Menu

Dance Parents

LizzyBee

Right, no dorms, but I really think they don’t want people traveling from out of state to it.  My daughter was planning on staying with my husband at a work apartment, but the email stated they would be continuing the curriculum for the current students.  No longer even a partial summer program.

1 minute ago, lulubelle said:

Right, no dorms, but I really think they don’t want people traveling from out of state to it.  My daughter was planning on staying with my husband at a work apartment, but the email stated they would be continuing the curriculum for the current students.  No longer even a partial summer program.

So is your dd even allowed to go?  I mean by HB?  Or are they saying nobody but current students?   I am sorry.  I hope they are giving full refunds. 

The last e-mail from our dance studio has our classes and season cancelled until further notice.  Once our state is lifted out of the Safer At Home, THEN they will reassess and see if they can pull together an end-of-season... something.  I dunno...  We have two remaining competitions on the schedule that have not been cancelled.  One for the first weekend in May- in the Chicago area? Likely it will be axed any day now.  Our nationals trip is scheduled for the end of June in Connecticut (near Mystic?).  I'm kinda hoping we just don't go and call the season a wash, and just try to squeeze in some kind of recitals during the month of June.  Provided of course, that we can get back to the studio for a few weeks of classes first.

Hard to say for sure how the next few months will play out at this point, but I know for sure I don't really want to be traveling across country this summer. 

• Sad 1

My daughters school just started live zoom classes on Monday.  One to two classes per day.  She really needed it, because her self motivation was floundering last week.  She has a small bedroom and moves her desk into the hallway for class.  Her school has mentioned extending the year if it opens back up.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hilltopmom said:

Dd is doing her first zoom ballet class right now. When I popped my head in the basement she was almost in tears. It’s not the same and she was dreading it 😞

No it isn't.  My kids are doing them, but because it isn't the same they don't do as much.  

Mine is managing to stay motivated with 10 hours of zoom classes, daily facetime conditioning with a few friends, and some virtual sessions with her trainer (2-3 times a week or so). She’s been jumping a lot on a mini bungee trampoline since she can’t jump much on our floor. Not sure how long she can keep this up but I’m grateful that’s shes staying in shape and is still looking forward to her classes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

They moved BalletBoy up to the pre-trainee kids. But, ya know, on Zoom, and all unofficially and it's very stressful.

Sigh. This Zoom class thing is rough.

Congrats to your ds!   I am so happy for him.  I wish that he was in the studio with his classmates when that happened.   😞     He isn't liking the Zoom classes at all?  Is he doing a regular full schedule? 

18 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Congrats to your ds!   I am so happy for him.  I wish that he was in the studio with his classmates when that happened.   😞     He isn't liking the Zoom classes at all?  Is he doing a regular full schedule? 

He's not officially promoted... but it does seem good that they invited him to join the upper level Zoom classes instead of his own. It's all very unclear.

I think it's just not the same. We don't have a ton of space. He's in the basement and he can literally touch the ceiling. The schedule is irregular. The way they're doing it is like an orchestra of stuff. Two of the upper level teachers are married so one will teach and the other give corrections and then they'll swap off. The pianist is in yet another Zoom window. And sometimes they have the head of the upper school also giving corrections. It's all over the place. Getting the camera to be positioned so that he can both see the class and they can see him properly for corrections is a thing.

Because none of us are really able to go out and we're wary of taking walks in a crowded neighborhood, I think he's struggling his body a good bit. He did a bunch of the other celeb classes... the Tiler Peck one, the Cindys class a bunch of times, one with Alex Wong, twice in the Julie Kent one... but it wasn't the same. Now that they're doing Zoom, getting back into it is rough.

Adding... I think it's hard in part too because he really jibed with a couple of the young company members who taught. There was one guy who is very young and new company who was really pushing him hard and who he really clicked with. The other teachers he loves... but they're stressful to him because he's being evaluated. When the young company guy was teaching, it was like, this guy is only a few years removed from him. He's not in a position to determine BalletBoy's fate in any way. So he could chill out. But they're not teaching. Instead, it's like these famous teachers at the helm, it's like, okay, this teacher can decide whether he really moves up or not. And... on ZOOM. I think it's getting to him.

