Menu

Pillow recommendations

Nemom

I need a good pillow for a side sleeper.  I have purchased and loved the Isotonic pillows from BB&B for years and they have always worked great until the last couple of years.  I'm guessing they have changed the fill in them because they use to last for a couple of years and now I get about 4-6 months out of them before they are flat.  

I get severe neck pain and headaches when the pillows start to lose their fluff.  I tried a Sleep for Success pillow from BB&B and I have had the same issue.  

They aren't the most expensive pillows but I don't really want to continue to spend $50-60 on a new pillow every six months like I have been.

Any great pillow recommendations?  I don't mind spending between $50-$100 on a good pillow that will last a couple of years.

We have pillows filled with memory foam pieces instead of one solid memory foam form or any kind of fiber fill. I ended up buying them for everyone in the house after trying mine out for about six months. The oldest ones we have are about two years old now and still work nicely. They are a bit less “fluffy†now but not significantly so. I’m guessing they’ll last 4-5 years.

• Like 1

I love the allergy pillow from Target/Amazon. (Not the WalMart one — they’re not the same.). It is the one that says it can be washed in hot water. They seem to stay fluffy for a long time. We’ve had ours a while and wash them every so often, and they do stay fluffy. I’m a side sleeper, and it feels like sleeping on a cloud.

• Like 1

We have pillows filled with memory foam pieces instead of one solid memory foam form or any kind of fiber fill. I ended up buying them for everyone in the house after trying mine out for about six months. The oldest ones we have are about two years old now and still work nicely. They are a bit less “fluffy†now but not significantly so. I’m guessing they’ll last 4-5 years.

This one sounds interesting.  Do you have a specific brand that you like?

I love the allergy pillow from Target/Amazon. (Not the WalMart one — they’re not the same.). It is the one that says it can be washed in hot water. They seem to stay fluffy for a long time. We’ve had ours a while and wash them every so often, and they do stay fluffy. I’m a side sleeper, and it feels like sleeping on a cloud.

I googled allergy pillow Target and more than one came up.  Do you know the brand name?

I googled allergy pillow Target and more than one came up. Do you know the brand name?

Allerease. Like this one: https://www.target.com/p/allerease-hot-water-washable-pillow-extra-firm/-/A-16539628?lnk=rec|adaptpdph2|recently_viewed_r2|adaptpdph2|16539628|0. Except that that one says extra firm, which I don’t think I would have bought, and it says it isn’t in my local store, which is where I bought them. But I know they were hot water washable, and they definitely say Allerease.

• Like 1

This one sounds interesting. Do you have a specific brand that you like?

Im not the one who you quoted, but we also have pillows like these. We got ours from Costco several years ago for around $10 for two pillows. We’ve been extremely happy with them. Some are more full than others but none have noticeably lost their fullness.

• Like 1

I started a thread on this over the summer when looking for a new pillow, and ended up getting this one that someone had recommended:

(Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725349FN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love it.  I sleep better on it than I've ever slept on a pillow, because it's soft and firm at the same time.  My head doesn't sink down.  I generally sleep on my back, but sometimes on my side, and this seems to be comfortable for both.  One thing, it's a heavy pillow!  So it's not one you could easily carry with you on a trip.  

• Like 2

I started a thread on this over the summer when looking for a new pillow, and ended up getting this one that someone had recommended:

(Snuggle-Pedic Ultra-Luxury Bamboo Shredded Memory Foam Pillow)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725349FN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love it.  I sleep better on it than I've ever slept on a pillow, because it's soft and firm at the same time.  My head doesn't sink down.  I generally sleep on my back, but sometimes on my side, and this seems to be comfortable for both.  One thing, it's a heavy pillow!  So it's not one you could easily carry with you on a trip.  

Darn it.  I missed your thread!  The pillow looks it might be a good choice.  I'll have to take a better look later.  I think the Bamboo helps with night sweats if I'm not mistaken which seems to be a problem recently.   :closedeyes:

I got a foam side sleeping pillow from Costco more than a year ago, maybe even 2 now. I used to go through pillows in months, so it's been amazing. I balked at paying almost $50 on a pillow but figured I was spend that annually anyways - have been very happy with it. It looks like the temperpeudic neck one linked above -- I like that I can switch it to have more or less neck support (because one edge is bigger/more rounded than the other) depending on my body's fussiness. Some days it wants more or less. 

• Like 1

I’ve had this one for years:

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70269839/

I have a trick neck and began my pillow search here. I expected to have to keep looking because it’s just a contoured piece of ten dollar foam, but it’s held up for 5-6 years now. I travel with it. The cover removes for washing. It’s got two different heights. I needed that contour to support my neck. I love my pillow. Dh will occasionally grabbit by accident and I will wake him upbtobtrade back.

• Like 1

I’ve had this one for years:

https://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70269839/

I have a trick neck and began my pillow search here. I expected to have to keep looking because it’s just a contoured piece of ten dollar foam, but it’s held up for 5-6 years now. I travel with it. The cover removes for washing. It’s got two different heights. I needed that contour to support my neck. I love my pillow. Dh will occasionally grabbit by accident and I will wake him upbtobtrade back.

This is exactly the one I bought last summer.  Had it for two weeks and loved it, but then my teen stole it and refused to give it up.  Called it the best pillow ever. :lol: It's currently sitting in his dorm and I need to go back to Ikea.  The other brand I bought just isn't cutting it.

This exact question has come up before, and I still stand by my recommendation: The Snuggle-pedic pillow is the perfect pillow for me.  I'm a side sleeper, but my neck was killing me for lack of support.  This pillow is filled with a combination of shredded memory foam and shredded regular foam to keep it from collapsing.  The cover is breathable bamboo, and gives gently, so you don't get pressure on your ear.  It's firm enough to hold your head up, in line with your spine.  And, if I pull it into the space between my shoulder and ear, filling the curve of my neck, it will stay there all night, supporting my cervical vertebra.  It's heavy, so it doesn't slide out from under my head.  I wake up in the same position I last remembered before falling asleep.  It is SOOOO comfortable.  We've had ours for about two years, I think, and they're still working great.  

https://smile.amazon.com/Snuggle-Pedic-Ultra-Luxury-Combination-Adjustable-Hypoallergenic/dp/B0725349FN/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1515613362&sr=8-4-fkmr1&keywords=slumberpedic+pillow

ETA: I just looked again and saw that J-rap already posted.  That's the thread I'm referring to, and I'm glad the Snuggle-pedic pillow is still working for J-rap!

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 2

I've gotten a couple pairs of the shredded memory foam pillows from Costco--Bamboo Life is the brand. It was $50 for a pair of pillows.

They are a little odd to sleep on--the pieces of memory foam can be lumpy.  And you need to fluff up the memory foam every night to get it back into a normal shape. But once you fall asleep they are super comfortable.