Menu

I need a side dish to take to a family gathering. Something simple, Any suggestions?

Tap

I will be cooking in a hotel suite so a small kitchen with basic appliances/pans.  

I am already making yams in one crock pot and gravy in another (hosts request).  I am taking rolls but would like to bring one more side dish item.  Any suggestions?  

Host is providing Ham, green bean casserole and mashed potatoes.

Guests are al bringing sides.  

There are about 20 guests and 5 of them are my crew. 

I always yearn for unadorned or barely adorned veggies at holiday meals, because everything is always so heavy and carb-y or sweet. And because green bean casserole is absolutely gross  ;) . Hence my suggestions:

Buy a big bag of salad (or 2-3 smaller ones) that comes with the dressing and "fixings". Put into a big Dollar Store plastic bowl (so you don't have to bring you own). Serve.

Buy a platter of cut-up veggies that comes with a dip at the grocery store. Uncover. Serve.

A few bags of frozen peas or corn or even mixed vegetables. Defrost in a Dollar Store plastic bowl in the microwave, pat dry with a paper towel or napkins, add some slices of butter, microwave till very warm, stir/toss with the now-melted butter. Serve.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 4

I always yearn for unadorned or barely adorned veggies at holiday meals, because everything is always so heavy and carb-y or sweet. And because green bean casserole is absolutely gross ;) . Hence my suggestions:

Buy a big bag of salad (or 2-3 smaller ones) that comes with the dressing and "fixings". Put into a big Dollar Store plastic bowl (so you don't have to bring you own). Serve.

Buy a platter of cut-up veggies that comes with a dip at the grocery store. Uncover. Serve.

A few bags of frozen peas or corn or even mixed vegetables. Defrost in a Dollar Store plastic bowl in the microwave, pat dry with a paper towel or napkins, add some slices of butter, microwave till very warm, stir/toss with the now-melted butter. Serve.

This.

Some holiday meals look like the proverbial heart attack on a plate. For me, a simple vegetable dressed or cooked with olive oil (light on the salt) would be most welcome.

Or, a Middle Eastern salad I love is sliced naval oranges, red onion, and black olives in a vinaigrette dressing.

Another salad I like is baby arugula, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts. Lemon poppyseed dressing is nice. My recipe includes shaved Parmesan too, but you probably don't have a grater....

• Like 2

I sauté or roast butternut squash a lot. Sauté in a little olive oil and butter, with salt, pepper and chili powder. Roasting works pretty much the same way. Just taste until you like it.

You also could roast Brussels sprouts or a mixture of root veggies—cubed turnips, rutabaga, sweet potato, carrots, etc. It would be especially easy if you can peel and dice everything at home.

Stewed apples also, light on the sugar, might be appealing.

What proportions do you use? Is it mostly oranges? This sounds interesting, I’d like to try it.

No actual recipe. Maybe one one to several large oranges? Olives (kalamata type) scar reread about.

This would be very close. I didn't use the extra spices, but they sound good. The lime juice vinaigrette works for Moslems who do not want alcohol (vinegar being made from wine). I find this salad very refreshing, a nice antidote to heavy food.

https://cooking-spree.com/2011/05/15/moroccan-orange-salad-with-red-onions-black-olives/

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1