Menu

if you bake or make your own snacks regularly...

caedmyn

WHEN do you do it? I think we would all be happier if I did some baking regularly for snacks but I can't figure out when to do it. I've thought of having a weekly baking day but I don't know where to fit it in. I've tried baking something most days when I make dinner but that doesn't happen for very long. If only I could hire a personal baker!

When I'm around.

I bake more bar cookies than anything else, and so I don't have to be home for very long to pull that off.

They are usually baked in 20-25 minutes, and then I can take the pan out to cool and ignore it for hours.

Worst case is cakes, very picky and so I hardly ever make them.

The hardest thing I make regularly is coconut macaroons--each sheet has to bake for 35 minutes, and a recipe makes 3-4 sheets worth.  I only make those when it's rainy out and I'm doing other projects at home, which isn't often.  Luckily the recipe only has about 5 ingredients and mixes up very fast in the KA.

I make brunch on Sunday, but start pretty early like I'm making breakfast, and bake 2-3 different things to go with eggs, bacon, etc.  I try to make enough to last through the week.  I made chocolate chip zucchini bread and baked oatmeal this week, but DS9 ate almost the entire thing of oatmeal in 2 days.   I made cookies on Sunday too since it was cold and snowy and the boys were distracted by screens, and froze half the batch so I can fresh-bake a few at a time later on.

I haven't done it lately since only dh and I are home but I used to do it regularly and I did it in the afternoon while my youngest was taking a nap, middle was having free time, and oldest was still working.  I think I usually did it in the afternoon as they got older too.  It didn't take much time to make the dough, which was the longest time I had to be there in the kitchen all the time, and then I would set alarms which I would carry with me and help kids in between taking cookies out, etc.

I'm just making a little extra as I go. Slicing an apple for me? Slice a couple more and add lemon juice for grab-n-go snacks in the fridge. Ditto for slicing cheese. A little extra for the next couple snacks.

DH is on a low carb diet. A baked eggs and vegetables thing can be several breakfast servings at once. Slices in a tupperware to grab-n-go.

I'm never super far ahead, but there's a little buffer.

I bake around dinnertime or on the weekend. I've been making muffins recently, and I might make a batch that is a dinner side and then there are a few for snacks the next day. For a batch of 12, 6 or 7 disappear within a couple of hours or with dinner and then there are 5 or 6 for the next day, and since I'm trying to limit myself to just 1 per batch, it's working out fine.

For cookies, granola bars, taking stuff to church, or anything that is more work, Saturday afternoons are a great time to bake. Sundays could work too, but it just feels like there is more time on Saturday.

I'm just making a little extra as I go. Slicing an apple for me? Slice a couple more and add lemon juice for grab-n-go snacks in the fridge. Ditto for slicing cheese. A little extra for the next couple snacks.

DH is on a low carb diet. A baked eggs and vegetables thing can be several breakfast servings at once. Slices in a tupperware to grab-n-go.

I'm never super far ahead, but there's a little buffer.

Do you have a recipe for this baked eggs and vegetables thBig?

OH!  Also, when I'm cooking other stuff on top of the stove.

Like Friday--I made a casserole for dinner, but I also mixed up the batter for cheese biscuits and got wild rice soup simmering while the casserole was in the oven.  Then I popped the cheese biscuits in while we were eating dinner, and the next day we had a glorious company lunch of wild rice soup, cheese biscuits, and fresh tomato salad with balsamic vinaigrette.  I'm bringing the left over cheese biscuits to a potluck tonight, and we had leftover wild rice soup for dinner last night.  So, out of one cooking session I got 3 solid meals plus a potluck dish that I am confident everyone will LOVE.

When I cook, I cook HARD; and I plan on ways to make leftovers seem less like leftovers by mixing up what goes with them.

• Like 1

I bake and make nearly all of our own food and snacks. I fit snack making in all through the week. So one day I might take 10 minutes to mix a batch of oats etc for granola and pop it in the oven and then it just has to cool on the counter and be dumped into a container. We use it in yogurt for snacks a lot. Then another day maybe when I'm in the middle of other projects I mix a double batch of muffins and get enough made at once for freezing a bunch too. We can take some out in the morning and they defrost by snack time. I just always try to make double batches whenever I can because it doesn't take much longer when you have everything out to just double it. I think I fit it in by having the mindset that there isn't another option. We just honestly don't want to eat prepackaged foods from the store so making our own snacks is not so much an extra thing to fit in but just another requirement of our lives I guess.

• Like 1

When ever my kids ask to bake. I rarely bust out and bake anything anymore. They do it and I'll help eat what they make.

Yep, my daughter is the baker here, she makes something at least once a week (for poetry time). She made blondies today. I only occasionally indulge, I'm not big on desserts. 

I don't really "make" snacks. Snacks are things like fruit or nuts or dark chocolate or veggies & hummus OR if I'm having a treat some chips or gf crackers. Occasionally I might make some homemade nut and seed granola or some homemade candy (like dark choc pb cups or something), then I'll stick them in the freezer for when I have a hankering.

You need to look at your schedule and dedicate a block of time. How long do your recipes take? Would you get up early? Stay up late? Find a space in your daytime schedule? You just have to plan it. I never just magically feel inspired and jump up and bake.

For cookies or cupcakes you’ll only need an hour. Bread doesn’t take much hands-on time but you have to plan wait time. I start sourdough the night before and only make it when I’ll be home all day. Most of that is wait time.

I prefer cooking meals over baking. I tend to put off baking forever and it never takes as long as I thought it would. I don’t know why I dread it so much.