Edited by Farrar

17 minutes ago, Farrar said:

He's not officially promoted... but it does seem good that they invited him to join the upper level Zoom classes instead of his own. It's all very unclear.

I think it's just not the same. We don't have a ton of space. He's in the basement and he can literally touch the ceiling. The schedule is irregular. The way they're doing it is like an orchestra of stuff. Two of the upper level teachers are married so one will teach and the other give corrections and then they'll swap off. The pianist is in yet another Zoom window. And sometimes they have the head of the upper school also giving corrections. It's all over the place. Getting the camera to be positioned so that he can both see the class and they can see him properly for corrections is a thing.

Because none of us are really able to go out and we're wary of taking walks in a crowded neighborhood, I think he's struggling his body a good bit. He did a bunch of the other celeb classes... the Tiler Peck one, the Cindys class a bunch of times, one with Alex Wong, twice in the Julie Kent one... but it wasn't the same. Now that they're doing Zoom, getting back into it is rough.

Adding... I think it's hard in part too because he really jibed with a couple of the young company members who taught. There was one guy who is very young and new company who was really pushing him hard and who he really clicked with. The other teachers he loves... but they're stressful to him because he's being evaluated. When the young company guy was teaching, it was like, this guy is only a few years removed from him. He's not in a position to determine BalletBoy's fate in any way. So he could chill out. But they're not teaching. Instead, it's like these famous teachers at the helm, it's like, okay, this teacher can decide whether he really moves up or not. And... on ZOOM. I think it's getting to him.

Yeah that sounds super stressful.  I am glad they are dedicating time and effort to their students right now, but it sounds nuts to be evaluated on Zoom for dance.   We are just doing some recorded classes.  Our studio isn't offering anything live.   It is ok at best.   It is helping them not forget everything they have learned.  But they are not progressing.  And they are losing skills that they spent the whole year working on. 

• Like 1

Farrar, being evaluated via zoom does sound stressful. I hope that he gets some positive feedback so some of his anxiety can be relieved. 

Mommyoffive, I do think Zoom is definitely better than recorded classes. At least with zoom some corrections can be given. That’s really too bad that your studio isn’t offering anything live. I know some studios like Ballet West are offering zoom classes with caps on the number of dancers that can attend each class, and they aren’t very expensive. Maybe something like that could supplement your studio’s offerings?

I will say that this time will definitely weed out some of those dancers that aren’t really in love with the art. We’ve had several girls just drop off completely or show up to class only once a week. Others are taking every class they can and doing extra outside of class. It will be interesting to see who is still determined to pursue this come fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

Farrar, being evaluated via zoom does sound stressful. I hope that he gets some positive feedback so some of his anxiety can be relieved. 

Mommyoffive, I do think Zoom is definitely better than recorded classes. At least with zoom some corrections can be given. That’s really too bad that your studio isn’t offering anything live. I know some studios like Ballet West are offering zoom classes with caps on the number of dancers that can attend each class, and they aren’t very expensive. Maybe something like that could supplement your studio’s offerings?

I will say that this time will definitely weed out some of those dancers that aren’t really in love with the art. We’ve had several girls just drop off completely or show up to class only once a week. Others are taking every class they can and doing extra outside of class. It will be interesting to see who is still determined to pursue this come fall.

Thanks for the Ballet West tip.  We may look into those later.  You think Zoom is better just because of the corrections?    

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Thanks for the Ballet West tip.  We may look into those later.  You think Zoom is better just because of the corrections?    

Yes, because there is the possibility of corrections and feedback, either individual or at least whole-group, and accountability. I know my dancer will push herself more for a teacher/when she is with her peers than when she is by herself (I know not everyone is like this, but she is!). I also think live classes at least maintain some sense of community so they don’t feel so isolated. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lovelearnandlive said:

Yes, because there is the possibility of corrections and feedback, either individual or at least whole-group, and accountability. I know my dancer will push herself more for a teacher/when she is with her peers than when she is by herself (I know not everyone is like this, but she is!). I also think live classes at least maintain some sense of community so they don’t feel so isolated. 

