw him dance was going to be the last time I saw him dance, I might have soaked in the moment a bit more.  Now I'm just super proud of him for recognizing just how much those girls affected his happiness and making a better choice for himself.  

This really resonates with me looking ahead. Hugs.

• Like 1

My Dd quit dancing during covid and her senior year. She’s now working at a school with one of her favorite dance teachers:) 

I don’t miss the nightly  driving around or competition crap & I actually took a dance class for adults at a different studio last summer when covid numbers were low. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

My DS has retired. 

That is some amazing self awareness!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

My DS has retired. 

That is making me tear up over here.  

Good for him for knowing what was best for him.  I can't believe the girls were bullying him!  WTF?  How childish.  My ds was bullied by other girls in his dance classes when he 7-9 ish.    I can't believe some teen girls would be that immature.  Yuck.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Erika, I’m so happy for your son that he is making decisions in line with his values and putting his mental health first. What a good way to begin his young adulthood!

My daughter hasn’t been bullied, but she is dealing with some very heavy stuff at her ballet school. Her best friend had a family tragedy last year and, even before this loss, the friend was struggling mightily. She’s now far into a substance abuse problem, compounded with other mental health issues. My DD is being challenged to remain deeply compassionate, but also make and keep clear boundaries to protect herself. It hasn’t been easy and while she loves her friend and certainly wants the best for her, she’s having to pull away to protect herself. In a perfect world, my 17 year old wouldn’t be dealing with these complex, profound problems, but I guess I’m happy that she is doing so with open lines of communication and lots of family support.

The professional ballet world can be very toxic; I’m glad we discovered this while DD still had time to pivot and prepare for an alternative career path.  

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

My Dd is no longer dancing but we just spent an hour at the podiatrist yesterday  fixing toes again- thanks old pointe shoe injuries. She literally like 5 minutes ago texted me “let’s go watch Nutcracker this year” so I guess it’s not ruined for her.

Ds, 7 started breakdancing last year so I’m still going to the studio… but only once a week!! Whew. I said no when he asked if he could take hip hop too. I’m sticking to only one night a week.

Rec dancing only is my new motto 🙂

• Like 1

My dd who was always a recreational dancer (but still really enjoyed it and spent a lot of time at the studio and did Nutcracker, etc) is in high school now and in her school’s fall theatre production. She has still made it to the studio when she could but it was down to twice a week she was making it around play rehearsals and now it looks like she is missing two- three full weeks of dance until the show is over. She isn’t doing Nutcracker (because theatre) but is going to do stage tech for it and is looking forward to being involved with that. 

I always wanted to get her in theatre but dance was just always more accessible to us so it was kind of holding a place until she had other creative outlets which she does now that she is in school. I suspect she will give up dance completely if she makes the spring musical at her school. I didn’t want her to give up dance until she was sure she liked theatre and was getting cast and enjoyed it. I think she would like to keep in dance a little bit but her studio doesn’t have a class for teens that aren’t in several days a week doing pointe. I think she’d enjoy the more relaxed teen ballet classes some studios have that aren’t pointe and she enjoys modern and yoga and the exercise is good for her mentally and physically. So I’m not sure how that will shake out. We are ready to give up dance as long as she has something to replace it with. She is high energy (physically, mentally, creatively…she is ALOT) so she needs something to fill that space in her life if she quits. 

We have tickets to attend two other Nutcracker productions for dancers in our life in addition to the one she is doing stage tech for. So I still have a Nutcracker season to get through 🙂

• Like 2

Happy World Ballet Day!

Ds has Covid (probably) so he missed being on the livestream where Julie Kent was teaching. Oh well.

The trainee life is intense. He just did variations from Le Corsaire and Awakening of Flora and some contemporary pieces in a studio performance. He's doing Stars and Stripes and "young man" in the party scene. If there are any DMV area folks, he'll be at the Warner in most of the shows (40+ shows... groan). He may also do rats a few times. I forget what the regular Nut equivalent of Stars and Stripes is... it's got its own little deal in the fight scene between the rats and the soldiers and the Washington Ballet one has an "America" theme so it's all Revolutionary War themed. There are other American/DC touches like the party is in Georgetown and the flowers are cherry blossoms and Arabian is an Anacostia Indian couple.

