Menu

Who's going to tackle Thursday with me?

Jean in Newcastle

Good morning!  

-coffee

-DS16 off to school without argument or incident

-school with DS13

-grocery store or maybe Costco for meat

-do some Whole30 batch cooking because DH complains that there is "nothing to eat" and he is "starving"

-laundry DONE:  0

-read/relax/work on 5000 piece puzzle

-think about homeschool next year for DS13 (why is it that in Jan/Feb I'm more interested in next year than this year??)

-DS16 baseball practice 5-7

-dinner (shish kabobs)

Edited by Pink and Green Mom
  • Like 8

Good morning!

We are supposed to get freezing rain, snow, and high winds today so I'm hoping to stay home all day and get things done.

•school

•office work (bills, bank deposits)

•mop up muddy paw prints (yesterday was a mucky, muddy day)

•keep an eye on Linus, my cat who had a respiratory infection two weeks ago. He's been back to his normal self for the past week and a half but started snuffling and sneezing again last night. Sigh. 

•clean laundry room

•make menu plan and shopping list for next week

•dd Book Club

•dinner: miso-chili cod with coconut-ginger broth and sweet potatoes

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 8

Do the stuff I didn't get to yesterday.

Nice thing: yesterday, when I was cleaning out a tiny chest of drawers in the basement, I found my old fountain pens. I had thought kids had 'borrowed' them, then broken them and secretly disposed of them, lol. In the same chest, I also found an old mouse nest. We used to have mice, but haven't seen evidence of any in several years. So today, I will don rubber gloves, finish cleaning the chest and the bleach it. I plan to try a paint project -- maybe chalk paint and stencilling?

Container Store and Trader Joe's today as a reward after I finish boring stuff. So TJ Mandarin Chicken tonight -- a family favorite.

Decluttering today will be old children's VHS videos.

• Like 8

Good morning!

We are supposed to get freezing rain, snow, and high winds today so I'm hoping to stay home all day and get things done.

•school

•office work (bills, bank deposits)

•mop up muddy paw prints (yesterday was a mucky, muddy day)

•keep an eye on Linus, my cat who had a respiratory infection two weeks ago. He's been back to his normal self for the past week and a half but started snuffling and sneezing again last night. Sigh.

•clean laundry room

•make menu plan and shopping list for next week

•dd Book Club

•dinner: miso-chili cod with coconut-ginger broth and sweet potatoes

Miso-chili cod? I am looking for a good cod recipe, if you have time.

• Like 4

I haven't even thought about today yet... :crying:

Yoga

School

Pick up medicine

bake something

load of laundry (in washer)

Yeah...that is all I've got so far.  

unload dishwasher

fix Safari bug that has been driving me crazy for the last two days

Edited by Nemom
  • Like 8

Good morning! No morning practice, and dd2 was a little stressed getting out the door. But she is off, and I got a thank you and I love you in car, so that was nice.

To do:

School with boys

Pay some bills

Figure out where some papers are

A little research

No response to some emails, so need to make 3 calls

Daily chores

Laundry

Ds3 to tennis

Pick up dd2/practice

Ds2 judo

Have a great day!

• Like 6

Miso-chili cod? I am looking for a good cod recipe, if you have time.

Sure! It's a Plated recipe and I've never made it before, so I can't vouch for how good it is.

Miso-Chili Cod with Coconut-Ginger Broth and Sweet Potatoes (serves 6)

•3 red bell peppers, diced

•3 sweet potatoes, diced

•3 limes, cut into wedges

•3/4 oz. ginger root, peeled

•6 scallions, thinly sliced (keep whites and light greens separate from dark greens)

•3 Thai chiles, thinly sliced

•6 T mayonnaise

•1 1/2 T miso paste

•3 T Thai sweet chili sauce

•2 lbs. cod

•(3) 13 1/2 oz. cans coconut milk

•9 oz. baby spinach

Preheat oven to 425*.

Heat 3 T canola oil in a medium high-sided pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add bell pepper, sweet potato, and whole ginger knob. Cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add scallion whites and light greens to pan and cook until beginning to soften, 2 minutes more. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, miso paste, and sweet chili sauce. 

Place cod on a baking sheet lined with foil. Season all over with salt and pepper as desired, then spread miso mayo over tops of fish. Bake cod until tops begin to brown and fish is cooked through and opaque, about 7 minutes.

While cod bakes, in pan with vegetables, add coconut milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium high and simmer until liquid has thickened slightly, 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Remove and discard ginger. Stir in spinach until wilted, working in batches as needed. Stir in Thai chile. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide vegetables and coconut-ginger broth between shallow serving bowls. Place miso-chili cod in center over vegetables, and garnish with scallion dark greens. Serve with lime wedges.

• Like 6

Done:
grocery
get kids started on school

waiting for dh now, as he drops off his car at the mechanic.

To do:
get beef stew started
school                              
No errands b/c dh will take my van to work.  :001_huh: I wanted to go to the library! Supposed to get now and ice here tomorrow, so we need more books. 

finish AHG prep
AHG tonight

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 7

Done:

grocery

get kids started on school

waiting for dh now, as he drops off his car at the mechanic.

To do:

get beef stew started

school

No errands b/c dh will take my van to work.

finish AHG prep

AHG tonight

This sounds good today.  May have to make some vegan stew for dinner.  