Thanks for the info.  We will probably look into it more if their summer programs get cancelled too.  I am wondering if our school will make it through.  They are not charging us now, so no money coming in.  I also wonder if they will be able to do any classes or their SI this summer.  It would be our fall back if the ones they were supposed to be going to cancel.   Was your dd going away this summer?  Did her SI decide what they are going to do yet?

I think different people are doing different things over this time and it is ok.  Some are still dancing tons and have a studio that supports that.  My kids are not.  They don't have a studio that is offering anything but one tech class, one pointe, and one conditioning recorded class.   They used to be dancing 6-7 hours a day (my 2 older ones).   They now dance maybe 3 times a week.   Doing it at home is not even close to being there.   I am short of pushing them to do it, only to get exercise and to not lose everything when they go back.  Do I think they love dance less, no not at all.  I have talked to them about it.  They still love it and wish they were there.  I have kind of tried to plant the seed we could just not go back when things get to normal again.  I do this all the time because it is a huge thing for us to do.  The school is 2 plus hours round trip from our house.  Normally we don't see dh at all during the week because he works in the opposite direction.  Oh and it costs tons of money.   But they are itching to go back.   Will they be out of shape, most likely.  Are they losing some of what they had learned, yes.  Are they not making lots of forward progress, I know they are not.  But I also think they will go back refreshed, motivated, and so happy to be there.  They are kids and they are spending a lot of their free time now doing things they didn't have time to do when their lives were ballet everyday.   Bike rides, knitting, Legos, raising chickens, playing with the dog, and spending time together.    So yeah are they losing out on somethings by not training like they used to before?  Yes, but they are gaining things they lose out on all year.  

I hope this teaches my kids to have a fall back plan.  The 2 oldest didn't want to go to college and just wanted to be dancers.  I think there might be less companies, less performances, and less jobs after this.  So hopefully they will now want to go to college too. 

• Like 2

Dd,17 will be out of shape this fall. She’s a 5 day a week dancer and loves it but is battling depression over all of this right now & hated the zoom class she tried. I’m lucky if I can get her out of bed and out for a walk.

This was her first year with a solo in competition and she was soooo excited about it. She got to perform it once in NYC before everything shut down. 

Edited by Hilltopmom
  • Sad 4

I also think the Zoom classes are better, assuming they're leveled at least some. The instructor can see the students, get a sense of whether they're even partially on track. I expressed my reservations and stress about getting evaluated via Zoom, but I do think it's beneficial to get some feedback and interaction.

Ballet West isn't the only one letting people do some drop in. There are a bunch. And a number of places are letting summer students drop in as well. I know Nutmeg was doing that. I see them on the ballet parent groups I'm on, but BalletBoy chooses what he does. He's in Zoom class now, though for his regular level at Washington.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Thanks for the info.  We will probably look into it more if their summer programs get cancelled too.  I am wondering if our school will make it through.  They are not charging us now, so no money coming in.  I also wonder if they will be able to do any classes or their SI this summer.  It would be our fall back if the ones they were supposed to be going to cancel.   Was your dd going away this summer?  Did her SI decide what they are going to do yet?

I think different people are doing different things over this time and it is ok.  Some are still dancing tons and have a studio that supports that.  My kids are not.  They don't have a studio that is offering anything but one tech class, one pointe, and one conditioning recorded class.   They used to be dancing 6-7 hours a day (my 2 older ones).   They now dance maybe 3 times a week.   Doing it at home is not even close to being there.   I am short of pushing them to do it, only to get exercise and to not lose everything when they go back.  Do I think they love dance less, no not at all.  I have talked to them about it.  They still love it and wish they were there.  I have kind of tried to plant the seed we could just not go back when things get to normal again.  I do this all the time because it is a huge thing for us to do.  The school is 2 plus hours round trip from our house.  Normally we don't see dh at all during the week because he works in the opposite direction.  Oh and it costs tons of money.   But they are itching to go back.   Will they be out of shape, most likely.  Are they losing some of what they had learned, yes.  Are they not making lots of forward progress, I know they are not.  But I also think they will go back refreshed, motivated, and so happy to be there.  They are kids and they are spending a lot of their free time now doing things they didn't have time to do when their lives were ballet everyday.   Bike rides, knitting, Legos, raising chickens, playing with the dog, and spending time together.    So yeah are they losing out on somethings by not training like they used to before?  Yes, but they are gaining things they lose out on all year.  

