Menu

s/o from the plastic grocery bag thread...

I'm curious about one thing...if you have a large-ish family, and you do most of your grocery shopping monthly, do you find it practical to use cloth grocery sacks? I usually go to a grocery where you bag your own, because the prices are lower there. Usually the store is very busy, and I'm bagging my huge load of groceries as quickly as I possibly can because I don't want to delay the folks behind me. It definitely takes longer to bag with a reusable bag. They flop over, and are just generally harder to load in a hurry. I also have trouble with the idea of taking (probably) about 20 reusable bags with me through that checkout process.

Any ideas on making this work? I don't really like having tons of plastic bags around, and I don't really like throwing them away, either.

p.s. Have any of you seen the re-usable canvas bags from Barnes & Noble? They're beautiful!! I rarely shop there, so I wouldn't be able to buy enough of those to use. They're appx. $4.95 ea. with the purchase of 2 other items, or appx. $9.95 alone, and I'd never pay that when I could make a pretty bag or buy plain ones cheaply, but *gosh* they're pretty!

I'm curious about one thing...if you have a large-ish family, and you do most of your grocery shopping monthly, do you find it practical to use cloth grocery sacks?

It will likely seem impractical to you initially, but once you get into the groove, it'll be second nature. I use a combination of three things: My own cloth tote Organic Valley and Nature's Path tote bags; used boxes which the store has right up front (this is a natural foods co-op); and paper bags that have been used by other shoppers and are available for re-use. I imagine plastic grocery sacks would "flop around" as much or moreso than cloth totes. My first job, as a teen, was bagging groceries (ahem..."courtesy clerk" was the title:D) at Safeway. During that era, plastic bags came into fashion and I dreaded using those when customers asked for them. Aargh!

Just start using your own bags and boxes and what-not and like I said, you'll get the hang of it soon enough.

I imagine plastic grocery sacks would "flop around" as much or moreso than cloth totes.

The plastic bags fit on their little rack dispenser thingy, which holds it open for you so that you can bag with both hands. Maybe I just need to not worry about how long it takes me, and the inconvenience to the folks behind me (and their disgruntlement).

The reuseable bags I have (from two of the large grocery chains in the area) have hooks that hold them open on the same frame as the plastic bags. I imagine a canvas tote or B&N bag wouldn't be designed in the same way.

I love them - these cheap bags (the ones I didn't get for free were under $1) have held up beautifully (~2 yrs so far). They're sturdy - can be packed full, and I can always get my weekly shopping (family of 4) into 6 or fewer bags. (Even doing Grocery Game and stocking up at times.) Easier to load and unload the car, too.

As far as hurrying for the people behind you, I say let 'em wait, if this is what you prefer to do! I bet some of them are using reuseable, too, and will understand.

The reuseable bags I have (from two of the large grocery chains in the area) have hooks that hold them open on the same frame as the plastic bags. I imagine a canvas tote or B&N bag wouldn't be designed in the same way.

I love them - these cheap bags (the ones I didn't get for free were under $1) have held up beautifully (~2 yrs so far). They're sturdy - can be packed full, and I can always get my weekly shopping (family of 4) into 6 or fewer bags. (Even doing Grocery Game and stocking up at times.) Easier to load and unload the car, too.

As far as hurrying for the people behind you, I say let 'em wait, if this is what you prefer to do! I bet some of them are using reuseable, too, and will understand.

Actually, the B&N bag looks to be about the same size & design as the bags sold at the grocery. I still can't have them because of the price, but I really appreciate how pretty they are. None of the places around here have had free bags, that I know of. How did you find those?

I can see how shopping for a family of 4 for a week would take 6 or fewer bags, but I'm shopping for a family of 7, and I tend to go once or twice a month. Doing the math, I'd end up needing about...32 bags?

I've only seen people in my area using re-usable bags a couple of times, and people (including store personnel) don't look happy when you pull out your re-usable bags. I guess we're just not very ecologically aware around here. I'd definitely be a trend-setter. :D

None of the places around here have had free bags, that I know of. How did you find those?

I can see how shopping for a family of 4 for a week would take 6 or fewer bags, but I'm shopping for a family of 7, and I tend to go once or twice a month. Doing the math, I'd end up needing about...32 bags?

I've only seen people in my area using re-usable bags a couple of times, and people (including store personnel) don't look happy when you pull out your re-usable bags. I guess we're just not very ecologically aware around here. I'd definitely be a trend-setter. :D

Two of my free bags were a "green" awareness promotion when dh's and my office started recycling :001_smile: Two more were promotions at the grocery: "Buy XXX and get a free shopping bag" So I lucked out and only paid for 2!

Maybe you could start small - with 2, 3, or 4 bags? You'd be eliminating up to around 10 plastic bags that way, but not completely alienating the staff or other customers. :D

And I think it's funny about you being a trend-setter in your area- we're in OH for crying out loud! We're always behind the west coast on these things!!! I say have fun with it!:lol:

Actually, the B&N bag looks to be about the same size & design as the bags sold at the grocery. I still can't have them because of the price, but I really appreciate how pretty they are. None of the places around here have had free bags, that I know of. How did you find those?

I shop for a family of 7 and I use cloth bags instead of paper or plastic. I too feel pressed for time if someone is waiting behind me. It's the coupons, the two carts of food . . . usually people walk right onto the next line. :)

Don't feel pressured. Can you bring along your personal bagger? My 5 yo son looves this job. If someone says something just smile and nod and let it roll off your back.

My bags are stored in the back of the van so I don't forget them. I've an assortment from Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Jewel and I do have 1 B&N bag (soo pretty). Not sure how many I've got but I still need 1-2 plastic each time.

