Menu

Math U See Alpha alternative for struggling 1st grader

anna.mullenax

Hi everyone! 

I have been searching around and coming up with some good info already from old threads but thought I'd post my exact situation and see what you all think!

I have a 7 year old first grader who is during Math U See Alpha.  We made it though approximately lesson 10, which is adding 8.  She hasn't "mastered" all the facts before that but she can always do them with the blocks.  She has no problem with the blocks in front of her and she's asked to add two numbers.  We have gone painfully slowly through this lesson because all along the way I have tried to get her to memorize the facts from each lesson.  

But, unless it is adding +1 she NEEDS the blocks.  She can't add 2 in her mind or memorize the facts. We drilled for a while on the +2 facts to see if she could memorize them and I kind of came to the conclusion that she just couldn't.  She would know them with the flashcards after lots of drill, but then the next day it would be on her worksheet, or I'd bring up a "real life" example with a fact I thought she "knew" (like oh look, you have 5 crackers, what if I gave you two more?) and she would have no idea and just guess.  

Sometimes I say look at your fingers (adding on my fingers was really helpful for me as a kid, I don't know if its bad or not) and I even tried teaching her some methods to add on her fingers, and she could NOT do it.  She didn't understand that one hand is ALWAYS five and so the next hand you "count on" from 5.  So for example I'd say "5+2.  try it on your fingers"  she'd hold up 5 and then 2 and then have to start from 1 and count all 7 fingers, even after showing her many many times that you don't need to start from one because you know 5 is a hand. 

Another thing is when the problems are the "Solve for the Unknown" variety, she chokes.  Every time they come up I have to walk her through how to do them.  Once I do one (painful) with her, she can do the rest, but whenever she sees ___ + 4 = 10 or whatever, she will inevitably write "14" if I don't point out to her that its different, and then once I do, it's like she's never seen it before and she panics.  

I am struggling because I know Math U See is "mastery" based but she just is not mastering it.  I feel like I'm at the point where I need to decide, AM I trying to get her to master this?  Because if I am , I can't move on to the next lesson.  And if I don't focus on mastering lessons 1-10, then is she going to not "get" the rest of Alpha?    And if I don't need her to master these facts now, then what should I do?  Switch to another curriculum?  If so, which one?  

A few other things:

1.  I need plans to help me know what to do every day during math time.  Saying "work on adding up to 10" is helpful, but I need to know like what do I do each day to know we are making progress in the math she needs to know in 1st grade?  my personality is such that I love being told a plan by an "authority", and then putting that plan into action.  Not so good at making my own plan.

2.  She has serious math anxiety.  She complains of stomach aches every day before math and if she has the slightest bump in the road, she cries.  She doesn't like it...and sometimes has complete meltdowns.

3.  Times we have taken "breaks" from Alpha to play math games (we have the right start math games set and math dice jr.) it is like starting from scratch when we try to go back to Alpha.  It doesn't stick.  And games are tricky because of the next thing...

4.  I have a 5 year old who is in kindergarten and is already "better" at math than her older sister which is really tough.  I don't compare them on purpose and obviously don't praise one above the other,  but they are both in Math U See and I could see right away the difference in my 5 year old. She just gets it.  She can think about numbers in her mind.  She has breezed through Primer and I have been trying to slow her down because I haven't wanted her to catch up to or pass her older sister.  So that is a factor in curriculum choice...should I switch my 7 year old so she doesn't see her sister passing her by in Alpha? My 5 year old can already do it.  She watches her older sister's math lessons and is chomping at the bit with answers she has figured out in her head.  I can't help but feel "proud" of her natural math ability and frustrated by her older sister's "lack".  I know this is terrible of me to think.  No one told me about this particular aspect of homeschooling, where the younger might be better at something than the older...before this I just had complete confidence that all my kids were going to take to all their schoolwork easily, like I did as a kid.  I'd love some wisdom about this.  I check my attitude every day about this because I really don't want this to become an issue.