I hope this teaches my kids to have a fall back plan.  The 2 oldest didn't want to go to college and just wanted to be dancers.  I think there might be less companies, less performances, and less jobs after this.  So hopefully they will now want to go to college too. 

That’s so great that your kids have been able to enjoy spending time catching up on other activities. It’s definitely valuable to be able to just be a kid. My dd is graduating in a year, so she’s doing some stuff at home she didn’t used to have time for (crafts, deep cleaning her room, etc.), but with college applications and auditions for year-round training coming up next year, she isn’t comfortable taking too much time off.

We haven’t officially decided on what to do re: her intensive for this summer. She may end up doing a combination of virtual and local options. There are just too many variables to know what’s going to happen, which is killing me (I’m a major planner)! But right now I can’t imagine feeling comfortable navigating an airport and flying in a couple months. And it’s hard to imagine colleges renting out their dorms to outside programs when they are closing them to their own students. I hope we will have a better picture of the whole situation in a couple weeks.

Our studio asked families to continue to pay at least half of their tuition if possible while they take virtual classes. That way at least the faculty can still teach and get paid. I’m happy with what they are offering. But I can’t wait until all these dancers are able to be back in the studio again. ❤️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lovelearnandlive said:

That’s so great that your kids have been able to enjoy spending time catching up on other activities. It’s definitely valuable to be able to just be a kid. My dd is graduating in a year, so she’s doing some stuff at home she didn’t used to have time for (crafts, deep cleaning her room, etc.), but with college applications and auditions for year-round training coming up next year, she isn’t comfortable taking too much time off.

We haven’t officially decided on what to do re: her intensive for this summer. She may end up doing a combination of virtual and local options. There are just too many variables to know what’s going to happen, which is killing me (I’m a major planner)! But right now I can’t imagine feeling comfortable navigating an airport and flying in a couple months. And it’s hard to imagine colleges renting out their dorms to outside programs when they are closing them to their own students. I hope we will have a better picture of the whole situation in a couple weeks.

Our studio asked families to continue to pay at least half of their tuition if possible while they take virtual classes. That way at least the faculty can still teach and get paid. I’m happy with what they are offering. But I can’t wait until all these dancers are able to be back in the studio again. ❤️

Oh I didn't know your dd was going to graduate in a year.  For some reason I thought she was about 13.   My oldest just turned 14 and the youngest is 4.  She is lot further down on the path, so it is a lot more important.  I am glad she isn't a senior this year.  Hopefully a year from now things are so much better. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Farrar said:

I got emails from lots of SI's today saying they aren't willing to cancel yet. Sigh. I don't even know what to hope for at this point.

I heard about the email from SFB, where else did you hear from?  I think they will try and do what HB is doing don't you think?   Yeah I wish I knew what they were thinking, but I imagine they are having lots of tough meetings and decisions.  

Miami City Ballet school converted to Zoom classes after just one day off. The first week, they only taught one class per day. After that week, they began teaching a full schedule of classes virtually six days per week (except for partnering, obviously) and have added a very robust dance appreciation/dance history/rep component by asking students to view lots of ballets and write about them. It seems like the best solution, given the circumstances and I’m shocked how well it’s going. Oh, and I’m THRILLED to have DD home after two years of her living in residential ballet school settings.

Some students appear to have full home studios complete with sprung floors. We were able to order a portable barre and a 5x6 foot piece of Marley to create a small dance space in a sunny SE corner of our living room. We have one small (2x4) piece of sprung flooring that was handed down by a friend which my DD uses just for jumping. 

