Menu

Book a Week 2017 - BW52: Year End Wrap Up

Robin M

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

137 is a prime number isn’t it?

I think I will manage it before monday :)

I very liked the writing style of the Irene Huss detective, the one I read:the glass devil, ended with a case of s3xual child abuse so some might want to skip this book.

I just took a look at a prime number table to verify my number definitely is and 137 is also on it. I am looking forward to trying Irene Huss during our Scandinavian month. At this point The Glass Devil is not one of the books my library has so it will be easy to avid. Thank you for the warning.

You have plenty of time. 

We'll start the new year on Monday January 1st - so you all have through Sunday to get all those last reads in.   So much fun reading through all your lists of completed reads.  I think I may have reached a prime number. We'll see since I've got a couple more books that I'm diving into.  

Currently reading Keri Arthur's Circle of Fire in her Damask Circle series.  My battery is about to die so going offline while it recharges and back to reading.  More tomorrow, my dears.

Yeah for the Monday start! I might just manage the prime number.

Awesome!  Want to know a secret.  Too many challenges stress me out too!   During the first or second year of when I started blogging, I joined multiple challenges and drove myself crazy trying to complete them all.  I learned to take it slow.  No worries about completing any challenges other than reading.   :thumbup1:  

Good idea  -  getting boys to crochet. That would be an interesting experiment.   :laugh:   What is VIPKID?  So glad you have been a part of 52 books!  Hugs!  

The live feature drives me crazy as well as the burst.  We've ended up with some amusing photos because of the live. I think I've figured out how to edit them now.

I had planned to edit this quote more but then looked at what I was deleting.

I need to learn about bursts apparently. :lol: ds hasn't worked on my photos yet so we may be contacting you.

This is the first year I have really participated in lots of challenges and the shelf feature on Goodreads is what made it work. I put books with potential for different challenges onto lots of shelves and go back and tidy my shelves at the end of the month. With Goodreads I don't get too stressed. Remind me of this the next time I can't find a book with an E in the title! ;)

Shawne, My ds used to sit and crochet and knit with dd and I. He had a great time! We recently found some of his holey work. Great memories.....

• Like 9

My year end wrap up - I read 77 books this year. https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/ My shortest book was The Ladybird Book of the Mid-Life Crisis (53 pages) and the longest was The Count of Monte Cristo (1276 pages).

Looking through my Goodreads Year of Books page I see that I really enjoyed my reading this year -  almost everything I read I gave 4 stars and several 5 stars, too. 

Some of my favorites were the Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache mysteries, the Susan Branch trilogy, Ann Cleaves' Shetland series, the Poldark series, and several Georgette Heyer Regencies. Apparently this was the year of the series for me!

My overall favorite for the year was two the Poldark series (sorry for my awkward sentence!) - The Four Swans and The Black Moon by Winston Graham. There is something about his writing that really does it for me. The historical aspect is interesting and well done, the storylines are so compelling and poignant and have stuck with me. Yes, the tv series is over-the-top soapy imo, but the books aren't like that, I promise! haha

My favorite non-fiction was Prairie Fires:The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder  by Caroline Fraser.

I didn't have any reading goals this year other than to read 52 books. Reading goals and/or challenges end up taking the fun out of reading for me. It's the same with knitting - if I decide to make something for someone, I end up putting all kinds of pressure on myself over it and that takes the joy out of the whole thing for me and it becomes a chore.

Oh gosh, I just thought of War and Peace which I still need to finish. I haven't picked it up for a couple of months. (hangs head in shame) It isn't that I don't like it and I fully enjoy it while reading so I don't know what my problem is. If I could finish before Monday....

I think for next year I'd like to try to read more non-fiction. Looking over my list from the past year, I see that I've only read two or three non-fiction titles although I have read several memoirs but that isn't really the same thing, is it? I'd also love to read what I own, either on my bookshelf or kindle or can borrow from the library, and not buy anything new.  :lol: Yes, I know. 

Thank you, Robin, for hosting this group! I appreciate everyone here and truly enjoy seeing what everyone reads. 

SaveSave

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 12

Well that was weird. The other day Goodreads said I read 105 books. My goal was 107. I finished Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire yesterday and shelved it today. Now it shows that I met my goal of 107. It also shows a little 2x next to the Harry Potter book. Did GR count it twice even though I originally shelved it as read in 2012 when I joined GR? It would seem so. I looked at War and Peace and though I've read it twice it doesn't have the little 2x by it. It looks like GR thinks I read the HP book twice this year. I'm going to have to see if I can fix it somehow.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

Penguin, I did finish listening to The Dark is Rising the other day. I really enjoyed it and am glad I read it. Thank you so much for posting about the read along. I totally agree that it would be great fun to read it at a chapter a day throughout the holiday season. Maybe next year.

I plan to start listening to the rest of the Susan Cooper series. My plan for January is to quilt intensely on my current hand quilting project for 2018's exhibit so lots of audio book time in my future hopefully.

I am close to done with my U for the author alphabetical. I chose a series that might be good for Brit tripping and a book I had previously abandoned. Nicola Upson's Angel with Two Faces is intense. It also is about inc#st. Obviously that's why I quit once already. This time I continued and have to say its odd. I am so enjoying many parts of this book which is the fictional life of Josephine Try the great cozy author. I just reserved The Man in the Queue so I can pair up her books with this fictional fleshing out of her life. In reality very little is known about her compared to Christie and her other contemporaries. In this book she has just started writing what I think will be A Shilling for Candles. It's mystery story line in this one I could happily skip.

Kathy, if you haven't figured out your Goodreads issue yet it can be fixed on the page where you record and rate the books. You should be able to simply delete that extra reading. I know from experience. ;)

• Like 12

Kathy, if you haven't figured out your Goodreads issue yet it can be fixed on the page where you record and rate the books. You should be able to simply delete that extra reading. I know from experience. ;)

Thanks. I was thinking if I put in a date for the original reading earlier than 2017 that might work too. I'll try both. I hate to remove that I've reread something.

• Like 6

Thanks. I was thinking if I put in a date for the original reading earlier than 2017 that might work too. I'll try both. I hate to remove that I've reread something.

That should work. Everything I have read indicates that is how it is supposed to work. I seem to pick up extra readings when I move books on and off my currently reading list and accidentally hit read. When I actually read the book I have a double reading. I keep a 2017 shelf just so I can make sure my Goodreads challenge number is right or at least close. Since I like to record my novella's and short stories GR counts those in my total and I personally back them off. To get my Prime Number I may just have to use the Goodreads total.

• Like 8

Little did I realize when coming up with the Birthstone Bookology challenge, how many vowels there are.  Loads of fun picking out books. December beat me however with the q and u's and had to go with the whole word in the title versus spelling it all out.  Incidentally, the total number of books turns out to be 73 which is a prime number. 

Plus it is Sheldon's favorite number from Big Bang Theory.  *grin*

Sheldon: "The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3."

Leonard: "We get it, 73 is the Chuck Norris of numbers!"

Sheldon: "Chuck Norris wishes. In binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001. All Chuck Norris backwards gets you is Sirron Kcuhc!"'