I am thinking of just starting day 1 of First Grade Math all over with my 7 year old, starting with a new curriculum. But I just don't know which one to try and it REALLY overwhelms me, it can't be anything where I have to figure it out what to do every day, it needs to be easy to figure out how to teach.  I am fine spending tons of time teaching it, but not ok with being confused myself on what I'm supposed to teach.  I like the videos and teachers book of Math U See a lot.  So something along those lines but not geared around memorization?  Or maybe its ok to just keep going in Alpha without memorization?  That would take a lot of the pressure off of both of us!

Math, more than anything, has made me think about sending her to public school.  I just feel like I'm failing her!  And then I get frustrated, and sad to say, sometimes angry :(  I also know I need to make this a matter of prayer and patience and encouragement.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!

Get the book Addition Facts That Stick by fellow Boardie Kate Snow. It is brilliant, fun, and will help your student visualize every Addition problem with minimal effort. She won’t have to memorize anything- she’ll be able to just know the facts! Took us just a few weeks to work through the book then we returned to our regular math curriculum with success.

• Like 2

I'll second Addition Facts.  Or going slower and using the Gattegno book 1 that's available online.  It's meant for c-rods, but you can substitute MUS blocks.

Also, have you looked at Tiny Polka Dot?  It's a deck of cards meant to build mastery of numbers.  It comes with instructions for 16 different games that go from learning to see numbers to addition facts to 20, so perfect to supplement Alpha.

BUT, you might want to cross post this on the learning challenges board.  They may suggest things like Ronit Bird to help your dd understand numbers better.

Get the book Addition Facts That Stick by fellow Boardie Kate Snow. It is brilliant, fun, and will help your student visualize every Addition problem with minimal effort. She won’t have to memorize anything- she’ll be able to just know the facts! Took us just a few weeks to work through the book then we returned to our regular math curriculum with success.

I would start here. It is fun and visual. It sounds like she doesn't have good number sense/concrete number understanding. She may not be extrapolating what she is learning from the blocks. Spending some time on Addition Facts that Stick and really letting her work with various manipulatives (fingers, dried beans, contents of the junk drawer...) some kids just need more time playing with the concepts.

What is most important is that number sense. Understanding how to get 5+2 snd why the answer is 7 not just that it is 7.

• Like 1

1.  Right Start might help.  However, if she is struggling this much with MUS Alpha just hopping curriculum may not be of much assistance.

2.  She may not yet be able to make the leap to more abstract understanding.  It is fine if she needs manipulatives right now.  Let her keep using them.  This can be developmental as much as a good or bad fit curriculum wise.  She may need more time for her brain to be ready for that leap.  We all develop at different rates.

3.  Math facts are something you can continue to work on but I would not be stressing that math facts are not coming automatically yet.  She is young. For some children memorizing math facts may take years.  As long as concepts are coming along math fact learning can be done on the side.  In fact, with programs like CLE they have math fact practice daily but it is targeted and a side thing to the main lesson.  During the main lesson a student can use a math fact chart so they can keep learning concepts without getting bogged down and held back if math facts are taking a bit longer to gel.  While having math facts memorized is VERY helpful, not having them memorized does not mean a child cannot learn math or needs to switch curriculum.  Memorizing math facts uses different processes than learning math concepts.  

4.  If your child continues to struggle as you describe you might look into dyscalculia.  

5.  Another resource that might be very helpful is the book How the Brain Learns Mathematics by David Sousa.  https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Learns-Mathematics-David-Sousa/dp/1412953065

6.  The greatest resource you might look into are the Ronit Bird books and ebooks linked below since they are designed specifically to help children who struggle.   http://www.ronitbird.com/

Hang in there.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

Honestly, I would let her just keep using the manipulatives. Don't bog her down with abstract drill--she's not ready for it yet. She needs the concrete visual and kinesthetic practice that the blocks provide. Let her use them and be successful. I'd even let her take more than a day on the sheets if she needs to. That won't hurt her at all. If she sees her younger sibling doing better, tell her not to worry about that. She'll get math. We all have things we're good at and things we need help with. Her good things are ____ (maybe art, helping others, kindness, singing, imagination, building with blocks--whatever she loves to do). So, it's okay to need more help with math. 