This is a good solution for now, but I can’t imagine keeping it up (and staying motivated) through the summer. Chautauqua still seems optimistic they will be able to host their SI. I’m holding off making our final payment until the deadline in mid-May. I’m hoping for the best, but fully prepared for it to be canceled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fourisenough said:

Miami City Ballet school converted to Zoom classes after just one day off. The first week, they only taught one class per day. After that week, they began teaching a full schedule of classes virtually six days per week (except for partnering, obviously) and have added a very robust dance appreciation/dance history/rep component by asking students to view lots of ballets and write about them. It seems like the best solution, given the circumstances and I’m shocked how well it’s going. Oh, and I’m THRILLED to have DD home after two years of her living in residential ballet school settings.

Some students appear to have full home studios complete with sprung floors. We were able to order a portable barre and a 5x6 foot piece of Marley to create a small dance space in a sunny SE corner of our living room. We have one small (2x4) piece of sprung flooring that was handed down by a friend which my DD uses just for jumping. 

This is a good solution for now, but I can’t imagine keeping it up (and staying motivated) through the summer. Chautauqua still seems optimistic they will be able to host their SI. I’m holding off making our final payment until the deadline in mid-May. I’m hoping for the best, but fully prepared for it to be canceled.

Glad that you get to have your DD home with your during this.  That is great that MCB has a program for her to do at home. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wisconsin extended the safe at home order to the Tuesday after Memorial Day.  Our studio sent out a very thoughtful e-mail about having fluid plans for the foreseeable future.   Our nationals trip is out, for which I am extremely grateful.  There's just no way I want to travel across country this year.    They still want to try and take the competition teams to our last two competitions which have been rescheduled (multiple times) to the end of June and beginning of July.   They're also hoping that when the safe at home order is lifted we can get right back into the studio to work on a recital for the middle of July sometime.  I dunno.  Honestly, we'll have been out of the studio for about ten weeks by the time that gets here.  I would prefer to just call it a season and start fresh over the summer for the new year and hope for the best.  People are still hoping to be able to go have their summer vacations and time off where you can go DO stuff and enjoy summer.  I don't think everyone wants to spend their summer playing catch up at the studio...  I do know that even some of the senior dancers have said they just want to be done.  They were looking forward to their last summer at home with their family and friends, taking the occasional dance class here and there.  Not a hard-core couple months of dance before college. 

DD's college classes are... interesting.  Most of the dance classes are recorded videos that they work through on their own, versus using Zoom to watch each other. However, their final for jazz class is now going to be a choreographed duet working with another student.  DD is freaking out because they have to do all this via video chat.  I told her that is obviously part of the challenge, and I think she'll have fun with it IF she gets the right partner. 

SIL teaches for a small studio in the Philadelphia area. They told her to set up online classes, but did not give her any instructions, give equipment, offer an empty studio for recording/streaming from, suggest (much less pay for) an appropriate and secure platform to use, etc. She is having to make a video in advance and stream it as part of her instruction, have another household member monitor the computer for student questions while she demonstrates things, try to see what students are doing to give feedback, no appropriate floor in the house... It sounds very challenging. 😕

1 hour ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Wisconsin extended the safe at home order to the Tuesday after Memorial Day.  Our studio sent out a very thoughtful e-mail about having fluid plans for the foreseeable future.   Our nationals trip is out, for which I am extremely grateful.  There's just no way I want to travel across country this year.    They still want to try and take the competition teams to our last two competitions which have been rescheduled (multiple times) to the end of June and beginning of July.   They're also hoping that when the safe at home order is lifted we can get right back into the studio to work on a recital for the middle of July sometime.  I dunno.  Honestly, we'll have been out of the studio for about ten weeks by the time that gets here.  I would prefer to just call it a season and start fresh over the summer for the new year and hope for the best.  People are still hoping to be able to go have their summer vacations and time off where you can go DO stuff and enjoy summer.  I don't think everyone wants to spend their summer playing catch up at the studio...  I do know that even some of the senior dancers have said they just want to be done.  They were looking forward to their last summer at home with their family and friends, taking the occasional dance class here and there.  Not a hard-core couple months of dance before college. 