:laugh:  :thumbup1:  ;)

January  - Garnet 

Spartacus: The Gladiator -  Ben Kane 

Alexandria Link - Steve Berry  

Russian Winter - Daphne Kalotay   

The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah 

Echoes in Death - J.D. Robb   

The Translator - John Crowley 

February - Amethyst 

Axis  - Robert Charles Wilson  

Midnight Crossroad - Charlaine Harris 

Inheriting Edith - Zoe Fishman

Thief with No Shadow - Emily Gee 

Harvesting the Hummingbird - Scarlett Braden  

Bury Your Dead - Louise Penny 

Snowed - Maria Alexander 

Tinderbox - Rachel Grant 

March - Aquamarine

An Artificial Night - Seanan McGuire 

Dream Quest of Vellit Boe - Kij Johnson

Unmasking Miss Appleby - Emily Larkin 

Apple Orchard - Susan Wiggs 

The Mistress of Spices - (Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni 

The Adept - Kathrine Kurtz/Deborah Harris 

Resisting Miss Merryweather - Emily Larkin 

Ice Cutters Daughter - Tracie Peterson 

Natural History of Dragons - Marie Brennan 

Etched in Bone - Anne Bishop 

April - Diamond 

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larson 

Dead Iron - Devon Monk 

Don't Turn Around - Michelle Gagnon 

Midwife of Venice - Roberta Rich 

One Way Fare - Hannah and Barb Taub 

The Necromancer - Michael Scott 

Dark Watcher - Lilith Saintcrow

May - Emerald 

Blood of the Earth - Faith Hunter 

Mapmakers War - Ronlyn Dominguez 

From the Corner of His Eye - Dean Koontz (

Cold Reign - Faith Hunter 

Aedyn Chronicles: Chosen One - Alister McGrath 

Lord of Chaos - Robert Jordan 

Fire Dance - Della Jacobs 

June - Pearl 

The Girl Who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson 

Gods and Ends - Devon Monk 

Ashley Bell - Dean Koontz 

Relics - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child 

Late Eclipses - Seanan McGuire 

July - Ruby 

The Rook - Daniel O'Malley 

Fire Up Your Writing Brain - Susan Reynolds 

The Beautiful Mystery - Louise Penny 

The Year of Yes - Shonda Rimes 

August - Sardonyx 

Summer Knight - Jim Butcher 

Ashes of Honor - Seanan McGuire 

Niccolo Rising - Dorothy Dunnett 

The Path of Daggers - Robert Jordan 

Where One Goes - B N Toler 

The Nature of the Beast - Louise Penny  

Do You Take This Daddy - Katie Meyer 

Area X: Southern Reach Trilogy -  Jeff VanderMeer

September - Sapphire 

Secrets in Death  - J.D. Robb 

Just One Damned Thing After Another - Jodi Taylor

Purity in Death - J.D. Robb 

Portrait in Death - J.D. Robb 

Winter's Heart - Robert Jordan 

Imitation in Death -J.D. Robb 

Reunion in Death - J.D. Robb 

6th Extinction - James Rollins 

October - Opal

Origin in Death - J.D. Robb  

The Tao of Pooh - Benjamin Hoff 

Archangels Viper - Nalini Singh 

The Winter Long - Seanan McGuire

November - Topaz 

Between Two Worlds - Tyler Henry 

Once Broken Faith - Seanan McGuire 

Sweep in Peace - Ilona Andrews 

Autistic Brain: Thinking Across the Spectrum  - Temple Grandin 

Signs of the Zodiac: The Scent of Shadows - Vicki Pettersson 

December - Turquoise 

Turquoise:  Turquoise Girl - Aimee & David Turlo (Ella Clah novel)

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 11

I'm going to get to a more thorough wrap-up later today or tomorrow - I've been busy finishing my last ebook for the year, which Overdrive was going to reclaim later today (and I can't just turn off WiFi, 'cause it's on my phone...)

But in a prelude, I just realized I have a conundrum in answer to this question:

·         \Did you end with a prime number of reads?

Well, I'm not done yet, but I'm at the nice round number 150.  151 is a prime number, so would be great as I have but one book currently in progress and enough time to finish it... BUT I have one more book for TWO BigBingo rows (and the other one is the Manga, so will take me probably an hour...).  So I seem to have a choice between ending on a Prime or finishing one more Bingo row...  :willy_nilly:   :lol:
  • Like 11

This is one of my favorite BaW weeks! I love the year end wrap up. It's so much fun reading through everyone's list and their comments.

Where did your reading take you this year?

Regency England. Okay okay. Maybe I also took a few trips to the modern England and Scotland. 2017 wasn't my year for diversity I guess.

What was your reading goal for the year and did you meet or beat your personal goal?  Did you end with a prime number of reads?

101! That’s what I’m at right now but I’ll probably get a few more books done before the end of the year because I’m about 70% on three or four books.

Top 5 (or more) favorite reads?

My tops for this year were a bunch of writing books, PG Wodehouse, and Georgette Heyer. A few books that jump out at me that I loved and would recommend are:

28363846.jpg27205699.jpg13707721.jpg

Which book stayed with you the longest after finishing it?

A tie between these two. One changed my attitude towards exercise and the other provided a reason for me to do more exercise.

721609.jpg25855243.jpg

Which book made you want to read it all over again?  

Everything by DE Stevenson. So lovely.

Which book did you think you were going to love, but didn't?

Glow Kids: How Screen Addition is Hijacking our Kids by Nicholas Kardaras. A combination of arrogant author and unconvincing data made this book pretty disappointing.

Which genres or authors you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised to like them?

Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. I read it for book club and loved it. Not at all my normal genre but it was just awesome.

Which countries and time periods did you visit?

Besides the non-fiction books I’ve read this year I only read a few books that weren’t set in the UK.

• Vegas (Fred the Vampire Accountant)
  • Three Pines (Gamache mysteries)
  • 400 miles north of everywhere (The Cat Who …)
  • Laos (Dr. Siri mysteries)

Which books or authors would you recommend everybody read? 

I had very little busts this year! If I had to do some “assigned reading†then I’d recommend Richard Peck as read alouds because they are just wonderful!

Which mini challenges did you enjoy? 

I enjoyed watching everyone else be successful with the gems challenges even though I only got Opal.

And last, but not least, share your list of completed reads! 

Amy’s Goodreads Year in Review

Edited by aggieamy
  • Like 13

“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.†~ Charles William Eliot

I believe I would rewrite that …

“BaW gals are the most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient book recommenders.â€

• Like 9

I enjoyed this list by author Stephanie Burgis; it contains books for middle graders, young adults, and adults.

Stephanie Burgis’ Comfort Reads

"This was a year of worldwide stress – so in other words, I leaned hard on comfort books this year! I’m splitting my favorites of the year into genres, but really, there’s no hierarchy among them.

If a book was fun, if it had characters I loved and a happy ending I could believe in, then I devoured it with so much gratitude this year. And these were my top favorites:..."

More bookish posts ~

Emily Asher-Perrin's   5 Things Albus Dumbledore Should Have Told Harry Potter

Judith Tarr's  How Does a Centaur Eat, Anyway?

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

I'm going to get to a more thorough wrap-up later today or tomorrow - I've been busy finishing my last ebook for the year, which Overdrive was going to reclaim later today (and I can't just turn off WiFi, 'cause it's on my phone...)

But in a prelude, I just realized I have a conundrum in answer to this question:

·         \Did you end with a prime number of reads?

Well, I'm not done yet, but I'm at the nice round number 150.  151 is a prime number, so would be great as I have but one book currently in progress and enough time to finish it... BUT I have one more book for TWO BigBingo rows (and the other one is the Manga, so will take me probably an hour...).  So I seem to have a choice between ending on a Prime or finishing one more Bingo row...  :willy_nilly:    :lol:

What a conundrum to have - read more books or stop at Prime.  No... can't...stop...reading....    :tongue_smilie:  Hmm! They are two separate goals for two separate groups now.  Maybe since the prime number is a 52 books challenge and Big Bingo is Stacia's thing, you could call 52 books completed with a prime number. Then keep on reading to get one or more rows.  Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming.  

• Like 4

I don’t want to say I *only* read 42 books this year because it’s the most I’ve read in a long while, but I am sad i didn’t make it to 52. Next year! Here are my answers for 42 books:

· Where did your reading take you this year?

I read a lot by women of color which I’m really happy about. I want to continue to read a diverse group of authors.

· What was your reading goal for the year and did you meet or beat your personal goal? Did you end with a prime number of reads? 52 and only read 42 :(

· Top 5 (or more) favorite reads?

The Handmaids Tale

Song of Solomon

Commonwealth

How to Raise A Wild Child

The Underground Railroad

· Which book stayed with you the longest after finishing it?