I would automatically do a demonstration of the ___ + 4 = 14 type of problem when it shows up. Ask her to grab a 4, and then ask her how much more she needs to make 14. Eventually she'll see that it's a 10, but if she counts out 1's and then needs to trade them in, let her. Work on it in a few different ways. Make it easier for her to be successful, and encourage her a lot. 

• Like 3

I would keep using the manipulative and book and start saving for a comprehensive assessment. It could take months to a year to see someone good and cost thousands. If between now and the appointment it clicks for her cancel the appointment and use the money for something else. If you wait another year though and it still doesn't click then you will be looking at not getting a diagnosis until she is nine - and you say she is already stressed about maths.

The profession used here at schools is

Counting all objects from one using fingers (where she is now)

Counting on using fingers (ie 5,6,7)

The same but with your hands behind your back.

Using imaging but still counting on.

Edited by kiwik

One other idea with MUS:

In the beginning of the teacher's manual, it should have notes on a process for the child.  Step 2 is rather like the first step in the Montessori 3 part lesson: introducing the concept.  You are showing the concept to the child (or the dvd is).  We used to pause the dvd and have the child do the work with Mr. Demme.

Step 3 is practice, and here is where I would start asking questions to make sure he understood the process.  "Let's read it together"  "What numbers do you have?" "What do you need to do next?" "Can you make the triangle?" (we use a Whole-part-part triangle to show the relationship, with the Whole number being on top.  It's preparation for factor trees)  We've also used index cards to place blocks on with paper operations signs in between. 

Step 4 is the most important, more important than the paper test.  She needs to teach you the lesson.  If she cannot, then you go back to step 3.  And you sit there until she can. 

You're in lesson 8, but I'd go back to lesson 1 and spend a few days on each lesson in January where she gets the lesson again, plays with the concept (the Gattegno book, RS games, or Tiny Polka Dot would be good for this), and then teaches you the concept.  If she can't teach any of it, then it's time to look at Ronit Bird.

• Like 1

If you want something to just get you past addition/subraction, the Addition Facts that Stick and Subtraction Facts that Stick have been excellent for my kiddo. It has short lessons (spelled out so you know exactly what to say and do) followed by a week of games (or more if you need it).   It really enforces the 5 split your child has trouble with.  When I'm doing it, after a full week on one game we'll go back and play the others before moving on just to review.

I know games are an issue with your youngest.  If you feel like it's making her insecure I would do it in another room while your younger child watches a video or something, just so she she's not comparing herself to him.   Maybe let her brother join only on the review once she's mastered it or come close to mastering it.

Another thing that helped was jumping out answers during math drills...physical activity has been shown to help brain activity, so its more than just making it fun. 

Edited by goldenecho

One tip I have taken from these boards which has helped us address feeling like a failure at math is to end the lesson with something fun and easy. We do a page from an Evan-Moor Skills Sharpener book. (Dd likes worksheets.) We are almost finished with the 2nd grade one for our third grader. She leaves math feeling confident because it did not take her long to complete one of those colorful pages.

I would definitely x-post on learning challenges. The specific examples you mention (not being able to remember or at least come up with her +2 facts mentally, not getting "counting on") would make me look into materials for dyscalculia.

This is NOT being bad at math. This is not about "math just isn't her strength, and her sister is a natural." How does she do with math that is NOT arithmetic-- spatial reasoning and logic puzzles? She may struggle more with number sense, but there may be aspects of math that her sister will one day struggle with. (A comparison I'd make would be a kid who thinks she's a terrible writer because she can't spell.)