DD's college classes are... interesting.  Most of the dance classes are recorded videos that they work through on their own, versus using Zoom to watch each other. However, their final for jazz class is now going to be a choreographed duet working with another student.  DD is freaking out because they have to do all this via video chat.  I told her that is obviously part of the challenge, and I think she'll have fun with it IF she gets the right partner. 

Wow a duet on Zoom.  What a challenge.  I have heard a lot of dancers doing this, but haven't seen anything.   With singers and orchestras it seems to work.  Let us know how that goes.  

Hmm I wonder if they will be allowed to open.  I heard Evers talk about the plan.  Isn't phase one k-12 schools and restaurants.    I don't think that would include dance studios.  I thought phase 2 was non essential things.   I am not sure if those things start happening after the May date or what?   

I am with you, I would not want to travel now.   I am wanting my children's SIs to just cancel and they haven't yet.   I also will not be running right back to the studio unless there is some sort of treatment at that point.  We are not in an at risk population, but dance isn't that important to me to risk it either.   There is no way to social distance at our school.   Way to small.  

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Evers-details-what-it-will-take-to-reopen-the-Wisconsin-economy-569791811.html

Phase one will allow mass gatherings of up to 10 people, restaurants can open with social distancing requirements and certain restrictions for businesses including retail will be removed. K-12 schools and childcare facilities can also open under phase one.

Phase two bumps mass gatherings up to 50 people, non-essential businesses, restaurants, and bars can resume full operations with social distancing and post secondary institutions can resume.

Phase three would include resuming life as we once knew it but with protective measures in place for "vulnerable populations."

Our state just declared no return to school.  We received an email from my dd’s ballet school saying they are closed through June, but we are invited to sign up for their summer intensive for July.  And, she thanked us all for emotional and financial support.  I don’t recall being asked to support the school during the closing.  She has been trying to offer 1 or 2 classes a day on zoom (Monday-Friday). She gave 4 or 5 recorded classes, and the rest have come live only from some of her teachers and around the country.  She also thanked the teachers for their volunteering their time to teach.  My daughter was in the conservatory program, noon-5 Monday through Friday, and Saturdays 11-3.  We will have lost 1/3 of the year.  It’s about 3k.  Do I just swallow that?  I assumed the owner would offer a free intensive or money back.   There is no way I’m giving her more money.  Are any of your ballet schools giving money back?

11 minutes ago, lulubelle said:

Our state just declared no return to school.  We received an email from my dd’s ballet school saying they are closed through June, but we are invited to sign up for their summer intensive for July.  And, she thanked us all for emotional and financial support.  I don’t recall being asked to support the school during the closing.  She has been trying to offer 1 or 2 classes a day on zoom (Monday-Friday). She gave 4 or 5 recorded classes, and the rest have come live only from some of her teachers and around the country.  She also thanked the teachers for their volunteering their time to teach.  My daughter was in the conservatory program, noon-5 Monday through Friday, and Saturdays 11-3.  We will have lost 1/3 of the year.  It’s about 3k.  Do I just swallow that?  I assumed the owner would offer a free intensive or money back.   There is no way I’m giving her more money.  Are any of your ballet schools giving money back?

Do you pay yearly?  So this money she already has?  The teachers are volunteering their time?  Is that how it always is?  She doesn't pay them?  It sounds like she is still offering daily classes so is thinking she is still providing you the service.  Is your dd taking those classes everyday?  Did she give you a choice in what you wanted to do?  

This is how it rolled for us

Ballet school attached to a pro-company.   They called off classes right away.  We were also rehearsing a show at that time.  They did not charge tuition after March 13.  You could donate or get refunded your money for the show.  You could donate or get a tuition credit for your monthly tuition.   There were no offers of any live Zoom classes.  After 2 plus weeks there was one recorded class for levels 1 and up.   We pay monthly there.  

Rec studio called off classes at the same time.  After 5 weeks they haven't done or said anything.  I contacted them today and there is still now decision on what they are going to do.  We pay yearly there.  

Summer intensives where we have already put down deposits, at this time they still haven't canceled.  I hope that we will be offered a refund. 