Eating Animals. No question. Lol

· Which book made you want to read it all over again?

Commonwealth Ann Patchett

· Which book did you think you were going to love, but didn't?

The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter

· Which genres or authors you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised to like them?

Louise Penny mysteries!

· Which countries and time periods did you visit?

Nigeria, South Africa, France, Iceland

· Which books or authors would you recommend everybody read?

Born A Crime and How to Raise A Wild Child

· Which mini challenges did you enjoy?

Didn’t do any

· Please share favorite covers or quotes

I’ll come back for this one

· And last, but not least, share your list of completed reads!

52 in 2017

1. I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual // Luvvie Ajayi

2. No-Drama Discipline // Daniel J. Siegel

3. Song of Solomon // Toni Morrison

4. Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives // Gretchen Rubin

5. Men We Reaped // Jesmyn Ward

6. Not Buying It: Stop Overspending and Start Raising Happier, Healthier, More Successful Kids // Brett Graff

7. Commonwealth // Ann Patchett

8. How Children Learn // John Holt

9. Born A Crime // Trevor Noah

10. The Underground Railroad // Colson Whitehead

11. The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving A F*ck // Sarah Knight

12. Upstream // Mary Oliver

13. The Handmaid's Tale // Margaret Atwood

14. Show Your Work // Austin Kleon

15. How to Raise A Wild Child // Scott D Sampson

16. A Course of Love // Alain de Botton

17. Bird by Bird // Anne Lamott

18. You are a Badass At Making Money // Jen Sincero

19. Long Divison // Kiese Laymon

20. Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? And other questions you should have answers to while working in the White House. // Alyssa Mastromonaco

21. The Yamas and Nayamas // Deborah Adele

22. The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter // Sue Monk Kidd

23. Still Life // Louise Penny

24. Yes Please // Amy Poehler

25. Yoga Anatomy // Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews

26. You Are A Bad Ass // Jen Sincero

27. What Happened // Hillary Rodham Clinton

28. A Fatal Grace // Louise Penney

29. The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga // Bernie Clark

30. Let’s Play Math // Denise Gaskin

31. The Heart of Yoga // TKS

32. Goodbye Vitamin // Rachel Kong

33. Everything I Never Told You // Celeste Ng

34. Eating Animals // Jonathan Safran Foer

35. Little Town on the Prairie // Laura Ingalls Wilder

36. These Happy Golden Years // Laura Ingalls Wilder

37. milk and honey // rupi kaur

38. Planting Seeds // Thich Nhat Hanh

39. Little Fires Everywhere // Celeste Ng

40. At Home in the World // Tsh Oxenreider

41. Americanah // Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Edited by Runningmom80
  • Like 11

U.S., England, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bohemia, Canada, Columbia, Denmark, Finland, France, Iceland, Italy, Mexico, Russia, Wales

What was your reading goal for the year and did you meet or beat your personal goal?  Did you end with a prime number of reads? Will read 59 books by Sunday (on the 59th now) (yes, 59 is prime)

Top 5 (or more) favorite reads?

Ali and Nino, Spaceman of Bohemia, News of the World, War and Peace. For nonfiction, perhaps The Nordic Theory of Everything influenced me the most.

Analyzing the stats for my 59 books:

Fiction 80%, Non-fiction 20% and I'm happy with this ratio (about 90-10 last year)

Male author 46%, female 54% (much more equal than last year's 28-72)

19% SciFi/Fantasy (way more than usual--never tracked before)

15% Mystery (down from 27% last year)

3% Classics (boo. Not enough. 10% last year)

71% written in 21st century, 27% in 20th, 2% in 19th century (just W&P)

63% paper library books

20% paper books I own or owned at the time--got rid of 4 of the 12

5% library audio books

10% kindle books I own

The List, pasted from Excel so excuse weird formatting:

1 Gift from the Sea 2 Castle of Wizardry 3 Enchanter's Endgame 4 The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat 5 The People of Sparks 6 The Diamond of Darkhold 7 The Prophet of Yonwood 8 Gilead 9 Love in the Time of Cholera 10 Redeeming Love 11 How To Be Black 12 Ali and Nino 13 The Shepherd's Crown 14 Beautiful Ruins 15 The Little Book of Hygge 16 In Arcadia 17 Too Hot to Handel 18 Hidden Figures 19 Etched in Bone 20 Where the Dead Lie 21 News of the World 22 The Razor's Edge 23 Tell Me Three Things 24 Jar City 25 The Complacent Class 26 Land of the Blind 27 Midnight Riot 28 Spaceman of Bohemia 29 All Our Wrong Todays 30 Hillbilly Elegy 31 A Death in Norfolk 32 A Disappearance in Drury Lane 33 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 34 Spare Parts 35 Into the Beautiful North 36 Rogue River Journal 37 Refuge 38 Orphan Train 39 A Rogue's Downfall 40 Radiance 41 The Nordic Theory of Everything 42 A Cousinly Connexion 43 Never Let Me Go 44 Dream Hoarders 45 War and Peace 46 Mink River 47 Soulless 48 Julia Valeria 49 A Morbid Taste for Bones 50 And All The Stars 51 Nights in Rodanthe 52 Circling the Sun 53 One Corpse Too Many 54 Aspiria Rising 55 Norse Mythology 56 Standard Deviation 57 Over Sea, Under Stone 58 The Dark is Rising 59 Monk's Hood

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 10

My Reading Wrap Up 

I went all over the place – USA, Italy, India, Russia, Iceland, Sweden, England, Scotland, Europe, Middle East, through the Arctic and up into outer space.  I time traveled back to the time of the dinosaurs, through Dystopian and Utopian worlds as well as into the future.

What was your reading goal for the year and did you meet or beat your personal goal?  Did you end with a prime number of reads?  

My primary goal was to complete Birthstone Bookology which I did and even did so with a prime number.  I also attempted to do A to Z by Author but didn’t get to Q, U, or X so calling that incomplete. I waited until later in the year to start, shouldn’t have left the more difficult letters  until last and ran out of time.  Oh well.   Overall I read 117 fiction books and 8 non fiction books.

My top favorite reads:   

My top read is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah, a historical fiction novel which left me misty eyed at the end and encompassed two timelines.  The story started out in 1995 and takes the reader back into France during WWII and the French resistance from 1939 to 1941.  Two sisters, separated by distance and estranged from their father, get involved in the French Underground.  One sister in the present is sick with cancer and finds an old trunk in her attic containing mementos of her life during WWII.   Memories takes the reader back during the days of the German takeover of France, resistance, fear, strength,  and survival.  The story is both haunting and beautiful and well worth reading.

Another favorite is Snowed by Maria Alexander who is  an old friend and once upon a time roommate back in my pre-married days.  Once I started reading, I  couldn't put it down. What an awesome and unique story. Instantly memories of high school filter through my brain as I read - bullies and clicks, geeks and jocks, trips and tricks in the hallways. Now throw into the pot - a death, a dark past, love, electronics, skepticism, a dash of spice, a tablespoon of humor, and a cup of mythology. Mix it all up and you have an action packed story that won't let you go until the end.  Snowed won the Bram Stoker award for superior achievement in a young adult novel.

I also fell in like with and consumed the  Inspector Armand Gamache books in Louise Penny’s detective series as well as Sir October Daye in  Seanan McGuire’s paranormal series.

Also Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series – I finished four more books including Lords of ChaosCrown of SwordsPath of Daggers and Winter’s Heart.

Which book stayed with you the longest after finishing it?  

The Nightingale definitely as well as Louise Penny’s The Beautiful Mystery

Which book made you want to read it all over again? 

The Beautiful Mystery.  I read it in ebook, then bought the book and downloaded it from audible.  Plus, anything by J.D. Robb or Faith Hunter make me want to read them all over again. I always end up reading their latest books fast,fast, fast, then read again much more slowly absorbing the nuances of the story. 