• Like 4

Aww, I missed my class tonight on world ballet day! I had a terrible headache and knew I wouldn't be able to push through. I started an adult ballet class after what was nearly a decades-long break, technically decades plural if we discount the year in college and go back to childhood. It is harder and easier than I anticipated. I have retained a lot of flexibility and mucle memory but find it difficult to memorize routines quickly and some terms are fuzzy. I am also weigh 50% more than I did last time I danced. 😕 I do enjoy it and it is a great workout. 

Edited by Brittany1116
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Farrar said:

Happy World Ballet Day!

Ds has Covid (probably) so he missed being on the livestream where Julie Kent was teaching. Oh well.

The trainee life is intense. He just did variations from Le Corsaire and Awakening of Flora and some contemporary pieces in a studio performance. He's doing Stars and Stripes and "young man" in the party scene. If there are any DMV area folks, he'll be at the Warner in most of the shows (40+ shows... groan). He may also do rats a few times. I forget what the regular Nut equivalent of Stars and Stripes is... it's got its own little deal in the fight scene between the rats and the soldiers and the Washington Ballet one has an "America" theme so it's all Revolutionary War themed. There are other American/DC touches like the party is in Georgetown and the flowers are cherry blossoms and Arabian is an Anacostia Indian couple.

Ugh, sorry to hear your DS has Covid.   I hope he has mild illness and recovers well.   Wow, 40 shows!!  That is so intense.  I can't even imagine that.   Does he do all of them?

Wow, that Nutcracker sounds so different than anything I have seen.  I wish we could see it.  I wonder if they have it on youtube?

DD is at the studio 5-6 days a week this year and is on our studio's competition dance team. She's doing classes in ballet/pointe, tap, jazz, acro, and a technical skills class. She's competing on jazz, tap, acro, and musical theater teams. I'm kind of regretting the time and expense of being back in competitive dance, but it's really too late to back out now. Our studio doesn't do Nutcracker, but DD is hoping to pass another Cecchetti ballet level this year after passing the past two levels "highly commended".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Ugh, sorry to hear your DS has Covid.   I hope he has mild illness and recovers well.   Wow, 40 shows!!  That is so intense.  I can't even imagine that.   Does he do all of them?

Wow, that Nutcracker sounds so different than anything I have seen.  I wish we could see it.  I wonder if they have it on youtube?

So far he's negative for Covid every day, so we're on day 5 of symptoms I think, so maybe it wasn't Covid. Who knows. He's feeling better. Just lots of coughing and snotty nose.

He'll do more than half of them at least. And he has to show up to every single one, but he can be dismissed if he's not in that night's cast. Thank goodness it's right on our Metro line so it's not too bad.

It's not on Youtube, but this highlights reel from a decade ago shows a bunch of the bits that make its Americana theme fun, like the Revolutionary War theme to the battle and things like Anacostia (instead of Arabian) and Frontier (instead of Russian). My kid has been a rat (and may do that again this year for a few shows - it's a company role) and he's been a cavalier - one of those riders with the big horses that you can see on the highlights. This much shorter little highlights reel from the party scene has a tiny two second glance of my kid as one of the teens. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Okay, folks, how's Nutcracker season treating you? Mine did EVERY BLEEPING PERFORMANCE until Sunday (more than 20 so far), then he got so sick he threw up and I forced him to stay home Sunday. He's much better today. Not Covid, probably not flu, just the crud. Sigh. So that's the second time this winter. Blah.

I got to see him though and he looked so good doing Stars and Stripes! Now there's less than 20 shows left, I think. Yay!

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kuovonne said:

Nutcracker went well. We had only eight shows. Then the week after Nutcracker, several dancers in my DD's class were out with injuries.

Now we have mentally moved on to prepping for audition season.

Oh wow, done already.  How nice that you have downtime now. 

Where is your dd auditioning?

15 hours ago, Farrar said:

Okay, folks, how's Nutcracker season treating you? Mine did EVERY BLEEPING PERFORMANCE until Sunday (more than 20 so far), then he got so sick he threw up and I forced him to stay home Sunday. He's much better today. Not Covid, probably not flu, just the crud. Sigh. So that's the second time this winter. Blah.

I got to see him though and he looked so good doing Stars and Stripes! Now there's less than 20 shows left, I think. Yay!

20 shows already and 20 more to go.  Wow.  I suppose he is used to it by now though.  I am glad he didn't get really sick.  Is the cast having a lot of sickness going around?

How fun you got to see him perform. 