We pay by the term.  Shut down happened two weeks before the end of term.  The dance teacher is doing small videos to work on exercises, the exercise class Ds was doing stopped and is adding to the next term which will be mostly my zoom. Group music class did the same.

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow a duet on Zoom.  What a challenge.  I have heard a lot of dancers doing this, but haven't seen anything.   With singers and orchestras it seems to work.  Let us know how that goes.  

Hmm I wonder if they will be allowed to open.  I heard Evers talk about the plan.  Isn't phase one k-12 schools and restaurants.    I don't think that would include dance studios.  I thought phase 2 was non essential things.   I am not sure if those things start happening after the May date or what?   

I am with you, I would not want to travel now.   I am wanting my children's SIs to just cancel and they haven't yet.   I also will not be running right back to the studio unless there is some sort of treatment at that point.  We are not in an at risk population, but dance isn't that important to me to risk it either.   There is no way to social distance at our school.   Way to small.  

https://www.nbc15.com/content/news/Evers-details-what-it-will-take-to-reopen-the-Wisconsin-economy-569791811.html

Phase one will allow mass gatherings of up to 10 people, restaurants can open with social distancing requirements and certain restrictions for businesses including retail will be removed. K-12 schools and childcare facilities can also open under phase one.

Phase two bumps mass gatherings up to 50 people, non-essential businesses, restaurants, and bars can resume full operations with social distancing and post secondary institutions can resume.

Phase three would include resuming life as we once knew it but with protective measures in place for "vulnerable populations."

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the next month plays out.  I agree with you that dance studios won't fall into anything other than phase 3, and I think it's going to take us a while to even get to phase one, which I assume would happen at the end of the stay at home order and not during.    I really think they're just trying to be hopeful and give people a little hope too.  

4 hours ago, Lady Marmalade said:

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the next month plays out.  I agree with you that dance studios won't fall into anything other than phase 3, and I think it's going to take us a while to even get to phase one, which I assume would happen at the end of the stay at home order and not during.    I really think they're just trying to be hopeful and give people a little hope too.  

Yep.  I respect the places that are at least communicating something.  Our ballet school closed for the school year.  I haven't heard anything on summer, I don't think it is going to happen.  Unless there is some sort of cure, I don't think our family will be there.  We don't have risk factors, but I just don't think I want to take the chance. 

The rec place has no plans.  Normally their recital is in May before Memorial day.  They still think we are doing one.  Haven't refunded anything.  Haven't taught a single class since in anyway.   Basically they have nothing figured out.  It has been 5 plus weeks now.  I know it took everyone by surprise when it happened, but after 5 weeks you should have a plan and communicated that.   

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, fourisenough said:

Quoting myself with an update: Chautauqua just cancelled their in person programming and announced details of their online SI. While not ideal, it will be FREE, which is...amazing. I was originally thinking DD would just continue through the summer taking Zoom classes with MCB, but I think it might be beneficial and fun for her to participate with Chautauqua.

Since she’ll be home all summer, she’s going to complete Thinkwell Econ and two mini art classes offered by PA Homeschoolers and really dig in to ACT prep, too. I guess the ‘silver lining’ for her is extra time at home with family and the chance to knock out 2 full high school credits.

I hope everyone else is coming to terms with the devastating changes to summer dance plans and finding some good alternatives and silver linings. 

Edited by fourisenough

Washington just made their summer intensive virtual. I want to cry for my kid. They are doing a great job of teaching online - if anyone is curious to hear about it because you're considering it as an option,  I'm happy to talk. But it's not the same at all.

As of now, Ballet West is still on and have extended their enrollment dates. Utah is doing a pretty good job with CV. We're... considering it. The money and the risks might be too much, especially put together. We're going to call them next week. Still hoping BBSI runs in August.

BalletBoy did the SFB class with Patrick Armand today. He said it was okay. He did something icky to his toe recently - not sure what - but it finally seems better after icing and ibuprofen for a couple days. Washington had their pt's on to talk to the kids about ballet at home and injuries, so I super appreciated that. We're still thinking about whether or not we need a better set up. I could take all the leaves out of the dining room table, move the sideboard, hang the light higher, and put dome some flooring. But it would be less private and would be so disruptive. Sigh. No good solutions.