Which book did you think you were going to love, but didn't?  

Midnight Crossroads by Charlaine Harris.  I totally devoured her Sookie Stackhouse series so maybe I was expecting to love the characters just as much.

Which genres or authors you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised to like them?  

Dorothy Dunnet, Steig Larsson, Halldor Laxness and Kij Johnson are all new to me authors and I look forward to reading more books by them.

Please share favorite covers or quotes:

From the Nightingale – first line:  "If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: In love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are."

Statistics wise:

Physical books - 41  (the majority of which were over 500 pages)

E books - 74  (the majority of which were an average of 300 pages)

New to Me Authors - 29

Rereads not included in overall total:  Faith Hunter Jane Yellow Rock series 1 - 10 (ebook) as well as J.D. Robb's In Death series 1 - 24 (physical books) 

Written by female - 46

Written by male - 22

Most books were in the science fiction/fantasy genre including paranormal, urban fantasy, and magical realism.  Twenty were in the mystery genre as well as twelve historical with a few romance and literary reads thrown in for good measure. 

Complete list of books 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 9

I don’t want to say I *only* read 42 books this year because it’s the most I’ve read in a long while, but I am sad i didn’t make it to 52. Next year! Here are my answers for 42 books:

· Where did your reading take you this year?

I read a lot by women of color which I’m really happy about. I want to continue to read a diverse group of authors.

· What was your reading goal for the year and did you meet or beat your personal goal? Did you end with a prime number of reads? 52 and only read 42 :(

· Top 5 (or more) favorite reads?

The Handmaids Tale

Song of Solomon

Commonwealth

How to Raise A Wild Child

The Underground Railroad

· Which book stayed with you the longest after finishing it?

Eating Animals. No question. Lol

· Which book made you want to read it all over again?

Commonwealth Ann Patchett

· Which book did you think you were going to love, but didn't?

The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter

· Which genres or authors you thought you'd never read and was pleasantly surprised to like them?

Louise Penny mysteries!

· Which countries and time periods did you visit?

Nigeria, South Africa, France, Iceland

· Which books or authors would you recommend everybody read?

Born A Crime and How to Raise A Wild Child

· Which mini challenges did you enjoy?

Didn’t do any

· Please share favorite covers or quotes

I’ll come back for this one

· And last, but not least, share your list of completed reads!

52 in 2017

1. I'm Judging You: The Do-Better Manual // Luvvie Ajayi

2. No-Drama Discipline // Daniel J. Siegel

3. Song of Solomon // Toni Morrison

4. Better Than Before: Mastering the Habits of Our Everyday Lives // Gretchen Rubin

5. Men We Reaped // Jesmyn Ward

6. Not Buying It: Stop Overspending and Start Raising Happier, Healthier, More Successful Kids // Brett Graff

7. Commonwealth // Ann Patchett

8. How Children Learn // John Holt

9. Born A Crime // Trevor Noah

10. The Underground Railroad // Colson Whitehead

11. The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving A F*ck // Sarah Knight

12. Upstream // Mary Oliver

13. The Handmaid's Tale // Margaret Atwood

14. Show Your Work // Austin Kleon

15. How to Raise A Wild Child // Scott D Sampson

16. A Course of Love // Alain de Botton

17. Bird by Bird // Anne Lamott

18. You are a Badass At Making Money // Jen Sincero

19. Long Divison // Kiese Laymon

20. Who Thought This Was A Good Idea? And other questions you should have answers to while working in the White House. // Alyssa Mastromonaco

21. The Yamas and Nayamas // Deborah Adele

22. The Dance of the Dissedent Daughter // Sue Monk Kidd

23. Still Life // Louise Penny

24. Yes Please // Amy Poehler

25. Yoga Anatomy // Leslie Kaminoff and Amy Matthews

26. You Are A Bad Ass // Jen Sincero

27. What Happened // Hillary Rodham Clinton

28. A Fatal Grace // Louise Penney

29. The Complete Guide to Yin Yoga // Bernie Clark

30. Let’s Play Math // Denise Gaskin

31. The Heart of Yoga // TKS

32. Goodbye Vitamin // Rachel Kong

33. Everything I Never Told You // Celeste Ng

34. Eating Animals // Jonathan Safran Foer

35. Little Town on the Prairie // Laura Ingalls Wilder

36. These Happy Golden Years // Laura Ingalls Wilder

37. milk and honey // rupi kaur

38. Planting Seeds // Thich Nhat Hanh

39. Little Fires Everywhere // Celeste Ng

40. At Home in the World // Tsh Oxenreider

41. Americanah // Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Congratulations! I think you are amazing and please don’t feel bad that you didn’t reach 52. I’m celebrating that you read more than you have in a long time. Win win in my book! You read a lot of interesting and diverse range of books. I have this saying plastered to my refrigerator - Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.†You reached the stars, kiddo!

• Like 9

I believe I would rewrite that …

“BaW gals are the most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient book recommenders.â€

Love it! Great quote to keep in your signature. 🌷â¤ï¸ðŸ“š

• Like 8

I don't complete any of the challenges either.  However, I do like to see if I can quietly achieve 52 books read/listened to in a year.  Despite a very busy year I've managed to complete 74 books this year.

Thank you to everyone who shares the books they are reading on these threads  - I got introduced to what has become my favourite book for 2017: News of the World ♥

• Like 9

That should work. Everything I have read indicates that is how it is supposed to work. I seem to pick up extra readings when I move books on and off my currently reading list and accidentally hit read. When I actually read the book I have a double reading. I keep a 2017 shelf just so I can make sure my Goodreads challenge number is right or at least close. Since I like to record my novella's and short stories GR counts those in my total and I personally back them off. To get my Prime Number I may just have to use the Goodreads total.

It worked. I went in and made up some dates for the first time I read it and now my goal shows I have one more book to finish. I wasn't sure if you could add dates that are from before you joined Goodreads but now I know you can. I read the whole series some time in 2008 while I was laid up with a broken ankle so I just picked some dates from around that time. I didn't join GR until late 2011. I half expected an error message but it accepted the dates.

• Like 8

Several of you have posted links to Goodreads but when I click on them it only takes me to my personal page. Is there another way to see the links? Do we have to be friends on Goodreads first?

It's doing the same thing for me! :(

Oh no! :( I thought you could make those lists viewable to anyone regardless of whether they're Goodreads friends and even if they're not a GR member. I'll grab a list in text form and add it here.

• Like 5

Maybe an odd question,

but does anybody know more books like:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/19245347-the-rector-s-wife

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/178569.Jane_and_Prudence

I don’t laugh often loud, but these books made me laugh loudly

I like that :)

I think it is the humoristic curates/vicar/rector wife part that resonates to me.

• Like 4

Several of you have posted links to Goodreads but when I click on them it only takes me to my personal page. Is there another way to see the links? Do we have to be friends on Goodreads first?

It's doing the same thing for me! :(

Oh no! :( I thought you could make those lists viewable to anyone regardless of whether they're Goodreads friends and even if they're not a GR member. I'll grab a list in text form and add it here.

To fix the Goodreads issue, you need a link to the url with your number as opposed to "user".

Here's the code when I click on Year in Books: "www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/". This will take you to the generic user, usually your own year in books.

If you click on the links to share (pinterest, twitter, or facebook), a pop up should appear with the http code to your specific Goodreads link. There should be a number in the code. As an example, mine says "www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/3592215". Copy everything from "www" to the end of the number and update the link in your post. It should fix the problem.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 5

I just finally got a computer back last night after a few days without and I'm heading to the gym in a minute so I haven't had time to check on the thread this week at all.  Looking forward to reading everyone's wrap ups!

But - I'm so excited about finishing Bingo that I just had to come and post!