Our 3 shows are this weekend and done.  Last year they were at another studio and had 14 so this is so easy compared to the old life.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Farrar said:

We just talked about audition season. I was like, so... what's your strategy. He's like, I don't even know. Sigh. Do folks in this thread know about Ballet Scout? It's newish, but seems to be poised to dominate the information for auditions for all levels.

I haven't heard of it.  What is it?  

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I haven't heard of it.  What is it?  

It's a subscription based service that collects all the auditions in the ballet and some in the greater dance world. It seems to be pretty comprehensive. My kid's company talked to them about it as a resource as it was starting last year. And once the dancers behind it's mother is one of the admins on dance parent group I'm in so she's always touting it. But it does seem to be pretty good. Kid and I had a trial account and he'll probably do one soon before audition season. I think it's less important for younger dancers, though they do have school and SI info too so you can really see options in your area for auditions.

• Like 1

Still trying to figure out which ballet summer intensives that DD will audition for. That's why it takes so much mental space. Between local auditions, virtual auditions, NSIA auditions, and video auditions, there are lots of factors to consider.

DD wants to "stack" two programs this summer, which we've never considered before.

Thankfully, over the years, DD has gradually taken over more and more of the planning of audition season herself.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 3:36 PM, Kuovonne said:

Still trying to figure out which ballet summer intensives that DD will audition for. That's why it takes so much mental space. Between local auditions, virtual auditions, NSIA auditions, and video auditions, there are lots of factors to consider.

DD wants to "stack" two programs this summer, which we've never considered before.

Thankfully, over the years, DD has gradually taken over more and more of the planning of audition season herself.

I thought I asked you already.  What auditions is your dd doing this year?  

On 12/14/2022 at 2:45 PM, Farrar said:

We just talked about audition season. I was like, so... what's your strategy. He's like, I don't even know. Sigh. Do folks in this thread know about Ballet Scout? It's newish, but seems to be poised to dominate the information for auditions for all levels.

Did your son decide what auditions to do?

11 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Lol. I asked him today and he said that was his afternoon project! He is thinking of going to Philly for NSIA. 

Has he done NSIA before?  My ones that are old enough are doing NSIA again.  They really jacked up the price this year so that is a bit annoying.  And it comes around us like a month later than it did last year.  I am bit worried about that and the places having room when they get results.  But they are doing some other auditions too, so we will see.  It is exciting and super stressful too.  

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Has he done NSIA before?  My ones that are old enough are doing NSIA again.  They really jacked up the price this year so that is a bit annoying.  And it comes around us like a month later than it did last year.  I am bit worried about that and the places having room when they get results.  But they are doing some other auditions too, so we will see.  It is exciting and super stressful too.  

He's never done it. Two years ago, he was set on getting his SFB experience that he missed out on when they went virtual. And last year, he wasn't interested in being seen by companies and just wanted to stay home, so he did Washington. This summer... I don't even know. I think he's thinking that it's time to get seen? He doesn't always tell me what he's thinking. But the NSIA schools are the kind of places I think he'd likely be able to land a job in another year or two (or at least, it would be a possibility - in the range of could happen), so I think he's thinking that it would make sense to see what offers he gets for the SI's. Also, just straight up honesty, with dh out of work, I really want him to potentially find some money. He's always attended with at least some scholarship (and his year at PBT was a free ride completely) but it's extra important to at least consider this year.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Farrar said:

He's never done it. Two years ago, he was set on getting his SFB experience that he missed out on when they went virtual. And last year, he wasn't interested in being seen by companies and just wanted to stay home, so he did Washington. This summer... I don't even know. I think he's thinking that it's time to get seen? He doesn't always tell me what he's thinking. But the NSIA schools are the kind of places I think he'd likely be able to land a job in another year or two (or at least, it would be a possibility - in the range of could happen), so I think he's thinking that it would make sense to see what offers he gets for the SI's. Also, just straight up honesty, with dh out of work, I really want him to potentially find some money. He's always attended with at least some scholarship (and his year at PBT was a free ride completely) but it's extra important to at least consider this year.

I just went back today and read pages and pages back and remembered that he got the free ride to PBT.   Now I am trying to add that to the list of auditions for DS.

I am sorry your dh is out of work.  Following the scholarship money is important to us for DS too, so that his we can pay for his sisters.  🙂   DS got a lot of scholarship offers from the NSIA audition last year.  Definitely saved us so much money.

How did he like SFB?