Menu

East Coast Earthquake

KungFuPanda

Parts of the northeast actually have big seismic issues, and the fault is overdue to go again. Google New Madrid fault if you want to freak yourself out :)

And that’s the biggie, but there is definitely movement along the Appalachians and Catskills too.

Like, what part of the Appalachian mountains???

So funny - half my friends all felt it quite clearly and I felt nothing.  It sounds like it was a little bigger than the one several years ago, 6 years? That one I really felt and I felt like that one damaged my house and now feeling a little anxious wondering if this one did too.... 

(and it's because my house is 150 years old with moderate structural issues -- not because I'm an "oh my goodness, it's an earthquake!!!" person)

So funny - half my friends all felt it quite clearly and I felt nothing.  It sounds like it was a little bigger than the one several years ago, 6 years? That one I really felt and I felt like that one damaged my house and now feeling a little anxious wondering if this one did too.... 

(and it's because my house is 150 years old with moderate structural issues -- not because I'm an "oh my goodness, it's an earthquake!!!" person)

There have been maybe 3 or 4 earthquakes in my neck of the woods. I haven't felt one (and I've been in 2 other earthquakes, so it's not like I'm totally oblivious).  One time, friends within a 2 hour radius of me felt it, friends all in my town felt it. Me? I was standing outside with my husband (who was laying on the ground under our car) and neither of us felt it. Earthquakes can be weird. 

Parts of the northeast actually have big seismic issues, and the fault is overdue to go again. Google New Madrid fault if you want to freak yourself out :)

And that’s the biggie, but there is definitely movement along the Appalachians and Catskills too.

Nope. Nope. Happier not knowing, but thank you.

• Like 2

I live in the suburbs west of Philadelphia and we felt it.   I thought it was just a heavy truck going by but one of ,my kids was chatting with a friend in southern Jersey and both noticed it. 

I spent most of my life on the west coast so earthquakes don't freak me out too much.  

So funny - half my friends all felt it quite clearly and I felt nothing. It sounds like it was a little bigger than the one several years ago, 6 years? That one I really felt and I felt like that one damaged my house and now feeling a little anxious wondering if this one did too....

See that one I felt quite a bit

I'm finding it completely strange the number of people in the exact same area that didn't feel it (and not the ones driving a car and such) like the several friends that were home, doing nothing much at all, and noticed nothing. And then someone just down the street said it was very obvious while another said their office building was obviously moving. 

So odd... please let my house have not felt it either!

I was scrambling to get out the door, grabbing supplies for the first out of the house  trip without diapers on trip, so I was a little preoccupied and can this phase (potty training) please be over already?

And this just renews my earthquake anxiety -- ugh. It's fairly on par with the fear of a house fire too -- both further heightened because of the age and structure of this house. I was being all antsy about the 2 tiny little earthquakes some friends in Columbia, MD felt in the past month, those quakes were really nothing at all, but still. Now to have one that is actually measurable makes me want to go find some industrial spotlights and look at my house, right now! 

And the anxiety is from watching the slow shifting of our house overtime that appeared to take an accelerate jump in shifting, we're fairly sure it correspond around the last "larger" earthquake. I'm sure the house is still not falling down around us, but I start to wonder if those little quakes are shaving 5 years off it's lifespan and just what is that lifespan.... Oh and we do plan to fix the problem, but we're still at least 3 years out from doing so as we manage some other financial needs first.

We had one here in Maine a few years back; my MIL and DH felt it but I did not even though I was sitting right next to them.

I grew up in earthquake country. They don't really freak me out, but it was surprising to find out that they happen here occasionally.

MIL is getting pretty used to them in OK now.