But man, is it hard to work with a kid who struggles with math when YOU always just got it...I hate to say it, but naturally mathy people can sometimes be the most impatient, unimaginative teachers. (Or do I only speak for myself here? :blushing: )

Thank you all SO very much. This is all very helpful.  I will cross post this on the learning challenges board and see what turns up.  My inclination is to try Addition Facts that Stick for a while as so many of you recommended that, and then reassess from there if I need to switch up curriculum entirely (in which case I'll look at the ones you all recommended such as CLE, Rod and Staff, Right Start) or if it seems like she is struggling to the degree that I need to seek further help and start looking into Ronit Bird, etc. 

I also appreciate all the wisdom about ways to approach math with her in an encouraging way and to let her use the manipulatives as long as she needs to.  It is indeed SO hard as @fralala pointed out to explain a math concept that (to me!) doesn't seem to need explanation.  I have to keep reminding myself that this is what a teacher does.  sounds silly and obvious but it's not my strength... and makes me second guess my "calling" to do this homeschool thing!  

• Like 1

I have to keep reminding myself that this is what a teacher does.  sounds silly and obvious but it's not my strength... and makes me second guess my "calling" to do this homeschool thing!  

Sweets, this is your on the job training. :laugh:

My family was talking last night over dinner and the 18yo and I laughed about him being the guinnea pig - for EVERYTHING.  We bumbled our way through school, found our footing, slipped again, found it again.....but all those 8 years made me a better teacher.  I read more, listened more, and filled my toolbox slowly with different techniques.  I branched out to working with other kids, and tutoring, and now have a whole different set of issues to deal with when it comes to my youngest.

We are taught the same way our kids are.  We fall, we make mistakes, and we learn from them.  There is nobody who will be perfect at the beginning (except maybe Mary Poppins :lol: )  You grow as you teach.

• Like 2

Has your daughter done Primer? Does she need to go back and get a firmer foundation with it?

I would not stress about a student that wasn't yet memorizing their addition facts at 7. Nor would I be worried about a student that needed the blocks to solve the problems in Alph (or Beta, or Gamma, or Delta....). It is normal and common for a student to rely on the blocks for as long as it takes to learn the concept. The "solve for the unknown" problems aren't going anywhere, they will continue to appear in the books, so give her some time to learn how to do it on her own and walk her through the problems every time they appear. I would not worry that she needs the blocks to add two or more to a number, that is also normal for that age. It is actually a good sign that she can tell you what a number +1 is without starting from one and counting up. 7 is the age when she is supposed to start learning the concepts, not have them totally mastered.

I would really, really encourage you not to switch to R&S. I have two children who were (and are) wildly successful with it, and one who I tried it with beginning in 1st grade, and several  months into 3rd grade I admitted defeat - she still had zero number sense and hadn't learned a thing in over two years of daily math lessons. MUS is much, much better at teaching number sense than R&S 1 and 2. I started her on MUS Alpha partway through 3rd grade, and she finally started to understand math. Looking back, I don't think she would have begun learning math if we had started with MUS any earlier. I don't think she was ready for math (or reading, really) until 3rd grade. Beginning with Alpha in 3rd grade did not make her permanently behind in math; she is now in 8th grade and doing well in pre-algebra...something I could not have predicted ever happening when she was younger.

I would not worry about backing up or starting over at this point if that is what is needed. And despite what Mr. Demme says, I would not stop a child who understood the concept in the lesson but did not yet have the facts memorized from moving on to the next lesson. The fact memorization happens with lots of practice, so it will come with time. 

Everyone has covered your older child, but I wanted to pipe in for the younger.

- Get a different program for that kid and work someplace separate for math with both kids. Don't hold the 5 yr old back, but make sure you have talks with both kids about strengths. I would make sure the 5 yr old doesn't chime in during the older's math lesson. Get the younger her own math.

• Like 3