For my last two books I read The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin as my Western (title obtained from a list of 'westerns for people who don't like westerns' thanks to google).  It was alright.  Quiet. I felt a strong sense of impending disaster for pretty much the whole book which made it hard to read at times although in the end nothing as terrible as I anticipated happened.  It was very interesting to me how introspective the author was able to make it, and her use of dialogue - people spoke but she told you what they said rather than having conversations occur.  It helped solidify the quiet, interior nature of the characters.

And then I read The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman for my last square - Steampunk.  I was not looking foward to this square - but I loved this book!  It was the first time in a long long time that as I got to the half way point of the book, I started hoping that this was not the only book with these characters.  I got my wish - the book resolved nicely but it is the first in a series!  I'm very excited and it was such a lovely way to end the year.  I loved the premise of alternate worlds that are all slightly different to explain the steampunk-ness of the world in which the characters have their adventure.  I enjoyed the characters and what looks like might be the beginning of a slow romance.  I even enjoyed the villains as they were complicated villains.

I have to go pack for the gym but I'll be back to wrap up both my bingo squares and my overall list and see what everyone else has read.

Also, this bingo experience really goes to show exactly why I could never have finished my master's degree - I am very good at focusing and doing things at the last minute.  It is not possible to focus and write an entire thesis at 'the last minute'.  Hence - I finished all the master's coursework but dropped out after finishing my proposal for my thesis and dragging my heels on actually writing anything for several years.

• Like 10

A bookish post ~

Invest in Yourself in 2018 With These Outstanding Books

A one day only classic that is currently free for Kindle readers ~

Memoir of Col. Benjamin Tallmadge by Benjamin Tallmadge 

"Guerilla, rebel, politician, spy—Col. Benjamin Tallmadge lived one of the most remarkable lives of the American Revolution

When British troops defeated the Continental Army on Long Island, Gen. George Washington was forced to abandon New York in order to save the revolution. The British established their headquarters in New York City, beginning an occupation that would last the length of the war. Priceless intelligence flowed through the city’s harbor, and Washington wanted to claim it as his own. To Benjamin Tallmadge, a young officer of the Continental Army, the general assigned an impossible mission: Infiltrate New York, establish a spy network, and report everything the British know.

Throughout the war, Tallmadge and his spies collected intelligence on troop movements, sneak attacks, and the treachery of Benedict Arnold. Nearly two and a half centuries later, the heroic exploits of the Culper Spy Ring serve as the inspiration for the acclaimed TV series Turn: Washington’s Spies and the video game Assassin’s Creed III. In this lively and engaging memoir, the days of revolution are remembered by a patriot who fought in the shadows—and helped redefine the nature of espionage."

Also currently free ~

One of my favorites, a science fiction romance:  Dark Horse  by Michelle Diener

Still Life With Murder  by P.B. Ryan

The Year We Hid Away  by Sarina Bowen

The Arabian Nights  by Andrew Lang

The Aliomenti Saga Box  by Alex Albrinck

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 8

Maybe an odd question,

I think it is the humoristic curates/vicar/rector wife part that resonates to me.[/quote

Crampton Hodnet, also by Barbara Pym, is humorous. It's also set in Oxford (with a curate!) and is one of my favorites of hers. I'm sorry I don't know how to link. I'm a long-time lurker posting for the first time.

Edited by Jane Louise
  • Like 7

I split my readings into three (non-overlapping) 2017 shelves:

• Adult and YA
  • Chidren's and Middle Grades
  • Shorts
The Shorts is for novellas, short stories, quickie self-helps, and short graphic novels.

My 2017 count is:

Adult/YA: 56

Children's/Middle Grades: 7

Shorts: 14

I still have to go through and do the fine-grain wrap up.

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 8

Maybe an odd question,

I think it is the humoristic curates/vicar/rector wife part that resonates to me.[/quote

Crampton Hodnet, also by Barbara Pym, is humorous. It's also set in Oxford (with a curate!) and is one of my favorites of hers. I'm sorry I don't know how to link. I'm a long-time lurker posting for the first time.

Welcome to the forums/thread, Jane Louise. What kinds of books do you like to read? 

:)

• Like 5

Is Wee Girl to the age where she's interested in Calvin and Hobbes at all?

She's read some, but can't make any sense of it.

:grouphug: VC, I feel your pain! No dishwasher and no water in the kitchen for Christmas is so not fun. I hope Wednesday goes well!

Did you get your dishwasher fixed yet?  What books did you end up getting from Amazon?

I appreciate the sympathy. So we got the part, replaced it, and the dishwasher worked ... but it leaked uncontrollably from the connection and we couldn't make it stop. So we paid $100 to our lovely appliance guy to make the leaking stop. Turns out we needed to replace the corroded $2 elbow connector to the valve assembly, too. $2 for the part, and $98 for knowing that that was how to stop the leak, I guess. But I can use my kitchen!

Books purchased (Merry Christmas to me!)

Emile Zola, La Bête Humaine

Olivia Manning, Fortunes of War: The Levant Trilogy

Gregor von Rezzori, Memoirs of an Anti-Semite: A Novel in 5 Stories

Jean d'Ormesson, The Glory of the Empire: A Novel, A History

Simon Leys, The Death of Napoleon

Charles Beaumont, Perchance to Dream: Selected Stories (this one is for dh)

• Like 8

But - I'm so excited about finishing Bingo that I just had to come and post!

For my last two books I read The Orchardist by Amanda Coplin as my Western (title obtained from a list of 'westerns for people who don't like westerns' thanks to google).  It was alright.  Quiet. I felt a strong sense of impending disaster for pretty much the whole book which made it hard to read at times although in the end nothing as terrible as I anticipated happened.  It was very interesting to me how introspective the author was able to make it, and her use of dialogue - people spoke but she told you what they said rather than having conversations occur.  It helped solidify the quiet, interior nature of the characters.

And then I read The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman for my last square - Steampunk.  I was not looking foward to this square - but I loved this book!  It was the first time in a long long time that as I got to the half way point of the book, I started hoping that this was not the only book with these characters.  I got my wish - the book resolved nicely but it is the first in a series!  I'm very excited and it was such a lovely way to end the year.  I loved the premise of alternate worlds that are all slightly different to explain the steampunk-ness of the world in which the characters have their adventure.  I enjoyed the characters and what looks like might be the beginning of a slow romance.  I even enjoyed the villains as they were complicated villains.

Congratulations Raifta on completing Bingo.  Looking forward to seeing your list of reads.  PM your address information along with email so I can send out bingo prize. 

Maybe an odd question,

Hello and welcome! So pleased to meet you!

• Like 5

Thank you for the suggestion! the description at Goodreads does not appeal to me at first sight, but will keep it in mind, just in case.

The 2 books I mentioned are about already married women and their struggles to fit in the expections of the parish of their husband.

How to link a book:

Find the book at goodreads, amazon, or library website.

Click and select the whole adress at the top of your screen,

Copy (with right mouse button at computer or select copy on a tablet/phone)

Come back to here and paste

• Like 5

Loesje,

A couple of idea's that you might like in the cozy genre with an interesting vicar and PCC issues. Not Barbara Pym type but I like them and think you might enjoy them.

I love Judith Cutler in general. She writes great police proceduals. This is the first in a newish series which I am hoping she continues. In this one the new wife definitely struggles to meet expectations.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20767173-death-in-elysium?ac=1&from_search=true

I love this series about a former MI5 agent turned Vicar. Max Tudor is wonderful! Eventually he falls in love with an unusual choice for a vicar's wife.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10946475-wicked-autumn?ac=1&from_search=true

Raifta, Congratulations on your Bingo. The Invisible Library series is one of my favorites.

Jane Louise, Welcome! I hope you decide to join us more often.

• Like 7

Here's my list for those who don't want to or can't go to Goodreads. I'm also going to try Erin's fix and see if that works. Link will be at the bottom of the post.

All books were Kindle versions unless otherwise noted. I don't generally do stats but as I was typing this I noticed I read quite a few series books, and I read many of my BaW bingo books in the first half of the year.

107. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen – reread (not finished as of this writing but will be finished today (Dec. 29).

106. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling – reread, audio book

105. The Summer of the Danes, Ellis Peters – a Brother Cadfael mystery, audio book

104. Diabetes Weight Loss Week by Week – read because of the healthy eating/lifestyle recommendations; I don’t have diabetes nor am I at risk.

103. The Girl With Seven Names, Hyeonseo Lee

102. The Potter’s Field, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

101. Acqua Alta, Donna Leon – an Inspector Brunetti mystery

100. The Painted Veil, W. Somerset Maugham – audio book

99. The Heretic’s Apprentice, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

98. A Death in the Small Hours, Charles Finch – a Charles Lenox mystery

97. The Confession of Brother Haluin, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

96. For Deader or Worse, Sheri Cobb South – a John Pickett mystery, paperback

95. Hyperion, Dan Simmons – BaW bingo Outer Space square

94. The Hermit of Eyton Forest, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

93. Murder is Easy, Agatha Christie

92. Under the Banner of Heaven, Jon Krakauer

91. Murder in Mayfair, D.M. Quincy

90. The Time Machine, H.G. Wells – BaW Bingo Science Fiction square

89. The Crow Trap, Ann Cleeves – a Vera Stanhope mystery

88. Death and Judgment, Donna Leon – Inspector Brunetti

87. The Johnstown Flood, David McCullough

86. Just One Look, Harlan Coben – BaW Birthstone Challenge October, Opal (letter O)

85. Last Plane Out of Saigon, Richard Pena – BaW Birthstone Challenge October, Opal (letter P)

84. London Under, Peter Ackroyd – BaW Birthstone Challenge October, Opal (letter L)

83. Mrs. Sherlock Holmes, Brad Ricca

82. Nicholas and Alexandra, Robert K. Massie – BaW Birthstone Challenge October, Opal (letter A)

81. The Rose Rent, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

80. Den of Thieves, James B. Stewart – BaW Bingo Finance square

79. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy – reread, BaW read-along

78. Hamilton: The Revolution, Lin-Manuel Miranda – a behind the scenes look at the making of the musical, audio book

77. I Am Malala, Malala Yousafzai – audio book

76. Voice of the Violin, Andrea Camilleri – an Inspector Montalbano mystery

75. The Raven in the Foregate, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

74. The Ring of Solomon, Jonathan Stroud, BaW Bingo Selected by a Friend square

73. Dressed for Death, Donna Leon – Inspector Brunetti

72. An Excellent Mystery, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

71. Dear Committee Members, Julie Schumacher – audio book

70. The Wars of the Roses: The Fall of the Plantagenets and the Rise of the Tudors, Dan Jones – I started this in 2016 but didn’t get far. When I read it this year I started from the beginning again.

69. The Pilgrim of Hate. Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

68. Death in a Strange Country, Donna Leon – Inspector Brunetti

67. A Wedding Worth Waiting For, Katie Meyer – BaW Bingo Local Author Square (also WTM’s ktgrok who lives about 45 min. from me though we’ve never met)

66. Too Hot to Handel, Sheri Cobb South – John Pickett mystery

65. Death at La Fenice, Donna Leon – Inspector Brunetti

64. Dinner Most Deadly, Sheri Cobb South – John Pickett mystery, paperback

63. Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America’s Shining Women, Kate Moore

62. Family Plot, Sheri Cobb South – John Pickett mystery

61. The Histories, Herodotus – BaW Bingo Ancient square, audio book

60. Persuasion, Jane Austen – reread

59. The Bridge of San Luis Rey, Thornton Wilder

58. Dead Man’s Ransom, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

57. The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah – IRL book club

56. Hypothermia, Arnaldur Idridason – an Inspector Erlunder mystery

55. The Devil’s Novice, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

54. The Good Earth, Pearl S. Buck – BaW Birthstone Challenge June, Pearl; BaW Bingo Classic square

53. A Mystery at Carlton House, Ashley Gardner – a Captain Lacey mystery

52. A Dead Bore, Sheri Cobb South – John Pickett mystery

51. The King’s Speech: How One Man Saved the British Monarchy, Mark Logue (Lionel Logue’s grandson), audio book

50. Mortal Engines, Phillip Reeve – BaW Bingo Steampunk square

49. The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow Place, Julie Berry – audio book

48. When Breath Becomes Air, Paul Kalanithi – IRL book club

47. The Talented Mr. Ripley, Patricia Highsmith

46. The Sanctuary Sparrow, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

45. The Razor’s Edge, W Somerset Maugham – BaW read-along

44. Dr. Zhivago, Boris Pasternak – BaW Bingo Over 500 Pages square

43. Arctic Chill, Arnaldur Indridason – Inspector Erlunder

42. Big Little Lies, Liane Moriarty – audio book

41. True Grit, Charles Portis, BaW Bingo Female Adventure square

40. Heirs and Graces, Rhys Bowen – Her Royal Spyness series, audio book

39. Dodge City: Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, and the Wickedest Town in the American West, Tom Clavin

38. Keep Moving: And Other Tips About Old Age, Dick Van Dyke – audio book

37. The Virgin in the Ice: Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

36. Bellevue: Three Centuries of Medicine and Mayhem in America’s Most Storied Hospital, David Oshinsky

35. The Unexpected Mrs. Polifax, Dorothy Gilman – audio book

34. Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclare Castle, Fiona Carnarvon

33. The Moving Finger, Agatha Christie – BaW Bingo Mystery square (not that I had to try hard for that one lol)

32. The Secret History, Donna Tartt – audio book

31. In Milady’s Chamber, Sheri Cobb South – John Pickett mystery

30. The Draining Lake, Arnaldur Indridason – Inspector Erlunder

29. The Leper of St. Giles, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

28. Alexander Hamilton, Ron Chernow – another one I started last year, stopped, then started over from the beginning.

27. Never Caught: The Washingtons’ Relentless Pursuit of their Runaway Slave, Ona Judge, Erica Armstrong Dunbar

26. The Sisters Brothers, Patrick deWitt

25. Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali – BaW Bingo One Word Title square

24. The Man in the Queue, Josephine Tey

23. The Cellist of Sarajevo, Steven Galloway – BaW Bingo Eastern Europe square

22. Naughty in Nice, Rhys Bowen – Her Royal Spyness, audio book

21. Stories of Your Life and Others, Ted Chang – BaW Bingo Collection of Short Stories square

20. A Burial at Sea, Charles Finch – Charles Lenox series, BaW Bingo Seaworthy square

19. The Parable of the Sower, Octavia Butler – IRL book club, BaW Bingo Dystopian square

18. St. Peter’s Fair, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book, BaW Bingo Free Space

17. Song of Solomon, Toni Morrison – audio book, BaW Bingo Written in Child or Spouse Birth Year (written in my stepson’s birth year)

16. A Place Beyond Courage, Elizabeth Chadwick – paperback, BaW Bingo Middle Ages square

15. Lab Girl, Hope Jahren – audio book

14. Hidden Figures: The Untold Story of the African American Women Who Helped Win the Space Race, Margot Lee Shetterly – BaW Bingo Debut Author square

13. Brat Farrar, Josephine Tey

12. Three Men in a Boat, Jerome K. Jerome – BaW Bingo Prime Number square

11. The Marriage of Opposites, Alice Hoffman – IRL book club

10. Doctor Thorne, Anthony Trollope

9. Norwegian Wood, Haruki Murakami – BaW Bingo Translated square

8. News of the World, Paulette Jiles – BaW Bingo Western square

7. Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End, Atul Gawande

6. Royal Blood, Rhys Bowen – audio book, BaW Bingo Flufferton square

5. Like Water for Chocolate, Laura Esquivel – IRL book club

4. Cotillion, Georgette Heyer – paperback, I would have used this for the flufferton square but I started reading it just 2 days shy of 2017.

