Menu

oh gawd...talk me down

SparklyUnicorn

I feel your pain--I hated (still hate) presentations, but in defense of presentations in math class--when my daughter's college math professors wrote detailed LORs for this fancy national math prize she won, one of the most compelling (which I know because it was quoted in an article the U wrote about her) was from a professor who went into great detail about her leading a group project and presentation for an upper-level math class while she was a junior in high school.  She did not solicit LORs for this prize (the nominator did), and if she had, she wouldn't have picked this professor because she figured he didn't remember her.  The point of this little tale, though, is that if you can speak well, you can really shine in a math presentation.  So maybe if you look at it as a chance to show off, it will be more palatable?  

• Like 3

I might have earned a better grade in math if I had been able to do a presentation  :lol: I'm way more skilled at working a room than I am at numbers! 

If it were a group project and we were in the same class, I bet we'd have made a beeline for each other. I run front of the house, you run the back, and everyone is comfortable and happy-ish! LOL

• Like 4

DD, my math/science kid, was horrified to find out her required humanities class requires her to read several books.  As in more than one.  And analyze them.  The horror!   :lol:

I've already accepted that she must not be mine and was switched at the hospital...

• Like 1

I'm surprised this is new.  In our high school there must be presentations, projects, and writings in ALL classes.  I have no problem with that.  In the real world, presentations, projects,and writings can be part of life so when better to get to know how to do them?

For math it's often simply kids taking a section of what's being learned and doing a project on that which they then present to the class.  eg  Here's what sine is and how it's used IRL, etc.  

Ugh!!

Does it make you feel any better that DS has to write an essay for his PE midterm?

It's like administrators want to make things more miserable...

Actually, more interdisciplinary.

Sorry, sparkly. I would feel like you do, it's a math class, just let me make my calculations and check out.

• Like 3

LOL..

yah but...a presentation in a math class?!  I can't even fathom WHAT sorts of things one would present.  Should be interesting.

Well, I figure I'm either going to enjoy this or hate it.  Then I'll know if this is my last class or if I'll keep going.  I'm still on the fence.

We did the Golden Ratio and connected the mathematical theory to real world applications, both natural and man-made.

It was Trig, essentially, so I guess it had something to do with that.  I don't remember much about it.  I'm reasonably sure it was an IB requirement as there was something quite similar in every class, esp. that year.

We didn't have anything fancy like IB when I was in school.  LOL

I could be a pip and take it as my lowest score (that gets dropped). 

It's not fancy nor IB in my school.  It's part of every class except Learning Support level (8th grade level or lower while in high school).

Do the Moebius strip - related to math as being not oriented and then talk a lot about August Ferdinand Moebius and give highlights of his biography. :)

I'm not sure of the details of it yet.  I suspect it will have something to do with Maple, but I don't know (based on some hints of other students groaning about this prof).

• Like 1

Well "new".  Mind you I graduated from college 20 years ago.  These are just some math classes at a CC.  It'll be my 5th math class and as of yet I have not had a project or presentation.  My kid has taken 4 math classes and no projects either.

I have heard other ppl moan and groan about this prof.  I don't necessarily let that discourage me because I'm not afraid to work hard.  I don't object to the concept per se, I just don't appreciate pointless stuff.

Of course I don't know as of yet if this will be pointless though.  It just surprises me.

• Like 1

oh geee...I wonder who one starred me.... :001_rolleyes:

Beats me.  I wish we didn't have stars for threads.  It honestly makes no sense at all to me.  I wonder if someone accidentally hit something on their phone?

Well, I decided to drop the course and take something else.  I was on the fence with that course anyway.  I'm going to take an intro computer programming course instead.  I've never taken any sort of computer course of any kind so this should be interesting.

Computer programming is also very worthwhile as a class according to my lads, so sounds like a good choice for you to have made.  Best wishes to you!

• Like 1

I think it's pretty normal to do class presentations on any topic. (Possibly even computer programming.)

Why shouldn't people be able to talk about what they have learned? Most people can explain something once they understand it.

Some people really don't like being up front in the spotlight.  When I need to grade these things, I allow for it.  I feel we're teaching and introducing, not expecting a finished, experienced presenter.  I grade almost solely on the project itself and whether it has all the things I asked for on the rubric.  I feel it's good for everyone to get the experience because often the "next time" isn't as difficult (due to the way our brain processes things), but I don't see where their specific ability should affect a math/science grade unless they were to refuse or something similar (no one ever has).

However, my view is mainly my own (shared by a few others).  Many teachers also grade on composure and similar things.  I can see that in a Public Speaking class, but feel it's unfair in a different class.  Many jobs require presentations at some point or another, but not ALL do.  

• Like 1

I would expect it in a programming class.

But yeah..I guess.

Interesting that your perception around math (or certain other topics too?) specifically excludes the idea of explaining it or talking about it out loud.

Do you have any ideas of what makes math special in that way? (As opposed to being one of many roughly equivalent subject areas, all of which can be verbally explained...) I'm not pushing, I'm just interested in your instinctive first reaction and the possible assumptions or experiences that underlie it. (Feel no need to indulge my curiosity of you'd rather not.)

• Like 1

Interesting that your perception around math (or certain other topics too?) specifically excludes the idea of explaining it or talking about it out loud.

Do you have any ideas of what makes math special in that way? (As opposed to being one of many roughly equivalent subject areas, all of which can be verbally explained...) I'm not pushing, I'm just interested in your instinctive first reaction and the possible assumptions or experiences that underlie it. (Feel no need to indulge my curiosity of you'd rather not.)

Well, up until this point all my courses were basically about learning calculations, rules, and procedures. So I'm trying to imagine what there is to present. 

I'm taking these courses for fun so I get to be particular about the ones I choose.  No particular class is required of me.  KWIM?

Not that I think they should be tailored to what I want!

• Like 2

I always assume the stars are by mistake. 

If people really are low-starring me, that is some petty nonsense!

If you are 5 starring me, you rock too! LOL

I think it's pretty normal to do class presentations on any topic. (Possibly even computer programming.)

Why shouldn't people be able to talk about what they have learned? Most people can explain something once they understand it.

It's totally normal these days to be expected to present in every class.  Which is why I'm glad I graduated before they figured out  the value of presentations!

• Like 1