Edited by Farrar

• 2 months later...

@Farrar How is summer going for BalletBoy? Which SI’s did he decide to attend? Virtual or in person? I just saw on Washington Ballet’s IG that they are strictly teaching virtual classes for the fall/winter (which is why I thought of you guys and wondered about your summer).

DD is enjoying Chautauqua’s virtual SI. Julie Kent was a guest teacher last week and DD loved her class. She also led an interesting Q&A Session for the students.

I am assuming MCB will teach face-to-face classes this school year (since they’re doing it all summer). We’re waiting until the very last minute to sign a lease and commit to sending DD back. Honestly, I’m hoping they’re going to offer a virtual option. I just don’t feel great about sending her down there given the current situation in Florida. But Zoom Ballet is getting old...

Hope all you dance families are hanging in there.

Edited by fourisenough

• 4 weeks later...

Our (new) studio got large monitors in each room and kids can attend in person or virtually.  They socially distanced them in person, had the doors open and everyone wore masks the whole time.  We are on break now but going back in the fall in whatever form they have.  We have pretty nice weather all year long now, so doors can stay open all year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SanDiegoMom in VA said:

Our (new) studio got large monitors in each room and kids can attend in person or virtually.  They socially distanced them in person, had the doors open and everyone wore masks the whole time.  We are on break now but going back in the fall in whatever form they have.  We have pretty nice weather all year long now, so doors can stay open all year. 

How awesome.   We can't have doors open past September.   I would be a lot more comfortable if we could. 

BalletBoy had a great experience doing SFB's virtual intensive. Tiny group - just 4 boys, I think. So he got a lot of personal attention from some very top teachers. He found the strength and conditioning program especially helpful.

And... our big news... he got into the professional training division at Washington Ballet! I'm so thrilled for him. He was one of only a couple of kids promoted from his level. So that's huge. He has been taking a giant break since the audition. I don't think he's done more than a Cindys class since then. 

Of course... more dance on Zoom is... deep sigh. One day this will end. One day. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Farrar said:

BalletBoy had a great experience doing SFB's virtual intensive. Tiny group - just 4 boys, I think. So he got a lot of personal attention from some very top teachers. He found the strength and conditioning program especially helpful.

And... our big news... he got into the professional training division at Washington Ballet! I'm so thrilled for him. He was one of only a couple of kids promoted from his level. So that's huge. He has been taking a giant break since the audition. I don't think he's done more than a Cindys class since then. 

Of course... more dance on Zoom is... deep sigh. One day this will end. One day. 

Congratulations!  That is so awesome.   Is the program in person?  I was wondering if some studios would bring back the company or upper levels in person instead of all the kids.  What is the professional level there?  Is it an apprenticeship or traineeship?

I am glad he had such a good summer with such a positive end.  Amazing that he is able to keep pushing through during this time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Congratulations!  That is so awesome.   Is the program in person?  I was wondering if some studios would bring back the company or upper levels in person instead of all the kids.  What is the professional level there?  Is it an apprenticeship or traineeship?

I am glad he had such a good summer with such a positive end.  Amazing that he is able to keep pushing through during this time. 

TWSB is completely still online. So not in person yet. Sigh. It’s a step before the company trainees. It’s a during the day program and they’re in the same general grouping as the trainees and take classes with them, have the same teachers, etc.

He is a special kid. His attitude is unshakable.

• Like 2

Most of mine are still doing Irish dance. We were doing only online until recently, they are back in the studio now but classes are very small (sometimes just two or three students) and everyone has been wearing masks. I will suggest they prop the doors open once we get past our current heat wave--we've been in the triple digits 

My oldest is planning to go to a competition in Wyoming in September. I'll keep an eye on things but so far cases are very low in the county she would be going to--they've only tallied eight new cases in the past week and their positivity rate is below 5%; sounds a lot safer than what we are seeing locally. 

• Like 1