3. Kathleen, Christopher Morley – BaW Bingo Your Name in the Title square

2. Monk’s Hood, Ellis Peters – Brother Cadfael, audio book

1. Best. State. Ever. A Florida Man Defends His Homeland, Dave Barry – IRL book club

https://www.goodreads.com/user/year_in_books/2017/7131863

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 8

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you, Loesje, for typing out how to link.

I have gotten many good suggestions for books from this thread through the years, and I've wanted to join in. Loesje's post about books I've enjoyed by Barbara Pym and Joanna Trollope convinced me!

A favorite this year that I heard about here was News of the World. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25817493-news-of-the-world?ac=1&from_search=true

• Like 6

My 2017 reading list. I don't think I actually pulled myself together sufficiently last year to post my final list. I only got halfway through Hakluyt, but counted it anyway, because. Also I counted Milton's long essay "Areopagitica" because Middle Girl and I read it together, out loud, and pulled in lots of discussion of the first amendment and related case law. So it took a verrrry long time.

* = chunkster

1. Richard Hakluyt, Voyages (vols. 1, 2, 3, 4)*

2. Teresa of Avila, The Interior Castle

3. Frank Norris, Octopus

4. Mark Twain, The Prince and the Pauper

5. Kingsley Amis, The Green Man

6. Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

7. Joseph Conrad, Victory

8. Dylan Thomas, Adventures in the Skin Trade & Other Stories

9. Graham Greene, The Ministry of Fear

10. A. E. Housman, A Shropshire Lad

11. Andre Malraux, Man’s Fate

12. Kingsley Amis, Ending Up

13. Charles Lamb, Essays of “Eliaâ€

14. Arthur Miller, Death of a Salesman

15. Gilbert Highet, People, Places, and Books

16. Turold, The Song of Roland

17. Charles Portis, True Grit

18. Charles Lamb, Last Essays of “Eliaâ€

19. Xenophon, The Persian Expedition (Anabasis)

20. A. A. Milne, The Red House Mystery

21. Jo Ella Powell Exley, Texas Tears and Texas Sunshine: Voices of Frontier Women

22. Bentley, ed.: The Classic Theatre: 6 Italian Plays

23. Stephen Crane, The Third Violet

24. A. E. Housman, More Poems

25. Joseph Conrad, Youth/ Heart of Darkness/ The End of the Tether

26. Thomas Hardy, The Return of the Native

27. Shakespeare, The Comedy of Errors

28. August Strindberg, Easter

29. James Sutherland, English Satire

30. Vicki Baum, Grand Hotel

31. Thomas De Quincey, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater

32. Seneca, Phaedra

33. Karel Capek, R.U.R./ The Insect Play/ The Makropulos Case

34. Graham Greene, Monsignor Quixote

35. Somerset Maugham, The Razor’s Edge

36. William Faulkner, The Reivers

37. James Hogg, Selected Poems

38. George Douglas, The House with the Green Shutters

39. James Hogg, The Three Perils of Man*

40. George Mackay Brown, Andrina & Other Stories

41. Robert Frost, Selected Poems

42. George Mackay Brown, An Orkney Tapestry

43. Max Beerbohm, The Incomparable Max

44. Joseph Conrad, An Outcast of the Islands

45. John Prebble, Culloden

46. Thomas Hardy, A Changed Man & Other Stories

47. Evelyn Waugh, Black Mischief

48. Tolstoy, War and Peace*

49. Voltaire, Candide

50. Ken Kesey, One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

51. Breece D’J Pancake, The Stories of Breece D’J Pancake

52. Francis Bacon, Essays

53. H. G. Wells, The Invisible Man

54. Marguerite Yourcenar, Hadrian’s Memoirs

55. Joseph Conrad, The Nigger of the Narcissus

56. Joseph Conrad, Typhoon & Other Stories

57. Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms

58. Stevie Smith, Novel on Yellow Paper

59. Larry McMurtry, Horseman, Pass By

60. Dashiell Hammett, The Thin Man

61. Henry David Thoreau, Walden & Civil Disobedience

62. Franz Kafka, The Trial

63. Henry Green, Loving

64. Leo XIII, “A Light in the Heavensâ€: Great Encyclical Letters of Pope Leo XIII*

65. Ovid, Amores

66. Ovid, Ars Amatoria

67. Somerset Maugham, The Magician

68. Henry James, The Reverberator

69. John Updike, The Maples Stories

70. Henrik Ibsen, Peer Gynt

71. Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

72. Vladimir Nabokov, Pale Fire

73. Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea

74. Rabelais, Gargantua and Pantagruel*

75. Dashiell Hammett, Red Harvest

76. Alexander Pope, The Rape of the Lock (illus. Aubrey Beardsley)

77. J. F. Powers, Morte D’Urban

78. James Reeves, ed., Georgian Poetry

79. Walter Scott, The Antiquary

80. Athanasius, Select Treatises (trans. J. H. Newman)

81. Henry Alexander, The Story of Our Language

82. Emile Zola, Nana

83. Rose Macaulay, The Towers of Trebizond

84. Edwin Muir, Selected Poems

85. Joris-Karl Huysmans, Marthe

86. Milton, Areopagitica

86 total. Now to see if I can fit enough of it into Bingo squares to get a bingo.

• Like 6

I have gotten many good suggestions for books from this thread through the years, and I've wanted to join in. Loesje's post about books I've enjoyed by Barbara Pym and Joanna Trollope convinced me!

A favorite this year that I heard about here was News of the World. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25817493-news-of-the-world?ac=1&from_search=true

You’re Welcome and glad you joined in!

• Like 4

2017 REVIEW

I’m calling 2017 done. I’ve gone through my 2017 books and grouped them into categories. I couldn’t pick a top five so I’m cheating and picking five in each category. I bounced all over the place throughout the year, my interests usually triggered either by a Great Courses series or book discussions here. I was able to complete the Bingo as well as the A-Z challenge, but felt burned out on the exercise by the time I reached my last book. I did enjoy The Razor's Edge read along, even if I ended up dropping out of War and Peace.

In my first review of the year I set out four goals:

• Read 200 books: According to Goodreads Year in Review, I read 263 books so I met this goal and finished with a prime number.

• Broaden my reading with more translated books, literary authors, and poetry: I think I read more translated books, but not as many literary authors as I’d hoped and definitely very little poetry. I couldn’t get into the right headspace for it. I think I failed at the specifics of this goal, but did broaden my reading in different directions.

• Tag along with Rose on Big Bingo: I failed at this one. I was so focused on following my rabbit trails that I couldn’t work up the effort to follow Big Bingo. Failed.

• Buy fewer books: I used the library much more than I have in years past. I usually had several physical library books out at one time, plus a few electronic books and an audiobook. I did purchase a few more books than I wanted to, but most were used and nearly all were “keepersâ€, meaning I want them on my bookshelves. I’ll say I met this goal.

So I met two out of my four goals. I knew broadening my reading would be a tough one as the poetry and literary genres aren’t my typical interests. The Big Bingo tag along fell by the wayside as I followed new topics that popped up. I’ll need to consider my own limits as I think about my 2018 goals. I know I won’t be planning bingo reads next year, letting my reading develop as I discover new interests. As the year progressed, I felt pressure to finish my planned books, which is my own fault, and it made reading feel like a chore.

NONFICTION

Economics/Finance

Inspired by the BAW finance week, I picked up several finance books and I've planned to read several more for 2018. My favorites were:

• The Big Short - a history of the sub-prime mortgage crisis of 2008

• Broke, USA - a look at predatory lending in the years leading up to 2008

• The Quants - another 2008 history on how mathematical gurus and their computer models nearly destroyed financial markets.

• When to Rob a Bank - an explanation for counterintuitive human behavior.

• The Undoing Project - one of my favorite nonfiction reads of the year and the best of category. Michael Lewis writes about two psychologists studying irrationality in markets, economics, finance, and humanity.I particularly enjoyed the deliberate deceptive structure as my initial impression of the two men changed as I read the book.

