Menu

When you buy something like a food item which disappoints, what do you do with the rest?

Ginevra

I force myself to eat them. This is because no one else will eat things if they don't like them and I was raised by parents who went through the Great Depression.

I think that view can be taken to unhealthy extremes. My grandma lived through the Depression (and the Dust Bowl), and she wouldn’t even throw away spoiled food—and I don’t mean questionable things like what’s in most Would You Eat This? threads. I remember her trying to make my cousin eat ketchup left over on her plate with a spoon until my aunt intervened. I understand why she had that view about wasting food, but I think it was harmful to her and her family. Not saying that’s what you do; your post just reminded me of her.

Edited by Word Nerd
  • Like 1

I think that view can be taken to unhealthy extremes. My grandma lived through the Depression (and the Dust Bowl), and she wouldn’t even throw away spoiled food—and I don’t mean questionable things like what’s in most Would You Eat This? threads. I remember her trying to make my cousin eat ketchup left over on her plate with a spoon until my aunt intervened. I understand why she had that view about wasting food, but I think it was harmful to her and her family. Not saying that’s what you do; your post just reminded me of her.

I agree. I have an aunt who made her kids eat everything on their plates and even saved it for the next meal if they didn't. The worst part is she was a terrible cook. My mother never made us finish food we didn't like, even though we were poor (and she was born in the middle of the depression). My cousins who had to eat everything are very picky eaters even as adults. My brother and I are not. Purely anecdotal I know, but I'm glad my mother allowed us to not like some food. It made us more willing to try things knowing we didn't have to eat it if it turned out we didn't like it.

• Like 1

That reminds me of a time I followed a recipe for Apple Muffins. They were horrible! They were like concrete bricks. I figured I must surely have made a mistake in preparation. I threw them away and repeated the recipe. Same result: cement muffins. I just couldn’t believe this was what the recipe was actually supposed to produce.

When I read this the first time, I read 'Angel Muffins'. And I thought - of course, they were bricks so you could throw them at people, kill them, and then they would be angels. 

But that is what comes from misreading!

• Like 2

Toss it, give it away, or try to incorporate it into a recipe if it’s not nasty disgustingness that will ruin everything it comes in contact with.

Your cracker example would probably become part of a crushed crust or topping for a casserole, as filler in meatloaf or meatballs, or as breading on chicken nuggets.

• Like 1

Truly terrible and nobody will eat it? Throw it out. 

Edible, but not to our family's liking? Find someone to give it to(or leave it out at a workplace, event, class, etc.), eat it anyways, or leave it in the pantry until it has been forgotten for a few years, then chuck it.

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if someone suggested this yet, but try the blueberry tea as an iced tea. It might be palatable, or even really good. It's happened to me with other fruity teas, where I just couldn't enjoy it hot. Play around with the amount of sugar. It might not need any, or it might need a lot, depends on what it tastes like. I've never had blueberry green tea. 

• Like 2

We won a basket from a food store.  Most of the food was something we did eat.  But we got a can of Lavendar Chocolate Coffee.  Now understand that first of all, none of us like any flavored coffee at all.  If I want a mocha, I make cocoa and coffee and then mix the two. I don't buy chocolate flavored coffee because I have found all flavoured coffees to be nasty if they are flavored coffee versus adding a flavor to a made coffee. So I wouldn't like it even if it didn't have the disgusting combo of lavendar and chocolate.  I don;t like that combo without even getting coffee into it.  I think I will throw it out now.  This thread has made me realize that I have had that stupic can (unopened) in my cabinet for a few years now and I will never open it either.   Looking at it before I threw it away, I did see that it actually had lavendar flowers and cocoa bean powder along with the coffee powder. None the less, I would not like the flavors and now it it old coffee too.

• Like 2

This thread reminded me... for New Year's Day we had Hoppin' John. The blackeyed peas tasted like dirt.  No lie. We ended up picking the peas out of the whole batch and ate the rest. Fortunately the dirt taste disappeared with the beans.  

(They were frozen peas, so it wasn't a result of my failure to rinse dried beans properly!  Just saying. :-) )

• Like 1

Truly terrible and nobody will eat it? Throw it out. 

Edible, but not to our family's liking? Find someone to give it to(or leave it out at a workplace, event, class, etc.), eat it anyways, or leave it in the pantry until it has been forgotten for a few years, then chuck it.

There have been a few snack foods I bought to try and none of us liked. When that happens dh brings it to work and it usually disappears pretty quickly. Just because we didn't like it doesn't mean nobody would.

I should get some chickens. But for lack of those, I post it on my neighborhood and home school group email lists and someone always ends up wanting it. Only one of my teen/adult boys will eat something "less desirable" until it's gone. The rest, and my daughter, are like me and will avoid it until it expires and we can toss it with less guilt. (Such as the games we play with ourselves, having grown up on a farm where nothing was wasted. Ever.)

I've bought a lot of tea that I don't care for. I like the idea to try it iced, first. Some really do taste better that way. I'm not a fan of fruity teas, but they seem to be popular gifts. I sometimes use them in desserts. You can add the leaves to cookie mixes, just make sure to grind them up some. One of my favorite desserts is poached pears in the crockpot. I use the fruit teas to infuse the pears, and somehow that doesn't taste as gross as the tea does by itself. Mostly though I make myself a cup every month or so, hoping to start liking it. And after a few sips when I remember why I don't like that particular tea, I use it to water my houseplants. LOL The plants actually really like it!

• Like 1

There have been a few snack foods I bought to try and none of us liked. When that happens dh brings it to work and it usually disappears pretty quickly. Just because we didn't like it doesn't mean nobody would.

No one in our family (including me) even wanted to bother opening the can of wasabi mixed nuts I got in a gift basket at Christmas, but they were inhaled rather quickly when I took them to work.