There are reusable bags that stand upright on their own; they are shaped like an opened paper bag. I have a three of these. Trader Joe's sells them ($2.99?), and I got two of them free from the grocery store (expired promotion leftovers). Have you seen these anywhere?

All my cloth bags stand up. I started small, with only one cloth bag, to see how it would work, and have gradually worked up to mostly cloth. I'd recommend buying just one or two bags to begin with and trying it out. I have multiple bags from all different places. Aldi sells huge cloth bags that hold as much as 3-4 plastic bags. Like a previous poster, I also have several from Trader Joe's that work great.

Kris

My bags stand up like paper, too. 99 cents each at Shop Rite and Weis. They're easier than plastic, because my groceries won't fall over when I put them in!

As a former grocery store cashier, I am extremely disappointed at the lack of bagging training people get now.

I shop every other week for a family of 6, and I usually fit everything in 10 bags or fewer. I need it done "right"!!!

I use Chico bags. They are about the same size as the plastic grocery bags, but they will hold 20 pounds.

I buy them from coops for usually $2.50 per bag.

And I only use cloth bags for my larger than average size family. If I go into a store and don't bring my bags, I only buy as much as I can carry out without a bag.

I shop for a family of 7 and I use cloth bags instead of paper or plastic. I too feel pressed for time if someone is waiting behind me. It's the coupons, the two carts of food . . . usually people walk right onto the next line. :)

Don't feel pressured. Can you bring along your personal bagger? My 5 yo son looves this job. If someone says something just smile and nod and let it roll off your back.

My bags are stored in the back of the van so I don't forget them. I've an assortment from Walmart, Hobby Lobby, Jewel and I do have 1 B&N bag (soo pretty). Not sure how many I've got but I still need 1-2 plastic each time.

Thanks CalicoKat, it's really helpful to know that someone in a similar situation regarding the amount of groceries and the bagging-it-yourself is making it work. It's even really really cool that you have an assortment of bags *and one of the beautiful ones from B&N*. Will you be my friend? :)

My reusable grocery bags are shaped exactly like the old brown paper grocery bags. They're made of a stiff synthetic material, so they stand up like paper bags too. I think I paid 99c each for most of them, and I've certainly used them enough to feel good about the purchases. Maybe just keep an eye out for flat-bottomed synthetic bags? I do love (and use) canvas for many things, but for grocery store shopping, I do find these the most convenient. (I also have a couple of thermal bags for keeping frozen veggies and dairy products cold...)

The plastic bags fit on their little rack dispenser thingy, which holds it open for you so that you can bag with both hands. Maybe I just need to not worry about how long it takes me, and the inconvenience to the folks behind me (and their disgruntlement).

You know, the reuseable bags I have (Trader Joes and Costco) are made from stiff plastic-y material and stay open and upright while I am loading them up.

Especially at Trader Joes, the kids and I do our own bagging... we go pretty fast. Sometimes we bag our stuff on the checkout counter, and sometimes we bag them right in the cart to save counter space.

The bags I use probably take up more room than the floppy kind that can roll up. But my bags do fold down flat, and I can carry them all (7 of them) in my one big insulated bag (which I use for frozen/cold items) until checkout. So it hasn't been a big hassle for me to either carry them around or put my items into them at checkout.

There are reusable bags that stand upright on their own; they are shaped like an opened paper bag. I have a three of these. Trader Joe's sells them ($2.99?), and I got two of them free from the grocery store (expired promotion leftovers). Have you seen these anywhere?

My Trader Joes bags were .99 cents each! :D I think they do also have fancier bags that are more expensive.

My cheapy bags are showing almost no signs of wear after a year of use... they are holding up really well!

Thanks CalicoKat, it's really helpful to know that someone in a similar situation regarding the amount of groceries and the bagging-it-yourself is making it work. It's even really really cool that you have an assortment of bags *and one of the beautiful ones from B&N*. Will you be my friend? :)

love to. :D

We use Costco and TJ's bags. They are big and sturdy and hold quite a bit. Costco sells huge insulated bags as well - they are great and can fit 2 gallons of milk and all my freezer and fridge section purchases.

It seems that it takes the same time to bag in reusable bags as grocery bags for me.

I make my own cloth bags like this one I sold a few months ago before like got too busy. It holds just as much as a plastic bag, is more comfy to carry in when it is HEAVY from the car, and it goes on the dispenser rack so it is easy to pack. I also use some of the cheap recycled poly bags that stand up open like a paper bag, but I MUCH prefer my cloth bags like that one.

If you want to make your own, it is really easy... you need fabric and a plastic bag!

We use Costco and TJ's bags. They are big and sturdy and hold quite a bit. Costco sells huge insulated bags as well - they are great and can fit 2 gallons of milk and all my freezer and fridge section purchases.

It seems that it takes the same time to bag in reusable bags as grocery bags for me.

I LOVE the costco bags. They're great about the size of a laundry basket and hold a ton! I do tend to forget them because I can't just fold them into one of the smaller bags like I do the rest. I do remember them when I go to Costco because they can hold the oversized items better than the other bags.

I make my own cloth bags like this one I sold a few months ago before like got too busy. It holds just as much as a plastic bag, is more comfy to carry in when it is HEAVY from the car, and it goes on the dispenser rack so it is easy to pack. I also use some of the cheap recycled poly bags that stand up open like a paper bag, but I MUCH prefer my cloth bags like that one.

If you want to make your own, it is really easy... you need fabric and a plastic bag!

very cool! Putting it on my homemade Christmas list -- instead of buying wrapping paper!