History

My top history reads this year:

• A History of Russia and A History of Eastern Europe: two wonderful listens as the lecturers had an obvious love for the subject without turning away from the harsher realities. That led to picking up a dusty read Gulag, which has languished on my shelves for too many years, and Red Famine. I plan to use the coursebooks to find additional books in 2018.

• The Butchering Art: a history of John Lister who brought hygienic practices to Victorian era surgery.

• The Burning: a history of the Tulsa Race Riots of 1921, which is well-written, harrowing, and a critical read for students of US history, inspired by a YA fiction centered on the event.

• We Wish to Inform You that Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families: testimonies from survivors of the 1994 Rwandan massacre as well as a history of the events leading up to the massacre and the aftermath. The author’s anger and frustration with politicians and international organizations seep through each section. It was a tough listen (as I knew it would be), but there’s a direct link between what happened in Rwanda and the events covered in the book below.

• King Leopold’s Ghost: the best of category, I highly recommend this brutal history of the Belgium exploitation of the Congo, inspired by the classic Heart of Darkness and the alt-history Everfair.

Science

My five star science reads were:

• Understanding Human and Cultural Geography: how humans influence and are influenced by geography (I found this while exploring criticisms of Jared Diamond’s Guns, Germs, and Steel which I recommended in the past, but now don’t).

• Life on the Edge: an intriguing combination of quantum mechanics and biology, highlighting research on photosynthesis, migratory behavior, and smelling roses.

• Being Mortal: for all the reasons mentioned by everyone else. A must-read for those dealing with chronic illness and aging.

• The Soul of an Octopus: an exploration of consciousness in intelligent invertebrates.

• Full House: a look at the development and complexities of biological systems. Being Gould, baseball analogies are included. I plan to make Gould a focus author for 2018.

FICTION

Fantasy/Science Fiction

I can’t pick just five books so I’ll pick five authors instead:

• Terry Pratchett: This is the year I finally read Pratchett! I had planned on finishing all the Discworld books this year but didn’t. I think I still have another twenty or so to read, but my favorites were Mort, The Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky, Reaper Man, Hogfather, Thief of Time, Going Postal, and Thud!. We also watched Going Postal from the BBC, which was an enjoyable short series.

• Ben Aaronovitch: I think JennW inspired me to pick up the Peter Grant series, an urban fantasy set in London. I only read two, Rivers of London and Moon Over Soho, but I plan to finish reading the remaining books.

• V. E. Schwab: I read and enjoyed all three of her books A Darker Shade of Magic, A Gathering of Shadows, and A Conjuring of Light.

• Robin Hobb: I’d read her Assassin series, but I actually enjoyed the Liveship Traders books more: Ship of Magic, The Mad Ship, and Ship of Destiny.

• Cathrynne Valente: My favorite fantasy author. I haven’t read her entire catalog, but every book I have read feels like she’s pushing herself to create something strange and powerful. Deathless was a beautiful, brutal book and fit perfectly with what I imagined a modern telling of a Russian fairy tale would be. One of my favorite reads of 2017 and I’ll likely re-read it in 2018.

Literature

I’ll group my favorite reads in this category by location:

• Japan: Norwegian Wood was my second Murakami read and more enjoyable than 1Q84 though I’ll admit it might be because I didn’t know what I was getting into with the latter. I also enjoyed Pachinko, about three generations of a Korean family in Japan.

• Russia: Classics of Russian Literature was a charming survey of Russian literature and a definite recommend if you or someone you know likes BARBs. The lecturer has a lovely speaking and singing voice and usually translates the Russian line-by-line then sings or speaks the Russian all in one go so you can hear the music of the words. As my sibling and I share an enjoyment of Valente’s books, the suggested The Master and Margarita was an engaging read, where the devil comes to Soviet Russia and has a grand time. I had planned to read-along War and Peace, but life and laziness caused me to set it aside. I finally finished just before the end of the year and very much enjoyed the Pevear/Volokhonsky translation.

• England: With the announcement of Kazuo Ishiguro’s Nobel Prize in Literature I worked through his unread novels as well as a re-read of The Remains of the Day, which remains one of my favorite books.

• Frontiers: A Dream in Polar Fog which is actually set in northern Siberia, but counts as a frontier story. From the BAW recommendations, I enjoyed News of the World and found delightful the audiobook True Grit as read by Donna Tartt. It’s planned for our family’s next road trip.

• Is this the real life/Is this just fantasy?: The magical trippy Mr. Fox as recommended by Stacia. Just a lovely book and I plan to read more from Helen Oyeyemi.

STATS

For some reason, the books I downloaded aren’t adding up to the final 263 number. I don't feel like pouring over the spreadsheet to find the missing books so I'll say the breakdown below is close enough.

ETA (12/30/17): It was bugging me that the numbers weren't adding up so I double-checked every book. The Goodreads final number is wrong. I only read 262 books so I'll finish up a fantasy book in progress before the end of the year to bring my total to 263. 

Authors

Male - 167

Female - 88

Group - 8

Genres

Fiction

Literature - 49

Science Fiction - 38

Fantasy - 69

Western - 3

Horror - 10

Romance - 9

Mystery - 6

Poetry - 1

Nonfiction

HIstory - 24

Memoirs - 9

Biography - 2

Science - 15

Food - 2

Finance - 10

Mythology - 12

Writing - 4  

Pages

>500: 45

<200: 27

Total: 96,389

Average: 366

Published Year

1600s: 1

1700s: 1

1800s: 7

1900 -1950s: 7

1960s: 9

1970s: 4

1980s: 18

1990s: 29

2000s: 49

2010s:138

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 7

With all the focus on wrap-ups I haven't mentioned any of the books I'm currently reading, but won't finish before 2018 arrives.

• Prairie Fires: The American Dreams of Laura Ingalls Wilder, Caroline Fraser - It's good so far but I'm only at 5%.
  • Pitch Perfect: A Quest for Collegiate A Capella Glory, Mickey Rapkin - This is the book that brought about the original movie and started the craze. I was curious.
  • The Diet Fix: Why Diets Fail and How to Make Yours Work, Yoni Freedhoff - This was recommended on the Science Based Medicine blog, whose contributors I respect (most but not all are doctors or scientists). Hoping to start the new year with some new habits.
  • A Gentleman in Moscow, Amor Towles

Ignore any other titles you see on my Currently Reading shelf on Goodreads. These are the only ones I'm actively reading now.

I also started listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix but am not getting far. I listen when I do housework, laundry, or when I cook (or clean the kitchen) and I haven't been doing much of any of those this week. That's okay. I've read and listened to the whole series so many times that it doesn't matter if it takes a while to get back to it. I'll know exactly what happened and what's coming next when I do listen again.

Welcome Jane Louise! I get so many good suggestions for books from these threads too. It seems like many of us loved News of the World. I doubt that book would have ever come to my attention if not for the Book a Week threads.

• Like 7

Congratulations! I think you are amazing and please don’t feel bad that you didn’t reach 52. I’m celebrating that you read more than you have in a long time. Win win in my book! You read a lot of interesting and diverse range of books. I have this saying plastered to my refrigerator - Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.†You reached the stars, kiddo!

I really appreciate this. :)

• Like 4

I'm a long-time lurker posting for the first time.

Welcome, Jane Louise!

Trying to link a book based on loesje's instructions just to see what happens.

The Bright Hour by Nina Riggs

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34104392-the-bright-hour?ac=1&from_search=true

Edited: What do you ladies see? The book or my page? 

I don't have a Goodreads account; for me, both links lead to theGoodreads page for The Bright Hour.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Is anyone planning on other challenges in addition to the 52 books? I’m stuck deciding between Modern Mrs Darcy, Book riot and popsugar

I'm planning to take a break from challenges for the most part. If I do any it will be Modern Mrs. Darcy's. Also, I might join in a read-along or two if the book appeals to me.

• Like 8