Menu

having "bad vibes" (?anxiety)

Please don't quote. Partially inspired by another thread.

For the record, I've talked to my PCP and I may go see a counselor to talk about CBT (insurance/finances/scheduling issues). 

So... I don't know what this is. It's not obsessive thoughts, depression, mood swings, existential crisis, situational anxiety, etc. It also doesn't feel anything like the gross squeezy thing when I think about infinite nothingness (aka what happens after).

It's like this gut feeling that something is wrong or off, or like when they go in a "haunted house" on the ghost shows and they're like "ooh, a presence!" It almost feels like the feeling I sometimes get when I have an allergic reaction, but really faint. Or like a migraine aura that never develops.

I'm just... unsettled. It's happened before, but it doesn't usually last very long. This time it's been a couple of months, although I'm not always aware of it. I'm pretty sure I'm not haunted, and there hasn't been anything to "trigger" the feeling during this period.

I'm going to work on sleep, getting into a chill-out-routine before bed, looking at my diet to see if there's any connection. Correct any environmental factors as best as I can.

Any other ideas from the Hive? Maybe I just need new coping strategies. IDK.

You want the truth? Every time I’ve felt that way, something or someone in my life truly has been off. It sometimes takes a while to come out into the open, but when I get that vague gut instinct that something is just not right...I trust that.

I suspect there is either a situation or person in your life that is giving you these bad vibes, but you’re not able to pinpoint it yet.

• Like 4

Without naming specifics, "the times" or the current political climate are contributing to many people's feelings of anxiety and dread, as we head into winter. I keep seeing headlines about it. These are not simple, happy or easy days. We may think we have no real worries because our immediate families are OK for today, but the cumulative effect of a lot of negativity and worry will stack up on folks.

I know more people setting aside emergency supplies now, than I did for Y2K. And I knew a lot of Y2K preppers. Today's preppers are pragmatic, both conservative and liberals, who are concerned about foreign policy, economic downturn, climate change-related disasters, and world war...those of us with families with serious medical issues live as if waiting for a shoe to drop...

It probably all falls under the heading of generalized anxiety.

• Like 8

Try exercise in nature and quiet time for journaling and introspection.

It sounds like you might feel unbalanced and not centered. Think about why. Are you living the life you want, doing the things you want to do, with the people you want to do them with? What is missing? Do you feel fulfilled in what you do? Do you feel stifled in your creativity? In your agency?

Sit with the feeling and dig deeper. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Exercise would be high on my list of things to help with the unsettled feelings, and maybe Valerian root at night.

ETA: Caffeine might have to go if you haven't eliminated it already. I know that I've become much, much more sensitive to caffeine as I've gotten older. Don't think I can take it out--I might die without my morning tea--but I am much more jittery than I used to be if I have too much.

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 2

Is it like a sense of impending doom? I have anxiety and OCD and have gotten that feeling frequently all throughout my life. It waxes and wanes for no apparent reason, and none of the many anti-anxiety techniques I've tried have ever gotten rid of it. I'm not sure if I have a little brain glitch that causes it, or maybe it's a result of my childhood that was spent always anticipating and preparing for the next bad thing to happen.

Selkie-- that is what I get with allergic reactions. This is a much, much fainter version. I do have a similar history as far as planning for the next bad thing. Maybe that's what this is... like, the lizard brain says there has to be a predator somewhere so it can't turn off the vigilance. 

MedicMom-- this is usually the case for me too. I wonder if you are right and it's something I've been interacting with for a while, but it is such a low-grade disturbance that it's not screaming at me so I can't pinpoint it.

Regentrude-- good ideas. I don't like the answers to any of those questions right now. I'll have some free time tomorrow, maybe I'll sit on the porch and get some air and think a bit. I don't like thinking at night because then I can't sleep. 

Critterfixer- ooh, good one. I had a tea with valerian a few years ago and it did help, and no "benadryl hangover." I have some chamomile and some regular sleepytime, but maybe the store has a tea with that as well. 

everyone-

The caffeine and vitamin suggestions are probably right on-- I'm going to start taking a baby multi again tomorrow. It is kinder to my poor tummy than other options. 

I got to ride through the woods today (in a car) and it was really nice. I'm a little exercise limited right now since I'm on activity restrictions due to a fracture. Maybe I can do some floor barre, though. 

And thank you all. Not least of all for not suggesting that maybe I am haunted.  :mellow:

MedicMom-- this is usually the case for me too. I wonder if you are right and it's something I've been interacting with for a while, but it is a low-grade disturbance so it's not screaming at me. 

Regentrude-- good ideas. I don't like the answers to any of those questions right now. I'll have some free time tomorrow, maybe I'll sit on the porch and get some air and think a bit. I don't like thinking at night because then I can't sleep. 

You say that you recognize the feeling as what you experience before an allergic reaction - could you have some chronic allergy issues that wax and wane? Periodic feelings of overwhelmedness or doom were one of the symptoms that went away when my allergies were under control. These days, if I'm feeling 'off', checking for allergy triggers is my first step.

• Like 1

You say that you recognize the feeling as what you experience before an allergic reaction - could you have some chronic allergy issues that wax and wane? Periodic feelings of overwhelmedness or doom were one of the symptoms that went away when my allergies were under control. These days, if I'm feeling 'off', checking for allergy triggers is my first step.

Me too, though mine are really high histamine levels without a definitive allergy. I have some foods that contribute, and the amount needed to make me feel this way varies.

Ooh. It did start around the same time I used to have the allergy "sniffles" start. I thought I was getting away from them. 

Hmm. 

A couple years ago I went through December feeling impending doom. It had been a rough year and I still had pain from injuries. I just thought the holiday stress was pushing me. Nope. Bladder infection. Seriously. It is an easy thing to check. If I had not had my routine gyn appointment after Christmas I might have ended up with a kidney infection.

I would rule out the more likely stuff first, but if you can't resolve it with things like diet or CBT, you might want to consider having a consult with a neurologist. Weird feelings that you can't really describe can be related to something neurological. I sometimes get a similar feeling at the start of my pre-seizure auras.

It's like this gut feeling that something is wrong or off, or like when they go in a "haunted house" on the ghost shows and they're like "ooh, a presence!" It almost feels like the feeling I sometimes get when I have an allergic reaction, but really faint. Or like a migraine aura that never develops.

I'm just... unsettled. It's happened before, but it doesn't usually last very long. This time it's been a couple of months, although I'm not always aware of it. I'm pretty sure I'm not haunted, and there hasn't been anything to "trigger" the feeling during this period.

Adrenaline spike?

I do have anxiety issues and, while they're most often triggered by actual things, sometimes they seem like they come out of nowhere.  Seem, not necessarily do.

I got one a couple of weeks ago, just driving down the highway, happy as a clam.  It kind of came out of nowhere and was bad enough for me to keep track of exits and wide shoulders just in case I might need to pull over.  It didn't feel like there was any reason, but the truth is that I had major driving anxiety issues a few years back.  I figure there was some sort of subconscious trigger at play that day.

The more stress I'm under, the more often it happens.