• Like 6

Good morning

- coffee

- dd2 up and dressed -done

- pack dd2’s lunch- done

- take dd2 to school- done

- laundry- Done

- dishes- load going in dishwasher

- tidy living room- round 1 done and vacuumed

- tidy kitchen- round 1 done

- fold/put away laundry- done

- read- finished the chapter now doing notes and the like

- crochet- did a row

- girls off bus- done

- help dd1 with any homework- none though I did have her write her spelling words 5 times each

- PTO meeting @ 6- done

- dinner- chicken noodle soup- done

- baths/showers- done

- bedtime routine- done

- anything else I get done- took insurance tracker out of car and put in mail box to be sent back (need to take the one out of the truck tonight after PTO to send that one back), vacuumed living room, made bed

Edited by MomtoCandJ
  • Like 8

I haven't gotten a thing done in the house yet because we've been busy getting the horses ready for this yucky weather. The temp is dropping so fast - it will be over 40 degrees colder this evening than it was this morning. Plus, we're getting freezing rain which will change over to snow later today and there will be 40 mph winds. So - extra hay, extra bedding in the stalls, check the automatic waterer and fill up the stock tank.

And the horses have to be cooped up by the barns for the next three days because of deer hunting, so I went down in the pasture and gathered up all their pasture toys and brought them up so they have something to play with. This is the last weekend of deer hunting and you have to be careful of hunters who haven't gotten a deer yet and are shooting at anything that moves. :glare:

In other news, I talked to the vet and she wants Linus to continue with more antibiotics, so that means I have two more weeks of cat wrestling ahead of me. :001_huh:

Off to tackle my disastrous kitchen and filthy floors...

• Like 6

Sure! It's a Plated recipe and I've never made it before, so I can't vouch for how good it is.

Miso-Chili Cod with Coconut-Ginger Broth and Sweet Potatoes (serves 6)

•3 red bell peppers, diced

•3 sweet potatoes, diced

•3 limes, cut into wedges

•3/4 oz. ginger root, peeled

•6 scallions, thinly sliced (keep whites and light greens separate from dark greens)

•3 Thai chiles, thinly sliced

•6 T mayonnaise

•1 1/2 T miso paste

•3 T Thai sweet chili sauce

•2 lbs. cod

•(3) 13 1/2 oz. cans coconut milk

•9 oz. baby spinach

Preheat oven to 425*.

Heat 3 T canola oil in a medium high-sided pan over medium-high heat. When oil is shimmering, add bell pepper, sweet potato, and whole ginger knob. Cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes. Add scallion whites and light greens to pan and cook until beginning to soften, 2 minutes more. Season with 1/2 tsp. salt.

In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, miso paste, and sweet chili sauce.

Place cod on a baking sheet lined with foil. Season all over with salt and pepper as desired, then spread miso mayo over tops of fish. Bake cod until tops begin to brown and fish is cooked through and opaque, about 7 minutes.

While cod bakes, in pan with vegetables, add coconut milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium high and simmer until liquid has thickened slightly, 3-4 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Remove and discard ginger. Stir in spinach until wilted, working in batches as needed. Stir in Thai chile. Season with salt and pepper.

Divide vegetables and coconut-ginger broth between shallow serving bowls. Place miso-chili cod in center over vegetables, and garnish with scallion dark greens. Serve with lime wedges.

Wow! Complicated but delicious sounding. I would need to pick up a few of the less common ingredients, but it's the kind of recipe I like. Thanks for typing it out!

Just looked at your last post. Pasture toys, how adorable!

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

Behind on everything. Registering dd for Girl Scout camp took forever. You can't pay until every medical and other form is completed. I get it -- no camp director wants to be begging for forms just before camp. But it look well over an hour, more than I had expected.

So fun TJ shopping trip will have to wait.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 5

I haven't even thought about today yet... :crying:

Yoga

School

Pick up medicine

bake something

load of laundry (in washer)

Yeah...that is all I've got so far.  

unload dishwasher

fix Safari bug that has been driving me crazy for the last two days

So I haven't baked anything yet.  I have made frozen chocolate covered bananas and chocolate avocado mousse. Do you see a theme here?  I'm thinking I must be hormonal or something.   :lol:

• Like 5

kitchen - hand washing

laundry- switch laundry around

paperwork - grade algebra and anatomy & physiology questions.

Petri dishes were filled but need to be put in fridge in a bit.  Plus, I've gone through all the lab explanations for tomorrow and have gotten the lab scale working and gotten other materials out and ready.  Some chemicals need to be mixed fresh tomorrow so I can't do everything ahead of time.

• Like 4

Kitchen is clean and tile floors are mopped. Gave laundry room and mud room a quick wipe down. 2 loads laundry done.

All of the windows on the north and west sides of our house are coated with ice from the freezing rain. Ds19 and I went out to feed the horses and the gate latch, padlock, and hay shed door were all iced shut and had to be thawed/busted open. Now it's snowing horizontally because the wind is so strong.

Dh and I are supposed to have a boring business meeting at our lawyer's office tomorrow morning. I'm secretly hoping the roads will be so icy that we'll have to cancel and I can stay home and hibernate.

• Like 4

We are supposed to go to TN this weekend where we'll have cold, wind, and a little snow. 

Everything is done except laundry. Dh and I watched a bit of a series we're watching on Netflix. I have to do some tonight and in the morning because we leave tomorrow afternoon. My family is having our "Christmas gathering" this weekend. My sister asked last year if we could do it later and try to set some new traditions. 

• Like 4

We are supposed to go to TN this weekend where we'll have cold, wind, and a little snow. 

Everything is done except laundry. Dh and I watched a bit of a series we're watching on Netflix. I have to do some tonight and in the morning because we leave tomorrow afternoon. My family is having our "Christmas gathering" this weekend. My sister asked last year if we could do it later and try to set some new traditions. 

Be careful driving!

Many things (all schools) here are closed tomorrow because of predicted freezing rain followed closely by snow. They are saying up to 1/4" of ice underneath the snow by late tomorrow. 

Our weather people do tend to exaggerate or predict more dire weather than we usually get, but TN is no place to drive when there is a winter storm! 

• Like 3